Isaac
Years ago

SEABL joins BA

In an historic vote, Clubs of the South East Australian Basketball League (SEABL) have overwhelmingly accepted the recommendation of the SEABL Board to proceed integration of the League with Basketball Australia.

The formal resolution was passed on Saturday 13th December, when representatives of each Club met in Melbourne to consider the proposal to transfer the business and operations of the SEABL to Basketball Australia.

Simon Brookhouse, SEABL President, expressed his delight with the outcome.

"We have been contemplating the future of the SEABL organisation for some time now and, as a Board, we were convinced that Basketball Australia offered to our Clubs the best opportunity to manage the League and to promote it to a larger fan base," Brookhouse explained.
Basketball Australia will take on the basketball operations, marketing and communications of the League. Anthony Moore, Chief Executive Officer, said “The SEABL provides a tremendous opportunity for Basketball Australia to work more closely with the SEABL Clubs, many of which have significant numbers of domestic basketballers playing on their home courts each week.

“The SEABL provides a wonderful pathway for our young players to aspire to as well as our coaches and referees to work their way through the system to participate in this great League.”
Full announcement

What's this realistically likely to mean for the SEABL? Might BA harbour aspirations of building it out to what they hoped to have or achieve with the NBL, sans pesky owners?

Topic #36097 | Report this topic

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

They've certainly done a great job so far... not!

Reply #506866 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"The SEABL provides a tremendous opportunity for Basketball Australia to work more closely with the SEABL Clubs, many of which have significant numbers of domestic basketballers playing on their home courts each week.

What does this quote actually mean - just seems like fluff.

BA could have worked more closely with those clubs anyway - they are in most cases affiliates of their state bodies.

Reply #506867 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Why??

Reply #506868 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, do you think it means a chance to work directly with them, not going through the state bodies which in some cases are acting as roadblocks?

Reply #506869 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

AFAIK Paul they can (and do) do that already - through things like Associations hosting international games, hosting Australian Championships etc.

I just think they really had nothing else to say - I cannot see any benefits for BA in running another league like this.

Reply #506870 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Were there benefits for BA in running the NBL? (Serious question.)

Reply #506871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart move by BA. This creates an alternative pathway in the unlikely event the NBL falls over.

Reply #506872 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

SEABL have been doing a lot of BA work now for some time. WNBL and player clearances. Not sure if anything else.

Reply #506873 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Whoooo
I thought Basketball Adelaide was taking over!

Reply #506875 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, I was thinking in terms of databases etc.

Reply #506879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the costs and benefits for the SEABL clubs compared to the way the league was ran last year?

Reply #506880 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I am not sure Isaac that there were benefits in running the league, as opposed to benefits in the sport being "together".

I don't think BA ever said "we are better off running the league than you".

I think BA said "the sport is stronger if everyone is in the same tent".

Reply #506881 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Very surprised by the decision.You would have to think there must of been significant cost benefits for the clubs to vote in favour.BA don't have a very good track record running leagues.

Reply #506885 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Has anyone in Australia got a better track record of running leagues than BA?

Reply #506886 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So does this mean we could get a second division for the NBL?

Reply #506887 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm from Perth, and I have never really understood the purpose of the SEABL. I get that its nice to have teams from different states (and in area it potentially covers less our SBL) but to me it seems to operate in competition with the state leagues.
(I don't really know, just saying what it looks like viewed from afar...)
Personally I would prefer to see BA working closely with the NBL AND State leagues.

The biggest problem I see with the SEABL trying to be a "2nd tier" competition, is that it looks like history repeating AGAIN. A Victorian dominated league trying to go "national."

Reply #506889 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Be interesting to know from a club perspective what BA offered them to transfer across.

Reply #506891 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good question Paul, now tell us what you mean by it.

Reply #506895 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I'm with you HO, Paul please elaborate on your statement?

