Anonymous
Years ago

BIG V movements

Just heard D2M leading scorer Andrew Kaban and his sidekick Jacob Coleman-Bock have left Oakleigh for Keilor. Big moves on Keilor's behalf but will be a hard hit to Oakleigh's hopes for 2015 after a good first season in BIG V.

Anybody got any other player movements worth noting

Topic #35824 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lester Strong and Brent Hobba to Casey, Matt Orchard and Jay McMillian make there returns to Casey.

Reply #501444 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Casey have announced their team for next season on their website:
Lester Strong
Brent Hobba
Matt Witherden
Jayden McMillin
Matt Orchard
Ashley Szalek
Stephen Michalski
Dean Johnson
Bevan Camilleri
Bradley Szalek

Reply #501446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The great Matt Witherden will continue to shoot a lot of 3s

Reply #501449 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

Honestly how will oakleigh compete without those two?
Without them they have an average age of like 17

Reply #501457 | Report this post

GA  
Years ago

Oakleigh will be just fine.

Reply #501473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People underestimated Oakleigh last year and they surprised everybody. Losing Kaban and JCB will hurt, but word is they had a few likley types at tryouts.

I wouldn't take it for granted that losing those two spells the end for Oakleigh in 2015, if they have a few recruits in hand, they may cover those losses without to much of an issue.

Reply #501486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James Topp from Pakenham and David Smith from Mornington to Keysborough. Surely even they couldn't throw this one away?

Reply #501499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When some games oakleigh only had 5 people score & and 80% of their total was between Kaban & JCB.
You'd wanna hope they have people that can replace them

Reply #501502 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

You would think it will be a WP vs Keysborough GF this year
Rumour has it that WP actually have some decent signings from a higher div

Reply #501504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh will be fine, look for Bob`s old Mckinnon charges to be playing back under him. Note the departing players from Chelsea.

Reply #501520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey women getting on the recruiting circuit as well. Amanda Hobba (Frankston seabl) and Tarryn wilkin (Sherbrooke State Champ) getting on board.

Reply #501521 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

cue anonymous "who cares, its d2 basketball and no better than domestic" comment just about any post now...

Reply #501523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares, its d2 basketball and no better than domestic.

Reply #501534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here we go again, have Keysborough not learnt that recruiting guys with massive egos does not deliver success?

Doubt they'll make finals

Reply #501540 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

Oakleigh will be just fine. Some ex McKinnon players reuniting with Bobby

Reply #501544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that their is enough problems going on off court at Keysborough that they have no chance at being successful in any of their teams.

Reply #501569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TBH we hear that all the time then they end up doing ok. It's probably people from Casey spreading rumours

Reply #501600 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

Ahh fair call on oakleigh then.
Can we please not have this turn into another casey/keysie argument.
Keysie will be interesting, any word on how Benn is tracking/Miraflores coming back?

Heard chelsea only has 2 guaranteed players after everyone left at the end of the season and Standefer would only still ne there because of his contract!

Also hearing along a reliable grapevine that theres a few leaving the shark tank as well.

Any word on new imports for teams yet?

Reply #501602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ex-mckinnon guys going to Oakleigh with Bob. Some more exciting young talent coming in though. Young being 20 to 24, so veterans by Oakleigh standards.

Word from tryouts is they potentially will be deeper with a greater scoring spread. Kaban and JCB leaving may be helping to recruit a better pool of talent with more guys involved!

Possibly another Import on the way as well with word that he is better than Kaban.

Reply #501605 | Report this post

I  
Years ago

Reply #501614 | Report this post

Chicken dinner  
Years ago

Bball4all we don't need to worry about this becoming a Casey Keysy thing as one is playing D1M the other is D2M

OUCH!

Reply #501615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Miraflores has left Keysborough for Craigieburn he is living back in that area

Reply #501617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miraflores never left that area, he was traveling from there to play at Keysborough.

As for Casey and Keysborough the only thing comparable between there two mens programs is both have lost in a grand final series.

One is now in rebuilding mode while the other is now through the help of $$$ moving up to the Division 1 level.

Both associations acheived nothing in 2014 with the mens sides not taking out anything and the womens teams both missing the finals. So why even bother discussing them?

Reply #501618 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

Fair call on each.

Wonder how Topp will be welcomed back at pakenham when Keysborough play there after how he left last season.

Speaking of Pakenham, any news on a coach yet?

Reply #501622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would suggest that the players should welcmome him very well, considering he went into bat for all of them and told the coach to stop bringing in new players each week and start developing the younger players they had.

