Anonymous
Years ago

Forestville won't release Premier League player

Very disappointing to see that Forestville will not release a premier league player to a new club of her choosing so she can continue her basketball career

considering the rules that are in place are there largely due to that clubs previous actions

The player now would rather not play, sit a season out as opposed to play at the club that in the past has had her best wishes at hand

a lot of the camp of the women's program were not happy last year, and that may carry through this year.

boycott woolacott
pre season tournament? why bother?
at least 3 players leaving

maybe its something in the water? maybe it will all come out in the wash.

Topic #36629 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For the future, note that "It will all come out in the wash" is not a good thread title. People should be able to tell, as best as they can, what your topic is about before deciding whether or not to read it. It could relate to any number of things, including tissues in your pocket.

Reply #519144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After a club has cleared two players that were registered to play in the Premier League (formerly Central ABL) last season to other club(s) in the Premier League, all other players that were registered to play for that club last season are ineligible to play in the Premier League for any other club next season unless that club gives approval for them to do so via an email to Basketball SA.

Pretty clear

Reply #519153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boycott woolacott was because you lot didn't think it was going to be enough time to get plastered so you went and got plastered elsewhere!

3 players leaving, only one worth keeping, and that's the reason they haven't cleared her

Reply #519155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why force a player to stay if they don't want to play for you? Hardly going to get the best out of them in that situation.

Reply #519160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA is murdering girls/womens basketball in this state, U23 comp is going to be a total joke this year, many clubs will loose their pathways, not good, enough BSA.

Reply #519165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps southern should have thought about which players it wanted and got them cleared before getting family members over, obviously desperate for talent now after their massive 19 point pouting against norwood

Reply #519166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not involved at either club but find it shameful for want of a better word, that Eagles won't release Fergus as said before if she doesn't wish to stay it will be untenable for all concerned and IMO she should be able to go, and go with good wishes not sour relations and a career that has brought both club and player rich rewards.

Reply #519169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not involved of course your not

Reply #519182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By-Law has been around for a long time. Southern and other Clubs have had plenty of time to ask for changes and this season BSA asked for feedback.

No point complaining about a By-Law now just because you're on the wrong end of it.

Reply #519191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easier to get on here and have a cry than read the by laws

Reply #519193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

169 was my post and no I am not with either club I live way north in red and white terrority and southern would have to be the furthest to where I live. Never played, coached for forestville but I have been involved in basketball for nearly 30 years and I still think it is a shame. Plus I think it is a shame when on here anytime someone comments they are automatically involved or work for BSA some of you lot are paranoid.

Reply #519194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted at the request of Andrew Simons.)

Reply #519204 | Report this post

Ariel77  
Years ago

Reply #519234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame, shame, shame.

After everything she has done for that club at the senior level. The flags, the captaincy, the right thing is to let her go.

No wonder the entire Basketball community hates you Forestville.

Reply #519257 | Report this post

It is pretty sad that Forrestville would rather force Jesse to play div 2 than premier League out of spite and cause the premier league by-laws say you can. Not a very nice way to repay someone who has done so much for you. #letjessplay

Forrestville should give approval and be the bigger "person"

Reply #519288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee, how petty and spiteful Forestville look by these actions. This is a minor state league comp, and while winning is nice it is hardly end-of-the-world stuff.
Having said that, it is a DISGRACE that there are by-laws in place that actually allow this to happen. Unless someone is under contract with that club, they should be able to move as they wish. Yet another notch in the "BSA is inept" belt...

Reply #519295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a very old rule and Clubs (including Southern) haven't had it changed. Blame BSA all you want but if the Clubs wanted the rule gone it would be.

Reply #519296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the rule that is the focus of this. It's Forestville's insistence in forcing a player to stay when they obviously do not wish to. A player who I am sure is not getting paid much, if at all, has provided great service to the club and plays more for the love of the game. Why destroy that?
Great way to look after people Forestville. You are a disgrace.

Reply #519299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are just following the By-Law.

Reply #519300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they are being vindictive.

Reply #519302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By following a By-Law.

Reply #519305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville is not the winner here - maybe following a by-law but look petty and vindictive.
Laughing stock when they did the whole apple eating Carla Borrego incident now this, may apply the by law or apply the loop in the by law. Shows the coach and the club up as being inflexible and all about winning. whilst winning is the ultimate point of the game the way they are going about this doesn't win them any kudos. #letjessplay

Reply #519310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what's the solution?

We should ignore the By Laws and use Hoops as the moral compass for how the game should be played and managed?

Agree or disagree with the rules, the game is played under FIBA Rules and BSA By-Laws.

Reply #519315 | Report this post

Fleagle Act  
Years ago

The By-Law States Forrestville can clear her to play Premier League they just chose not to. It's a stupid By-Law which a club requested introduced afaik years ago after a mass exodus? Yes the clubs can Veto it but BSA must approve the change.

Forrestville cleared her with restriction. Why? sour grapes, using a By-Law as a scape goat! read the By-Laws and Eagles can allow her to be cleared to play.

Just send the email to June allowing Jess to play and problem solved #letjessplay

Reply #519320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can guarantee all the #letjessplay posts are from southern people just have a look at the facebook page #tigernation #presidentlovesit #keepingitinthefamily #readthebylaws

Reply #519333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern didn't start the #LetJessPlay hashtag.

Reply #519334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Said before will say it again, I have NO, not one iota of affiliation with either Forestville or southern I just believe this is so morally wrong of Forestville but then they were morally wrong with Borrego too. I just think that they should #letjessplay

Reply #519336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am struggling to find any such posts on the Southern Tigers Facebook page. What 'family' are you referring too? The fact of the matter is jess wants to move to southern. No longer does she want to stay at forestville. It is about her wanting to play the sport she loves and forestville doing whatever in their power to keep her from that. How disgusting.

Reply #519344 | Report this post

Actually  
Years ago

I think you will find Jess has been cleared to Southern.

Southern were well aware of the By-Laws before having the two sisters cleared. They new once these clearances were completed, Jess was not able to be cleared for ABA.

All clubs know this by-law exists...

They banked on BSA providing an exception, which hasn't transpired to date, so now Forestville are the villan...?

Perhaps Southern should have thought carefully who they wanted to recruit as a priority.

My understanding is Jess can actually play with any club at ABA level except for Southern, based on the By-Laws, so to say she can not play is not accurate.

Anyone wondered why its taken this long to come out..Perhaps Southern have exhausted all back door avenues and public appeal is the last resort !

Reply #519350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think why this is actually out is because Jess was in attendance of all Southern games at the pre-season tournament, yet wasn't playing. People then got curious.
That would make sense.

