Anonymous
Years ago

Penny Taylor to Dandenong Rangers?

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=82222&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=e4ce9f6ca7246c1cf8f441f7a0f2e991

Topic #35764 | Report this topic

!  
Years ago

this season is one of the closest i can ever recall in the wnbl - not one easy game - all teams genuine finals contenders.

Reply #500342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same rumour every year

Reply #500403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way to buy a title Rangers.

Mark Wright is pathetic.

Reply #500431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't penny coming home for family reasons? I believe her father is quite sick

Reply #500469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shame on the rangers for trying to bring penny back to her wnbl roots. shame shame shame! its really pathetic

Reply #500475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #500497 | Report this post

molten millie  
Years ago

Well if it works for Penny with family issues, great. If I get to see Penny Taylor play at home after all she has given to Australian womens basketball before she comes to career end or injury then I am happy for her to be here even if it means my team faces her. The bonus is that our younger payers get the chance dot play against and role model on such a quality player.

All good.

Reply #500506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great for the WNBL what a role model.

Reply #500516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Wright has been smashing through players, because he doesn't research anything about them, stuffed up his imports, bought back Monika Wright with a bung leg and now nervous because he knows his group is off the pace.

Every year he brings out the wallet to cover his coaching stuff ups and players leaving.

Way to go Rangers and Way to go Wright! I hope he gets bumped in prelim again and again.

Wake up Rangers and get rid of this pathetic oxygen thief.

Reply #500517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

500517...... Geez cut him some slack will you, like he has a crystal ball and could see that Lizzie was going to rupture her achillies, and as for Monica...how about she disclose that she was going to need more surgery BEFORE she signed that would help. He probably should have kept Leilani Mitchell over kath McLeod , but she's the mother of his grandson his sons partner so that wasn't going to happen. Alice Kunek went for minor shoulder surgery which ended up being a reco job that put her out for 5 months not the 5 weeks they first thought. He may not be coach perfect but the guy has no control over injuries that happen away from HIS trainings.
So now rumour has it penny Taylor is returning, talk about green eyed monster envy, if it is in fact true, then good luck to the rangers, they have the youngest team in the league currently, it's ok for every other team to go find their superstars but when it comes to rangers they are BUYING a premiership , grow up for goodness sake.

Reply #500521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny Taylor is hot..

There, I said it!

Reply #500528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut him some slack?? You are suppose to recruit and retain teams not have different players every season and then have to buy teams to make them competitive again...

Abby Bishop
Jess Foley
Tracy Gahan
Lauren King
Ashley Robinson
Krista Phillips
Steph Cummings

Just ask one of these players thoughts......

Reply #500551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And for every player who has a chip on their shoulder because they didn't get what THEY wanted out of the season, their will be just as many who did. Many reasons why players don't return , some because they are not asked too, some want a bigger role in a less talented team, some who are very young expect big minutes over others purely because they have a bigger ego, some have reached their use by date and some just don't fit with the coach, that's true of any team, the fact that Dandenong rangers probably have the biggest budget in enable due to a very generous sponsor allows them the luxury of buying good players, but that inevitably means these big players play big minutes. Rangers have not had a decent big for years, krista Philips was their last true big amid was useless , always injured and not a team player .
Dandenong also have several homegrown players unlike most other teams out there,and have produced many many more that now fill the ranks of enable, so they must be doing something right.

Reply #500553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replace enable with WNBL.....prempted text is a pain

Reply #500557 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Done deal, will begin agAinst Townsville.

Reply #500603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gives a rats if the Rangers have had to spend up big to get her. It's great to have our best talent playing in OUR National comp.

Reply #500616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree

Reply #500633 | Report this post

Ranger Nation  
Years ago

Looks like a done deal...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/wnba-star-penny-taylor-will-play-for-dandenong-for-the-rest-of-the-year/story-fngnvoeu-1227107463812

Thank you Jerry Ryan for bringing Dandenong another Championship!! :)

Reply #500634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Job Mark Wright - Smashed, embarrassed and clearly your noose is getting tighter. What next Dianna Taurasi?
Who else can you buy to save your fate?

Or Sorry are you developing talent NOW?
Sherf cant wait to leave, Clydesdale hasn't improved at all, Phillips hasn't come on in 3 years. Mijovic and Blicavs would never play for you ever again. Great Development program.

Keep up the good work. Kudos to the CEO of Rangers too, great re appointment.

Reply #500635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great how they can't seem to keep anyone.

