Anonymous
Years ago

U18 Nationals Ballarat

1 month until tip off - Anyone know if there is a draw available?

Topic #36677 | Report this topic

ACT  
Years ago

I don't know if the draws are available yet... but ACT ftw.

Reply #520399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't expect too much guys, Ballarat basketball isn't the most advanced association out there. There will be an interesting game between the two Vic teams this Sunday. Practice game b/w metro and country at Minerdome.

Reply #520717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First bulletin is up.
Draw comes from BA, not host.

Reply #520868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know who won the VIC Country v Metro game today?

Reply #521219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro by about 30. They are ahead of country in their prep at the minute. Country have some injury concerns.

Reply #521235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Metro are not only well ahead of VC in preparation but they are miles ahead of them in terms of talent/depth...

Reply #521238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No NZ.
VIC Metro women and SA Metro men got by far the worst of the draw.
SA Metro women and SA Country men got pretty good draws.

Reply #521246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's so bad about SA Metro boys draw?

Reply #521277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have just been told that ACT Men nearly beat NSW Metro. Also does anyone know if SA Country and SA Metro will play a practice game? Would love to watch it.

Reply #521286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have a link to the draw, the Ballarat Basketball web site is a nightmare?

Reply #521290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what gives? Does anyone know why New Zealand are not coming this year?

Reply #521357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably no New Zealand, as even though their boys won Bronze at the 16s in Geelong, they couldn't apparently receive the medal. Heard it went to the team that lost to them. So guess that may be one reason. But that is just a guess. If they ever won gold they would have just had to hand it to the runners up anyway. That would just make you all fired up to send a team and play. NOT
Would be a lot of money to come over to be not considered worthy of a medal when its earnt fair and square.

Reply #521565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But New Zealand knew that before they began participating in our own NATIONAL championship, it's not like it was a surprise?

As far as I'm concerned Australia has been doing THEM a favour by allowing it to happen.

Reply #521566 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

They are heading off and doing something different with their worlds group, so not attending the AJC.

Reply #521576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be simple - either they are ALWAYS in, or ALWAYS out. Why should our national championships be held in such low esteem by NZ, when we are doing them the favour to develop their elite players in it?
565, NZ has never been allowed to win medals, mainly because it is the Australian Junior Champs...I highly doubt that is the reason. Ashke seems to be a much more believable reason.

Reply #521580 | Report this post

Green45  
Years ago

Surely NZ can register under a local Bondi club and become an Aussie team.

Reply #521582 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

The NZ non-medal is not a new thing, they attended the u/18 National men here in Adelaide in 1976 (77 or 78)and that was the case then.

Reply #521585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enough about who isn't coming, let's switch back to who is coming. Any updates from around the country on how teams are shaping up with their preparations? Any practice game results other than the Vic Country v Vic Metro Boys game mentioned already above?

Reply #521606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interestingly if NZ teams win the Aus Country Cup in Albury they get the medals! Maybe that's why they keep coming to this event?

Reply #521608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa metro beat sa country in boys by maybe 25? Sa country girls beat metro girls by 10 or so.

Reply #521617 | Report this post

Sea Eagle  
Years ago

I watched a few games of the Big V pre-season tournament and have to say U/18 Vic Metro look the goods - well drilled, good shooters and skilled bigs. Didn't see the NSW team playing at the Tournament but they will have to good to get over the Vics side. Anyone see the NSW Country side play?

Reply #521636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The draw is up.

http://ballaratbasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2015-U18-Kevin-Coombs-Cup-Draw-at-at-11Mar15.pdf

Reply #521644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Sea Eagle - I saw both NSW Country and VIC Metro play at the Big V tournament. I think NSW finished 2-2 and VIC finished 0-4 but both sides play well and look fairly even. I think, however, that although VIC have a deeper 10 man roster, NSW probably have more talent in their starting 5 and that should get them over the line if they are fit enough to play more minutes and stay out of foul trouble. Going to be a cracker of a tournament.