Reply #501623 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Can anybody explain to me the point of trials.Is it players shopping themselves around or is more focused on juniors transitioning into a senior rep team?

Reply #501634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysy won YL

Reply #501636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough youth team got lucky, Had a whole team of ring in players with no Keysborough players in that team. Coburg were by far were the best team in that comp all year. The guy coaching Keysborough doesn`t have any idea about the game of basketball, I have no idea how he got that gig in the first place.

Reply #501640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon now DM. All if your obvious whining is getting a bit old mate. Better luck next year.

Reply #501641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sour Grapes DM

Maybe stop bagging other coaches and focus on revolutionising your zone so it don't put spectators to sleep.

At least you don't need to worry bout losing a third GF this year cod your sooking wore done the big v and you got to YL1 without winning anything

Reply #501644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysboroughs YL team had a lot of juniors/
Ex juniors.

I think you'll find WP and Keysie will
Be the teams to beat. Teams like Oakleigh
And Pakenham who have kept quiet
Over the offseason could be threats who
Knows.

Reply #501648 | Report this post

Smeta  
Years ago

Let's move on people. Our boys played a great year and were able to defeat some really good teams during the year and in the finals. We certainly had some outside players at the club "3" however the rest have come through the junior program at Keysborough and anything said otherwise is just BS.

2014 season is now done and dusted. Time for people to put their focus towards the 2015 season now.

Reply #501650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will all the new clubs / teams perform?

Any word out of Collingwood?

Reply #501651 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Happy Days, got told once that in order to get around the permission to train system, you basically have to have open tryouts? What i mean by that is that direct recruiting is not allowed?

Reply #501653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, there is nothing prohibiting snr teams from recruiting.

Permission to train only applies to juniors.

Reply #501656 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, so do seniors need a clearance? And do poaching by-laws still apply to seniors?

Reply #501660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VJBL laws don't apply to BigV.

You can poach as much as you like.

You need a clearance to change clubs if you want to suit up.

Id question the strength of a program in the lower Divs though that needs to hold open tryouts at Snr BigV level.

Surely the purpose of running a senior program is to provide pathways for your juniors.

Reply #501661 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Thanks.I was just curious as to its purpose.

Reply #501673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any other news on signings in D2?

Reply #501684 | Report this post

QT  
Years ago

Early money on a Oakleigh - WP Grand final.

There is a reason the other three teams who made the top 4 last year all went up to D1 and not Keysborough.

They have lost their best 4 players from last season Miraflores, Houpt, Benn and Jones. Replaced them with Smith and Topp.

Reply #501699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poaching is what it is called at the junior level, at the senior level it is called recruting.

Teams will often hold tryouts even if there future team is basically set in the hope that a surprise player might possibly rock up.

Reply #501707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Fennell to Ringwood is a big get for the Hawks.

Reply #501708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Open tryouts" screams "we don't have the cattle in pour program, nor do we have the ability to selectively recruit"..

You normally only see clubs with Coaches that have poor recruiting or networking skills and poor jnr development do this.

Reply #501710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if a big club like Dandenong or Knox is having open tryouts for their senior teams which they are, you are suggesting that they have poor junior development?

Reply #501716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong only have "open tryouts" for bigv teams not their seabl, those are invite only, but the so called "open tryouts" are actually in house as unless you have been in a rangers junior program previously then you have buckles chance of making the bigv youth champ sides. If your returning to Dandenong you have to let the DOC know

Reply #501726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, seriously Casey Men achieved nothing in 2014. 19 wins, up from previous best of 8. Lost Game 2 of GF by a point. Sure winning it would have been a bigger achievement but I don't see how you can say they achieved nothing.

Secondly, direct recruiting without try outs is great but not all clubs are in a position to be able to do that. Plus try outs do give clubs the opportunity to look at their promising juniors in the context of competing at the senior level.

It's so easy for people to come on here and bag the smaller clubs, particularly in Div 2. It's easy to coach or administrate at a club like Dandenong or Nunawading. The real test is what you're capable of achieving at the other end.

Reply #501730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL teams do not need to have external "open tryouts"...

Most SEABL club Coaches get inundated with requests to train or play. They don't need to open the door.

They advertise within the club to let their players know they can try out.

This is not "Open tryouts"...

Reply #501734 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Anon #501730.