Blicavs, really gone up a notch with Bendigo.
Fadjlevic slowly but surely getting up there.
Mijovic had a good season in Canberra, let's see how Adelaide gig goes.

I'm glad they didn't get Bunton there which was rumoured early. Would have been a one hit wonder.

Reply #500640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sherif at 18 would not be a starting 5 centre in any other team, yes only due to Lizzy getting injured, but he still has given her the opportunity. Clydesdale has also been given the opportunity to step up and at 21 having a starting position and good minutes that's not bad either. She had all seabl to improve her game if she hasn't how is it wrights fault.
Phillips, well that's another story, she reached her peak as a junior, needs to get her training more consistent before she can be taken seriously as a contributor in this league.
As for Blicavs,Fadjlevic and Mijovic, they are all still so young, they only get minutes in teams that do not have the depth that rangers have, look at Rosie Fagjlevic, she hardly hit the CRT some games for Townsville last year under Chris Lucas,Blicavs the same at Bendigo, Mijovic had to play a 5 which she hates, what's changed for any of them, they would have had the same outcomes had they stayed at rangers. Don't hear anyone nagging those coaches.
He does need to have more faith in his bench but he's not the only coach guilty of running with 6 or 7 players to get a win.
Get real every coach out there have their quirks and issues, people just like to bag this guy because he happens to have a huge sponsor.

Reply #500643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of rubbish!! Check tonight's box score. Only 6 Rangers played more than double figure minutes and 4 played over 30, in contrast 10 Spirit players played double figure minutes and not one played more than 30 minutes. Just who has the depth??? No team has the depth that Bendigo has because Harrower was rested tonight and Penaluna is still to return from her knee injury as well. It is going to take a lot more than just adding Penny Taylor for the Rangers to catch the Spirit. What if either her or Pondexter go down with an injury? They will both cop a flogging in minutes played whilst Bernie can keep the minutes played down for all of his players.

Reply #500648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more as I said he needs to have more faith in his bench if only to rest his key players , but that's THIS season, those that left complaining were involved in past seasons. Do you really think if Bendigo had been loosing they would have run their bench, get real. Bendigo are certainly a great team no question, but don't compare this years rangers team with previous years, though the addition of Taylor and Kunek improving each week, once they actually get into a settled training pattern think you will find a very different team before the season is halfway through.

Reply #500649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many years has Lacey kept the bench warm!!!???

Reply #500650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly the word is losing not loosing and again you need to check the box score. 9 Spirit players took the court in the first quarter with Kelly Wilson (Opals squad), Garrick (SEABL MVP), Aubry (Canadian Olympian) and Oliver coming off the bench. The quarter ended with Spirit only up 28-25 but three of those bench players started the second quarter. Jane Chalmers (player number 10) took the court just 2 minutes into the second with Spirit only up 33-30. Chalmers played the rest of the quarter and Oliver played the entire quarter as the lead built to 57-47, the bench players did not just get "junk" time after a healthy lead had been built, they were there building it. With Harrower and Penaluna back in, these two would likely fall to 11 and 12 in the rotation. The only players who got "junk" time were Andrea Wilson and Tayla Roberts and they won't even get to suit up in a full strength Spirit side.

Reply #500653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And your point is what???? That Bendigo run deep, agreed, that mark wrights team ran out of legs because he didn't use his bench , agreed, but my initial post was nothing to do with tonight's game Charlie boy, no one is arguing that Bendigo are not a great team.so get off your high horse. Average age of rangers bench tonight is 19, Bibby is 16 just, Meinking 18, Phillips 20, Evans 20, and Kunek 22 coming off a 5 month recovery phase, second game in, and the only one with any WNBL experience, compared to Spirits bench. Only other two rangers have with WNBL mins under belt and limited ones at that are Sherf 18 and Antoniadou 17. Compare this with last years bench, and you can see why this team is so different
Any of those players who couldn't wait till they could get minutes so left for other teams would be playing big minutes in this current group. And the outcome would probably be a little different. As it would have been with a full strength uninjured rangers team, but doesn't seem to be rangers run this time.
Do you need spell check to work that out!!!!

Reply #500655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what people are missing here is not all players left to find minutes. Pretty sure Abbey Bishop and Foley weren't shy for time, they hate Wright. Steph Cummings? How long does the list need to be?
As for talent, Blicavs and Mijovic both best juniors in league and they left and would never be involved with Wright ever again.
Should we re hash on Cherryl Chambers? Thinks Wright's behaviour,lack of accountability and treatment of players is the worse she has ever seen.

