Years ago

Round 7 United vs Wildcats

Melbourne up 47-38 at the half

Topic #35964 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Muo has such a beautiful shot.

Would love to see more of him.

Looks like he could be one hell of a player down the track.

Reply #503844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great long distance runner today.

Reply #503845 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wagstaff flopping again. Patton with the most perfect box out technique you'll ever see and its called a foul because Wagstaff (on cue) goes to the deck.

Disgusting really.

Reply #503849 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Melbourne getting outrebounded 40-22?

Melbourne shooting 12-23 from the FT line?

Reply #503850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB has got the feature on NBL.tv that edits out the three Wortho flops from today.

Reply #503852 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm not a Melb supporter, but even if i was I wouldn't deny that Wortho flops.

He has done it for a long time now.

I've just noticed how bad Wagstaff is getting with the flopping and its disgusting.

As I said in the other thread, why do Perth fans get so angry when we call out their players for flopping.

I means it not some subjective opinion...its fact. They flop..i don't believe there is a need to get butthurt about it.

Reply #503854 | Report this post

Sammy  
Years ago

Agreed with flopping in the game. Terrible to watch

Wagstaff did it last week against Childress next to the ring. Thankfully the refs let it go and Childress just made an easy bucket bcoz Wagstaff was laying on the floor boards

Reply #503855 | Report this post

United united  
Years ago

Good too see United get a win over the cheating flopping wildcats. Tell me how they have 5 Americans in their team, Shaun flopped redhage, deandre not ennis Daniels, jeemaine 0/11 beal, muo and Ernest Guam is not part of Oceania Ross.

When is someone's going to stand up against this organisation.

Reply #503856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really happy Perth lost, just really makes me happy. Bunch of jerks making the game look ugly.... so thanks United, especially in front of marvin and the ferals!

Reply #503857 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Well done United united, just shows how some people in this forum have no idea. Muo is not American hes a Sudanese refugee who came out to australia. Not wildcats fault FIBA has Guam in Oceana, and redhage is a naturalised australian.

Give me another reason as to how the wildcats cheat. I think opposition fans should quit their whinging about perth it's so old now and maybe look at your own teams and how they are run.

Reply #503858 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Muo is not American. You forgot U'u.
Not going to win with Beal and Daniels combining for 3-28fg !! With two of those in garbage time.
Breakers would have to be favorites imo.

Reply #503859 | Report this post

United united  
Years ago

So that's 6 Americans then

Reply #503860 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I can't believe Melb have missed some open shots. That can't be right. I hope Boti doesn't go soft on Melb this week for not shooting over 50% from field.
Seriously though Perth are not playing at their best, but still manage to fight their way through it. Sixers will rue that missed chance on Friday.

Reply #503861 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Where do you get 6 Americans from United?

Reply #503862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniels will be cut, take those out of the ordinary 3s he hit against ado, he was shite then too. Wont last, unless the Cats are worried about causing issues with future NBA connections. As is, he won't be making an NBA roster.

Reply #503863 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

United United.

Muo is from Sudan.

Clue : Sudan is not a country in the Americas.

After being told he was not American you still counted him...do you have that extra chromosome?

Reply #503864 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Melbourne had to split this round, just to stay in touch. Daniels will be fine, they need to really change his role in the team tho

Reply #503865 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The only problem with the flop is you won't get the charge call to go your way if you don't fall over. Until the refs stop blowing the whistle and rewarding someone for falling over, nothing will change.
Barlow half put his arm around Redhage. Redhage then grabs and holds Barlows arm and uses his other arm to lock it in, and Barlow gets the holding foul

Reply #503867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was perth Id send Daniels home. The only reason you wouldn't is in case it stops nba connections with the Nbl. Daniels isnt what they need and guys who have been cut by nba teams are available usually now

Reply #503868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Perth do keep him, and he continues to give them nothing. They got lucky with Ennis, this time around its backfiring...

Marcus Camby, with some of the things you have said in previous threads, you have no place to discuss other peoples chromosomes or lack there off. Go back to riding Radford and Clarke's nuts champ!

Reply #503869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right about Daniels, so they won't be sending him home. It may cost them, who knows, but he isn't going anywhere.

Reply #503871 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I never said he lacked a chromosome, I asked if he had an extra one. Try comprehending next time.

Reply #503872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe people are sharing chromosomes around here.

Agree with Keany. Daniels won't develop in to a swingman right now, not when his confidence is down and not when he doesn't have the bulk to absorb the contact. They need to find him wide open looks so he can shoot the jumper over the top of his defender.

Reply #503873 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Daniels is good on the boards he had 12 today maybe they should bring him off the bench again to play that Greg hire role for a couple of games to get his confidence back,or run some play where he's a lot closer to the bucket not 20 feet away, what do I know anyway I'm not the coach of the wildcats haha

Reply #503874 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Agree with Keany - Melbourne really needed that to stay in touch. Would be the least selfish I have seen McRae play however you don't win many games if you get outrebounded 49 - 31.
Perth have zero outside shooting at the moment it was their mistake getting Daniels when they knew he was a 4/3 they need a true swingman instead. They rely on Beal for outside shooting too much at the moment so they should cut Daniels in my opinion but whether they have the guts to do that I question with the potential NBA connections right now. Liked the look of Muo out there and hopefully he gets another gig with another team once Hire is back.