Saying that a bigger club would be easier to Administer and manage is somewhat short sighted. Clubs the size of the ones you mentioned, would require a lot of management with the amount of teams/money & people involved. Each Club would have its own problems no doubt, but I definitely don't think the bigger clubs have it easy.
See Knox's current turmoil as an example.

Reply #501736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billy

While I understand your point, my point is that the big clubs find it much easier to recruit / attract players at both senior and junior level. They also have a pool of paid employees that do most of the organsising etc. I agaree, the scale of the big clubs adds complexity but the reputation (deserved or not) and the available funds to pay staff means that a larger group are doing the work. Now if the keys to the boat are given to the wrong driver, the ship will run aground (Knox).

Reply #501739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta the love the offseason! Oakleigh will be decent i would say. Bob doesnt really put a 'bad' team on court.

Can anybody shed some light as to what is happening down at Keysborough?

Being a Youth League coach myself i have been swormed with Keysborough players asking to come and play and this has ranged from starting 5 players to lower level players. A move up to d1 and from what people have said a huge number of players were either shown the door or left. Can anyone shed light as to why all these players would leave? Number of people in the know have explained it as a 'toxic' enviornemnt

Reply #501754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does a toxic enviroment result in a 2nd year team winning a championship?

Reply #501758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As written in an earlier post the guy coaching Keysborough YL in 2014 doesn`t have a clue when it came to the game of basketball. That was evident from watching the way he coached and how his team played all year. Obviously he put no steps in place to develop talent for the future and the team is now in disaster mode. Word is that players couldn't wait for the season to be finished so they could get the hell out of there, A number of the senior guys in that group have stated that trainings were a complete joke and the commitment from him to the team was well below par.

Reply #501760 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days, I see the coaching appointments are online for Mornington which looks better than that of recent years. DH being a great addition, GW getting his first real coaching gig and i believe he will have some guidance from an experienced coach which is fantastic!

My concern is the women's program, not the coach as i believe she has the experience to get the job done, but how will she be received by the playing group? Big difference being a State Champ assistant coach, then dropping down to D2 and having even remotely the same expectations. I am hoping she will come in and crack some whips, but will the playing group respond to that, or try and get her moved on?

Reply #501769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the results did speak for them selfs. They were a great team and did well obviously winning it all against a tough coburg team.

Reply #501770 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think Hanky will move into the main role the following season.Renay will be good but will the team buy in.If they dont she will be gone in one year which would reflect poorly on this playing group.Lets hope they have a fair dinkum crack!!!

Reply #501779 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Anon,
Appreciate your points, and while the bigger clubs can 'recruit easier' there are many examples of smaller clubs bringing some great talent to a club and propelling themselves to a higher level. Warrandyte, Southern Pen, Sherbrooke to name a few.

Reply #501790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What silly comments about open tryouts. Clubs that don't have them are a little small minded in my opinion.

I know a club this tryout phase who have picked up a few likley types at theirs. They picked up a 6-3 combo forward guard, two 6-4 shooting guards who all have never played BIG V before just domestic. They are all 20 to 22 athletic, strong and only came to basketball recently. two of those have never played VJBL before. They also have picked up another 6-8 kid who played youth league last year.

Would never have seen them had they not held or advertised their tryout sessions

You just never who is living locally, or may have moved locally or isn't happy at their club and live close by.

Don't hold open tryouts then you will never discover them.

Reply #501815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta agree with above post about Bob Mann not putting bad teams on the court. Last season everybody thought Oakleigh would struggle with plenty predicting they would finish bottom two. How wrong they were.

Bob should have got coach of the year last year for what he did with that first year team.

I bet plenty will write them off again after losing Kaban and JCB. It wouldn't surprise me if they improve instead.

The guy knows how to bring together and build a team.

Reply #501816 | Report this post

Tackle 84  
Years ago

Are you really a YL coach, if so why hide your identity?

I think you will find that the players coming to you have been cut as Keysborough's YL team is going to be significantly stronger this year and maybe the odd one who was not promoted to the senior side and want a new start.

'One persons trash is another's treasure' I'm sure Keysy are like they can have our scraps if they want, good luck to them.

Who in their right mind would play YL2 if they could play YL1. At that age they should be trying to play in the higher grade as it would help their development.

Reply #501919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tackle 84, So you are saying that the Keysborough YL side is going to be stronger in 2015 then they were in 2014?

Big call considering the quality of players they had in their best line up in 2014. From memory at the awards night they had a a lot of winners, All Stars, League MVP and they took out the title.

It must have been a really good recruting crop if they are "significantly stronger" then that.