Reply #519352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TO: Actually

The original person who started this didn't say she COULDN'T play premier league... they said she's not getting released "to a new club of her choosing". HER choosing.

Jess might have good reasons of why she doesn't choose to play at Forestville anymore and reasons of why she has chosen Southern over the other clubs to then not wish to play anywhere else.

I'm curious why she is so hell bent on Southern... or if she is thinking of going somewhere else?

Reply #519356 | Report this post

yep.. actually  
Years ago

Then why not let her play aba? If she has been cleared to southern? What is the point of not allowing her to play? There isn't one other then forestville being spiteful. Who cares that the other players are sisters! What kind of comment is that. I am sure any aba team would be more than happy to have the interest of any quality players joining their team. Why prioritise? Ah well guess we will await the outcome.

Reply #519357 | Report this post

Actually  
Years ago

Unfortunately the By-Laws don't allow for her to choose that club.

If the By-Laws allowed you a choice, clubs may choose to have 3 imports.

The reason they don't, is because the By-Laws don't allow them to, so they don't make that choice...

Reply #519359 | Report this post

Actually  
Years ago

The reason is because once requested, a clearance must be granted based on the By-Laws..Nothing to do with Spite, just the rules of the competition as I read it..

Sisters have nothing to do with it, the point is if you read the By-Law that 2 players had already been cleared to the one club..

BSA actually prioritise based on the order the request are received...

Have a read, its all pretty clear in the By-Laws...

Reply #519361 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

BSA also have a by-law that states that junior players can't move mid season. But they themselves have broken this by-law numerous times despite numerous clubs not wanting it to happen.

Just another highlight of Forestville having all the say at BSA level.

Reply #519370 | Report this post

Not Really  
Years ago

"Really!!!",

while your post is off-topic, I'll bite:

I know that Forestville did just the opposite last year by allowing an u14 junior to move clubs mid-winter season.

Unless you can substantiate your claim (which we both know you can't), any sensible person will assume you're talking out of your ass.

Just another highlight of a very sad keyboard warrior.

Reply #519379 | Report this post

Actually  
Years ago

The Competitions committee actually rule on requests like junior players moving mid season.

This committee is made up from club reps, so its the clubs as a collective making the exceptions or not making them, not BSA or Forestville...

Reply #519380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds to me like a complete stuff up on southerns behalf, perhaps the coach should have got the players she wanted cleared before the family members were! The by-law has been around forever and if a club lost 8 players to another club there would be a post on here saying why isn't there a by-law stopping it from happening.

My opinion is let her play from what I saw on the weekend southern won't beat anyone anyway

Reply #519381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

b) After a club has cleared two players that were registered to play in the
Premier League (formerly Central ABL) last season to other club(s) in the
Premier League, all other players that were registered to play for that club
last season are ineligible to play in the Premier League for any other club
next season unless that club gives approval for them to do so via an email
to Basketball SA.

Above is the law and it's quite clear. The pertinent part is this - 'unless that club gives approval for them to do so via an email
to Basketball SA.'
There is no LAW preventing her from playing if Forestville choose to let her play. They are not, which is vindictive.

Reply #519384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not vindictive, why, if they have released two players already, would they clear one of their best players? The players know the rules also, if she wanted to go she should have got a clearance in earlier.

Reply #519385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually the Competition is not made up of Club Delegates.

Not that anyone knows who is on the Competition Committee currently.

Reply #519386 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

Not really,

If your gonna bite, get your facts straight. The play in question was not cleared by Forestville but by the competitions committee, to which Forestville protested that she shouldn't be allowed to move.

My post highlights that BSA itself can clear the player to Southern despite the by-law, on compassionate grounds.

Reply #519390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Forestville do this regularly then?

Reply #519395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why come on here and fight your battle, decisions made time to move on

Reply #519398 | Report this post

Read the By-Laws don't presume.

It clearly states if a club clears 2 players to club a) it does not have to clear a 3rd player. it doesn't specify club a or any other club. It doesn't have to approve more than 2 clearances per season - Unless club approves to do so. Interpretation is the issue with bylaws again have a read you may read into it differently again.

As usual bylaws are like the in laws that become outlaws, great while you have to put up with them annoying after separation.

Simple facts are Forrestville can approve Jess to play Premier League, they cleared her with provisions to play D2 only.

Check facts it's not the Bylaw with holding its the way its used or worded. I wonder if any other league has this kind of crap or follows FIBA standard "Clear" rulings.

Oh and for the Muppet with the import comment "Sigh" Jess ain't no import your logic = Fail.

Reply #519404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am still trying to find the import comment

Reply #519411 | Report this post

tragic  
Years ago

About five seasons ago two girls left Forestville for Woodville, a third wished to also move there but was told by Forestville they would clear her to any other club other than Woodville, she took up the option and moved but was disappointed that after playing all her junior years their she was not cleared to her team of choice.

Reply #519412 | Report this post

Not Really  
Years ago

Really!!!, my facts are straight as an arrow regarding the u14 player:

The competitions committee requested Forestville's approval, and the club obliged... There were no compassionate grounds as all the club had done was not guarantee the player's position in div 1. The coach and club management were disappointed, but moved on.

Jess has no more grounds for a compassionate exemption: it's a (semi) professional competition and Forestville are operating within the by-laws. Live with it.

Reply #519415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #519416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and a further note, BSA would allow Jess to play regardless of the bylaw as long as Forestville approve.
And that is just the facts, because the governing body of the sport would never be allowed to stop a player from playing at the highest level they can compete at.
In response to junior mid season transfers being approved... The clubs that do the right thing don't raise issues and clear kids unconditionally, and if they don't BSA has stepped in and forced the transfer because "it is not in the best interest of the sports development to not allow player participation for any reason"

Reply #519418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Restraint of trade?

Not worth the coin, but...

Reply #519431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No trade if not getting paid

Reply #519432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To those stating that Forestville aren't clearing Jess because they view her as their best player obviously have no insight into the hardship and turmoil that she had to endure last year. As the captain of a team and multiple championship winner you would think that she'd earned a level of respect from both her coach and teammates, but for her to be told 'Don't worry about talking to the younger girls, they don't listen to you anyway' by a coach is despicable and is the perfect display of why she wants to leave.

Are Southern a title threat at the moment? Will the introduction of Jess Fergus skyrocket them to favourites? In the end of a day it is a sport, one that most people in the league do for pure enjoyment rather than a pay packet that obligates them to stick to a club for reasons more than just loyalty.