In terms of the draw, it looks set that NSW Country and QLD North (from Pool A) as well as VIC Metro and NSW Metro or WA Metro (from Pool B) to advance to the semi-finals. Pool A looks to be the tougher of the two and they also play 1 extra Pool Game to compensate for NZ's absence.

The game between NSW Country vs QLD North on Day 1 should decide 1st and 2nd in Pool A so will be all important for both sides to be on their game early. Not sure what to expect from QLD North but if Froling and McDowell-White (assuming he is still playing) can play between themselves they will take some stopping. However, they may lack depth in other positions but that opening game will be one not to miss.

Reply #521659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they have changed the format this year anon^ they will likely be playing quarter finals first, then if they win will progress through to the semi final game...

Reply #521757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard Vic Country are hosting Vic Metro in both boys and girls this weekend. Is it in Ballarat and what times? I am interested in having a bit of a look ahead of nationals.

Reply #521917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday in Bendigo

Reply #521922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish I was able to go watch this. I think WMW will dominate.

Reply #521963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone confirm that SA Metro's best big is not playing?

Reply #521964 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No SA Metro have the two best bigs of their comp playing

Reply #521965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is SA metro's best big?

Reply #521967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if we can name names, but I heard on the grapevine that one pulled out and one of the reserves is in?

Reply #521969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of the VMW are from the team that was so poor in u16s last year are in the 18s team as bottom age players. Let's hope they can redeem themselves.

Reply #521970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There do seem to be a lot of bottom age kids in the VMW team who failed to medal last year. But remember who coached them!

Reply #521971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two were outstanding, the others very poor.

Not the coaches fault.

Reply #521973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 Metro Women underachieved last year and the coach needs to accept a lot of the blame. His coaching left a lot to be desired and so did his attitude.

Reply #521975 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

What time and were are the games on Sunday.

Reply #521985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

975 - what are you on about. 16 metro women won the Nationals last year and Country was up there too.

Reply #521986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro U16 Womens coach was a stress head, out of line, spoke terribly to his players and what do you know - didnt get the best out of them. I wonder why.
The biggest wonder though is how he got re appointed

Reply #521988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

986, what are YOU on about? We are talking about VIC Metro women underachieving.

You might want to read a whole thread before commenting so you don't make yourself look stupid.

Reply #521990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep and i thought it was about SA due to the two post below. Chill out Vic simple mistake !!!

'No SA Metro have the two best bigs of their comp playing'

'Who's SA meteo's best bigs ?'

Reply #522025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The irony of 025 telling someone else to chill out.

Reply #522039 | Report this post

Sheep  
Years ago

no one is going be able to compete with nsw country until teams have weekend long camps

Reply #522087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Sheep - what do you mean?

Reply #522095 | Report this post

^ I think Sheep is saying that the NSW country team is ridiculously overpowered, that a team consisting of high NBA caliber players will be able to edge them out in a close match.

High NBA caliber players refers to MVP contenders, such as Curry, Lebron, Westbrook and Harden.

In conclusion, it will take the combined effort of players like Curry, Lebron, Westbrook and Harden to beat this years under 18 NSW Country team in a very close match.

Reply #522099 | Report this post

Sheep  
Years ago

referring to the preparation teams have for nationals. NSW country have 3 day camps where as other states train a day a week

Reply #522112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Country do one or two day camps, mostly players also do NITP/NPP as well. Country teams in general will have logistical issues so they tend to do two day camps but three day camps are an intrusion into school days.

Reply #522119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won yesterdays games between Vic Country and Vic Metro?

Reply #522139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not New Zealand.

Reply #522152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Country ended up playing Bendigo Youth League Men.

Reply #522156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what are our predictions for the Men?

Reply #522160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not New Zealand!

Reply #522166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro Men will not medal this year. Team is disgusting.

Reply #522168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same with NSW Metro Men. Without their big (Isaac) they will not medal.