Perhaps it is time for a clean out at the top end senior team at Keysborough and not at the bottom end which is what it looks like is happening.

Reply #502065 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I'm hearing Liam Norton might have retired...huge loss in the PG ranks of the league. Prob been the best local PG for last 3/4 seasons in the division

Reply #502067 | Report this post

tikity tok  
Years ago

yl team at keysy is not the worry

look at the senior side lost their entire starting 5 from last year and the coach is suspended until may next year

Reply #502177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the Tigers NBL/WNBL push in another thread, the linked article suggests the Tigers will push for SEABL next year rather then Big V.

Reply #502180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers are going to need to spend up big if they are going to do that. The two championship sides they have arn`t exactly setting the league on fire.

Reply #502183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is the coach suspended?

Reply #502223 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Who's coach?

Reply #502355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing Norton is not playing again too. Weird situation going from All-Star point guard to retiree

Reply #502369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep an eye out on some big news coming out of Pakenham

Reply #502540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've connected electricity???

Reply #502543 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

LMAO

Reply #502568 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I believe they have resigned Brett Rainbow as there marquee player....

Reply #502571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean re-signed?

Reply #502572 | Report this post

Chucka  
Years ago

Phil Smyth is making a comeback and playing for the Warriors?

Reply #502574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are changing their name to Pakenham United?

Reply #502575 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Was talk they signed Randy Anderson as there import....

Reply #502577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett Rainbow will be playing for Oakleigh in 2015 to cover the loss of Kaban, Pakenham got no one left

Reply #502578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hamburger Bob as second import.

Reply #502589 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Who can remember Hamburger Bob....There were quiet a few characters back in the old days.I remember watching Bart Barnes at Southern Pen.

Reply #502595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Packy have a bunch of the players who got cut or are to old from Keysborough`s youth League side.

Reply #502597 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days I remember both lol, Bart is actually coaching out @ Sunbury I believe and has just started to get involved with the country vic side of things.

Reply #502600 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ashke they also had the meat tray as the raffle prize.Is Ken Henry still in the country?

Reply #502605 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I personally haven't seen Ken in a while, but will ask around for you.

Reply #502611 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Maybe you could ask Ray Shirley how Ken is???

Reply #502621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah pretty much all of Keysy YL side have gone to Paky

So much for Paky promoting their own lol

Reply #502623 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

LOL, Happy Days knows his Peninsula history I see!

Reply #502627 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Albert Park Sunday Nights No refs call your own fouls...

Reply #502632 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Whittlesea sign female import:
http://www.610sportsmanagement.com/clients/item/331

Reply #503031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #503377 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Looks like a legit Import Happy Days, will be good for the league!

Reply #503381 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Southern Pen getting a mens import for next season Ashke? Lets hope if Mornington get a womens import she can actually play.Theres plenty of good ones around you just need to know where to look.

Reply #503397 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If i was going to sign an import female guard i would sign this girl.Tough as nails and check out her ball skills on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsejVJIbqQ

Reply #503402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was wrong with their last import?

Reply #503415 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Look at her stats, ticked all the boxs off the court.

Reply #503419 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days, SP mens are securing an import from what I can gather and I think it might be a returning import. Women's team have locked in an import, so I think you will find they will promote the mens import soon.

All depends on what you want from your import, some teams simply need them to actually win every game as the team doesn't have the depth to do it on their own, other teams might simply need an import to play a role and also help promote the club. Each to their own, plenty of good ones out there!

I couldn't actually tell you the name of Morningtons import from last season?

Reply #503420 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Different horses for different courses as they say.

Reply #503424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demarcus claims Mornington will take out this years c'ship

Reply #503531 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Won't win it with last years team,need 2-3 more players.

Reply #503548 | Report this post

Peg  
Years ago

Ryan Tindal will be playing there. Morno beat Western port in the bidding process

Reply #503571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be hard to scout as they wont be running anything it will be jungle ball. There is a small detail they may have forgot about in the game of Basketball though. you actually need to be able to stop the other team from scoring aswell.

Reply #503572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demarcus will actually lead the league in scoring as there is no coach trying to hold him back

Reply #503577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be very interesting, It is well and truly a weaker league in 2015. WP and their stacked list will be tough as will Mornington.

Have to ask at these teams who go out and chase all these offensive weapons, you do realise there is only one ball?

Who is going to step aside and become the role player or are they actually silly enough to think they will score 120 per game.