Reply #506896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the kicker for BA is the fact they now have extra office staff to help them run the WNBL - the staff will slowly get swallowed up into the day to day running of BA

Reply #506898 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Happy Days, you make an interesting point earlier.

What is the criteria that determines you are doing a "good job" of running a league like SEABL?

Reply #506901 | Report this post

Brock  
Years ago

Good get for SEABL. Not so sure about BA. If you believe the stories that they're already stretched, I wonder why they would want to deal with this as well?

Anyone with any Club intel here?

Reply #506902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some club intel would be good.

It would be quite funny if the SEABL managed to pull some sort of TV deal to play mid week games....

Reply #506907 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Feel free to get WA in Dazz. SA were in it some years ago and withdrew because of costs. Team costs would go through the roof if WA were in it mate.
Sure its a vic dominated comp but it covers lots of regional Vic, Tassie, SA, Canb and Brissie. Great regional coverage IMO. NSW (4) sides withdrew sometime ago as well.

Reply #506912 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

SEABL have always run a good comp over many years.Where they have lacked is in developing long term corporate partnerships generating additional revenue streams as they have nobody that looks after that aspect of the business.Staff tend to keep a low profile and its pretty much BAU.Theres got to be some cost efficiencies or a kicker to get clubs over the line.What that is not sure...

Reply #506913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry you should look up Mount Gambier on a map of Australia.

Reply #506918 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Harry,

The SEABL championship trophy currently resides in SA!

Reply #506926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each NBL team became $200,000 better off per annum by leaving BA
BA kept all the income the NBL generated from iiNet and other sponsors
The NBL went from bad money to a profitable league in 12 months and that is withiout sponsorship or a major TV deal

BA used NBL resources to prop up other parts of it's business.

This was of course under different stewardship of BA so hopefully SEABL did their homework before agreeing. Seeing how the WNBL is run versus say netball suggests they haven't.

Reply #506931 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm not b____ing because WA doesn't have a team in the SEABL. If anything, exactly the opposite.
WA somehow manages to support a pretty good SBL, with regional teams that are a real bonus for those cities' fans.
I've just never understood the need for another league to sit between the State Leagues and the NBL.

Nor does it bother me that its dominated by Victorian teams.
My point is simply that any attempt to further expand the SEABL will create a massive s___fight with the state leagues. Furthermore, that successful expansion accompanied by greater revenue and costs will doom many of the Victorian teams.

More than anything, as I said looking on from afar, I just find the whole thing quite puzzling.

Reply #506933 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Zodiac and cluelss anonymous I said "Sure its a vic dominated comp but it covers lots of regional Vic, Tassie, SA, Canb and Brissie. Great regional coverage IMO."
See the SA bit?

Reply #506938 | Report this post

jeff  
Years ago

Daz maybe take a moment to consider the quality of the SEABL competition versus other state run competitions. Clubs choose to participate in the SEABL because it provides a higher level of competition than the state completion can provide those athletes. In most cases these club have a development team or a youth team playing in a tiered competition run by the state association (e.g. Big V Youth League - the old SEABL D League).

Reply #506939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BIG V Youth League isn`t the old SEABL D League, The youth League was there first, D League operated for a few years then came back to the BIG V.

Reply #506941 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Harry, think you confused them because the first time you mentioned SA you probably meant Adelaide.

Reply #506945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, you are from Perth, let's just leave it there shall we?!!

Reply #506953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL exists because it is a higher standard then any state league competition but not of NBL standard. It is a good league for players wanting to make it professionally to play and get seen. The competition creates more exposure for players and is a great feeder league for the NBL.

Reply #506955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha.....ohhh Boti, your SEABL lovechild has joined the darkside. How are you going to explain this??

Reply #506960 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I would argue that if it did not exist, Victoria would have a state league better than the SEABL.

Its a solid feeder for the NBL, but overrated in this regard, mainly because in the past the AIS was such a significant part of it.