Finally, if you're able to sit behind a keyboard and mutter out a 'the by-laws state it so move on' I feel like you should maybe hear Jess' side of the story and imagine if an organisation tried to take away the one thing that you've truly loved your whole life, endured two knee reconstructions and countless other injuries to come back and compete at an elite level of South Australian Basketball because of they can take advantage of the rule. Have a conscience and support the fight for a woman to enjoy her last years of Basketball surrounded by people who support her.

Reply #519452 | Report this post

Morals  
Years ago

What a shame for all involved. To stop a senior player imparting her years of experience to a group of younger players, (who do actually want to listen to her) is incomprehensible. To hide behind a bylaw to do it is morally pathetic. No one is questioning the existence of the law, but to enforce it in a circumstance where the player is at the end of her career and wants to see out her final season (2 if lucky) with people who value her commitment and hard work is simply wrong. As previously stated Jess has spilt more blood, sweat and tears on court for the Eagles than most of the current team put together. Basketball SA needs to look at what direction they wish to take that is promoting the sport in a positive light. To those of you who think "decision made, move on" try being told you can no longer do what you have loved and done since you were 4 years old because "there is a by law". Southern want Jess's experience, forrestville dont. Southern are trying to build a programme for the future, they are looking forward and knew there would be an issue with Jess but thought she was worth the fight with what she could bring to a battling player group. Let her play the game she has always loved, where she wants to play, with people who respect her.

Reply #519462 | Report this post

Bi -Laws  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed at the request of Andrew Simons.)

Reply #519470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't be entertaining southern lost to the state under 18 team by 40 points

Reply #519471 | Report this post

Bi-Laws  
Years ago

Then release her to play Premier League to help strengthen them then so the league doesn't become a joke, who wants to see teams flog another team week in and week out! even the comp up and make it entertaining or do all the Sturt / Eagles people want to bring pro/rel into this and watch themselves play against each other every week

Reply #519473 | Report this post

Actually  
Years ago

All we have heard is Jess's side of the story being happily bandied about..

Thats why there is some emotion around this because there is only one side of the story being made public...

Always 2 sides to every story....

Reply #519476 | Report this post

Dad  
Years ago

It is unfortunate for all concerned this has come out as I know Jess was trying to negotiate privately .her relations with forrestville are under threat where her and the club achieved great success the time has come for both to move on and hopefully both with success. being coached by the same coach for nine of her ten years and the way the women's team is heading she realised she had given all she could to their program. Her move to southern under a new coach is a chance to see if she could achieve any thing else before retirement to learn and give back to the sport that has been her life . I would hate to see this petty situation ruin relationships that have been built over her playing career at Forrestville the personal attacks on the individual s and a 15 year old that has nothing to do with this situation will not help the situation. I believe that after 10 years of loyalty that she should be cleared with forrestville only missing the next couple of playing years , but retaining the love she has for the club for years to come.

Reply #519477 | Report this post

Always 2 Sides  
Years ago

@Actually

Do explain what could Forestville possibly justify this with?

Yes its unfortunate that they have lost 3 players to transfer requests, should they be bitter? who knows, when they hold the power to say yes let her play or no she can only play x and chose to do the later I think they have dropped the ball.

Reply #519497 | Report this post

Morals  
Years ago

Actually, Forestville have chosen to evoke a by-law to stop Jess playing Div 1.
WHY? There is always 2 sides to the story, you are correct. So lets hear why the Eagles are choosing to suddenly play by the rules. The by-law is only an issue when the club makes it one, which Forestville have. WHY? They are not losing an upcoming star of the future. She has surely done enough at the club to have earned some respect. So WHY evoke it when they could have just let her go. What point are they trying to make?

Reply #519498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #519501 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

The reason why is because they can, and to make it clear to any of their up coming superstars that at the end of the day they have the power, this isn't all the Eagles fault, southern knew certain players from the Eagles wanted to come, should have chosen the two that they really wanted and not all three

Reply #519506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern didn't lose to the state team by 40
They lost the first game by 20 and won the second?!

Reply #519512 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed at the request of Andrew Simons.)

Reply #519521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #519522 | Report this post

bemused  
Years ago

I don't know of any sport where a team can clear a div 1 player on condition they can only play div 2 for a year on the eve of a new of a new so called premier league. A league that allows a team to demote a player to transfer to another club .
Where are the cameras ?????????????
BASA VERSION OF YOUVE BEEN PUNKED!!!!
WHAT A JOKE

Reply #519523 | Report this post

Ideas man  
Years ago

Easy fix to this problem, clearance fee, 2 free ones then 1000 bucks per player after, so in this case the tigers get the sisters for free but have to pay a grand for jess and this money comes out of the "salary cap"

Reply #519532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Age rule only brought in at this age in 2010. At that time ALL other states worked on a case by case situation, not a blanket rule.
This rule also means if you are 14 and turn 15 at the end of the year, but get invited ti Aus Camp, you can play.

Reply #519533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No its doesn't. You need to be selected in an Australian team senior or junior. Oz camps don't mean anything.

Reply #519534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ideas Man, you seriously think all club work to the salary cap or do not have work arounds so that they can say "We don't breach that"

Reply #519535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ariel77

"Why do people coach their own kids? Does it really help them?"

Although he might be "the exception and not the rule", I suspect Andrew Gaze might have something to say about this!

Reply #519541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Although he might be "the exception and not the rule", I suspect Andrew Gaze might have something to say about this!"

I suspect Kristi Harrower would also have something to say about this.

Reply #519544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people coach their own kids? To select their own kid when they don't deserve to make the team. To structure the whole program around the development of their own kid? To play them out of position to focus on their development? To favour them with court time? To push them forward with state selection?

Not saying that happened in this case, just reasons I have seen from a father who has coached my daughter here too may times in VIC.

Reply #519549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over the sisters! Technically one shouldn't even count as she hardly played a minute at Forestville anyway.

Reply #519552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone provide a reasonas to why Forestville ate choosingto not allow Jess to play?

We are know they can choose to due to a byaw. But why would they want too?

Reply #519553 | Report this post

Minutes  
Years ago

Minutes played has no bearing, just if you are a registered player...

Reply #519554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oz Camp are the first squads selected in a players development. The rules say selection in squad.

Reply #519558 | Report this post

Bi-Laws  
Years ago

All these people all these rules
If you people truly love the sport you would let her play Premier League! The sport itself is surely bigger than an individual or a club!

It Should be the GAME OF BASKETBALL that wins out in the end not egos

" Play the game not the politics "

Reply #519563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would still like someone to provide us with a reason for the Forestville position. Considering they have the option of clearing Jess.