Reply #503584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That comment cracks me up. A weaker league .???? D2 will be much better than years gone by. Wodonga with two imports will be tough!! Coburg have 3 ex SEABL guys and an ex SCM player. Tindal to Mornington instantly makes them a chance, Wp will be 100000x better with ABK and apparently another SEABL player from Frankston. Oakleigh have a bunch of new recruits. And no doubt Keysy and Paky will open up the Cheque books again. Will be much improved from 2k14

Reply #503644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you even have 2 imports in D2?

Not sure Coburg have 3 ex SEABL guys? ex SCM, yes.

Reply #503824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the 3 ex SCM at coburg?

Reply #503837 | Report this post

tex mex  
Years ago

Reply #503935 | Report this post

tex mex  
Years ago

Coburg will be up there this season. Probs the best team they've had on floor since they won the championship a fair few years ago now

Reply #503936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysy and a cheque book? lol where are you getting that from? I have mates that play there and they all pay $500 each to play, nobody gets paid including the coaches.

Reply #503938 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

How can you say D2 will be better this year when 3 of the top 4 teams have been promoted to D1?

Reply #503946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, it's D2... The only Divisions worth discussing are State Champ, VYC and D1, the rest is glorified domestic. The standard in D2 and below would vary significantly between games. Some teams will boast some talent that simply doesn't play at a higher level purely because they cannot be bothered training properly. But to be debating whether or not the standard is any higher/lower than previous seasons, who cares? We may as well be talking about A Grade over in Warndoo.

Now before everyone gets all hot & heavy about the above. I am not saying that D2 or below doesn't serve a purpose. in fact, I actually support that these divisions exist, the more people we can encourage to stay within the sport, the better. I also see the enormous benefits of providing a pathway for junior basketballers to stay on with their club and play seniors. What I don't agree with is the amount of financial resources some clubs throw at these programs and the resulting shuffle of players every year simply to buy wins.

SC should continue as is as the premier division under the Big V banner. 2 x imports and player movement to promote the league as the best possible.

D1, maybe limit to 1 x import to promote more local contingent. Can still shuffle players through teams but clubs should be encouraged to utilise 'home grown' (home club) talent.

D2 and below, no imports and adopt the VJBL policy of 2 transfers into a team per season. Really encourage clubs to use their own players. Adds the incentive to get things right from the very bottom of the pyramid in the first place. Once clubs can look after their own from the get go, then we can start talking sheep stations.

Reply #503955 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Crap performance guys, it took 19 days for someone to have a serious crack at delivering the "glorified domestic" line....

Reply #503959 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Who is ABK? Have Mornington signed anybody else except for Tindal?

Reply #503960 | Report this post

nix  
Years ago

WOW! No one gets paid at Keysy?

Whats Santa bringing you this year? Did you like what the easter bunny gave you and did the tooth fairy give you what you wanted for ya teeth?

Reply #503966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Nix" Please elaborate? Who is it you think is being paid at the club.

Reply #503981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABK is Alex Bogart King

Reply #504018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, ABK will leave SEABL for the dizzy heights of BigV D2.... Right..

Reply #504019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coin

Reply #504043 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mornington beat Chelsea in a practice match last night.Going to be a long preseason!!!

Reply #504442 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

Great signs for morno,
For Chelsea I think thats the SOS call

Reply #504448 | Report this post

Big Ticket  
Years ago

telling yo morno looking good!

Reply #504455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were the gulls at full strength? I`d assume that Corey wasn`t playing?

Reply #504457 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Who have Breakers got apart from Tindal?

Reply #504459 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

where do you find who has gone up and who hads gone down for YL Mens Div1 2015?

Reply #504474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a thread on YL that lists all teams and divisions.

Reply #504475 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

I assume the post above refers to YL1M!
If so Keysborough & Coburg have gone up from youth 2.
Western Port are down into Youth 2 & I think, dont quote me though, that Mckinnon are now in VYC

I think thats everything for YL1M but again not 100% certain there

Reply #504476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any practice games results!?

Reply #504498 | Report this post

Phobos 32  
Years ago

If you really gonna measure next year on last nights practise game your clutching at straws.
Gulls no corey or darren plus five others and only ten points in it REALLY.