Reply #503875 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Yeah melbourne did get smashed on the boards and they didn't shoot real we'll from the charity stripe but they played Perth like d at times today, the key was shutting down beal he had maybe one open shot for night

Reply #503881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne fan, we can't get to carried away with it when perth play that shit

Reply #503882 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

United united - 36ers won the title in 1986 with 4 USA born players on the team - 2 imports and 2 naturalised. I didn't have a (big) problem with that then and I don;t now. Naturalised players have added a huge amount to the quality and entertainment value of the NBL as players and coaches over the decades. I'm glad they have and I'm fine with Perth managing to keep some of those naturalised players in the league.

The Ross issue is a different kettle of fish, given the intent of the Oceania rule (to develop the quality of Oceania basketball). But, as pointed out in another thread, professional basketball is all about pushing the rules and challenging the referees (and administrators) to make the calls. The basic tenet is that the spirit of the rules is secondary to the letter in professional sport.

Reply #503884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United united, stop whinging about the wildcats and their organisation- they are the ones that are doing it right in this league, and without them I don't think the league would be managing as well as they are now. The Wildcats are by far the benchmark organisation in the league and the rewards they reap are partially because of this. They aren't cheaters, they just know how to bend the rules and I'm sure next year other clubs will look at using the same tactics that the Wildcats do.

Wait until next year when Melbourne sign someone from Oceania, will you be complaining then?

To anon, I wouldn't make it personal by saying you're glad they won "against a bunch of jerks making the game look ugly." The only thing making the game ugly is your face watching it.

Reply #503889 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Has anyone looked at the footwork of Muo? Every time he gets the ball the refs let him travel. Before anything he does.

Reply #503891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Nick Marvin told the refs not to call it?

Reply #503892 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

"I never said he lacked a chromosome, I asked if he had an extra one. Try comprehending next time."

Camby, paying out a poster by implying they are mentally disabled and have down syndrome isn't exactly good form, in fact, I would argue it is pretty poor form and not wanted behaviour on this site. The vast majority of your posts are pretty poor form in general and lack any evidence of basic basketball knowledge. The general quality of the posts on this site would be much higher without the rubbish you generally put forward.

I found this a relatively entertaining game to watch, particularly in the first half. I actually thought the refs did a half decent job in what was a pretty tough game - Perth always put the heat on the officials to make the call with their up and in defence and United were matching that today also. Jordan Mcrae has a pretty awesome offensive game. He is a player who can create a shot to bail out the offense when the shot clock is winding down, a valuable asset when playoffs come around. He is the type of player I would have liked to see at the sixers this season rather than Wilson of whom I have never been a huge fan.

Reply #503893 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

The offensive fouls that were called (against Perth) in Melb never would have been called in Perth.

Reply #503894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blabla and more Bla!

Reply #503895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shutting down Beal was the key for Unigers.

He didn't have a single open shot all game and could not get going.

Reply #503896 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Well done united on a good win.
What I was wondering is why the hell would Gleeson not use Knight down the stretch and stay with Daniels and Beal even though they were having a tough scoring game..
Late in the 4th the lineup should've been Martyn, Muo, Wagstaff, Redhage, Knight..
You gotta go with the guys who are actually scoring when you are 10 down in the 4th quarter..
Take nothing away from United on a great win but we have a muppet coaching us.
Talent hides that

Reply #503898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats would have won if they actually passed it to knight.

Reply #503901 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Muo and defence doesn't equate. Nor does the refereeing not watching him every time he travels before making a move. Fairly basic mistakes. Aylen and the spuds under him MIA.
Where are you Mal?

Reply #503902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams will really hone in on Beal and make the likes of Damo and Daniels beat them from the 3pt line.

The Perth starting 5 doesn't quite have enough shooting threats.

You can almost play a triangle and 2 on Beal each time he touches the ball.

Reply #503905 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Perth will regret getting rid of Muo I reckon. Has played decent so far and can shoot. Damo, U'u, Ross, Hire and Daniels aren't really shooters - Redhage and Wagstaff are far better shooters than all 5 in my opinion.

Reply #503906 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The roller coaster continues...

United continue rollercoaster season, upset Perth

Reply #503908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom line: suck shit, Perth! You lost fair and square and the rest of the league is very happy about it. That's all it comes down to.

When a team gets so much of their success through blatant salary cap cheating, influence on the league board, and biased refereeing, it's really no surprise when there is backlash. Just like with the Eddie Groves Bullets, the Seamus Tigers and the Kings for about the 15 years until they folded. Like all of them karma will catch up to the Wildcats too one day.

Reply #503910 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

'910...

You forgot how the Sixers were fined $125k for 'blatant salary cap cheating' in 1994.

Face....meet egg.