Reply #522173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Country, Qld North will medal. 3rd... could be any of Vic Metro, NSW Metro, WA Metro, SA Metro, Vic Country I'd say.

Girls pretty wide open too.

Reply #522175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic country has for years used weekend camps for state prep, with very long days and any longweend holidays that may be available or school holidays that have extended them to three day camps, with days. Whinnie going at 8 and ending at 8. Vic metro have me dr had weekend camps or long training sessions, they have traditionally had three sometimes four two hr sessions throughout the week with scrimmages against older teams as their prep.
All changed for country this year, no weekend camps just one day camps.

NSW country in either girls or boys in previous years having the weekend pep camps haven't beaten the Vic teams,

Reply #522179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prediction for the Boys:

1. NSW Country
2. QLD North
3. VIC Metro
4. NSW Metro
5. VIC Country
6. WA Metro
7. SA Metro
8. QLD South
9. SA Country
10. ACT
11. Tasmania
12. WA Country
13. Northern Territory

Reply #522396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Country will not win. NSW Metro can beat them

Reply #522418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes you say that?

Reply #522424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand would beat them both.

Reply #522442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic C v Vic M this sunday at 1.00pm at Ballarat

Reply #522443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand aren't playing, who cares

Reply #522448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ too scared to come...

Reply #522452 | Report this post

Sea Eagle  
Years ago

It's a pretty open boys Tournament for me. NSW Metro are well trained from what I have seen. Vic Metro look the goods to me, don't know the coach but the Team looked pretty sharp a few weeks ago. Why does everyone rate NSW Country so highly? They look OK but not the raging favourites many seem to think.

Reply #522466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Call me crazy but maybe NSW Country are so highly rated because that same group of players won Gold in this age group in U16s

Reply #522477 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You're crazy

Reply #522483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand are too good to be invited.

Reply #522484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It could be relevant, but sometimes the world changes a lot in two years.

The amount of u16 "stars" that are very ordinary u18s is significant.

I hope the country nsw team has taken this into account and picked the best squad, not just the old team.

Reply #522485 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

Think you'll find the reason people rate NSW Country men is that they won u/16s for the last 2 years....add in 3 of the better players from last years winning side to the side that won 2 years ago and it should be a winning combination. The title is there's to win, but depends on the improvement I other groups.

I'm glad that one of the NSW Metro parents thinks that their team is a chance...but not sure on what that's based?

Reply #522496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theirs to win*

Reply #522501 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

NSW Metro stink.
I heard they had a close game against ACT in the first 3 quarters; with their COE scholarship player taking part!
QLD South are a dark horse to upset them, early. Possibly even ACT haha.

Reply #522517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ WERE invited - they declined. Fear factor...

Reply #522539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fear? Aussies fear the Hakka! Maybe they declined because they would dominate.

Reply #522542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, that last point makes no sense.

Reply #522555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know who won the U18 VIC Metro v Country game today?

Reply #522902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men and women played, both went to Vic M by around the 10 point mark. Vic Country women and Vic Metro women were missing best two players due to AIS and injury. Vic country men had a lead at half time with their injuries behind them showing they are going to be hard to beat at Nationals but Vic metro steadied and got over them in the end.

Reply #522932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, so it's now less than 2 weeks until it all begins in Ballarat. Who are people's tips for top 4 in each?

Men
1st NSW Country
2nd NSW Metro
3rd Vic Metro
4th Qld North

Women
1st Vic Metro
2nd SA Metro
3rd SA Country
4th Vic Country

Is anyone here actually going to watch?

Reply #523136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My predictions for the men:

1. QLD North
2. NSW Country
3. VIC Metro
4. SA Metro
5. NSW Metro
6. VIC Country
7. WA Metro
8. QLD South
9. ACT
10. SA Country
11. WA Country
12. Tasmania
13. Northern Territory

Reply #523142 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

Why is everyone pegging NSW METRO to finish so highly.
The 7ft'er that played with them and piggy backed them in U16s is no longer playing for them.