Reply #504502 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Keilor and Mckinnon up to Sycm
Ballarat and Geelong down to Yl1m
Coburg and Keysy up to Yl1m
Western Port down to Yl2m
Mildura, Maccabi, Warrnambool new in Yl2m

Reply #504504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have recently heard that Keysborough YL Men have lost 90%of their YL team from this past season championbship winning team. How can a club who is in such a tight market and geographical area be affording to lose all these players. Word on the street is that the new coach has some in and cut or rubbed players the wrong way causing all the players to leave. How can a club do this? This will surely have a huge affect with the progression to the senior men's. Just this week a vital part of their plans decided he would quit and play elsewhere. It's plain obvious the management of what was once one of the fastest growing clubs in the state.

Clubs need to understand that if you oust loyal players who have given everything to the club over the years for a bunch of money hungry players who wont be around for more then a season. Ir Miraflores.

What a joke of a club which was making serious strides. Caught behind the 8ball by a mile now.

Reply #504524 | Report this post

Wak doe  
Years ago

Keysborough seem to think they can sign a few cheques and cash em in for a ship

The YL was always gonna be a disaster cos the YL coach from last year was tellin players to go elsewhere instead of playin at the club if he wasn't coachin em

Reply #504721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Div 2 talk in the pre-season. Same clubs making a lot of noise who then persistently fall over when the action starts.

Pakenham, Keysborough, Mornington and Westernport all talk themselves up at this time of the year, but notoriously fall over when the rubber hits the road after the season starts.

I would be looking out for the silent ones. For me Bob Mann and his young group from Oakleigh will be extremely interesting to watch with a season's experience behind them and a proper pre-season going into 2015.

Not much noise comes out of their camp,but you just know they will be competitive so they would be the ones I would worry about.

EMPTY VESSELS........

Reply #504729 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The ones to watch are the ones that fly under the radar.

Reply #504746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much effort and time put into talk about youth league. It`s a development league and not about championships get over it. The sole purpose of youth sides is to make the senior side more competitive.

Reply #504924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Above poster are you trying to say that the Keysborough youth side was a bunch of paid players to win the championship they got?

Clutching at straws their arn`t you?

Reply #504926 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Interesting to see Cameron, Todorov & Kennedy from Nunawading have signed at the Falcons... If Cameron Stays fit he will be pretty tough in the Big V

Reply #505830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wodonga with two imports huh? Well, how about a novel idea... Get a partnership together with the Bandits, stop being all egotastic over ownership, combine your coin and actually put together a decent roster for both the men and women.. Now, there's a bloody good idea! Instead of having a D2 side nobody pays attention to..

It's a town that is smaller than some of the other centers with a SEABL team so why feel the need to dilute the talent even more? Seriously...

Reply #505838 | Report this post

Solid Moves  
Years ago

Interesting to see what Shepparton do. Do they go with two imports or try with the group they had last year. D1 is a fair old step from D2

Reply #505841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Cameron stays Fit"... There's an oxymoron if ever ive heard one.

Reply #505855 | Report this post

Toto  
Years ago

Moron big v men been losin to youth teams LMFAO

Reply #506396 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Jeez TW you are still talking rubbish. As long as I have know Cameron in the SEABL he's never been 100% fit. Why should it be any different for Waverley.

Reply #506397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moron or Morno lol

Reply #506404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who they lose too?

Reply #506431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do they beat Chelsea D1 men and lose to Blackburn Y1M?

Reply #506468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The teams that one the three Youth League divisions for Men this year would all be top three in D2 men. It isn`t a strong comp at all.

Reply #506763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*WON

Reply #506771 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mornington 3-1 in pre season.Have to be one of the longest preseasons in history!!!

Reply #506776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't read too much into preseason at best of times let alone before Xmas!

Reply #506782 | Report this post

swoop  
Years ago

Please Mornington are not going anywhere except the bottom of the ladder.

I heard Chelsea had two senior players and rest young kids.

If you take away anything from that my god your are F%^&.

Reply #506793 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Harry...he was fit back in 2009!

Reply #506798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does everyone think d1 will shape up next year with new teams on board and player movements?

Reply #506799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keilor will only goes as far as Andrew Kaban takes them to be honest.

Casey i think will be one of those teams fighting out fof the final finals spot

Reply #506808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey might be there with their bigs, but their guards are going to have trouble guarding and scoring against the top 6 teams in the league.

Reply #506809 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Who else apart from Kaban have Keilor picked up ??

Blackburn men have been quiet. They had a strong group last year. Any news with them ?

Any developments on the Visa situation with Strong at Casey ??

Reply #506826 | Report this post

G dawg  
Years ago

TBH can't see anyone matching Caseys fire power.