Reply #507003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I thought the same. Eliminate SEABL and wouldn't Big V and Waratah (or whatever the NSW league is) be stronger?

'960, Boti had a brief bit on his site about it. Mostly put Anthony Moore up as the reason for SEABL's faith in BA.

Reply #507007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waratah wouldn't be any stronger. It would gain Canberra and Albury, that's it.

Reply #507013 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Big V is poor, Waratah generally is poorer sorry to say.
No Seabl means no MtGambier, Canberra and Tassie and Spartans and the list goes on. Did I mention Mt Gambier?
Why would Albury want to play Canberra FFS?

Reply #507014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QABL is the best state league - that's widely recognised, yeh?

Reply #507016 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I specifically said Victoria. The others would not improve much, because they would only gain one or teams.

Harry - you some weird stuff that others hack you for unnecessarily but you deserve to be hacked for that one.

No SEABL means Mt Gambier plays CABL, Spartans play QBL, Albury play either Vic or Waratah... it doesn't mean they disappear.

Anthony Moore is now a Boti cult figure Isaac?

Reply #507019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason BigV would improve is because you'd add an entire new division above State Champ.

The entire State Champ would become Div 1, Div become Div 2 etc.

Reply #507020 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Maybe, or the Victorian SEABL sides form a new competition. Which btw, would cost much less to participate in and be more relevant.

If the NBL leaving BA was about money (what they were contributing to BA) wouldn't it be smart for the Vic SEABL sides to do the same thing. I am guessing it would save them tens of thousands (men and women).

Reply #507021 | Report this post

GM1  
Years ago

You are all ignoring the fact that SEABL is an interstate competition, with a view to be truly National.

I don't disagree that the non existence of SEABL would mean stronger State Leagues, however the big plus so SEABL is lost.

Reply #507022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you looked at how the BigV is structured? The top div, Champ, is essentially the similar standard to SEABL. Yes only the top 4 teams will feature with the top SEABL teams. The bottom SEABL teams would end up at the bottom teams. And this is the same for the other State based comps. There is a lot of unwarranted one-upmanship between the supporters of SEABl and the other leagues. Remember, the players migrate between the leagues quite happily. Also note that they different leagues have different objectives. SEABL is there to only provide a single elite level comp. The state leagues provide a stratified competition.

Making a generalized statement that one is better than the other completley misses the point.

Reply #507023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big v is no way near the same level as seabl. Seabl is far more elite and structured compared to big v. No1 in the seabl vice teams will happily step down to big v. The only reason they do is because they don't get enough court time in seabll and want more time in a lower league or they want more money.

Bench players in seabl sides can be the best players in a big v side. Whoever said the two leagues are similar must be smoking crack because you are tripping!

Reply #507024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spartans left qbl. Going back to the waratah and cba is unlikely. The reason they exist is because of finances. To go back to a mickey mouse league means those that are semi professional won't hang about. No money. It's not as simple as saying they will go back to a lesser inferior competition. Albury in the waratah! You are on cracking.

Reply #507027 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

There were reports in late 2011 that Albury had approached BNSW about playing in Waratah in 2012 but they stuck with SEABL & went on to win the title that year. The other half of the Bandits, Wodonga, already has a team in BigV Div2.

Reply #507028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anthony Moore is now a Boti cult figure Isaac?
No idea. He just quoted a SEABL source as being impressed by Moore and implied that was potentially a contributing factor.

Reply #507030 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

GM1,

Who ignored the fact that the SEABL is a state league?

Reply #507031 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Can i be clear again for everyone?

I didn't content that all the state leagues get stronger if the SEABL disappears.

I am only suggesting that if the SEABL didn't exist, the Vics could rapidly create a competition that is better than the SEABL.

- Smaller competition
- less dilution of talent
- spend less on unnecessary travel (it is a large part of the SEABL cost structure)
- invest that regained revenue into coaching, conditioning, players or promotion
- more meaningful consistent rivalries

AND I said NOTHING, not one thing, about the league that already exists in Victoria.

