Topic #36577 | Report this topic

Ayjay  
Years ago

The big question and pivotal to all discussion,

is Brock Motum fit and able to play?

Reply #517458 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah he is fine, all precautionary stuff. Was on news tonight too. Good the team is already in NZ, training and won't be road weary etc

36ers should win this series 2-0, and thinking 8+ win margin in game 1.

Reply #517459 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Are play off games on TV?

Reply #517460 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Yes all on one hd but delayed till 9.30pm

Reply #517462 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Jackson v Wilson, Webster v Gibson, Abercrombie v Creek, Vukona v Petrie, Ibekwe v Motum, two teams who play fast and aggressive, what more could you want?

We've got two of the more talented teams you will ever find in the NBL who both play fun basketball - this series is going to be awesome!

Reply #517464 | Report this post

Davo  
Years ago

Breakers in 3, Adelaide will choke again. Breakers too experienced.

Reply #517468 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Choke again... huh

Reply #517473 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Paul, throw DJ in there on top of those matchups!

Reply #517474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pledger v Schenscher, Carter v Teys, and I guess it will be Vukona, Wesley and Ibekwe all taking turns on Johnson.

Reply #517482 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This is the series that should be the GF.

The Breakers hold no fear for the Sixers and the Sixers will be out to play a very fast game. The reffing in NZ is not as constrictive and so the little niggles will be let go within reason.

G1 should be high scoring and the Sixers have lifted their bat for the ton 5 times this season. The Breakers twice. The average game score this season when these team have played has been 174 points.

The Breakers were the last team to beat the Sixers, who have won 13/14 of their last games. The Breakers have won 2 of their last 6 games, and also lost the last 3 games at Vector. That's not a hat-tick they want. The Sixers will want to make it 4 in a row - that's not a double hat trick - just ask Malinga when he bowled 4 South Afrikaans in a row.

With Australia playing the Kiwis in the CWC15 as well, our friendly Kiwi Kousins would be beside themselves with the smorgasbord of sport in Auckland. You can use the word smorgasbord now since Piggy is no longer PM.

Webster the guy to watch from the Sixers perspective. If he doesn't get Most Improved, they burn the house down. Obviously Action Jackson the other Breaker they need to break.

Sixers in Game 1, Sixers to go full Rambo in game 2 and seal the deal.

Reply #517488 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Love where your heads at jack!

Reply #517490 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Should be a great game, I look forward to watching it when I'm back in NZ.

Reply #517493 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Championship comes out of this series IMO.

Abercrombie the danger man for the 36ers I reckon. He's been playing somewhat passively/out of form and if he can turn that around he is always a hard cover for the 36ers. Creek has improved a fair bit though so should be a good match up.

As pointed out above, good match ups everywhere in this one!

I just think the Sixers over a 3 games series have the talent, depth, polish & hunger to come out on top.

My only concern is we havent lost in a while so not sure how we would react to a loss?

This has to be the most interesting Finals series in a long time though!

Reply #517502 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I should also point out that I'm putting some cash on NZ to win. As the worlds unluckiest gambler this should ensure a 36ers series victory!

Reply #517503 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

These playoffs have the potential to be even better than 2012, let's hope they deliver!

Reply #517504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson's defense is very poor. Jackson will tear him to shreads. Gibbo is too slow to defend Jackson all game.

Reply #517507 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 517507 - Wilson isn't the greatest defender, granted. However Jackson has his hands full at the other end with Wilson too. Jackson hasnt exactly nullified Wilson in previous games so it goes both ways.

Gibbo will defend Webster most of the game I would imagine and he will be too strong and smart for Webster, nor can Webster defend Gibbo.

They key for both teams will be team defence rather than individual brilliance.

Reply #517509 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Odds on Centrebet to make the Grand Final have tightened.

Breakers have gone from $1.75 to $1.80
36ers have come in from $2.05 to $2.00

Reply #517511 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson has done a pretty good job on Jackson the last two times they met, he is certainly better suited to that match-up than Gibbo who doesnt have the explosive speed needed. Given Jackson comes of a million on-balls, the bigs have a huge role to help keep him out of the lane.

Reply #517512 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Not a fan of either of these teams to be honest but have to admit the winner of this series will win the title I'm picking Nzl to get through and wouldn't be surprised if there was an overtime game in this series

Reply #517520 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wow, no team shorter than $3 to win, no one longer than $4.50, this is great!

Reply #517528 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Looking forward to game and to seeing us go straight into grand Final when we win at home in Adelaide.
Joey start DJ and ease Brock if ok to play.