Reply #519585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? Why does anyone at Forestville need to explain themselves to the keyboard warriors on this forum? Or anyone for that matter?

Reply #519590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't have too. But people keep saying that there is another side to the story.

I can't see any possible reason other than spite.

Reply #519595 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Sportsmanship, Respect, Fair Play, unfortunately none of these can be used to describe the club that Forestville has become, this is evidenced by their behaviour in all age groups from U10 to Seniors. It is not uncommon for an U10 Eagles team to absolutely humiliate an opposition team, spectators and coaches alike cheering with great enthusiasm to defeat a team by 100 points, what a great ambassador for girls basketball you are not! From one end of the spectrum to the other, we then have the Borrego debacle. BSA allow this club to exploit every possible loophole to 'win at all costs' and it is time BSA grew some as they have the ability to override ByLaws when and if it suits and they have done so before. There is the phrase "bringing the game into disrepute" and the Eagles should be held accountable for their bad behaviour. We do not have an abundance of female basketball role models and for Forestville to deliberately force out a player of such experience is simply disgusting.

Reply #519649 | Report this post

Ideas man  
Years ago

Instead of posting on here everyone email their thoughts to

[email protected]

Flood him with complaints and he will have to do something, if nothing happens then you know he doesn't give a shizen or that there is only a few people on here making a lot of noise

Reply #519663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why Mark, Sarah Fry is the Competition Manager and it is her problem not Mark's

Reply #519664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ball so to speak is in Forestville,s court. It is up to them to aye or nay. The by-law is very black and white. I think you all should be emailing Forestville as in this case they hold the power. Fill up their in box. Just a though

Reply #519668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We do not have an abundance of female basketball role models and for Forestville to deliberately force out a player of such experience is simply disgusting.

Define Role Model??

Lots of role models in the game of basketball who play/coach in lots of clubs I would have thought?? Or get on commitee's and the like??

Reply #519739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems Forestville will throw out all morals and sportsmanship to enforce a by-law on one hand, then whine about a by-law and want to get an exemtion from it on the other?

Reply #519745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ correct!

Reply #519750 | Report this post

freinds r freinds  
Years ago

unfortunate for former team mates and fans at Forestville as am sure they would like to see jess play where she wishes and would look forward to playing against her unfortunately decisions are made by only a few and they are caught in the middle of this crap

Reply #519757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clause 1.3.e of the Premier League By-laws:

"Competition Management is empowered by this clause to make any discretionary ruling in the best interests of the competition, not withstanding that such ruling may be in contravention of any rule or regulation contained in the Premier League By-Laws, the SA District By-Laws or the FIBA Rules of Basketball."

Reply #519797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Power can do funny things to people but they usually crash and burn in the end. Denying a person to play the sport they love in the twilight of their career is just plain pathetic.

Reply #519939 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

This thread has probably gone on long enough and has turned into a Forestville bashing session.

We're talking about one athlete, with a thread obviously posted by a party close to the matter and with an agenda.

Probz time to take this all offline and file consideration for an exemption with BSA, or deal with it.

Reply #519941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread will probably stop at any point where Forestville chooses to do the right thing and make a clearance final and avoid losing their moral identity.

Reply #519955 | Report this post

What's the point?  
Years ago

Question is what's the point in stoping her playing? Forestville chose to impose the restriction when they didn't have to. Club bashing it's not it hasn't deviated but if they don't like the heat do the right thing and let Jess play!

Reply #520154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Forestville "bashing" because Forestville are doing a disgraceful petty thing!

Reply #520161 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Just another example of what a disgraceful club Forestville are.
For people on here to use the old "it's in the By-Laws" comment is a cop out. Yes it is a By-Law to stop clubs poaching players but when I club legend and a player who is a multiple championship player wants to leave then let her go. She doesn't owe your club anything at all, you owe her the respect to let her go and continue to play the game she loves and which she did so successfully at your club for 10 years.
Don't play the "By-Law" card, that's a load of bullshit.
The only reason she should be not cleared is if she owes money or something.
Other than that you are simply proving to everyone what we already knew, that your club is run by two people who have ego's that is bigger than the club.
I seriously hope you lose more than just one player from this as you have clearly already lost everyone's respect.

Reply #520251 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

There is another player that they have refused to release, very similar situation to Jess and all she wants to do is play

Reply #520253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #520255 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Just an aside : Andrew gaze was never coached in Club Juniors by his dad. Keith Watson coached the tiger juniors back then.

Reply #520258 | Report this post

Even older  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze was coached by his dad in the National Team whilst still a junior..

Reply #520263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very well said Panther wholeheartedly agree.

Reply #520264 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

The reason Forestville are using the by-law is because of the rumors of a number of unhappy players. If they allow one to go, 4 or 5 might follow.

Reply #520265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bylaw 3.4(c)

After a club ("first club") has cleared one player that was registered to play in the Premier League last season to another club (“second club”) in the Premier League, all other players that were registered for the first club last
season are ineligible to play in the Premier League for the second club next season unless the first club gives approval for them to do so via an email to Basketball SA.

Reply #520278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clause 1.3.e of the Premier League By-laws:

"Competition Management is empowered by this clause to make any discretionary ruling in the best interests of the competition, not withstanding that such ruling may be in contravention of any rule or regulation contained in the Premier League By-Laws, the SA District By-Laws or the FIBA Rules of Basketball."

Reply #520282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther32 in your words the by law is in place to stop clubs poaching players. Would you consider potentially 3 of the eagles 2014 players suiting for Tigers this season as poaching?

Reply #520283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep hiding behind the rules Forestville. Simple fact is if you agree to let her play then she can.
You're not purely out of spite and afraid of what she will do against you on the court. Way to look after a veteran who has provided you with so much service.

Reply #520284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow that's funny I clearly remember playing Andrew Gaze as a Junior in Melbourne and his father was coach of the team.

Reply #520285 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

To be honest a lot of players leave for a number of reasons, one being they have been asked by another club. Others may be that the player is unhappy at the club or doesn't like the coach.
Sometimes it's just opportunity.
In every case there is a reason, hence why it is at the discretion of the club unless the governing body overall it.
You would think given the current situation and who the player is common sense would prevail.
I really don't think this is a case of poaching.
What do you gain to benefit from holding Jess out for a season?
A stalwart of your club, a multi championship player.
Considering you don't have a contract and i'm guessing aren't paying her big bucks, what is the point?
Do you realise you are doing more to tarnish your club than anything else.
I'm actually dumbfounded that the board or President allows for this to go on.

Reply #520288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hannah is related by marriage to Southern wasn't getting a load of minutes = her move to southern.

