Greg
Years ago

World Cup structure - Boomers can avoid US in QF

Having a quick look at the structure, it seems that if Australia can't get the #1 spot in Group D than we're better off being third in the group to avoid the US in the quarter finals... Am i reading this right?

Perhaps a loss to Lithuania tomorrow will be a good thing

Topic #35291 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A foregone conclusion perhaps but a good thing is more debatable.

Reply #491050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Boomers locks to beat Mexico?

Mexico looked pretty good v Lithuania

Reply #491057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like we have a choice with Lithuania....

They will beat us easily and we will probably avoid the USA in the quarters by finishing 5th in our pool, just sayin !!

Reply #491081 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

We are still in the fight for first actually.. But then again the team needs to pick it up, and quick! I assume Slovenia will have a loss at some point, if we win from here on.. does it come down to head to head or points aggregate > ?

Reply #491082 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

We're better off just qualifying. Until we make sure of that, worrying about where we place isn't much of an issue.
Lithuania could easily knock off Slovenia and us, then third place will be the best we can hope for.

Reply #491084 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Let's qualify first!

Reply #491085 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If we don't qualify top 3 though, its barely worth qualifying. But then again, it would feel a bit of a joke to qualify 3rd and find yourself in the medal rounds, wouldn't you feel a bit like a faker? I don't know.. just me.

Reply #491087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But then again, it would feel a bit of a joke to qualify 3rd and find yourself in the medal rounds, wouldn't you feel a bit like a faker? I don't know.. just me."

Yep, just you.

Reply #491089 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Definitely just you.

Reply #491090 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Ok, Lets say we qualify 3rd, that pits us against second place Turkey we assume. Are we a real shot of beating them do you think? they did give the USA something to think about for 3 quarters

Reply #491091 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I guess the logic is we have a better chance against them than the US.

Reply #491095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they only beat NZ by three. Of course we're at shot.

Reply #491096 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Its funny that NZ and philo have been strangely competitive in their games.

Reply #491097 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of the first 2 rounds of Group D action (Australia's Group) plus previews of the next games.

2014 FIBA World Cup: Group D is still anyone's ball game

After two days of intense 2014 FIBA World Cup action in Spain, Group D remains wide open as all teams enjoy a rest day before embarking on three further games in as many days. Unsurprisingly, Slovenia and Lithuania have set the pace having not dropped a match. Australia is hot on their heels, while Angola would now fancy themselves to see Round 16 action with Mexico and Korea yet to add to the win column.

Reply #491105 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"We are still in the fight for first actually."
If we beat Lithuania, and all three teams win all their other games, Lithuania can either beat Slovenia for a three-way tie and risk points differential putting them second, or lose to Slovenia and get a guaranteed third place.

Reply #491106 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct. And GWB, NZ are pretty much always competitive in their games, they're a good team.

How about Senegal beating Puerto Rico and Croatia back-to-back?!

Reply #491109 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Senegal! Wow...watched the game and it was amazing.

Off to bed now if I am going to be able to get up out of bed for the Boomers next game.

Reply #491110 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

GWB,

You could argue that NZ should have won both those games.

Reply #491126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if we lose to Lithuania and beat everyone else we'll most likely finish third...right>

Reply #491199 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

My attitude would be, this is the World Cup so bring on anyone and if we are good enough we can beat them, end of story!

It's fine for us to debate the draw and the possibilities, but I sure hope the coaches and players aren't that concerned with anything other than their next opponent...

Reply #491200 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bear got there first.
Basically put your energy into winning each game there are still 3 pool games left to play no point thinking about the USA.

Reply #491206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just annoying how somehow we ALWAYS face the U.S in the QF.

Reply #491208 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ are going to beat the States tomorrow morning anyway ;)

Reply #491214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754