swish
Years ago

first 36ers teams

Does anyone have any images (video or photos) of the 36ers from their first 2 - 3 years. It seems the club didn't take care of that type of stuff back in the day when it really was all about survivial.

This is back before the "amalgamation" with West Adelaide bearcats. I think imports were players like Dave Winslow, possibly Reg Biddings?, Dan Clausen. Locals were guys like Darrly Pearce, Rick Hodges ( I think) and Kym Borret.
Coach was Mike Osborne.

The Whyalla Basketball Association is looking for a decent photo of Kym Borret. Kym was a Whyalla junior and along with Chris Blakemore are the only two Whyalla locals to make it to the NBL, so they would like to capture add to their record of their own history.

Topic #36338 | Report this topic

Rock  
Years ago

Contact Steve Sparrow for K Borrett's ph number in Sydney

Reply #511970 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Contact Scotch College in Adelaide to get in touch with Coach Sparrow (if necessary)

Reply #512004 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The players used by the club in 1982 (when they were the Adelaide City Eagles) were:

Andy Amberg, Reg Biddings, Kym Borrett, Craig Clatworthy, Ericks Drizners, Ian Grigg, Lutz Heim, Rick Hodges, Paul Hyland, Mark Lampshire, Darryl Pearce, Colin Pickett, Hans Raets, Chris Stirling, Mark Sykes, Vince Tattarelli and David Winslow.

According to the Historical Stats on the NBL website.

Reply #512036 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Great post. Most fans seem to think that the team started in '86 when they were champions. A lot of the players feel they have been forgotten and rarely acknowledged as the original 36ers. FYI the first captain of the team was Chris Stirling.

Reply #512052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because they weren't the 36ers then. In that case all West Adelaide Bearcat players could argue the same thing. Only when the Adelaide Eagles joined forces with West Adelaide did the team become the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #512105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasnt there a Buffalo's team playing out of Adelaide at some point too?

Reply #512124 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Certainly was a Buffalo team. Juniors and others from memory. Played in the second-tier national comp that existed then.

36ERS & Buffalo names were complementary - 1836 the year in which Adelaide was settled [by Europeans] and 'The Buffalo' the name of the ship in which they arrived.

Seem to recall Albert Leslie coached the Buffalos to a premiership, but I would be well wrong, since this is all memory and no research.

Reply #512128 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the Adelaide City Eagles became the 36ers before the amalgamation with West Adelaide and Mike Osborne was the first 36ers coach, not Ken Cole. ( this is supported on 36ers website- history board)

Neither Kym Borrett nor Mike Osborne themselves have any resonable photos of the team from that time. I guess cameras were not part of everybodys jewelery as they are these days. Not so many photos were taken and it certainly not so easy to get and keep good quality photos.

If anybody knows any of the other players form that era who might have team photos the Whyalla basketball Association would love to know.

Scott Ninnis played for the Buffaloes. They were like a feeder team for the 36ers dominted the SEABL for a while.

Reply #512130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

105, your information is incorrect.

Maybe try some research next time? Just a thought.

Reply #512171 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think swish is correct.

The Adelaide City Eagles became the Adelaide 36ers in 1983. The merger with West Adelaide didn't happen until after the 1984 season.

Reply #512235 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Goto http://www.adelaide36ers.com/history for details - they began in 1982 but as the Adelaide City Eagles.

Meanwhile, I can't get Dave Winslow's TV ad out of my head and FWIW, can't remember the company name.

Crichtons (or was it Titans?) - get on down there, brother
Crichtons - mmmm, looking good
Crichtons, it's Crichtons, it's Crichtons, it's Crichtons

Reply #512239 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Hey Moses, Brilliant photo and fun trying to name them all.

I didn't even know the club had put that info on their site.

Thanks for that and everyone else for the comments.

Reply #512308 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

If you're still chasing images could be worth contacting Jeff Coulls [manager, in the photo] or Dick Butler, who was well up in the State and national basketball hierarchy at that time and just might have something.

Reply #512378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754