Reply #523163 | Report this post

Sea Eagle  
Years ago

I hear NSW Country have a few injury concerns. They need their starting 5 to play big minutes for them to have any chance - not sure whether that is going to be possible. My predictions for the men:

1. VIC Metro
2. QLD North
3. NSW Country
4. NSW Metro
5. Vic Country
6. SA Metro

Reply #523166 | Report this post

BigBird  
Years ago

My predictions for the standings at the end of pool play
Pool A Final Standings
1st QLD North
2nd NSW Country
3rd Vic Country
4th SA Metro
5th Tasmania
6th WA Country
7th NT

Pool B Final Standings
1st Vic Metro
2nd QLD South
3rd WA Metro
4th NSW Metro
5th SA Country
6th ACT

Reply #523169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can confirm NSW Country don't have injury concerns lol. Be interested to know how Sea Eagle purports to know that...

Reply #523181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Sea Eagle is a parent of a player who was not selected .... Either way can be reassured that NSW Country are all ready to play.

As for the women, I think the SA teams deserve to be rated, but think the NSW Country girls with significantly different team from 2 years ago just might force their way into semis....

Reply #523202 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I will be there for every day, looking forward to it, Go Vic!!

Reply #523216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigBird why do you think NSW Metro will do so poorly though? Yes they have lost Humphries but is their team and coaching staff really that bad that they can't medal?

Vic Metro and Vic Country from watching them on the weekend will come very close to playing each other in gold medal game.

Also NSW Country girls without Simmons will struggle to medal and yes NSW Country boys have injury concerns in Myles Cherry due to overuse injury.

Go Vics!

Reply #523229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Anonymous #523229

So you don't end up with egg on your face, it might be wise to check your facts before you (1) start claiming that teams have injury concerns that simply aren't true and (2) start naming individual players.

I have it on good authority that NSWC are all ready to play. Given you are obviously Victorian, I'd be very interested to hear how you come across knowledge of individual players' injuries (that don't actually exist)...

Reply #523240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who to believe - Anonymous or Anonymous?

Reply #523250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mile Cherry is an excellent player, if NSWC have a 5 man to ease his load and they can play him in his true position of 4, they will be hard to defeat.

If NSWC rely on him without support and he gets into foul trouble against big teams such as the VICs then they could be in trouble come finals.

Having said that, NSWC also have very good shooters and small forwards who can get them out of trouble and keep scoreboard pressure on their opponents when the inside game is blocked up.

This makes them similar to VICM in my opinion, as they also have very strong outside presence and can keep the scoreboard ticking over when the shuffle 'hard cuts' are not quite working.

Reply #523275 | Report this post

Vodka 73  
Years ago

I think anonymous has NSW C mixed up with NSW Metro. They have had injury issues for the past month or so. Everyone is just getting healthy now so will be interesting to see how they come together.

Reply #523290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are games being live streamed?

Reply #523477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Ballarat!

Of course not.

Reply #523493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The finals will probably be live streamed

Reply #523496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt it

Reply #523499 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

NZ won't medal - bookmark it.

Reply #523519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember when the NZ joke was funny?

Reply #523572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ not coming was never funny, just sad!

Reply #523799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were there any other practice games over the Easter weekend that people can report on. Less than a week until the U18 Tournament begins in Ballarat. Looking forward to it all getting underway.

Reply #524021 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

Melbourne tigers girls under 18 is sitting on top of the ladder after 4 rounds and the state team doesn't have not one tigers girl in the team. Their youth league are also on top. Why is this.

Reply #524119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you think?

Reply #524123 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

No idea. What do you think is the problem. Maybe politics.