Tara, sister of Hannah joins her sister to play again understandable especially if all not happy at fleages.

Jess wanting to try something different. Move away from a coach who has coached her as far as she can go. Wanting to try something else somewhere new before marriage and babies or winning lotto who knows but she wants out. Yes Panther I am amazed that board and president is allowing this to go on.

Reply #520301 | Report this post

bender  
Years ago

Ummm, if she doesn't want to play for Forestville and can't play for southern then play for another club. Problem solved.

Reply #520362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm rule apply's if she goes to another club

Reply #520395 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

No I am almost certain the rule only applies to Southern. But why stop a player from going to her club of choice just because you are hoping she stays.
She doesn't want to play at Forestville, why would you!!!

Reply #520404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. The other player they won't clear wants to go to Norwood. Its 2 players total or the second to a club.

Reply #520415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seek a clearance to UniSA then ask for a clearance from there!!

Reply #520432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Panther, whilst your thoughts on the topic are 100% accurate, you have the rule not quite right. After two players have been cleared, they don't have to clear a third to ANY club. Hence the reason why MB cannot get cleared to Norwood either.
Disgraceful conduct by Forestville.

Reply #520493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irrespective of the rules all by-laws on this matter give the club the opportunity to do the right thing
Every bylaw relating to player movement has "unless the first club gives approval for them to do do via an email to Basketball SA"

Reply #520656 | Report this post

Legal Eagle  
Years ago

The Eagles have had enough time to demonstrate good will. BSA must now act and over rule in favour of what is good for the game and not allow this to carry on. Coincidentally the first round Tigers play the Eagles, If it were my decision I'd have emailed the comp committee to overrule weeks ago and handed it to lawyers to resolve by now. FIBA rules don't have this kind of rubbish in it and the bylaw is poorly written I think it's gone far enough.

Reply #520705 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I am seriously considering going out to that game just to heckle the Forestville coach.

Reply #520730 | Report this post

Clean Living  
Years ago

Reply #520735 | Report this post

Bi-Laws  
Years ago

It looks like Forestville new something that no one else did!!!!!!!
If they let Jess play they would have lost by more lol
Aint Karma a BITCH :)

Reply #521180 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

A genuine query. I have been part of the forestville club for a bit over a year and a half now and quite enjoy it.
If you swap the team names and Southern become Forestville and of course Forestville becomes Southern is this situation a problem or does it become HAHA sucked in Forestville?

Reply #521690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We just want young girls to love and stay in the sport.

Reply #521693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A majority of clubs would clear the player.

Reply #521706 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

I agree with being cleared to play I just cannot understand the hatred to Forestville on this site?

Reply #521718 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Forestville are considered the rich guys who win a lot

Reply #521722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason everyones journey if varied. What age group, gender and division is your chikd. that wi make the difference andif you have just joined and don't understand the entire organisation and how basketball work you will not understand. For example within the rule at state league level the womens over the past few years have brought in a netball import who plays for sa netball team and the seasons overlap. she does not play the season except seconds for the absolute minimum amount allowable within the rules to get her name eligable for finals. The when the netball season is finished she jumps in. Yes this is in the rules but pushes to limits and locks out juniors or other players from opportunities. other clubs push rules but this is extreme and not respected. Last year the Fv team did not make finals so do you think everyone well that wasn't worth it and what a waste of a development opportunity. Consider this for those girls trying to leave this year as part of their history and perhaps amongst other things a contributing factor. These are things new to a club or not exposed to do not understand. All clubs have issues but many comments are of value or substance but we all may not totally understand. This is a forum to discuss what people think and many seem to bot like these kinds of decisisions.

Reply #521724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wowee

Reply #521727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOt now able to sleep tonight.

Reply #521729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville.

Arrogance of Sturt. Results of Forestville.

Reply #521731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern have a history of not clearing players from their ABA squad or at least making it as difficult as possible. In fact they charge you $30 clearance fee for their juniors.

Maybe the karma bus has hit them.

Reply #521768 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Anon. 521768
Very interesting
Thanks for that.

Reply #521778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

then again heard that F/ville put up all their senior subs by 70% that is right 70%

Reply #521779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This seems to have gone from the fact that the player is still unable to suit up for the ABA team, I don't agree with continuously running Forrestville through the mud and arguing on what teams have done in the past. The forum was created to assist Jessica in her pursuit to participate in the sport she loves within the competition she has contributed too for the past 10 years. Karma may be biting Southern back but it shouldn't cost such a hard-working and passionate player her career.

Reply #521785 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Jess suited up in Women's Reserve for Tigers on Monday night and played very well. So she has been cleared but not to PL. So it's at least a start.
Surely there is an independent tribunal that could hear an appeal process.
Jess is agreat player and I can understand her need to move on and the Tigers will be very grateful for her inclusion into their PL tean...and I can completely understand Forrestville not wanting to let her go either. Both clubs are depleted.
However it could be considered an unfair restraint of trade. Its baskeball. Life is far too short for such pettiness. Every situation should be assessed on fairness and merit.

Reply #521792 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Nicely put, BB.

Reply #521817 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Reply #521855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Panther! The three self-centred people running the club are destroying the club reputation.

Reply #521870 | Report this post

Morals  
Years ago

I was at the game Saturday night and had to watch Jess watch. As hard as it must have been for her she carried herself with dignity and pride. The sad part of this whole sorry saga is that as the season progresses, teams win and lose and top spots are jostled for, Jess will still not be playing. Forestville, please be the bigger person and LET HER PLAY

Reply #521952 | Report this post

Surely someone can confirms if appeals or legal action under way???

Reply #521984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/forestville-stop-jess-fergus-from-joining-southern-tigers-top-side/story-fni9lkyu-1227274312324

Simons said the club's decision was "nothing personal".

“It’s unfortunate who the person is but it wouldn’t matter who it was,” Simons said.

Bull, so personal because she's being spiteful. And if Jess wanted to be cleared before the younger of the two sisters (who hardly even played a minute so it's no wonder she left), Sharon still wouldn't have let it happen because then she'd use the 'separate by-law stipulating two players from one team cannot transfer to another in the same off-season without the original club’s permission.'

Reply #522347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All in all, it is just petty and spiteful. Really poor conduct by Forestville, and disgraceful by BSA that they don't immediately void it - though it's no suprise they use thier usual "blame the clubs" copout!

Reply #522367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some lovely PR for Forestville.

Reply #522369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I were Forestville I'd be more concerned why everybody is jumping ship.

Reply #522370 | Report this post

Morals  
Years ago

I am surprised that Forestville is allowing their brand to be so badly damaged. Surely their sponsors are not pleased. You would think by now they would be trying to salvage some respect from the competition. Pity the full story will probably never be told.