Reply #503912 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Bottom line anonymous we have 6 championships and average 12k to our games,

Bottom line, we've never been caught over salary cap.

A lot of people fail to realise apart from basketball, Wildcats do a lot in the community.

If the rest of the league is happy perth lost one game today, you are very short sighted my friend.

Reply #503917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its funny that people think that Perth fans and players give a shit that they are hated by the rest of the league.

Bottom line: the spot on the ladder where Adelaide finished in 2011 and 2013.

Reply #503920 | Report this post

different anon  
Years ago

Also another bottom line, the position the wildcats have finished for the past 28 seasons :)

Reply #503922 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson is the best coach going around right now.

He played his chargers perfect for a 2nd game of a tough road trip.

FAN u r a flog!!

Reply #503923 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

Good to see that Mrs Gleeson is on the board again!
Could you tell your boy, Mrs Gleeson, that coaching is not about just pulling faces and waving your arms. You are supposed to watch the game, read the game and understand the game. And react to what is happening on the court. Trevor is a nice boy I'm sure, but most of the time he has no idea what is going on. He persisted with Beal, he put Knight on the bench, he had no answers to an average Melbourne team.
Wildcats took 83 shots to Melbourne's 62 and had 49 rebounds to Melbourne's 31. Also Melbourne missed 11 free throws.
Lucky for United they had Trev on their side.

Reply #503924 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, that dark horse has gallopped into contention and all of a sudden there is life in the NBL finals series to come, cheers to that...

Reply #503928 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Muo will be a good pickup for one of the new franchises. Shame Brisbane has the jump on the other possible contenders,

Reply #503932 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Wild cats fans - All about the money which has brought success.

Any club could have succeeded and have the same record with the same government and millionaire backing they have had.

Just stop responding to the Cats fans as they will never get it and when they feel the need to post on other clubs Facebook sites, just press the hide button or invade their site !!!!

Reply #503943 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Annon - disagree with that. Not all about money propping up the Wildcats, that record of 28 finals appearances in a row is incredible. That speaks to great organisation at every level, putting and keeping good teams together with good chemistry over decades.

But that incredible record does have a huge asterix against it:- Perth did benefit from the period where there were 8 teams in the finals in an 11 team competition. Between 2003 and 2006 Perth came 7th three times with a losing overall record - their 'finals' record is saved by the ridiculousness of the finals system at the time.

Reply #503948 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

It hasn't been talked about at all, but Perth's offence has changed a lot since Lisch left. They were the epitome of 'team basketball', but the ball stops way too much these days. There are flashes of it here and there, but nothing like 2011/12

Reply #503973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

peterward: "Wildcats took 83 shots to Melbourne's 62 and had 49 rebounds to Melbourne's 31. Also Melbourne missed 11 free throws.
Lucky for United they had Trev on their side."

Not necessarily saying Gleeson's a great coach but does the above statement really prove he's a bad coach? Some might argue the coach deserves some credit for Perth out-rebounding Melbourne by so much. Some might also argue that Gleeson doesn't deserve all the blame for players missing shots.

Indeed Melbourne conceding 22 offensive rebounds (17 more than Melbourne) and 21 more field goal attempts could very well be a good basis to criticize Melbourne's coaching.

If you're going to criticize Gleeson you could at least point to examples that support your criticisms.

Reply #503997 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wonders,

I am not so sure their offence was as good during Lischs' era as you think.

They were just a better defensive team.

That team still had some ugly offensive games, but it was their defence (Rob Beveridge take the floor) that won them a lot of games.

Reply #504000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the ball did move a bit more under Bevo but when it ends up in the hands of Tovey, Robbins and Drew Williamson, its probably better not to pass it!

Reply #504002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth currently have the leagues best defense.

Reply #504003 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

shot Melbourne :)

Reply #504011 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Perth may currently have the best defensive record, but Melbourne blasted holes right through it on the weekend, at times scoring with ridiculous ease.

Reply #504012 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

interesting game to watch - top team , perth don't lose all that much and adelaide below the standard of these two

Reply #504021 | Report this post

Kaiju  
Years ago

Its great to see Wildcats fans not blaming the referee for the loss, but purely beaten by better team, as most other fans from other clubs do when the wildcats win. As a Melbourne guy, I can see why their club is healthy and thriving....

Reply #504061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swap Daniels for Childress and Perth would be unbeatable

Reply #504062 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Teams will really hone in on Beal and make the likes of Damo and Daniels beat them from the 3pt line."

In 2010 and 2014 Martin shot around 50% from three in the regular season and it's no coincidence Perth finished top and won the title both those years.

Reply #504073 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Watch the Adelaide game again and clear your heads. Watch the calls from the refs and who is shooting it up for Perth. Adelaide almost where they need to be. Don't be so ignorant. Watch all the games across the league and you will learn, not just your own teams or the score board.

Reply #504103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Paul no coincidence. Perth need either damo or Daniels to start hitting 3's

Reply #504105 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

mostly i watch my team, but i know my song well before i start singing.

Reply #504214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754