Reply #507033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #507023 Sorry but that is a silly statement. The Bottom SEABL teams would win BigV Champ. But this is old ground.

Reply #507047 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I just hope that what isn't broken doesn't get fixed to a point where they do break it!

Reply #507049 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Just like I said above Bear about what makes a good league, perhaps someone should do a criteria for what being broken means.

In terms of being an NBL feeder, I think SEABL is broken, if not largely irrelevant. If it does not effectively act as the predominant NBL feeder, then there is not much point spending as much money as everyone does on it.

Reply #507056 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Just noticed your post, and realise it is meant to be funny.

If Waratah did gain Albury and Canberra, and drop its two bottom sides, it would be better, and probably by a margin.

Reply #507057 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

How about we stop bagging an opportunity for people to play the sport they love..who cares about it being a feeder league or better or worse. It provides an opportunity. Something our government cant seem to do for students. I love the league and so do the players in it so that's all that truly matters. if you want the sport to grow and thrive, support it at all levels and stop complaining. Put some of this time and energy you got to troll and head a committee or open your own cub or start your own league and be the commissioner. the more leagues the more opportunities. At the end of the day its a kids game people not government nor a fortune 500 company.. keep it in perspective

Reply #507058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said michael

Reply #507060 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"You are all ignoring the fact that SEABL is an interstate competition, with a view to be truly National."
It's dominated by Victorian teams, with token interstate representation. Any attempt to become "truly national" is doomed to failure and would lead to the demise of many of those Victorian teams.

Reply #507063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't just about the men either. There's a women's league as well!! Whichever way you try to slice it, the Big V can't hold a candle to the SEABL and the level of talent they have.

Reply #507064 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

AFAIK the SEABL competition has never aspired to be a National competition.
That's why it's still call SEABL. It was called the CBA at one stage unfortunately.

Dazz you obviously don't understand the culture of Victorian basketball living in WA.
Knox has 10 basketball courts? Dandenong 12? Kilsyth 10 courts including Lilydale.
Nunawading cant remember all in the s/e of Melbourne. Let alone all the other stadiums across the rest of Melb.
10,000's of kids and all with seabl programs. Absolutely no reason why the Melb clubs would disappear. Melbourne is Australia's heart of basketball and always will be.
Don't forget all the great strong regional vic clubs as well.

Reply #507069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Dazz, I don't think anyone who knows basketball in this country is worried about the demise of the big Victorian clubs mate, you need to read what you post before hitting the submit button!

Reply #507070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's dominated by Victorian teams, with token interstate representation. Any attempt to become "truly national" is doomed to failure and would lead to the demise of many of those Victorian teams."

iI wish someone had said this to the VFL/AFL all those years ago.

Reply #507132 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Good thoughts Michael. Can i just clarify a couple of things with you?

Is every competition and league serving the sports best purpose because it provides somewhere to play?

Are any of us allowed to even think about the structure of leagues in this sport, or is that now outlawed on the basis that the said league allows people to play somewhere?

Can we keep thinking as long as we stop writing?

If we all join a board or committee are we then allowed to think about writing something?

When did the semi-professional, interstate SEABL become a kids league? Is that new in 2015?

Do you love your partner like you love your league?

Did you and #507060 attend the same University?

Clear it up for me will you?

Reply #507148 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Good thoughts Michael. Can i just clarify a couple of things with you?

Is every competition and league serving the sports best purpose because it provides somewhere to play?

Answer: yes because the more people that play the more likely it will find its way to every living room and family. Last time I checked politicians have kids and if their kid loves the sport they are more likely to support it at the government level.

Are any of us allowed to even think about the structure of leagues in this sport, or is that now outlawed on the basis that the said league allows people to play somewhere?