Reply #522404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting in the article they claim they'd clear Fergus to another club just not Southern.

Yet they won't let another player go to Norwood either.

Reply #522409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the link #522347

This is going CRAZY on Social Media - does Forestville not realize Social Media can be the death of any business?

I guess we will see how many people are there by the end of it all.

Reply #522415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me-thinks people there must be a good reason as to why they are not clearing her to play. Two sides to every story. The Club in question has decided not to clear her, therefore there must be more to it. I think you will find the decision via the Club, means it is not maybe as cut and dry as people are making out.

Reply #522423 | Report this post

are you sure?  
Years ago

No the article clearly shows no Sharon didn't think it was reasonable. It's unreasonable to honor Jessica's request to be given the opportunity to try something new after all these years of service. If there was another side it would have come out. They cannot defend the indefensible.

Reply #522425 | Report this post

The rules  
Years ago

Forestville are playing by the rules like it or not, they released the sisters to southern therefore they don't have to clear anyone else, if southerns whinging president had been smart, instead of looking after his daughter in-law and her sister, perhaps talking with the coach and getting jess cleared as number 1 priority would have been the way to go, forestville would have had to clear her, they would have definitely cleared the fisher girl then probably her sister as well.

But instead of thinking about it, southern again has a president interested in family members before the club, and they jump on this site to complain, amatuer club that will go nowhere!

Reply #522436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has said they haven't. Just that their moral code is so poor that they are killing their own club from within through these types of decisions which are not in the best interest of basketball.

Reply #522438 | Report this post

The rules  
Years ago

Load of rubbish the majority of the club wouldn't have a clue what's happened

Reply #522440 | Report this post

The rules  
Years ago

Social media is going off, just checked #LetJessPlay, found three yes that's right three tweets!

Reply #522441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Rules

This is also social media.

Reply #522447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not clearing anyone else is playing by the rules (stupid rule, but the rule) - noone is disputing this. Just that it is morally bankrupt to prevent someone playing basketball in a state league for someone in particular - it was said in the article they would clear her to another club just not Southern. Why have they prevented the Norwood clearance as well then?

Reply #522454 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

"This is also social media."

It's not particularly 'social' when posting as avatars or anons: for all we know this thread is made up of <10 (nameless) people.

"Why have they prevented the Norwood clearance as well then?"

Who haven't they cleared to Norwood?

Reply #522458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monica Bello.

Reply #522464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #522465 | Report this post

The rules  
Years ago

I would suggest majority of the posts come from southern

Reply #522471 | Report this post

bemused  
Years ago

to THE RULES your obviously a "SIMONSVILLE " person rather thsn a Forestville person . After ten years at the club and 200 games this is the last thing she would have wanted to happen. As the friends and relationships she has at the club mean more to her than this crap . A t game one I had parents and spectators ask why she wasn't playing and they were disgusted after being told the situation . They hoped that she would be cleared for the next time the teams met ! that is the real Forestville people that a sporting club needs not playing by a BI.LAW.TO clear her to play div 2 is an insult to her and the div 2 competition . TO have one or two people dictate where and how an amateur plays and put the Forestville club through this media circus and in the paper will not help the club attract new junior and senior players I know and appreciate the time and effort the coaches have put into the the club but to have the power to stop a player that has given the club the service that jess has is disgusting and the board should be ashamed of how this has transpired.

Reply #522473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps not. I've no connection to Southern and speak to a lot of people in basketball yet I've heard NO support for Forestville's stance.

Reply #522474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My "perhaps not" referred to the post claiming Southern were the majority contributors. I agree that the club should be ashamed and complaining to the board.

Reply #522475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers should be ashamed of themselves for recruiting Jess knowing a by-law would prevent the transfer #bringbackleighscott

Reply #522480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The by-law is not preventing it. It allows Forestville to prevent it. Forestville chooses to prevent the transfer.

Reply #522482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps she made a promise to Sharon she wasn't going to leave then put in a clearance a week later, has happened before

Reply #522487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop buying Villi pies!!

Reply #522489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To #522847, in the Messenger article, Sharon, as a spokesperson for the club, said it didn't matter who she was, it wouldn't make a difference. The president backed Sharon's view.

Reply #522494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And so the president should, a good president hires a coach and then backs them in, Sharon's job is to get her team to win games, and the rules state she only has to clear two players, two players were cleared so the rest miss out, Sharon's number 1 priority isn't to help southern get better!

Reply #522500 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

OMG its amateur time people!!! This is not WNBL, this is not WNBA, at the end of the day, it is a piddly little state league with not much respect or interest, gosh wonder why?.

Yes we all agree Forestville are playing by the rules (as they always do!! pfft! bend it, shape it, whichever way you like it) as long as it suits Forestvilles purpose.

BUT in the interest of the sport, for the good of the sport, for the growth of the sport, good grief let an elite player play.

Again this just highlights Forestvilles blatant disrespect for all and sundry and personally IMHO it appears to be getting worse over the last few seasons.

As has been stated many times in previous posts, the bylaw is there, yes we know, but, Forestville have the option available to allow the player ( and in Simons own words, doesn't matter who the player is) to play the game.

Shame we can't ever see Forestville playing the game in the spirit it was intended.

Reply #522504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern were aware of the by law and knew Forestville's view 5 months ago. Why persist to recruit Jess? A strategy to use Hoops and The Messenger to discredit Forestville for using the by-law as it was intended after the season started. Talk about being disrespectful to a star of the game. Shameful. #bringbackleighscott

Reply #522506 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

so, in other words, you are saying Forestville also knew of the players intention 5 months ago?

Reply #522508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People what would happen if the by-law was removed and say simon Pritchard came back and coached Centrals and recruited his whole norwood team!

Reply #522509 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

I'm confused
Are Forestville the only club in the competition that knows / understands the rules of the competition? Did Southern not know the rules and by laws when they went for Jess?
I think we should get the rules changed every time something like this pops up. In fact, and depending on the club or the phase of the moon, we should have a vote on Hoops to see how the competition should rule upon anything that's outside the rules but morally should be changed. A referendum if you like. If the stating five from Norwood want to go to Woodville, and we the majority agree, then make it so.
I think Jess should be allowed to play, but I feel that there is a lot more to the story than has been disclosed.
Well done Forestville for sticking to your guns. Poor effort Southern for not knowing the rules of the competition but hoping Hoops will get it across the line. Well done to all the other clubs for not saying a thing.
Bring in free agency!

