nhJan
Years ago

love or hate them, we need the UMPIRE

Top level of district junior basketball, we train twice per week, in order to be our best plus some train for state also.

On game day, we arrive to find out that our game will only have one umpire.

This would be understandable if it happened occasionally, however it seems to be regular in SA

Even worse, is that the one umpire is not fit enough to keep up normally

Why is it so hard to get two umpires?
Who is responsible, the umpire in charge?
It seems to be getting more & more social with the attitude of officials, even though BASA employ full time staff

What can be done to avoid this?

Topic #35973 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Including match payments and staff. BSA spent $750k on referees last financialyear. And the standard and numbers of referees seem to be going backwards.

Reply #504026 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

The position is called a referee as mentioned above. Little cred anywhere if you call then an umpire.

Reply #504033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might need to check the BSA report that says umpire and referee payment.

Reply #504035 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

time of the year

Reply #504036 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

BSA pays nothing.... and it's not easy work.

Reply #504068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA spent $750K but does no education

Reply #504074 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have a lot of empathy for basketball referees. They make mistakes on court just like players and coaches do, yet when they do they cop a little more criticism.

They often pay their own way to games where they get paid only enough to cover fuel costs and a sandwich, yet they are expected to hold up their end of all our requirements and expectations of them.

They sacrifice as much as anyone who plays or coaches and what development do they get offered in return?

I am not saying they don't get any, I am saying what they recieve in assistance, support, personal development and the necessary training to cope with their position is inadequate and they are treated poorly compared to how they should be (IMHO).

I don't love them, nor do I hate them (often), but I do very much appreciate them and feel for them...

Reply #504075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't blame the refs, the fish rots from the head down.

Reply #504082 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

How much would an NBL calibre ref be on?
There should be some clear paths, education, development and promotion to this level which would make it a more attractive proposition.

To most it is probably a dead end job but knowing there is pathways to progress to the top national league and from there World Champs and Olympics would make it a little more attractive to some.

Reply #504084 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

BSA refs do get paid. Facts please

Reply #504089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one said they don't. But its minimal and less than other states.

Reply #504093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

District junior referees have not had a pay rise since 2007 would you stay in your job if that happened to you?

Reply #504100 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

of course not...

but it's a free world

vote with your feet or stay and suck it up

Reply #504119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they have. Which is why we have solos.

But as a basketball community we need to solve the issues and encourage more basketball people to take up refereeing and find ways to retain the few that are left.

Reply #504125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

duh.. otherwise it's called streetball

Reply #504131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, I will break it down for the OP and some of you other simpletons posting stupid posts on here.

Players play for fun.
Coaches coach for their kids and clubs, for fun.
Referees ref games for money, not for fun.

If a player or coah is sick they play one short, get a fill in or someone steps up and coaches, or the team do it themselves.

In the work place if you are called in for a sick person you could get overtime or penalty rates, otherwise you wouldn't come in to cover.

Unless there is a referee qualified supervisor or someone else present at the stadium you won't get a referee at home dropping tools to come in for $7.00 to cover an official who has gone sick.

Not for one game, they do 4-5 games a night just to make a buck, remember it is not for fun to them.

So, OP there you have it, the reason you only have one official is they don't grow in trees and if one goes sick they often just can't cover it!

Reply #504134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fish does rot from the head down.. Sadly BSA are sitting on a Million Dollars and yes Umpires and Refs don't get paid much watch them at the end of the night collect $30-40 Dollars for 4-5 hrs work?

They get paid more to ref social than district so there's one reason some better refs are running social not district.

They have no support but for themselves They appear to have no real leadership only those who want only to sit back and enjoy people floundering and often sets referees/umpires up for failure. The smart people figure it out and leave the others stay and nothing changes.

They cop more abuse than they deserve sure they get paid but your get what you pay for. I feel sorry for the peanuts.

Reply #504138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in basketball we call them referees not umpires

Reply #504157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree the referee is the one in charge of the game, the other ref is an umpire.
ergo on three man the crew chief is the referee, then you have umpire 1, umpire 2.

Reply #504160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much do NBL refs get paid per game?

Reply #504177 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Let's get some facts here. Proper facts.

Pay rate for Panel Referee:

Social $14 per 45 minute time slot
Div 2 Seniors and Lower $17 per 80 minute time slot
Yl 1@2 $20 per 80 minute time slot

So for a referee doing D2 seniors which is the hardest competition outside of SBL equates to $12.75 per hour and $18.66 per hour for social ball.