Reply #517540 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Breakers in 3

Reply #517545 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Centrebet now have game odds up.

New Zealand
To win = $1.65
To win by 1-10 = $2.65
To win by 11+ = $4.00

Adelaide
To win = $2.25
To win by 1-10 = $3.25
To win by 11+ = $5.50

The line is 2.5

Halftime/Fulltime Bets
NZ / NZ = $2.25
NZ / 36ers = $6.50
36ers / NZ = $6.00
36ers / 36ers = $3.15

Reply #517549 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ill be dabbling in that 36ers win at $2.25. Half time full time always tough. Maybe even 36ers 1-10.

Reply #517551 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

$6.50 for NZ36ers could be good, I could see NZ coming out strong at home and then 36ers finishing too strong for them.

Reply #517580 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sportsbets Series betting suggests to me that they think Adelaide are favourites.

Adelaide 2-0 = $3.00
Adelaide 2-1 = $4.00

New Zealand 2-0 = $4.33
New Zealand 2-1 = $3.00

Reply #517581 | Report this post

The key to this series for the Breakers this series is Vukona. He has been in terrible form all season and is starting to show his age. If Vukona has a good series, both offensively by being a low post threat and defensively, by locking up Brock Motum, this could be a long series for Adelaide.

We also need Pledger to have a good series despite his toe injury. Playing Ibekwe and his slender body against the Sixers' frontline is too risky. We need Pledger to play big minutes and play big defense.

Jackson being known as a great defender is a myth, allows too many point guards to score big on him, so would give Wilson the edge against him. Same goes for Gibson against Webster, Webster struggles to keep up with anyone on defense.

If Abercrombie can be his usual great defensive self and he finds a role offensively, he will be the biggest handful for the Sixers.

As a Breakers fan, I hate that a plan involving getting Motum in foul trouble wouldn't work due to your incredible depth, which will also be a big factor.

Will be an amazing series, best since 2011/12 Grand Final IMO.

Picking Breakers in 3, only because of the Vector home crowd.

Reply #517598 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Just quietly, the nerves are setting starting to set in for me. Can't wait until Tip-off, should be some great Basketball.

Reply #517599 | Report this post

pod  
Years ago

agree, need to put some mula down on nz to win game 1. just as precaution in case it happens. hate to think 6ers lost and didn't win money from it. 6ers win, happy as despite losing $, nz win and I win money and go to game 2 here in adl

Reply #517603 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The old insurance bet.

Reply #517617 | Report this post

Breakers in 3 Only because of the home court advantage

Reply #517625 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyone else going to try an avoid a score to watch it delayed on One?

Reply #517682 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yep. going to be hard to not take a peep but want to enjoy the game for all its emotions. kids have their school games at the same time otherwise we would be at the Ark at Sportys watching pseudo live on NBL TV

Reply #517684 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'm at TAFE til 9:30. So hopefully I finish early, to get home in time. And hopefully I'm busy enough I don't check my phone.

Reply #517693 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Abercrombie has to be aggressive and take enough good shots to get his 16 points. Webster has to get his 20+. Forget any offensive production from Vukona, not going to happen. Pledger has to get 10 shots off in the paint and Ubekwe must go to the hoop, stay out of foul trouble and get his 20. Wesley is key if he can get 10+, he will take the heat off Vukona and other bigs.
Sixers have the wood on us and are a great chance to get this one on the road. Wilson has been unstoppable and Jackson nor Webster cannot contain him. Gibson must feel confident, given he has ripped us recently.
It used to be that we did not care about Sixers scoring because they played no defence and we could always be sure they would give up more than they scored. But that has changed of late and they are not as easy to score on as in the past.

Reply #517700 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Can't wait for this game to get under way, should be another cracker. Not sure how to tip this one but Breakers at home in a final is going to be a tough one. Brock Motum will be the key, if he plays and is fully fit then it could swing the way of the 36ers.

Reply #517701 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hendo8888 get your priorities right Sixers > Education! :)

Reply #517702 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am tipping a 6 point Adelaide win.

Reply #517705 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe the game will be shown over NBL.TV at the Arkaba from 5pm, so that's where I'll be going. No chance of me avoiding scores until the delayed telecast. Yes, it's NBL.TV and sometimes the feed dies, but with keen fans in attendance, it doesn't raise more than "TYPICAL!" calls in response which are a bit amusing.

Reply #517707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, if you are a sportsbet customer, you can watch it for free through their site.

ABC Radio will also be broadcasting the game online.. http://www.abc.net.au/radio/player/?station=itinerant_two

Reply #517709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going to avoid all possible chances of seeing scores and watch it on One at 9:30.