Reply #522511 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well, lets just say Forestville are the only club that knows/understands/rorts/and has the arrogance to exploit the rules of the competition to their own benefit, but immediately cry foul, or try to bend the rules to suit themselves when the opportunity presents

Reply #522512 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

This type of rule is fairly commonplace , it tests the resolve of the player, usually it works by the club simply showing that they don't have to clear them, so the player or the recruiter backs down.

If they don't - then they get told by the controlling body that the player can go and play - but they have to go and play in a lower grade for 12 months, so then the player and or recruiter backs down.

This is the only time in an "amateur" sport ( that tries to claim its highest local grade is "premier) where the player has actually gone and played in that lower grade , and neither the controlling body or the original club has not acceded to the demonstrated fact that the player is absolutely firm in moving.

I am in no way suggesting that the following is relevant in this case, but I do know of situations interstate where the clearance ( in contravention of hindering by-laws)was pursued all the way by the player, and was eventually granted, basically because the player or their parents, were seeking to remove themselves from situations that would best be described as "un-healthy" .

Reply #522513 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Re - :This is the only time -
"in my experience "- should have been added - sorry

Reply #522514 | Report this post

Forget the Clubs  
Years ago

Seriously reality check, it's a bylaw designed to stop mass exodus. Forestville cleared her it's that simple they couldn't keep her so they cleared her.

The wrong part about it all is they are usuing a by-law as justification to screw Jess over. A decade loyal player who has done so much for the club asks to be given the chance to try something new and is treated like crap in return.

At the end of the day when you remove the clubs from it and the he said she said it boils down to Jess not beaing able to play Premier League, she's not banned she simple has been shafted by Forestville who can allow her to play by giving the ok but chose to punish her, Jess, not Southern because they still have a team.

To Milan and Sharon, I cannot understand what you personally think is the benefits to your decision? At the end of the day your club loses out either way you cannot change that.

What you can change is the ability for Jess to continue playing Premier League and making Forestville and the competition look a bit better at the same time.

Reply #522516 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

if Forestville are the only team that's knows the rules well enough to exploit them, then the rest of us are a bunch of amateurs. I think we all need to toughen the F up a little bit, stop sooking about it and if the clubs think a rule needs to be changed, then change it. But I wonder why the rule was put there in the first place?

Reply #522519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This must be the only rule that Forestville haven't broken or tried to work around.

Reply #522520 | Report this post

Ariel  
Years ago

Then the Karma gods have seen to Jake Rios not being released to play Premier League from FIBA yet

This tweet sums it up " I think there should be a steroid Olympics. Who wouldn't want to see the athletes jump higher and run faster than they already do?

Reply #522523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two Sides people. Again, let's see the full story come out over time..

Reply #522531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So for the Forestville defenders, why has the clearance to Norwood been denied as well if it's all about Southern? Despite a quote in the paper saying they would release her to any other club.
If Forestville are so enamored with following the by-laws, why are they whining and agitating to get around the one regarding minimum age requirements of players?

Reply #522534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who wouldn't clear the player? Who's daughter wants to play in the Premier League? Are they the same person? Then that is your answer

Reply #522574 | Report this post

Confused  
Years ago

^ Um makes no sense? Ok #letjessplay

Reply #522587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is whining and agitating? I understand Forestville asked Basketball SA for consideration for two under 16 players to play in the Premier League, got knocked back and looks like moved on without fuss. I haven't seen any twitter account #LetTheU16GirlsPlay or an article in The Messenger.

Reply #522589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Forestvillie even ask for it to be considered - after all, rules are rules aren't they?
Or only the ones that suit them?

Reply #522595 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Reply #522604 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

And the worst thing about this is this could be Jess's final season, what a way to go out.
Way to go Shazza!

Reply #522606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #522607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #522631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duck Forestville...

Reply #522632 | Report this post

UnhappyMother  
Years ago

I'm so glad someone has put me onto this website.
I'm taking my children out of Forestville immediately. They seem to be too much drama and trouble to be a part of such a club..!!

They need to ask themselves, what if someone did this to my child?

Goodness me!

Reply #522639 | Report this post

Omg  
Years ago

Unhappy mother

You seriously need to get over yourself, if as you say you are at forestville, your going to punish your kids and not let them play for the rest of this season because if they have played 1 second this year they won't be getting a clearance either!

Reply #522689 | Report this post

UnhappyMother  
Years ago

Even if they are not playing Premier League?

Reply #522702 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Reply #522704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cracks starting to appear already Hoopster?

Reply #522737 | Report this post

Omg  
Years ago

Unhappy mother yes read the rules

Reply #522741 | Report this post

Omg  
Years ago

Hoopster by the looks of the results they won Saturday night!!

Reply #522744 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Reply #522751 | Report this post

flying the nest  
Years ago

I think I might pull my kids as well !!!!
This club was sold to me about family environment,success etc, but if this is what they do to loyal players and with some of the other unscrupulous things I have read that they have done, I think it is time to leave and i'll be letting other people know as well whom maybe unaware to what has been going on!!!!!

Reply #522752 | Report this post

Omg  
Years ago

Hoopster now you are just making sh1t up they have only played two games, lost 1 won 1

(Mod: Contravenes forum guidelines.)

Reply #522754 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

My apologies, I have no idea why I thought there had been three games. Second game was a win but still heard Sharon didn't rotate players very well. It's been a long week at work an I'll blame it on that.

Reply #522755 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

(Mod: Contravenes forum guidelines.)

Reply #522756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #522757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how players leave a club then come on here and sink the boot in to their ex coach

#therewillbehaters

Reply #522773 | Report this post

Bemused  
Years ago

For many years Forestvile has had a great bunch of women's players and the bond between them during there 3 peat championships , it was due to the players being able to adapt to the task at hand they all respected each other and played for each other. Even having Carla borrego come in late the team had to adjust there game around her and thus sacrifice their own game for the team . Since their last flag the team and its ethos has changed their is no respect that's evident last year when the captain was told not to talk to the younger players as they don't know or respect her. When the captain played her 200th game and it was left to the opposition coach to congratulate her in the presentations after the game . In the last game the captain was benched in the last minutes . I wonder why she contemplated retirement or a move to another club . Having a meeting with the club president at seasons end he indicated he was sorry to see her go but if she decided to play on he would clear her to the team of her choice . Then what happened? He knew she wouldn't be returning to forrestville . So why would a coach have a say as to where a player plays. When she has nothing to do with the current playing list .I thought a board made decisions with the club as a whole and the senior coach who would answer to the board and not control it . It seems to me that the forrestville basketball club needs a clear out and try gain some respect from the basketball community. Also if Jess won't get cleared to southern they should encourage her to go to another club to continue her career. As playing div 2 is a joke for a player of her ability and at this stage of her career.

