steve
Years ago

Mornington Breakers D2 Men

Whats going on at Mornington, their D2 Men got belted by cranbourne saturday night then rolled again well and truly by Hawthorns YL mens team,looks like a long painfull season ahead

Topic #36367 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Watched half of Saturdays game.Yes it was painful to watch but they've got some kids coming through and unfortunately its going to take time.

Reply #512745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are young and small. I wouldnt expect any of the D2 teams to beat a decent VYCM team. Casey with the new recruits would have also been huge compared to them.

Reply #512751 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There probably another 3-4 years away as they got pushed around by the bigger bodies of Casey.I'd like to see Hankin take over the gig next year and maybe he can bring some experienced heads with him to get through this transition period.

Reply #512759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be more concerned about keysborough if the score from weekend is correct.

Reply #512770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Pen looking sharp for this Year, Watch out for them as D1 Contenders!

From all reports Keysy couldn't handle the speed that Southern Pen Brought to the court!

Reply #512771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did they have their full team?

Reply #512773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysy looked like Deer in headlights from what i saw on the weekend. Southern Pen will be very solid in D1 they have a lot of weapons and can go small or tall from what I saw.

Reply #512774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yup keysy was full strength

Reply #512785 | Report this post

mimas  
Years ago

Hard to judge Mornington by Casey as Casey are going to be exceptionally good this year

Reply #512787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was told keysborough ran a lot of youth players coming through and were missing several key players due to injuries and unavailable for game

Reply #512792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough had Sliwinski Missing and that was it. The players that came up from the youth side wernt the problem. The majority looked awfully old and slow and didn`t play with much urgency, practice game or not.

Reply #512808 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

i reckon you nailed it Happy Days Hankin is the Key to Morningtons future, Berry has had it don't why he's going around again its obvious by saturday nights game he can't keep up.

Reply #512840 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

OK so Mornington are rebuilding, when did they ever peak? If they were serious and had any balls about them they would have placed Dave straight in to the senior role, more fluffing around and wasting time IMO.

Reply #512845 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Didn't speak to Dave as had to get home for the soccer.Maybe he couldnt make the commitment because of work but he would be the right person to build around.Need to review the whole Big V program.

Reply #512860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does D2W have an import this year?

Reply #512886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Ashke, if you are rebuilding the first thing you need is a solid foundation. I would have thought that Dave being appointed to coach the senior team for a few years was a no brainer. To have any sort of success they can't rely on the kids they need some senior heads who can commit for a few years. I'm sure Dave could have made that happen. Going to be a long long season..

Reply #512890 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I spoke to several board members over 2 years ago about getting Dave on board as head coach.Told them what i thought it would cost but the board end up resigning so it never went aware.The club needs stability at board level and get the right people in the head coaching roles. Also need to do independant review of there programs as they have a number of non basketball people on the board.

Reply #512902 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days, would it be fair to say that the club simply doesn't have any current/active members that are involved with basketball at the higher levels, therefore they simply miss out on a lot of good opportunities or simply just don't know what a good opportunity is?

Reply #512905 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Totally agree.There flying blind to a degree and dont really know who to speak to.Impact are only in it for a $$$ which is fair enough but some parents are sceptical of the direction of the club.

Reply #512912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably would be a good idea for Demarcus to stop bagging his players

Reply #512925 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Happy Days, educate me please. Why would the club ask players to pay for an external company to come in and run their development programs when they have a full time Director of Coaching??? How can you then justify the DOC's pay when he doesn't run their development programs?

Surely someone at board level has thought "shit, what are we doing here?". IMO he should be out on the court running programs non-stop, sure he can employ a few casual coaches to come in and help but he should be driving all of the programs. It would increase revenue, and maybe, just maybe develop an elite level player somewhere down the track.

Reply #512934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking to several people from down at Keysborough, apparently a DV SCM player from 2014 has signed on for 2015. No announcement yet.

Reply #512940 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ashke stop being logical!!! Don't worry some of the parents have caught on to it and are asking questions.There are so many good coaches out there they could utilise for 20% of the cost of bringing these people out from the states. These guys in one session aren't going to magically turn your son into an NBA player.
The club is heading in the right direction from where they were but now is the time to do an independant review to straighten up the program as its veering off the road...

Reply #512946 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

Hankin apparently did apply for the mens gig but for some reason they went for Berry as coach
My kid went to the impact camp, nothing special, for what you pay its a waste of time, you are right its there coz someoneones getting a kickback i would suggest.
i think morno with Bresnan coaching the women,Hankin YL and Wansbrough YLWomen they are finally moving in the right direction, coaches wise, but the men they just keep stuffing up

Reply #512998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I know Mornington have $$$, a decent stadium, strong numbers in juniors and have been that way for years but never achieve what they are capable off, much like Casey and Pakenham.

If I was on the board at Mornington I would be head hunting a person who has a record of building up small to medium sized clubs into competitive programs and somebody who can develop junior players that provide pathways to their BIG V team.

I would do whatever I could to entice that person over, because until they get that person and back them they will continue to under achieving.

They wouldn't have to look to far I know there is a coach in their own BIG V competition doing exactly that at the moment.

Start looking Mornington!

Reply #513071 | Report this post

Backseat Drivers  
Years ago

Been around Bball for 40+ yrs and Berry is a good man and knows his stuff; perhaps he is past playing but he certainly can coach. Those who don't like his coaching methods or possible cursing of players or talking about players etc. should harden up or leave.
He is trying to make calls on basketball matters but you can't run with your legs tied. The right people are on the committee they just need to allow an employee to do his job unhindered, they know business, Berry knows basketball, I don't think Bery has told them where to spend money or what to budget for. It's very clear that certain people are not supporting him or allowing him to make basketball decisions, these people who are failing to support him are abusing their power at the club and thinking of themselves and not the association.
Let Berry do his job, unhindered then judge him. As for juniors the club has never had this many quality junior coaches, when you have 170 NEW junior players come you must be doing something right and heading in the right direction, so jump onboard and enjoy the ride or get off at the next station either way the future is bright for Breakers.