In saying that I have a bit of a funny feeling tonight the Breakers will win and win comfortably.

I hope I'm wrong but Breakers by 13 points.

Reply #517710 | Report this post

pod  
Years ago

im too involved as a member to not have an insurance bet (term) skip. but I don't dislike nz, I love when they beat the cats (previously)

Reply #517718 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Looks like Motum is playing and starting too

Reply #517759 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Joey needed that timeout at 11-2, waited too long.

Reply #517762 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great start Breakers

Reply #517763 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

NZL LEAD 31-25 QT

Adelaide will take that after a 16-2 start by NZL

Reply #517764 | Report this post

DDA  
Years ago

Where the hell are live stats?

NBL website useless as usual.

Reply #517765 | Report this post

pod  
Years ago

lovin the commentary, bias and advantage NZ.
could they be any more bias?

free throws and turnovers are horrid and killin us

Reply #517766 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Where the hell are live stats?

NBL website useless as usual."

They're on the site. Click the right arrow at the end of the Round 20 games and you'll see the finals games. it should be easier to find though.

Reply #517767 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

http://www.fibalivestats.com/u/NBL/91207/pbp.html

Reply #517769 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

http://dtlive.com.au/nbl/livescores.php?GameID=337

Reply #517770 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

NZL lead 56 to 41 half time

Reply #517771 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Such a poor start energy wise, Im not sure who that is on, players or coaches. I thought they'd be nice a rested, but didn't seem to come out with the mentality its a finals game. Mind you best half NZ have played for a half a season!

Reply #517772 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

13 down at the half? It's doable still, but damn! I didn't expect to be in this situation at the half. One would hope our superior bench depth would see us through in the second half.

Reply #517773 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sixers did not show up. We have our confidence and doing whatever we want. Dominating inside. Hard to see Sixers getting back into it.

Reply #517776 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Told y'all, they're a different beast come finals!

Reply #517777 | Report this post

DDA  
Years ago

Thanks guys for the link.

Scores default to round 1 for me for some pointless reason.

Reply #517778 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Finals experience means a hell of a lot.

Reply #517779 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Adelaide made game 3 of the GF last season, so not sure if that playoff experience comment is for or against. Very surprised with how slow the 36ers came out, but expect a run.

Reply #517780 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I would expect the guys to get a bollocking from the coach after this. But they aren't over by a long shot. They wont be going down without a fight.

Reply #517781 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well done NZ, stepping up when it counts.

Reply #517782 | Report this post

Nobody  
Years ago

73 - 51. Kiwis lead with 5:30 to go in the 3rd.

Reply #517783 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Someone needs to light up from the perimeter for Adelaide, and they need to lock down on Abercrombie and Webster's shooting. But so far it is pretty comprehensive, inside and outside.

Reply #517784 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

Wow this was unexpected considering how well the 6ers were playing

Reply #517785 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

This shows the danger having to come from so far back to just make the finals the risk of a letdown in finals is much higher.

Reply #517787 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Lol, I was about to say it was the Breakers starting five doing all the work, not much from the bench, then on the play-by-play I see Te Rangi o-board leading to a made 3pt shot, then Carter with a block and an assist.

Reply #517788 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

Finals are nothing new to the current 6ers either. petrie has been there with the Hawks and the 6ers last season. Gibbo won it with the bullets and as did Joey.

Reply #517789 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I don't think this is any more than a bad individual game. Dissect it ant which way, but Breakers are making shots they haven't made for ages and the 36ers are missing shots they've been making. Game 2 will now be huge, still expect to win this series.

Reply #517790 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, one advantage you guys have over the Richmond Tigers, who pulled this same trick, is that you still have two games you can win to make it through.

Reply #517791 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Breakers up by 30 .....WOW !

Reply #517792 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Braswells commentary is BORING!!

Reply #517793 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

The last two final games have been disasters for the 6ers. they lost by 30 plus in perth in the GF game 3 and looks like another big loss tonight.

Reply #517794 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Braswell is painful, hasn't mad one interesting comment, and so mundane. He sounds like the 36ers are playing!

Reply #517795 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Fourth foul on Jamar Wilson with a quarter still to play ... well, it doesn't really matter, play the bench, figure out what to do in the next two games.

Reply #517796 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

That's a bit unfair, Kobe. At least Braswell turned up! ;-)

Reply #517797 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ill pay that!

Reply #517798 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Breakers 11/22 3pt
Adelaide 2/11 3pt

Bloody Brock Motum spent his good shooting luck against Perth, the jerk.