Reply #522774 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

If you're referring to me I'm not an ex player. Never played for forestville and based on what I've heard about the club I'm not unhappy about that

Reply #522776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopster you have a guilty conscience or something?

Reply #522780 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed.)

Reply #522782 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It might be within the rules that Forestville can do this, but my advice is to think long term.

One day they will be a knock on the door at Wayville and.....

"Hello Forestville, my name is Karma, and I am a biatch!"

Reply #522805 | Report this post

Dayum  
Years ago

Oh me Oh my it's getting a bit petty her people.

What has happened to Jess is a shame, @Bemused I think has given a fair spotlight on Jess's possible reasoning for leaving, aside from the opportunity of being coached by a great coach in Tracy York. Jess by now would have started to bond and gel with the Tiger girls so why would she want to pick another club. She only moved based on the opportunity to be coached by Tracy is what I heard.

At Unhappy Mum - you can get your child cleared mid season rules say it can't be done but the comp committee can over ride it. If your child is going to quit if they can't get out and go to another club because they are truly unhappy. Request can be made to and granted by them to save a kid leaving the sport.

There are ways around this Forestville your name is still being dragged through the mud.

Reply #522817 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Unhappy mother.
This site is full oh hate towards forestville. I think if
the situation was reversed against forestville this site would be loving it.

Reply #522885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

213 posts!

The thread that keeps on giving ....

Reply #522886 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great news everyone!

Premier Weatherill has announced this will be turned into a feature film and made by the SA Film Corp.

The role of Jess will be placed by Elsa from Frozen.
Asher Kettie will be brought in for Tracey York with Kat Stewart playing the assistant.
No Australian film is complete without Jack Thompson, so he'll be on the Forestville board. Darth Vader can make a cameo.
The orcs from Lord of the Rings are still playing Sturt people, so they are unavailable, but Paul Fenech and his bogan hunters can step in for Southern supporters.

Reply #522889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought you were better than that Jack.

Reply #522896 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Poor taste Jack

Reply #522900 | Report this post

Well we have reviewed this movie Jack but we are unaware of whom you are referring too as far as the assistant for Tracy, in this role as they have a cast of a thousand here!!!
But one we recognized was Ed O'Neil {Al Bundy} playing a superb job as an assistant and we both think he could get an Academy for best supporting actor :)

Reply #522937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess who were out scouting at West v Sturt game yesterday.

Reply #522952 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

west and Sturt coaches trying to work out what they are doing ?

Reply #522957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are not doing will in the reputation stakes at the moment.
I watched Forestville men over the week end and although Daniel Sims is a good player his on court antics are not good, seems to have loose his cool very easily, bit of a circus.
Umpires seem reluctant to pull him and get him.
Coach seems to do nothing about it.

Reply #522960 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Heard the men's game was a bit scrappy, anyone explain what happened? Was there for the women's game, is anyone gonna get close to beating norwood? The two big girls, foley and Roberts were incredible.

Reply #522962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopster, who is Roberts?

Reply #522969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

really classy of Forestville coach to perch herself behind the West Adelaide bench during yesterday's game..

if the shoe was on the other foot there would be a lynching

Reply #522992 | Report this post

Resolut  
Years ago

The thread that keeps on giving :)

I Recon Forestville wished it would die a quick and quiet death. Not going to happen though till they #letjessplay

Reply #523006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people expect these coaches to have any class after everything they have done.

The sooner the members vote them out the better, and that goes for their cronnies on the committee as well.

Reply #523013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or one of their daughters lets out a loud screech as opposition shoot fouls shots that is always classy too.

Reply #523014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, or when they are coaching U10 girls and they themselves are stamping their feet and yelling as an 8 year old opponent is shooting free throws.

Reply #523015 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Really #502992, I dislike the Jess decision probably as much as anyone but where would you think she should sit? Their next game is against Sturt so you'd hardly think she'd sit behind their bench. Many coaches scout upcoming opponents' games if they're doing their homework and a strategic analysis on how another team tries to cope with them doesn't seem sinister to me.

Reply #523021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sit where all the other coaches sat. Over the other side of the court where yo aren't 10 feet from the coaches in a time out.

Reply #523027 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Number 25 maybe, Roberts was on the back of her jersey

Reply #523028 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Also the full court press on a team down 40 was nice to watch on Friday night

Reply #523029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not involved but just watching with interest.

Hashtag should be #letjessplayattheclubshewants

I don't think anyone is stopping her from playing. Only that she cannot follow the other 2 girls across to SOuthern. Seems like a reasonable rule to me.

If Jess REALLY wanted to play why can't she play at 1 of the 8 other clubs????

Forestville hash tag might be: #jesscanplayjustnotatsouthern

Reply #523031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't believe the hype.

Forestville are also holding up another player to Norwood cause they only have to clear 2 players total by the bylaws.

Reply #523033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect Forestville are not holding up any other clearance's

Reply #523043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they are, the oft-mentioned Norwood non-player.

razor - coaching etiquette is that you don't sit near another coaches bench. Always has been. You sit on the other side of the court.

Reply #523048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopster, she must have been using a borrowed jersey because there is no Roberts on the Flames.

Reply #523049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Monica Bello not being cleared to Norwood?
got to wonder why the likes of Amy Bell stay, been a loyal junior and gets zero minutes, easy to understand zero minutes when you are 16 or 17 and playing behind Mahoney and Fergus but zero minutes now. I'd be voting with my feet and be gone and season end.

Reply #523053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rebecca Duke wore 25 for Norwood on the weekend, a fairly handy player!

Reply #523059 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

I'll defer to the coaching etiquette manual if that's the case but note that at most SA venues space restrictions mean it's not really feasible to sit near or behind another team's bench except at Pasadena or to a lesser extent at Wayville or at St Clair where there's no other option.

Reply #523065 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Yeah that makes sense. Duke and foley are one hell of a tandem. Bell back to back games with zero minutes now. Loved seeing the norwood coach rotate through her bench players at the end even if only for a few minutes each. Makes it worth the drive for them in the very least. Why bring 11 to play really only play 6 or 7

Reply #523067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

razor - I agree - so doesn't that make sitting near the West bench worse then? As most/nearly all of the seating actually IS on the other side of the court (assuming they drag the ct seating to the edge of ct 1 for PL games??).

Reply #523070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm going to close this thread now. If you'd like to continue discussing the actual games and women's season, please start a new thread and keep it relevant. I think when people are talking about who sat where, it's probably time to wrap this one up.

Reply #523076 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754