Reply #506830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firepower? Yes the three seabl guys will be tough, but can't play all three on floor at same time. Outside of those three there are going to be some big holes that will cost them. Do they have a guard that can get the ball up the court and defend the other teams top guards? Canovan and the likes will have a field day.

Reply #506833 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are some really good 'teams' in Div 1, it will be a good effort from Casey to be able to match them in only one season together, but if they mesh well they'll certainly be right up there.

Reply #506848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strong and Hobba arn`t bringing the ball up the floor, in order to score they will need someone who can get them the ball. Casey would have better served going for one less big and securing a good PG.

Reply #506850 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

No point having bigs if the pg cant get them the ball....An American PG would be handy.

Reply #506857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutchy back to Geelong from Corio Bay. Just announced

Reply #506859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any imports at D2 level?

Reply #506876 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

DeNeefe and Outhred added to Casey, Orchard out!!!
May as well call this team Cranbourne Rangers with all the ex Dandy players. Apparently the only locals getting a go these days are those "connected"!!!!!!!!!

Reply #506892 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

DeNeefe and Outhred added to Casey, Orchard out!!!
May as well call this team Cranbourne Rangers with all the ex Dandy players. Apparently the only locals getting a go these days are those "connected"!!!!!!!!!

Reply #506893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deneefe gives them a solid guard.
How are other finals teams looking ?

Reply #506894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Orchard go?

Reply #506922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orchard has gone to Southern Peninsula, Smart move.

Reply #506940 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Especially if you've broken team rules

Reply #506979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gelder care to elaborate? If you are going to accuse someone of something you better back it up?

Reply #506983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Corio Bay have any talent left? They will drop down the ladder next season I think.

Reply #506987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood to win it all again, GO HAWKS!

Reply #506988 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

Orchard only has himself to blame

His loss, as if Casey needed him

Reply #506994 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

"As if Casey needed him"

Media report about his signing seemed quite excited about his return.

"Our other returning Cavalier is Matt Orchard. Also being brought through the Cavaliers junior program and successful seasons as a part of our Casey Youth League side in 2010 and 2011. From here, Matt went on to play for the Southwestern Community College of Iowa where he managed 12.2ppg, 4.6apg, 3.2rpg and 2.1spg. In 2015, Matt will return to the club where he rightfully belongs. Jayden and Matt are prime examples of how our junior program is a pathway for success as a Senior Cavalier."

Also referring to him as a returning son.

Either way, he's a good player and a good guy. I'm sure Southern Pen are more than happy to have him.

Reply #507000 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Broke one of the senior program rules, although it was a long bow to draw to say he did. Yes Billy, good player and Luke probably cant believe his luck, or maybe he can.

Reply #507005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and what might that rule be? :)

Reply #507012 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Rule No.1.

Reply #507061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Rule 1 is what?

Reply #507062 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Please Resist Or FacE SubSItutiON AbsoLutely no If'S or Maybe's.

Reply #507071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you going on about?

Reply #507151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PROFESSIONALISM

Reply #507165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Professionalism with some of the characters they have on their squad???

Reply #507169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O say the McDonald's Geelong Supercats Big V men’s team will field one of the most experienced rosters ever seen in the Division 1 competition would be an understatement.

Veteran centre Seb Loader will play game 400 in the opening round of the 2015 season and he will be joined this year by fellow Geelong 300-gamers Paul Hutchison and Keith Harrison.

Hutchison again calls Geelong Arena home after three years with Corio Bay, and Harrison, who will also assume assistant coaching duties, returns for the first time since 2009 following five years back up in the SEABL.

The return of both, along with talented youngster Emerson Varley, will more than cover the loss of feisty playmaker Brett Goodgame.

Coach Graham Byworth will also be hoping for continued improvement and out of tall trio Lindsay Cole, Dion Smith and Ben McCawley.

With Loader nearing 40, McCawley, who was hampered by an ankle issue in 2014, will be expected to share the load at the five spot.

Geelong made a sixth playoff appearance in seven seasons in 2014, but was bundled out in the semi-finals by Southern Peninsula.

"We came within 14 points of a grand final berth last year and we are looking at going at least one step further this year," Byworth said.

“We have high expectations.”

The 2015 Big V season begins on the weekend of March 15-16.

2015 ROSTER

Dane Bow
Lindsay Cole
Simon Evans
Keith Harrison
Paul Hutchison
Michael Lesic
Seb Loader
Benjanim McCawley
Andrew Przybylkiewicz
Ben Scannell
Dion Smith
Emerson Varley
Steven Wiasak
In:

Paul Hutchison (Corio Bay)

Keith Harrison (SEABL)

Emerson Varley (SEABL/Youth League 2013)

Out:

Brett Goodgame (retired)

Reply #507176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Orchard, To put it in plain words, he was cast aside for another player.