Reply #517799 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Presented without comment:

00:44 11, D. Bailey, Assist
00:46 07, R. Te Rangi, 3pt jump shot made 89-54 35
00:57 07, R. Te Rangi, Offensive Rebound
00:58 07, R. Te Rangi, Free Throw 2 of 2 missed 86-54 32
00:58 07, R. Te Rangi, Free Throw 1 of 2 missed 86-54 32
00:58 07, R. Te Rangi, Foul on

Reply #517800 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Its so weird. For absolutely no reason I just knew this would happen. Perhaps not by 30+ but despite Adelaide being in better form, there was just a feeling. Pretty disappointing.

Reply #517801 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I thought we would lose this one....but not by 30 - that's disgraceful.

Reply #517802 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

And Jamar Wilson took all of 12 seconds to say, nah, I'd rather sit down...

Reply #517803 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I can't imagine the sixers not having a run at some point, but it just doesn't seem to be happening?

Reply #517804 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Defense...the 36ers need to learn how to play it - and quickly!

Reply #517805 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Live stats are showing Wilson with 5 fouls and still playing lol

Reply #517806 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

36ers need to put the bench on and prevent injury to its best players. Let them begin to dissect this game now!

Reply #517807 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Train,

I just noticed that, was scratching my head!

Reply #517808 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Where's sixers147, bit quite

Reply #517809 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Petrie is sneaky dirty.

Reply #517810 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Nathan : So either live stats has stuffed up.....or the refs have not noticed yet haha

Reply #517811 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Holy Motum! Whats happening?

Reply #517812 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Ahh Peach and Vukona old team mates, its all a bit weak. Not a bad little statement, will be some fireworks for game 2. This stuff always gets ugly when there is a blowout. Pity Braswell doest get ejected.

Reply #517813 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I tell you, if 36ers play like that back in Adelaide, Jack Toft is either gonna kill someone or die of shame :)

Reply #517814 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

They are always hard pills to swallow losses like that, BUT its better now than in game 3 of a GF, IF they have the intentions and mindset to still believe they are legit. Gotta love the 3 game series, long way to go, but very embarrassing showing. Interested to see how the guys respond in Adelaide.

Reply #517815 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So that was a thing.

Reply #517816 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson, 1-5 from deep. Sigh!

Reply #517817 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Adelaide can easily rebound from this at home.

I think the biggest concern for them now is Game 3 back at Vector. The key for Adelaide here was to win game 1 and take some pressure off but now the pressure has been amped up 50 percent.

Reply #517818 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Should be renamed the 63ers, which is the combined losing margin of their last two finals games.

Reply #517819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ lol

Reply #517820 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Uwe,

The more you know!

Reply #517822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible d

Reply #517823 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Adelaide SHOULD win at home. Should being the operative word. But the real test will be New Zealand at home again. This is massively disappointing. I can't even fathom the team we have losing to New Zealand by 30. It boggles the mind. I hope Joey gives them all "what for"

Reply #517824 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Did I hear that right? The Breakers got a direct flight to adelaide, while the adelaide players have to stopover in either Brisbane or Sydney?

Reply #517825 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Probably kill someone! Where's the nearest Cats fan......

Reply #517832 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

Where are you Sixers147?

Reply #517833 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

No answers to Breakers inside game. Motum, Petrie, Johnson were dreadful defensively. Breakers hit the 3 and it was all over. Don't know how Joey and team pick themselves up from this. Sixers look a gone burger.

Reply #517834 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Tom, quite easily, rebound and run, and its a different style and temp altogether. Series are never won in game 1, if they 6ers adjust which they will, there is a long way to go.

And lets not encourage sixers147 ;P

Reply #517835 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Sixers147 only comes on here when the 36ers Win or the Wildcats lose lol

Reply #517836 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah pretty much, thats how irrational fans usually act haha

Reply #517838 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

At least there doesn't seem to be too many people on here to rub your faces in it tonight haha.
I find facebook and twitter horrible for that kind of thing.

Reply #517839 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I mean it is what it is, we all love the game we all want to win, and its very easy to get ahead of yourself. Maybe if Perth win tomorrow a few fans may post on this thread haha

Yes twitter and FB the worst, and its just awkward when the trolls are children haha

Reply #517840 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers are 0/2 with their Mulligan sidekicks recently. Shame they weren't as average on court!

Last year, I think Adelaide mentally played their grand final to beat Perth and level the series. They were then thumped back over in WA.

This time, I think their mental 'final' was the streak and locking in a finals spot. At least this time they have a chance to recover.

