Harry Hackrein
Years ago

FIBA clears Boomers of tanking charge

Yes it is true.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/boomers-cleared-of-tanking-by-fiba-20141126-11uu90.html

Not sure what game they "broke down footage of the September 6 match as well as reports by the supervising commissioner and experts, along with a letter from BA's Chair Scott Derwin"

Topic #35985 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Never "officially" tanked.

Anyone who watched the game saw them tank.

Reply #504310 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why would FIBA launch this investigation in the first place?

I hated when the Boomers took a dive in that game, but Euro teams do it all the time with no investigation, so why does FIBA all of a sudden launch one into Australia, and then clear them when they obviously threw the game?

Really weird transpiration of events.

Reply #504311 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Maybe it was just a slap on the wrist to show Australia that you can't throw a game that blatantly and to do a better job of concealing intentions next time?

They've changed the format for the next cup so this won't happen again, I guess...

Reply #504312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they tanked, but it was a strategic move based on the structure of the tournament. Nothing to see here.

Reply #504316 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

please make your tanking at least remotely plausable

Reply #504317 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Never liked the way we played out that game in the first instance. It was un-Aussie like!

I have the utmost respect for all of our national and international coaches, I appreciate the work they put in, the effort and direction they want basketball to go in this country.

Our green and gold pathways are filled with an ethos of hard work, fitness, defensive accountability, team work, superior effort and desire to the point of an expectation second to none in the world of hoops.

So, let us never see this type of manipulation (sorry, attempt at manipulating) a tournament result again!

Let us never again fear any opponent on the court and take it on the chin, win or lose, knowing at least we have given it our very best shot and left it all on the court.

Just like it is expected of all our juniors coming through the green and gold pathway...

Time to lead by example and never allow the Boomers to think they are not good enough, against anyone!

Reply #504333 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

It was definitely a tank. I just think FIBA can't prove it, and don't overly want to. Which is good for me; I laughed so hard when I saw the tanking and knew just why. I cheered! Yes Aussies! You have matured to European level of tournament play! I even count it as the single best piece of coaching Lemanis gave the team. But having said that, the question I ask, is now that we are back on the subject, is Lemanis really the man for the Boomers job?

We did have some pretty poor performances in the lead up and during the cup. We shouldn't have lost to Turkey like that.

Reply #504340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA: Did you lose the game against Angola deliberately ?

Basketball Australia : No

FIBA : Really

Basketball Australia : Yep

Investigation Over.

Reply #504341 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@GWB: No Lemanis is not the man for the job. He cannot prepare for that level of opposition talent and coaching. But that's a whole 'nother thread...

Reply #504343 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

An embarrassment of a result for an embarrassment of an investigation.

Of course the Boomers tanked that game. It was blissfully easy for them to cruise away to successive 10 point leads, and painfully (comically) difficult to watch them try at times in vain to give the lead back to Angola.

That is not the point. The question for FIBA is whether the useless tournament structure encouraged or necessitated this sort of behaviour, which it did.

Disappointed with Boti on this one, usually a bit of a sharp shooter and not prepared to tow the line. But the Aussies clearly and deliberately 'threw' the game. It was to their massive benefit to do so. It didn't guarantee them avoiding 3rd and a cross over with the US, but it did greatly improve their prospects of doing so.

It was all a waste of time though when you stuff up by losing to Turkey.

Reply #504451 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I wonder if they're going to pull an AFL on us and fine us a half-mil for not-tanking?

Reply #504463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are referring to Melb FC tanking in the AFL it is widely accepted that they did so.

Reply #504486 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think Nathan is referring to the fact that the Demons were cleared of the tanking charge but still got fined under the farcical guise of "bringing the game into disrepute"

Reply #504501 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Thank you, Mick, exactly what I was referring to.

Reply #504503 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It should probably be widely accepted that Australia tanked

Euro teams do it all the time, the end result was expected, FIBA says "did you tank?" BA says "no" FIBA says "ok"

Reply #504511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754