Casey trying to get as many dandy players as possible.

Reply #507184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay then.

im with you know, I get the professionalism part now I re read it.

Reply #507190 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Now we are getting somewhere, unless you are very "tight" with those running the association you will be cast aside like a dirty rag.
People who claim to love the club, they need to stand aside from the Rep program (junior and senior) and run the domestic side of things.
Casey will continue to lose local talent(and there is some very talented boys coming through in the next few years and some have already gone) to Dandenong.

Reply #507220 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Gelder, got to agree. Have spoken to a few ex players and coaches (junior and senior) and the same reasons and people keep being mentioned.
A shame really, the club could be something special with it's location and situation. And there are some great young players and good people down there.
I hope they can get their house in order.

Reply #507258 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mornington play Geelong today in the "Xmas Cup" I'm going to the beach!!!

Reply #507266 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If Supercats D1 men stay healthy and stick with their strengths they will be hard to beat next year.

Maybe the Xmas Cup can be played at the beach??

Reply #507274 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mornington will of played there whole season before the real season starts.Have SEABL clubs started training yet???

Reply #507282 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

Billy, massive catchment area, with all the new housing estates going in around a 15km radius it should be strong. i thought with Dawson coming on board that there would be changes. Appears he talks it but doesnt walk it or he is just stringing the ladies along as they appear in awe of him and knows he is on a good wicket so to speak... Now apparently coaching boys U18 1 side. Might have to look at list and see if recognise any names in that team!!!!

Reply #507309 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

I think it needs to be more than that. I'd heard a great number of juniors from most recent season had requested clearances to other clubs, one has to wonder why. They can't just rely on the fact that they'll get plenty of numbers because of where they are. The quantity is going to have to turn into quality soon.

Reply #507349 | Report this post

Gelder  
Years ago

14's and 16's hit hard, i would chase Jay Broadhurst from Dandy to run the Boys Program, yes he is youngish but more able to relate to the youmger boys. Would be hard to prise him out but worth the risk i reckon.

Reply #507485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL season delayed start due to Knox pulling out next year, so most teams will start training full time in New Year I believe.

Reply #507513 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Getting in more help from Dandenong may not be the answer.
Need to find out why all those kids/parents/coaches go and stem the flow of people leaving.

Reply #507519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gelder: Orchard not being at Casey has a big back-story that isn't appropriate for forum based discussion, be careful what you talk about. Wasn't "replaced" as was suggested.

Billy Hoyle: Possibly these people are leaving, but are not required or wanted if they're not interested in representing the best interests of the club. Why would any club want families or players that don't truly love and care for their club.

Reply #509267 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Anon,
My question relates to why there is such a high turnover at a club with seemingly so much upside. Are you saying that its because they were all asked to leave ("not required").
Does this include the juniors that left as well ?

Reply #509287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm simply suggesting, that no club would want players, junior or senior, that truly don't believe in the direction the club is going.
Good luck to them elsewhere, they chose to leave of their own accord.

Seniors haven't had any higher or a turnover than any other club. 17 returning mens players from the Men & Youth.

Just post and worry about player movements, not eventually picking on how clubs are run or their conduct.

Reply #509407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's great spin. Are you a politician?

Reply #509418 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

You're right. They chose to leave. Why ?
Is it because they all didn't believe in the direction the club was going in ?

As I stated above, the club, I believe, should be on the cusp of becoming a real power. That's not 'picking on', its rather complimentary. And I believe they have a great future.
I'd heard though, from a Casey person, that there had been a very large exodus of players, Juniors in particular , and was after some insight as to what it could be.
Fees to high ? Not enough opportunities ? Coaching issues ? Personality clashes ?

Reply #509481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Casey are on the cusp of being a power, why do they not get any of their junior teams into VC?

Reply #510152 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

On the cusp suggests that they are on the path coming a power, but not yet there.
6 court stadium (with plans for expansion I believe ?), huge domestic base, one of the largest growth areas in the state etc, etc.
Pieces are there, just haven't been put together yet.

Reply #510172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those pieces have been there for years and people have been talking about Casey being on the cusp for probably ten years. They and Pakenham have a monopoly on their regions and still don't achieve too much.

Reply #510241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754