Tonight they let Jackson do what he wanted, they let the Breakers control the tempo, once the game looked lost they didn't hustle, they didn't play confidently (other than Creek's early play) and they were constantly resorting to low percentage options. How often were they trapped or controlled in the paint and then forced up a shot rather than move it on to an open option?

I bet on the Breakers and the beers were free at the pub, so at least there was that.

Reply #517842 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Yes Kobe, dont you worry.... I'm just waiting for the Cats to win tomorrow before i give you a hard time mate haha :P

Reply #517843 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im currently relying on a Collingwood win by 7.5 to win my money back... looks good. You know its a bad night when you rely on Collingwood to win in the NAB CUP. FML

Reply #517844 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Dealing with the devil lol

Reply #517850 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schenscher played less than five minutes. Once the game switched from the run-and-gun to half-court sets, surely he's worth putting back in? Especially just as a roll of the dice?

He was in foul trouble, but so what.

He was +7 tonight.

HOME TEAM
C. Jackson: 28
C. Webster: 27
T. Abercrombie: 22
M. Vukona: 25
E. Ibekwe: 27
R. Te Rangi: 7
R. Carter: 9
A. Pledger: 5
T. Wesley: 3
D. Bailey: -2
S. Ili: -3
B. Anderson: -3

ROAD TEAM
A. Gibson: -26
J. Wilson: -31
B. Motum: -32
A. Petrie: -27
M. Creek: -20
D. Johnson: -13
B. Teys: 2
L. Schenscher: 7
T. Daly: -1
P. Crawford: -4

Reply #517851 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Joey doesn't seem to like utilising Luke at all, people keep asking whats wrong with Luke, he doesn't get to play!!!

Reply #517852 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

New Zealand shot the ball brilliantly through the first three quarters, going at a 53% clip and 50% from beyond the arc, while Adelaide struggled to 36% and 17% respectively before improving when the match was effectively over.

The series will now turn to Adelaide for game two on Saturday night, with game three to be played on Monday in New Zealand if necessary.

Super Breakers trounce hapless Sixers to take early lead

Reply #517855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson missing again!!

Reply #517861 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Can't watch this anymore.
We didn't rock up at all tonight.
Pathetic.

We'd need to play 100% better than that on Saturday.

Reply #517862 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

To be fair on Schenscher, every time he was near the ball, he got called for a foul. That's why he didn't play much.

Reply #517864 | Report this post

Nike  
Years ago

We're gibsin and wright playing for brisbane tonight...?

Reply #517865 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

NZ shot lights out and we had a lid on the rim but I think we can bounce back.

Reply #517866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best team won & the sooner you S.A. sooks man up the better. Always was a Cairns v NZ final!

Reply #517867 | Report this post

sixers147  
Years ago

There is no way, NZ can play any better than that, if other teams in the finals played against nz tonight for example perth, that would have been a 40 point win to NZ.

At least we will get some joy seeing the wildcats get thumped tomorrow against a more determined and talented team in cairns on Friday night

Reply #517870 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Luke didn't get any burn, no rhythm, if he is good enough to sit on the pine, why not play him a little and maybe cause mismatch.... worst case he fouls out right....

I still like the 36ers in this series, lets see what happens in the next 48hrs.

Reply #517871 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

sixers147... shooooosh. Lets just take care of our own backyard and then talk some trash!

Reply #517872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh, not so worried after watching, not as bad as the stats/scoreline show.
Shots on for Breakers, not for the Sixer(put up enough) Gibbo off game, Motum still looking a little stiff in the legs and well you know, home court, refs meh, hands all over the boys, Joey looked like he knew this was the monkey game they need to shake off after 10 straight. Defensive holes can be plugged with better rotations..Video reviews on the way home to work out the deficits and all sorted. Anyone know the refs for Saturday ???

Really liking DJ getting his angry eyes out.

Reply #517877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst call of the night,Peach deserved the USF but who pulled who to the ground, the serial offender VUKONA, always the retaliator who gets the foul. Well played Breakers, beat the crap outta 6ers from the 1st play.

Reply #517878 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I knew the result already, but I couldn't bare to watch much more than half of the game . The 36ers looked lethargic and reactive on defence, and they were timid and impatient on offence. A little bit of ball movement and "off the ball" movement wouldn't have hurt. It just looked like we were rushing shots as soon as one appeared open rather than work to manufacture anything.

New Zealand set the pace from the very start and the 36ers looked immediately rattled. Their body language from the very tip off was tentative and I can't imagine them playing quite that badly twice in a row, nor the Breakers playing quite that well consecutively. The Breakers who played today were unlike they have been in this whole season. I don't think they can be underestimated by anybody now.