Reply #513152 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

In all fairness to Demarcus the playing roster he has to work with is very average.Until they can give him some decent players to work with we dont really know how good a coach he is if he is one at all.After watching what i saw last week i wont be back to watch that.I'd probably prefer to watch the improvement in the womens team.Hopefully they wont get a womens import as they have been no better than the locals.

Reply #513157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea what sort of Cash that DB is on to coach the team, but i am sure that they could find a local coach freeing up that money to get in an import that could help them on the court?

Reply #513195 | Report this post

Backseat Drivers  
Years ago

Haters are gonna hate no matter what but it's important if your part of the Breakers program to get behind the position/s that Demarcus or any of our junior or senior coaches hold. I have heard he is doing it for free, not sure you'll find anyone else to do that if it's true. Anyone outside will continue to fabricate lies in an attempt to justify their themselves in an attempt to undermine him, others and the program. As long as the committee are seeking Demarcus's input and knowledge on Basketball matters it should run smoothly; it's when people who don't know the game start telling him (or anyone who holds his position) to do it their way without first obtaining his input and allowing him to have final say on Basketball matters you start to dig holes. By not supporting him your not supporting the Breakers.

Reply #513216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks DB

Reply #513226 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

Is Tindal playing at Morno

Reply #513233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn`t he at Frankston

Reply #513241 | Report this post

Backseat Drivers  
Years ago

Am I to assume anonymous that the DB comment was in my direction? If so your not even close :-D An avid supporter of Demacus & the Breakers program; try again though cause it's amusing me ;-)

Reply #513275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Back Seat, quality not quantity is far more important. The success of a program is measured by the level that the teams are playing at. Where will the majority of junior teams be playing this season (or how many at or above VJBL). Yes, there may be some good coaches there but how many are parents? I think it's time to take the rose coloured glasses off. Demarcus might be a good guy but I'm not sure that his coaching experience is adequate or enough for the Breakers to move forward.

Reply #513292 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I totally agree with quality over quantity but basketball associations have two main streams of revenue: Domestic and Rep Ball and when your making repayments on your stadium it ends up the opposite.(quantity over quality)

Reply #513294 | Report this post

Backseat Drivers  
Years ago

Your points are all valid. Just getting people wanting to choose to play at Breakers is important when you are flagged by Sth Pen and Frankston. I agree the level you play at is a major factor in the measure for success but so is having people wanting to be part of your program; i think it's not just success you measure your program by although it is a major factor. Every program from Melbourne, Bulleen, Dandenong, Frankston etc. Have parent coaches, every program woild prefer not to but the clubs success is dependent upon them as it is with any volunteer. As for Demarcus all I want is for him not to be hindered in his job; is he the man to take it forward? I'm not sure but he is currently there so i was merely hoping he would get support from people in the program. It is easier to take pot shots at peoples failings when their hands are tied. If he is allowed to run the program as he sees fit (as most DOC are) and fails then I will be the first to say well he wasn't the he right one for the job. DOC's are hit and miss; you need the right one at the right time and that can sometimes prove difficult to find, Bill Raunchy is a great example right man right time.
I would like DeMarcus to get supported until the end of his contact and see if he succeeds or fails; as I said it's easy sitting back in the stands taking pot shots at someone than to approach them and talk to them.
I like you anonymous i think your a club person who is passionate for the games growth; I just hope you support your DOC and allow them to do their job; if that means they fail than so be it.

Reply #513302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mornington vs altona this saturday

Reply #513310 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

What time Saturday?

Reply #513347 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Mornington Vs Altona? Can't wait, are they selling popcorn at the game?

Reply #513355 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I think i'll pass on this weeks game...will wander down to Southern Pen before football starts for a bo peep.Do they still have the meat tray raffle?

Reply #513359 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

lol I don't think so Happy Days

Reply #513369 | Report this post

Paulie V  
Years ago

Vs Altona Saturday
Vs Melb Uni Sunday

Reply #513405 | Report this post

Billy Hoyle  
Years ago

The men have two more games this weekend?
Didn't they have quite a few practice matches before last Christmas as well ?
Happy Days or Paulie V, can someone tell me how many practice matches they've played for the lead up to this season ?

Reply #513436 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Off the top of my head 6 or 7,Will of played a season before the season starts.....

Reply #513450 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

talking to acouple of the players the other night Berry has booked a total of 16 or 17 practice games before the Big V tourny and they are doing that as well they will all be well and truly buggered before the season even starts

Reply #513596 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Wont be much juice in the tank once the season starts...

Reply #513648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because playing 20 matches in a big v season is so tiring especially with the 10 minute quarters now. 1 or 2 games a week is easy.

Reply #513689 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Really - Steve - there is a touring group of US players in Melbourne at the moment. They will play 12 games in 12 days - Mornington will be fine - they might even improve!!!!! At least the coaching staff doing what they can to improve the team in gameplay.

Reply #513691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, That touring team might be playing 12 games in 12 days but they are a team of "fit" athletes. If you look around the BIG V from youth all the way up to the top 4 side in state champ you would be lucky to find 4 basketball fit players on each roster.

Reply #514032 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

There playing 12 games in 12 days to get maximum exposure to as many clubs. I think this is Chris Warrens group as Adam Prossin has a team coming over later in the month.

Reply #514064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct current group is Chris Warren. have played Keysborough and Blackburn now.

Reply #514093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any good news out of the Breakers camp? New coach?

Reply #527039 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Chris Anstey...

Reply #527044 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754