Anonymous
Years ago

Herbert to coach Geelong Lady Supercats!!!

The McDonald's Geelong Supercats have appointed 2003 WNBL Coach of the Year David Herbert as its new SEABL women’s coach.

Herbert, who coached both Townsville and West Coast in Australia’s elite women’s competition, as well as spending time as an assistant with Canberra under the legendary Carrie Graf, has signed a two-year deal.

"You see the vibe and success around what Basketball Geelong is doing and I thought it would be great for me to get involved," he told Supercats.com.au

“I think the professionalism of the program, the facility you have there, it’s a great opportunity to come down and build on some work others have done before me.”

A native of Gippsland, where he started his coaching before becoming part of the Vic Country program, Herbert has most recently he has been chief executive officer of Cairns Basketball.

The 41-year-old says he is excited by the challenge of trying to land the Lady Supercats their first SEABL conference title.

“You never stop learning in the game of basketball,” he said.

“I don’t say I’m the greatest coach in the world, but what I am going to do is come down and work as hard as I possibly can to try and achieve the results the Geelong program is after.

“It’s a quality group of players and a quality administration.”

Herbert has some links to the region stretching that stretch back more than 20 years.

“I used to come and play in the Geelong Try Boy’s tournament,” he said.

“And I coached at various tournaments, and I know Col Darrington and a number of the personalities down that way.

Basketball Geelong CEO Dean Anglin said Herbert was the ideal person to replace Bruce Hultgren, who guided the Lady Supercats to the East Conference grand final in 2014.

“We are delighted to have David leading our team in 2015,” Mr Anglin said.

“David joins us was enormous experience at the highest level of women's basketball in Australia and we couldn’t think of a better person to take our talented group to the next level.

“Through our discussions we have been very impressed with his analysis of our list and passion for success”

Herbert will arrive in Geelong next weekend for the commencement of open try outs on October 26 before returning to Cairns to complete his move.

Glenn Sharp will continue as assistant coach, while fellow 2014 assistant Tim Sanderson has been appointed as Head Coach of our Big V Youth League and VJBL under 18 women’s teams.

Topic #35753 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

Oh.....didn't realise he was leaving Cairns !

Reply #500052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting his sudden departure from Cairns.

Reply #500053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I give him a year.

Reply #500055 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

give him a year? then back to Cairns?

Reply #500056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or onto the next job maybe.

Reply #500059 | Report this post

LarryLegend  
Years ago

Good luck to Herbie, have known him since he was a young bloke and followed his career closely. A good coaching resume but it appears the gig will be a challenge from what others have said here.

Reply #500063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agree, a playing group that has alot to say and a board who listen. Recipe for a disaster for any coach.

Reply #500067 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Congrats Herbie! :-)

Reply #500069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a journeyman

Reply #500070 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good Luck Herbie, genuine nice guy.

Reply #500071 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Three exclamation marks, Isaac needs a rating mechanism for OP enthusiasm.

Reply #500084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. Only Geelong cares whats happening in Geelong.

Reply #500085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL anons^ who have no idea until they read about Geelong winning championships, then they say they knew it all along.

Reply #500123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Geelong pumping up Geelong on here (!!!)
Not a job many wanted by the low number of applicants is the word out of Geelong, the vocal team has had a negative impact in attracting coaches in numbers but herbie is a gun so he may be cleaning out the vocal few (cw...)

Reply #500184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a gutless board and CEO who backs players over coaches. Goodluck.

Reply #500203 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert is a good coach, they are lucky to have him, lets hope those players who influenced the board before realise how lucky they are to get a good coach, hope he doesn't take any crap from them or the board

Reply #500213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O.K understand the original coach was removed.
But who removed the last one. Players? or board? . Isn't he still at Geelong and still DOC.

Reply #500217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players were unhappy with his coaching style "not hard enough on them"...
Previous coach apparently lost the players "too hard on them"...
Im guessing Herbet better be just right .

Reply #500220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt the last coach play a role in getting rid of the first coach then he was shown the door. Hahaha Geelong seriously you are a joke. Goodluck Herbie.

Reply #500222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce Hultgren who coached the Lady Supercats this year is actually the head coach for the U20 boys VJBL team next year - so he is still involved with the club, just happens to be coaching another team.

The biggest joke is the people on hear talking crap about things they have no idea of - the rumours that fly on this board are laughable and I can't believe that people actually pay attention to a lot of stuff that gets sprouted. If you want to know what happened with the coaches this year then try talking to the players and their families because that is where you will hear the truth. The concerns that have been raised by the players have been raised over an extended period of time by more then just a handful of players; the club should have reacted at this time last year instead at after a couple rounds this season, but the changes that have been made have been for the good of the club moving forward.

Reply #500227 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, so they are happy to make an announcement and some people always want to slip a boot in, no matter which Association does this type of promotion I am amazed at how stupidly childish some posts are!

Maybe not that amazed, disappointed is closer to it...

Reply #500231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon I honestly dont know what players and families you are talking too.

Reply #500237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players for the truth? haha yeah right. It looks like they are the problem!

Reply #500344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce Hultgren does not do a thing without a personal or financial benefit.

Makes money off kids, not an insult, just how he operates.

Only coaching the U20 Geelong team because his son plays in that team.

Has not coached a Geelong junior team without a son playing in it or being paid (Lady supercats).

The Herbert appointment will be apart of a grand plan to have Lady Supercats in WNBL in 2017, only reason he would go there.

Reply #500365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They no doubt sold it to him that they would be entering into the WNBL.

Reply #500371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A team full of their own self importance. WNBL please.

Reply #500441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you leave a CEO job for a low paying SEABL gig??? obvisouly other carrots dangled!!!!

Reply #500459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754