If we are to take this series, we need to start the game with physicality. Ball movement, get into the lanes and force them to foul. All these lazy floaters wont do. Take it to the body of the man and force them to try to stop you. If you want to take the series, you want Vukona in foul trouble. He is the key to their offensive rebounds and I pick him to be the main issue we will have.

Overall though, kind of woeful game for the sixers but it wasn't without its moments. I especially liked Joey Wright's quote "They are beating you at being men, not basketball!"

They did hit the court with a little more purpose immediately after that, but were overwhelmed by a team that was running like a freight train.

Reply #517880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with getting Schenscher in the game especially when all was lost.

It was lucky Petrie wasn't ejected. Brain fade...... Again!!

Is it just me ( look at last years finals too) but it seams the bigger the game the worse Gibson shoots.

Reply #517881 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

NZ were brilliant tonight. Would have beaten anyone. We were out coached and out played. They hit consistently from range and were strong inside as well. Played a balanced game pushed the umpires boundaries, exposed our lack of perimeter %, negated our zone defense (???), established scoreboard pressure, disrupted our cohesion and drew the crowd in.

Game II, we need to back at them Saturday night!

I will be there with faith in Joey and expecting an emphatic win.

Crunch time

Go Sixers!

Reply #517885 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I thought Adelaide had this series in the bag 2-0?

I guess the team that recently 3peated turned up to play.

After winning 10 in a row and then getting smashed by 30 in a semi, can Adelaide bounce back mentally to make a series of it?

Reply #517887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ development player Brad Anderson came on and scored the same amount of points in 1 minute and 49 seconds as Teys, Daly, Crawford and Schensher scored combined for the entire game.

Reply #517888 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I did pick NZ to win this semi final series, but I wasn't really prepared for what I saw last night. I can't see the 6'ers coming back from this, sorry boys but even if you some how get the chocolates at home to level it up, that will be all she wrote this year...

Reply #517891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a sixers and joey fan but that doesn't mean to say I can't see the truth.

Last nights games showed a few things;
Motum was not quite ready to run last night and should never take the jump. Schensh DJ or Peach should always get that gig.
Against NZ Jamar and Motums defensive issues size and vision were exposed and exploited and not responded to quickly enough.
Gibbo was having an off night, not sure why he is having more of these but if he shows up he will be a beast.
The best on ball defender in the sixers did not get enough court time. Teyzzzes.
That Wilson and Gibbo should never try to shoot deep over Vikona or Ibekwe especially when they are havjng an off one.
That Schensh gets a hard time from the refs because they can't get a grip on his hip height and adjust their calls accordingly to suit his body.
That home court advantage went to the extreme last night and refs are desensitised to the hip and should from watching too much rugby and footy.
That the young bucks in NZ have attitude and hustle but the flip side is you can see why they and some of their more senior players amongst others have had issues and why BJ needs to stay away from the sub culture and temptations back home in NZ. Fine line to cross over.
That the sixers need to get a grip on the reffing issues and move past it even if it is
obviously dodgy. NZ are the new Perth in that department. Having said that power to NZ for exploiting it and they were hot shots which was the to their advantage when sixers were flat. That can change and sixers get hot.
That despite being and in incredible coach Joey can have off nights too.

That Mitch Creek is the electricity for the sixers and their most consistent and valuable player. He should be considered for most improved in the league.

Reply #517900 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This was the game all Sixers fans were worried about. We had a run of 10 wins and sometimes you need to drop one. Better to drop an unimportant game than one like this.

The Breakers played well and they obviously had a plan. Corey Webster's mum has re-arranged the mantle piece for the Most Improved Trophy. If he doesn't get it something is wrong. Shooting let the Sixers down and too many Sixers had bad nights. The rotations seemed out of whack as well with mismatches favouring NZ 3 to 2 or 4 to 1 at times.

I loved the Petrie-M. VUKONA scuffle. Nothing in it. The Sixers had been in NZ for a few days and it's obvious Peach was telling M. VUKONA how good the fishing was and was asking about his favourite spot. M VUKONA tried to whisper into Peach's ear because he knew Gibbo loves fishing, and then they fell over each other's feet and went down.

Sixers need to come back strongly in game 2 and should.

Reply #517901 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, it was about fishing, thanks Jack for clearing that up, I thought it was a new dance move for the next NBL TV Advert...

It was funnier in slow motion. Looked like they both just lost balance and wooooshka, next thing we know it's a scrum!

Reply #517906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prediction

If starting 5 is

Wilson Gibbo Motum Creek Peach they will lose

Like DJ Peach Creek Gibbo Teys to get the jump on breakers this time.