Answer: Sure you can, My issue is the negativity. Come with ideas and solutions not just complaints.

Can we keep thinking as long as we stop writing?

Answer: I would just be happy if some of these trolls would think before they start writing

If we all join a board or committee are we then allowed to think about writing something?

Answer: If you all join you can make positive change and write up a great structural plan that will benefit every level of player not just the elite.

When did the semi-professional, interstate SEABL become a kids league? Is that new in 2015?

Answer: It's always been a kids league. Kids have been coming to SEABL games for awhile and have been inspired by it. Regardless of the structure of the league it gives kids a chance to dream about playing at a high level throughout their lives.

Do you love your partner like you love your league?

Answer: I love my Partner more but only slightly. I love the league like you obviously love sarcasm it brings me a bit of Joy.

Did you and #507060 attend the same University?

Answer: I went to Arizona State I'm not sure about him/her. Which qualifies me in a sense that I know that there is nothing like the structure for basketball you have here in the states. You can play until your 80 here and at a good level. It's very special and for someone who lives to play and does love the game of basketball as much as his partner its almost heaven.

Clear it up for me will you

Question: Is that clear enough?

Reply #507171 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

That's a good response. Idealistic rubbish, and incredibly naive, but a good response. Enjoyed it.

Reply #507201 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"iI wish someone had said this to the VFL/AFL all those years ago."

OR maybe they should have mentioned it to the NBL before all those Victorian teams collapsed!
But hey, why bother comparing Basketball with, um, Basketball, when we could look instead at something completely irrelevant.

Have you actually LOOKED at the AFL?
There is a core of perennially rubbish Melbourne teams who survive only because of massive AFL handouts and revenue equalisation.
Most importantly they have a multi-billion dollar TV deal that actually makes it profitable to have unviable clubs.

Reply #507205 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Well HO I guess I'm in good company because they said the same thing to Christopher Columbus.. turns out he was right. And yes I also believe a basketball is round..lol

Reply #507217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez Ho. Keep burying yourself.

Reply #507231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO HO HO Merry Xmas, and a confrontational New Year!

Reply #507275 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@HO, watching and enjoying SEABL for the pure entertainment it brings begs the question, does it need to be an NBL feeder?

Can SEABL not stay as the dominant winter basketball competition? It is good enough for some NBL players to stay here and keep their skills up..

I actually think it could foster some very good juniors, but lets face it the best juniors we have will go overseas in some capacity before they come back here.

To break SEABL would be a huge shame but to enhance it would require careful consideration on BA's behalf, something proven difficult in the past and something I hope can be improved on for the future!

The cost of SEABL now is an interesting point you make, is it over the top and do they throw too many $$$ at it, I don't know as I don't know how much it costs to run a SEABL program, I just know how much I enjoy it mate.

Reply #507277 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, I also agree that if SEABL disintegrated the Vic clubs would be just fine on their own, they would go on to create a competition the envy of other states...

Reply #507279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regarding comment from Bear.

I actually think it could foster some very good juniors, but lets face it the best juniors we have will go overseas in some capacity before they come back here.

Always an interesting conversation point.... Not all of the best juniors head OS. I strongly believe we have great talent locally, peaking in their early 20's that never entertained USA college route.

Reply #507287 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^, I won't disagree with that...

Reply #507315 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Well HO I guess I'm in good company because they said the same thing to Christopher Columbus.. turns out he was right"

Actually, Columbus was wrong.
Columbus and his backers believed that the world was limited to what had been discovered, and that therefore India must lie to the West of Europe.

I'm not questioning the grassroots support for Basketball in Victoria.

Reply #507322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Big V and the VJBL are already envied by every other state in Australia!

Reply #507333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is the going rate BA will extract from each SEABL side to prop itself up? The rate for NBL was $100k each.

Reply #507472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL teams don't have that kind of cash to throw around, but they don't have the overheads of an NBL team either.

Reply #507514 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:23 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754