What a joke trying to justify Clydesdale, Bibby,Evans,Meinking,Phillips. These are kids because no seasoned player would come to Rangers.
Wright has no choice to suit up under 18 kids, cause he can't recruit players without over paying and spending Jayco money.

Imagine an AFL coach losing top draft picks like Blicavs and Mijovic? Then another lottery in Cummings? 3 of the best Victorian kids in the league and they all left not to find minutes but to avoid the Wright environment.
Wait for Scherf to leave, another stud junior. Only at Rangers now because of Seabl coach commitment to develop.

Cut the crap. Wright has been a big spending turnover machine who not only has underachieved with his rosters but drove super talent and super star players away from Rangerdome.

Finally we get to see how out of his depth he is, even with WNBA all star Pondexter, Alice Kunek, his desire to play his daughter in law instead of Lalani Mitchell.
Lets hope Penny Taylor can save his fate, so far it's been a backward slide and a revolving door

Reply #500657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't pin dexter and Taylor have a bust up in the WNBL, and agree re Mitchell, he should have kept her not re run with McLeod but would be hard considering who she is in his family circle.

Dandenong board need to look to secure another major sponsor other than Jayco , that way they are not beholden to wright next season, and can put a new coach with new blood into the position before it's too late

Reply #500684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point is that in your attempt to defend the Rangers organisation and its coach you made some factually incorrect claims. I should firstly point out that I am not directly involved with the sport, merely a paid up member who travels to watch and support, so I can't comment on the comments made by others on such issues. I have, however, been involved as a participant/administrator/coach at high levels in other sports, both individual and team, and experienced some excellent cultures and unfortunately, some that have been fairly poor. Those experiences have taught me that the old cliché of there being no smoke without fire usually has a fair degree of truth to it and to quote Forrest Gump "that’s all I have to say about that".
You made a comment to the effect that Bernie would not have played his bench had Spirit been losing and, whilst they were not losing, the play by play log shows they were in anything but a comfortable position when he began to rotate, in particular the use of Oliver and Chalmers so heavily in the 2nd Q when they started to pull away. Not sure if you were at the game (I was) but the stats clearly indicate your comment was incorrect.
You also claim that Sara Blicavs left Rangers to chase more court time in a weaker team. Again the facts do not support this contention as she joined a Spirit team that had just won a Premiership with a 23-3 season. She faced a Grand Final MVP starting in her preferred spot as well as an All Star (Richards), an Olympian (Aubry) and an Opals squad member (Penaluna) all competing for time in the frontcourt, not to mention any situations where Bernie decides to go small.
To answer your last question, no I did not need spell check and in any case it would be ineffective as loosing is a correct spelling, but an incorrect word which is what I pointed out, not that it was misspelt. Loosing is the present tense of loose which means to be in the act of freeing from bonds, for example one who is setting loose the hounds is loosing the hounds. Losing is the present tense of lose which means to be either trailing in a contest or to be in the process of giving up possession of something, as in losing one’s mind.
You have every right to defend your club (if you are a Rangers member/fan) against what may be nothing more than ill-informed rumours, but you should not do so with factually incorrect claims about other clubs/players.

Reply #500755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a rangers fan per say , but do happen to know a few of the players away from the CRT, so what you Think you can see during a game, is in fact very different away from it. Try not to listen to rumours and hersay, unless it comes straight from the prevebial horses mouth!!!!! Agree where there is smoke there is usually fire but someone always has to get it going

Google is a wonderful tool when you want to appear to know it all too,

And your reference to Bernie running his bench...... Must be a new leaf, Tessa Lacey is a prime example she's sat there for the last few seasons getting splinters, just one example

Reply #500813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't this been fun again.....

We get it, you don't like Marcus Wright and you don't think he is a good coach.

Thanks for taking the time to convey your opinion.

Reply #500826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of those players that Mark Wright "didn't like" is totally running rings around his entire team right now! Go Abby Bishop! Dandenongs offenses or lack of clearly show the coaches are out of their depth!

Reply #500876 | Report this post

"And your reference to Bernie running his bench...... Must be a new leaf, Tessa Lacey is a prime example she's sat there for the last few seasons getting splinters, just one example"

It's Lavey and she only joined Bendigo last season and played behind Harrower and Wilson. Not many 20 year old guards would take minutes off those 2 last year.