Reply #524124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winners-a quick look back.
2014 u20 women- Victoria
2014 u20 men- Victoria
2014 u18 women- Vic metro
2014 u18 men- Vic metro
2014 u16 women's- s.a metro
2014 u16 mens- nsw country
2015 u20 women's- vic metro
2015 u20 mens- vic metro
2015 u18 women's- vic metro, Maley/magbegor... Nsw metro runners up.
2015 u18 mens- nsw country, Glover/cherry... Vic metro runners up.
2015 u16 women's-
2015 u16 mens-

Reply #524127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw country women's.^

Reply #524128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nix - Youth League being top is kinda irrelevant isn't it to under 18s?

Reply #524163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, because the best (state team) Under 18s play up into Youth League teams.

Reply #524173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nix 34 - that is in pool 2. Pool 1 has Bulleen on top of the ladder. Interesting question though. Maybe playing well as a team without having any superstars

Reply #524188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what? The team doesn't have ANY 18/19/20/21 year olds in it? Irrelevant.

Reply #524189 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

Nah tigers have at least 2 star players in their team. Just have a look at the roster and see if u can find them.

Reply #524207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Help us out Dad, who are they? I can't spot them.

Reply #524208 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

Looks like your another one of those people that can't see talent if it poked u in the eye.
Ps. Not a parent.

Reply #524211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the state selectors are looking a bit wider instead of the "old days" when you had to play at Melbourne to get picked?

Reply #524223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha^

Reply #524236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it hilarious that Melbourne Tigers Mum/Dad is sooking that politics played a part in Tigers players NOT being selected in a state team!!

Reply #524244 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

Maybe the selectors have no idea. It's easy to be the best in the state. What about best in the world. I've been in the system for many years and there are players that shouldn't have been picked. Have a look at BOGUT. Never picked for state because no one was capable of looking at him. We're is he today.

Reply #524247 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bogut played for the Vics in U/20's.Damian Cotter was the Coach

He did miss selection in 2001 Vic Met 18's and swore he would show the coaches they made a mistake and now he has well and truly proven it

Reply #524249 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Nix, Bogut if I am correct was also a late cut from a previous state team (Under 18's? as Anon suggested).

People were looking at him, and the fact he went to the AIS meant the system got him and someone was looking at him. Maybe he was not the right guy at that point for those earlier state teams.

Every sport has stories of players who were never "talent identified" and got to where they go to outside of the normal pathway. Its increasingly rare but it happens.

It's like picking the MVP. Everyone can pick a different guy to be MVP, doesn't mean the original pic was unworthy.

Reply #524256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No-one questioned Bogut's talent, just his unwillingness to be a team player at that time.

Are you saying the Melbourne girls are comparble to Bogut???

This just gets funnier.

Reply #524288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let the players prove their worth on the court - not long to wait. Just over 2 days til tip off!

Reply #524291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish all the kids a great week at Nationals, looking forward to watching some competitive games.

Reply #524431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for Saturday

Reply #524432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All you Paul Flynn haters are going to suck royal eggs after these Nationals. His team is going to romp it in. The coaching staff have prepared the girls so well and developed the IQ and skill set of all girls in the squad, when they come back to your clubs and dominate you will only have him to thank. He is a great teacher and communicator who knows how to prepare a state team. Kudos Paul Flynn ;)

Reply #524433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance but....... Who is Paul Flynn???

Reply #524434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Paul Flynn & how of track is your comment following such positive messages ???

Reply #524439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was at Dandenong and I think now at Sandringham, but yeah not sure of connection to Nationals

Reply #524440 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

All the best to all the girls at the nationals.

Reply #524447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul is Vic Metro U/18G Head Coach

Reply #524454 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

He will be under the microscope.. Some might say because he failed at Dandenong and Sandringham SEABL and some may say because he took 1 look at his Nunawading VYCW team and then quickly poached 4 kids from other clubs (3 State, 1 State emergency). Others may even say because he was telling people that Alex Sharp and Anneli Maley made the AIS because of his coaching of them at nationals last year. I don't think some people realize the things they say and do shape others perception of them.

If you have to tell others how good you really are, are you really that good?

Reply #524468 | Report this post

Triton 77  
Years ago

Melbourne tigers smashed nunawading youth league by 30 points.