Don't want to see motum and wilson on together against NZ. any other team yes but not NZ

Reply #517908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoyed seeing DJ v Wesley - good to see him showing some grunt and passion as well and jumped straight in to the boat for the fushing expedition and told Wesley there was no room for hem on the boat...

Reply #517909 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I got to 3/4 time and then turned it off. We truely were exposed for exactly what we are. A talented offensive team that lacks any commitment to the defensive fundamentals and shows absolutely no desire to do the 'dirty work' and the 'hard stuff' that is required to win play off games. I was so pissed at the performance we served up tonight.

On another the note. Why the hell did Joey go to a zone when the Breakers were shooting lights out from the 3? Like, really?

Reply #517912 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

That's a paddlin

Reply #517916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

resting and seeing what they do ready to plan for saturdays game. even when they lifted they were not getting the calls so went to training mode

Reply #517919 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Better to drop an unimportant game than one like this."

Jack, I'm not sure I would call Game 1 of semi final an unimportant game ;)

Reply #517921 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

SF1 is an important game, an un-important game would be a minor round game.

Bear, can you imagine a fishing trip with Peach, M VUKONA, Flophage and even Larry Davidson. Throw Wortho into the mix too, someone needs to fetch the beers.

Reply #517926 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You best believe that's a paddlin.

Reply #517927 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

I have put a call in to Beyond Blue for you Jack just in case NZ beat Adelaide in Adelaide.

Reply #517933 | Report this post

stevo  
Years ago

ok, so 6er's were simply outplayed with hustle and streaky shooting, BUT in this and most home games, the touchy fouls always go to the home team. I get that to a certain extent, but is the home court reffing advantage equal or more decisive in any other sport than basketball? Like, last year's GF game 3 which wasn't really a game, and many other games (especially finals) you are really dealing with a 10-15 point advantage. This doesn't happen as much in AFL does it? So finishing in top 2 spots, basically guarantees you a GF berth, unless the wheels fall off along the way. Help me out here guys...

Reply #517935 | Report this post

Dave W  
Years ago

Felt I had to respond to anonymous.
"That the sixers need to get a grip on the reffing issues and move past it even if it is
obviously dodgy."
When you lose by 30 points there isn't much to be gained by blaming the refs. I thought it was a bit dodgy too. I thought Abercrombie was harshly treated on a charge and a blocked shot.

"That the young bucks in NZ have attitude and hustle but the flip side is you can see why they and some of their more senior players amongst others have had issues and why BJ needs to stay away from the sub culture and temptations back home in NZ. Fine line to cross over."
What does that mean and where does that even come from?
Which of NZ's senior players have had "issues"?
I saw a Breakers team play well and an Adelaide team fail to front - where do the issues come from?

Reply #517937 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I think 28 out of the past 29 3 game series have been won by the home team and I am sure a lot (maybe a little bit) has got to do with the home cooking. Refs feel the pressure too.

Reply #517938 | Report this post

stevo  
Years ago

Thanks Uwe, I agree. But they don't seem to feel as much pressure in front of 90000 fans at the MCG. I mean, do Collingwood get that much advantage when they play at home say, against the Eagles?

Reply #517939 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Perhaps the intimacy of the basketball venues makes a difference? Not sure, just throwing an idea out.

Reply #517940 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Dave W - know your players, their history and you will know where I am coming from and read up on behavioural traits in sport. Some have already left as they were on that fine line and needed to get away and now rebuilding their careers and lives on and off court. No excuses made for the sixers but the refs were definitely inconsistent and that impacted on the sixes who were already in struggle town. No excuses just a factor but you chose to pull out individual statements and "highlight them in isolation" suggesting they are excuses, but that is not the case.

Reply #517951 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

By finishing 2cnd NZ earnt the home court advantage & everything that comes with it, suck it up

Reply #517953 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

Stevo couldn't agree more, this is why we need to bring in OS refs for finals series that can be impartial and have no prior conceptions of players. What was with Vukona winking at the ref a few times after the Peach hugathon !!

Reply #517954 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Haha it was the refs fault Adelaide got belted by 30, cry me a river

Reply #517955 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Didn't they read the memo about the win streak?

Reply #517956 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Maybe the Sixers should have played some D & rebounded

Reply #517957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All 3 refs were Australian. No NZ refs on the game.

Reply #517959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffing is never as bad as what devoted fans think - it's human nature. As a neutral observer I thought there were plenty of mistakes, but not significantly more for either side. Sure there's often a bit of home cooking, but from that game, I wouldn't think it meant more than a couple of baskets worth - not 30 points worth!