Reply #500881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mcleod/Clydesdale/antoniadou
Pondexter/kunek/Phillips
Taylor/Cunningham/Evans/Pinaeu
Pickerel/bibby
Scherf/Parker

Lol, lacking serious depth in the front court.
Kunek and Cunningham are not power forwards...
With scherf out and pickerel playing centre.

How do they compete with the front courts of:
Talbot/bishop/Jackson
Newley/Francis/batkovic
Scheer/hodges/bunton
Cox/ruef/Johnson
Allen/Thompson/burton
Blicavs/griffin/Richards
Garbin/harberts/Tomlinson

Reply #500883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^exactly, bag wright all you like but the fact remains that they seriously lack strength in the front court.
Sherf 18 played limited minutes last season and is clearly not up to this as a starter just yet, though will be a star player in a few years, she's the best big they have and is currently not playing due to exams same as Antoniadou.
Meinking is the next big coming off bench, never played this level, brought in to train only until Liz was injured so green as, with a lot of work could be a handy big at 6ft5 same as Sherf, dande would still have the tallest 5s in league but the youngest.
Pickerel, athletic and quick and aggressive but size wise and build wise would be better in the 3, Bibby, she's a kid way out of her depth and shows how desperate Wright is to be playing her at all. Sure if she keeps developing she could be a great player as she is at junior level, but there she plays a big, her game would have to change to a 3 for her to progress to a senior level.

Hopefully Penny Taylor can bring bring an addition strength into the team, but they will still lack that centre presence.

Reply #500968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say what you want "Wright" has had is ass handed to him against Caps "With no NBA" talent. Bishop smashed them and Talbot solid too.
Townsville next to open a can of Whoop ass.

Good work Rangers, sit back and watch "Wright and the CEO" bury the club even further.

WNBL/SEABL women players cant stand Wright and the entire club, players and spectators hate the CEO David Grahame.

Great culture and great way to manage moving forward. Get the broom out and sweep up the mess.
Put them both in a Jayco caravan, send them miles away.

Reply #500982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the above, wright does not have many fans... And for good reason mind you, but whether people like him or not, the simple fact remains that he cannot coach! Did anyone see the timeout yesterday where he tried to diagram a play, which was so incoherent, unorganised and useless. Cappie was in multiple positions on his whiteboard and the whole play only used 4 players. It left me scratching my head and i had the ability to rewind several times. You could tell the players had no idea what was going on and Cappie just got up and walked off. Then he spits the dummy, like a child (yes we''ve seen this many times) and throws his hands up in a huff cause they didnt score off the play. He gives up and when things dont go his way because he doesnt know how to coach a team through plays and through situations. The line of "get it done" is not coaching, my grandma could tell them that.
When Penny gets back we might all have egg on our face, remember shes up there in the conversations of best players in the world, but they are miles off the pace at the moment, and he cant coach a team to over achieve.
They dont have the depth cause role players wont be his whipping boy, he treats people horribly, unless youre related, so people with half a brain dont hang around, thats why they only have the two ends of the spectrum.... Players they pay a bucket load too & then kids.
I worry for that place once Wright decides hes had enough from a point of view of the absolute shambles he will have left the place in. Im sure Jayco wont tip in the same money and there will be noone decent left!

Reply #500998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team would be better without wright and if that means Jayco pulls his money than so be it..... Would be better playing with a team that wants to play, not just for $, get a decent coach and things would improve!

Reply #501051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The line up for the short term will most likely be..

McLeod/Clydesdale
Pondexter/Phillips
Taylor/evans
Kunek/Cunningham
Pickrel/Parker

The 2nd lineup is really, really weak. Cunningham and Clydesdale offer something but the rest are just so inexperienced. Scherf and antoniadou are big outs.

The lineup would be:
McLeod/Clydesdale/antoniadou
Pondexter/kunek/Phillips
Taylor/Cunningham/Evans
Pickrel/bibby
Scherf/meinking

Taylor playing 2 or 3
Kunek playing 2,3 or 4
Cunningham playing 3 or 4
Pickrel playing 4 or 5

Reply #501057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meinking... Not Parker lol.

Reply #501058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

501057...... Sherf right now is doing yr 12 exams so too Antoniadou, but both these players will also miss another patch of games with un19 gems commitments in December,
Exams finish this week so rangers will have a full squad including penny Taylor, so perhaps Townsville will have to hold that can of whoop ass 500982!!!
But either way I'm sure it will be a much watched game, which frankly is what Dandenong management are aiming for.

Reply #501102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have Taylor bring Taurasi with her next year.

Reply #501496 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754