The fact is referees are significantly underpaid to the point of ridiculous. It is not uncommon for a referee on a Monday night to do 1 game at 7pm, break at 8.20pm and 1 game at 9.40pm finishing at 11. When we add half hour travel each way that makes 6.30pm to 11.30pm, 5 hours for $34. A total of $6.80 per hour.

The comment of referees do it for money not fun is ignorant. Perhaps at social level, yes some do it for spare change, but at a district level it is about enjoyment and challenging themselves.

The issues now lie with the gaps that are being left open are being filled by referees well out of their depth, being pushed into games and given accreditations without warrant. Referees given their level 2 and 3 certificates that would barely pass old level 1 and 2 courses. This is done so gibbo can tick hubbards boxes of development, and when they submit their reports it all looks rosey and positive, when standards are getting worse, more experienced referees are leaving, politics getting out of control, and problems continuing to compound.

Reply #504191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry Hackrein, how many times are you going to post incorrect information on Hoops before you get the idea? Very quick to correct others quite a few times now but turns out it's your mistake every time!

At least you're giving the rest of us a good laugh I suppose.

Reply #504192 | Report this post

BSA needs a Broom  
Years ago

Thanks for quoting the figures

Reality is unless you take to BSA with a broom you will get the same rubbish - change nothing nothing changes

Reply #504194 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Last time I went to a basketball game it was under the control of a referee. Not sure what game you were at. Maybe you were playing spank the umpire?
You are so funny along with all your many anonymous posts.

Reply #504202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr Harry Hackerein, refer to the FIBA Rule book on page 52 it refers to the referee and umpire 1 and umpire 2.

so basketball has umpires, there should always be on court a referee, and an umpire. maybe posting as anon but a least I have some facts to back up my claim.

Reply #504232 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

So the OP is complaining about the one Umpire. Sorry. Clearly wrong. My error.

Reply #504237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many referees would do what they do for free?

I don't know any!

Reply #504238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it that coaches are willing to coach for free though???

Reply #504239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Coaching is fun.
2. Club based activity, to help club development.
3. To gain experience for higher level coaching.
4. To help your kid's team out.
5. Ego.
6. Because you have been asked to.
7. To teach kids how to play.
8. To watch kids improve.
9. To coach a winning team.
10. Take a team to a tournament.
11. Did I say for fun?

Do you want me to go on?

Reply #504244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main reason referees do what they do is for money!
Some may also enjoy the social side of it or in fact want to do it for some exercise etc...

But the overwhelming reason is for the cash, this is not being ignorant of other reasons why they want to officiate, it is simply stating facts.

Reply #504245 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

you guys are wrong about the fish too.

Reply #504252 | Report this post

Why Is It So?  
Years ago

^ Do tell HO

Why is the head not responsible for the flailing tail that we see on a Thursday night - Div 1&2 get looked after most levels below are often Refereed by two umpires and one is often green shirt. There's often solo's and well you're telling me that the changes BSA made to court supervisors is an improvement? No umpiring knowledge required?

Reply #504258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Saturday morning where 2 out of 3 games have double green shirts.

Reply #504259 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

BSA has never spent money on improvement of junior referees,in last 5 years decline number of District referees nowadays because pay they get is ridiculus,its pocket money for them.Social pays more than Juniors and no pay rise for 7 years,while admission has gone up too.

Very sad case in a few years time ,district,clubs will be forced to supply referees(bsa rumour for next year).Lot of green shirters will be onboard,unlike the day where there was many good experienced referees have all gone.

Reply #504263 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

why is it so....

http://www.brainstormwarning.org/2008/10/30/the-fish-rots-from-the-head

Reply #504271 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

What's green shirter?

Reply #504275 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Green shirts are begginer referees mate.

Ah, yes the old theory that corruption begins at the top, sliced open by that article HO, well partially at least. A quote from it:

'Many elections invite voters to decide between two individuals, neither of whom possess the character or experience demanded to effectively lead a state or nation. Would you rather vote for the unqualified candidate wearing an elephant on his lapel pin or the unqualified candidate wearing a donkey on his lapel pin?'

I actually subscribe to this theory^, have never voted and probably never will, as I just can't decide between a flying elephant or a floating donkey!

Of course all officials can decide together that they are not willing to put up with such treatment can't they...

Form a union, start a strike and join the revolution, it has been done before in the history of the world, to varying effects of course!

Reply #504304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Officials walk away from the game.

Its the paying customer which is suffering the most from the issues in refereeing.

Reply #504309 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Refs that are younger than the players on the court is an issue,

Even more of an issue is that some have only played a year of basketball before reffing ???

Most importantly - Where are all the adult refs..... the real reason we have kids reffing is adults no longer wish to gig cup their time.

Volunteering is dying !

Reply #504336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754