Reply #517960 | Report this post

Anony  
Years ago

again MYSTRO no one has said that is why they lost, just an observation as a contributing factor tot he mindset of the 36ers which would be the same for any team in that position which is why it was mentioned that hey need to work with it and not let it affect them as it seems to be a problem for them. What is wrong with that observation, it is actually a negative towards the 36ers but you can not see past the word ref. Such vindictiveness and kicking the boots in just because you can.. Seriously thinking it is hilarious shows your mentality.

No one has said the refs were bias or NZ refs either and again out of context, it works both sides of the fence so about fairness for everyone and home court should never come in to it in any sport at any level apart from the the crowd and knowing the court and travel issues. But then you will continue to make the comments you make based on a couple of words pulled out.

Reply #517963 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

NZL 2015 champions I think so.

Reply #517970 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

im sorry you only choose to see and read what you like Anony, you seemed to think the refereeing was impartial and I laughed at you and the margin your team lost by because blaming refs for losing is weak sauce and you've got it all over your shirt.

Reply #517972 | Report this post

Dave W  
Years ago

Still not sure how you could see from that game that the NZ players have had issues. Which part of the game showed that - playing hard defense, winning by 30, diving on loose balls, Vukona and Wesley not taking a backward step, Petrie putting Vukona in a headlock?
I am aware of the trouble some of the younger members of the team have had and what they have done and are doing to put that right, and of how they have been supported in this by the team and management. I am also aware of two players who had problems and were let go by the Breakers. I am delighted they are doing well elsewhere.
I also think actually raising it and criticising a team culture you know nothing about is disrespectful. Adelaide were trounced by a better more focussed team on the night, just as Adelaide were the better team last time they met.
Who knows what will happen on Saturday? That's why its a great game.

Reply #517973 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"SF1 is an important game, an un-important game would be a minor round game."

Sorry Jack I totally mis-read what your original statement said. I thought you were saying SF1 was unimportant. :P

Reply #517976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You know why Vukona and co were smirking most of the game? Because they were winning by 20+ points. Adelaide might've been lucky that Motum wasn't out there at a few points as he is likely to be as hotheaded as any of the 36ers.

Reply #517979 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Only 1 game. 36ers can still level the series and seek revenge in a 3rd game in NZ.

I'd suggest Motum missing the Hawks game and training kind of upset their rythm? They'll be better and more prepared after last nights shambles.

Reply #517981 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agreed, it's only 1 of 3 and Adelaide have more than enough talent to turn things around especially with the next game at home.
What ever Dean Vickerman had the boys do before this one, please do it again.

Reply #517985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know it doesn't explain getting smoked by 30 and the series being all but over but I found it odd the 36ers never came back home from the Wollongong game on Sunday. I read they stayed in Wollongong training until Tuesday and then left for Auckland.

I would've thought a few of the guys would've been itching to get back home for a break and see friends & family.

Reply #517987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers got smoked, can't blame it on the refs, especially since there were only 4k at vector, so crowd not that intimidating, on another issue breakers couldn't sell tickets, might be reason to have a week off between last round and semis to give teams more time to sell a decent amount of seats, lowest crowd ever at vector

Reply #517998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakers got to adelaide earlier as they fly with air nz, rest of the league fly virgin, air nz fly direct from auk-adl, virgin may not or availability an issue therefore breakers got to adl faster nonstop

Reply #517999 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yes Anon is correct, the Breakers have partnered with Air New Zealand who upgrade as many players as possible to first class to makes things a lot more comfortable for the Ibekwe's & Pledgers of this world.

Reply #518006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Virgin don't fly direct Akl- Adl, no money in it as they have an agreement with Air NZ, who do the direct service.

Reply #518024 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Have some confidence guys. I thought our season was over after the first home game against Melbourne. We rose from the ashes since and then went on to win 10 consecutive games including a win in New Zealand. New Zealand wont be able to repeat last night's performance. They only won 2 of their last 6 games of the regular season so the odds are stacked against them repeating last night's performance. At the same time, Joey won't put up with another performance from his team like last night's.

Reply #518062 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

This is why 6's fans needed to have more moderate expectations headed into the finals, instead of the "we're the form team, we're gonna sweep the finals." As we tried to point out, streaks are meaningless at this time. NZ is a very experienced finals unit, whereas the Adelaide team that made the GF last year was quite different. Plus their defensive shortcomings wer exploited last night.

The 6's are still in it, I would expect them to bounce back with a win at home, and the 3rd game will
be massive.

Reply #518064 | Report this post

Told you Sixers choke!

Reply #518216 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754