Hoopie
Years ago

Biggest draft busts

Question for you NBA fans: who have been the highest-drafted players who turned out to be flops (& why)?

Topic #35962 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

There are no busts, just GM's who rated players wrong. Players who did not live up to their god given gifts, then you have a real discussion.

Reply #503839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Oden* (injuries)

Kwame Brown

Reply #503841 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Darko Milicic

Reply #503842 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Len Bias - If only he stayed away from the Cocaine.
Kid was a freak at College.

Reply #503846 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Darko isn't really a bust. Picked by a team that didn't need him and didn't plan to use him

Reply #503851 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

Adam Morrison and Hasheem Thabeet spring to mind.

Reply #503866 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

andrea bargnani?

Reply #503887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowie, candy man

Reply #503900 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Chris Washburn

Reply #503907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Bowie is a bust, then bogut is too. I don't think either player is a bust. Bowie was a good player when not injured. He just gets a bad rep as Jordan got picked after him.

Reply #503909 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Michael Olowakandi, closely followed by Michael Beasley.

Reply #503926 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

The story with Hasheem Thabeet, is Grizzlies gm chris wallace wanted to choose Steph Curry but late owner Michael Heisley overruled him and selected Thabeet.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Joe Smith, Stromile Swift, Antonio Daniels, Shelden Williams, Darius miles, and Shaun Bradley.

Jay Williams is technically a bust, terrible that a motorbike accident cost him his career. It's hard to judge with him, because he wasn't setting the world alight in his rookie season either.

Reply #503929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mantis is right, it's got to be Chris Washburn by a mile. Younger fans might want to google it and read the story.

Reply #504029 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Washburn

Reply #504063 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

injured players such as oden and bowie are not busts we never got to see how good they were because of injuries. Thabeet and Kwame Brown are clearly busts due to the fact they were given the opportunities but never performed.

Reply #504065 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Maybe Matt, but Oden wasn't setting the house on fire when he was healthy. In fact from memory he was getting out played by backup centre Joel Przybilla, when he was in Portland.

Reply #504066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Oden

Tolololol

Reply #504189 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

andrea bargnani? - I call him a semi-bust. I like Baragani, he has alot of talent, but for some reason he just hasn't been able to put it together.

Another is Emeka Okafor- he's ok but for a 2nd pick in the draft I'm expecting more (yes he did win rookie of the year in 2004). But there hasn't been alot of improvement since then, and he is nothing more then a solid role player.

Reply #504206 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Okafor over 9 seasons has averaged 12 ppg and 10 rpg. How is that a bust? Bogut over 10 seasons is averaging less points, rebounds, blocks in more minutes.

Reply #504207 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Neither is Okafor or Bogut a bust IMO

Reply #504208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RE:Oden
Not many Cs set the world on fire in their first couple seasons, especially when injured for most of them.

Reply #504215 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

King James Okafor averaged those stats for five season- not nine. And some of those teams he racked up stats for in Charlotte were terrible.

But King james, I'm happy agree that he is not a bust- but he hasn't been exceeded expectations either.

Andrew Bogut is not a bust, but I do shake my head still about that awful injury that happened to him in a game against Phoenix in April 2010. He was finding his own and was heading to super-stardom before that injury. He has never been the same since it either.

Reply #504236 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754