Reply #524485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares?!

Good lucy to the Vic Metro girls, and Paul Flynn their coach.

Reply #524486 | Report this post

Triton 77  
Years ago

Yes. His gonna need it.

Reply #524487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn had nothing to do with either Maley or Sharp going to the AIS, they were already selected before he came into their lives, so if he is taking credit for that as has been suggested then it is not the case.

Nunawading recruited Wynum, Brewster and Pineau from Melbourne (all played in the recent Vic 20 state team) but the last 2 didnt play in the game v Melbourne.

There was a post on here before and after last years 18 nationals about Flynn picking the wrong, possibly having to pick a couple of girls from Tassie if you believe the stories. He won the title, but only just against a spirited Vic Country team.

Reply #524488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at SA Country:

U18 Women, have a target on their heads. Big expectations from Paul Salter and his group. The likes of this group being 3rd 2 years ago and with the same calibre of kids expect this group to finish high in the rankings.

U18 Men, let us hope this is Head Coach Mal Penno's last year, plenty of other better coaches coming through the system. These young men have a tough task ahead of them and with 4 under age athletes in the group will be lucky to make it off the bottom under the guidance of Penno.

Reply #524493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow that's a comment that sounds very much from a parent who's son didn't make the cut.

Reply #524501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all unfavorable comments are from parents. You have others in and around these teams in various roles.nough said.

Reply #524520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round 1 tomorrow, let's get excited folks!

Reply #524523 | Report this post

meggsie  
Years ago

im sure paul salter and those sa country girls are going to be right in the mix , some exceptionally strong girls in the bigs rounded off with classy guards karteyerni etc - big show .
mixed feelings about the call on mal penno- old saying you have to have the cattle right !
watch for wa metro men to be tough to get over they should not be underestimated , my mail tells me they were good at an s.b.l tournament recently and coached by beveredge.
hoycard ( wa country women )to stretch every big in comp. she is a tough cover can shoot the 3 as well.
good luck to all the kids . good luck paul salter with that target on your big ugly melon.

Reply #524524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny as!!! you name one SAC coach in the background waiting to move in that would be up to the job. ANSWER NONE !!! Ingham needs to open these positions to include metro as well. Correct though a poor year in terms of player quality, damage was done at U16 level, for many years, not just this one. Penno is more a victim of circumstance. SAC boys maybe should have forfeited this year and played as a group in the Melbourne classic. Its going to be a long week.

Reply #524526 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

U18 National preview now up on PnR!

2015 U18 Australian Junior Championship Preview

Last year's U18’s tournament saw VIC Metro defeat a tough NSW Country side in the Men’s Championship game while the Women’s Championship game saw VIC Metro defeat their Country counterparts.

Who will prevail in 2015?

Men's early prediction: Queensland North
Women's early prediction: Vic Metro

Reply #524566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, you going to these championships or just going to wrote stories from reading the stats?

Reply #524589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^In the mens I reckon there might be some Vic worth watching, yet not one mentioned? Hadley is ex-Tas!

Reply #524590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, great article.

589, like any media, readers should not believe everything they read. A police officer once told me the media NEVER get it 100% right.

Keep bringing on the great articles. I am pretty sure you are getting pretty good information whether you are there not and generating interest and debate is what good articles do.

Reply #524593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... or maybe Nix just has no idea...

Reply #524594 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

While I appreciate that LC is taking the time to write these articles, it is hard to get all the current info from a distance. As far as I know, Jasmine Simmons, while very talented, has withdrawn about a month ago, due to injury. It would be good to be in contact with the coaches before writing these articles?

Reply #524623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game Day!

Reply #524635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity there's no livestream...

Reply #524636 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wonder - did you check who was the author of that article? It was certainly not me - I just shared it!

While I was hoping to get to Ballarat, work and family commitments will prevent me from being there, even if it was for the weekend.

Nonetheless, Olgun has a very good understanding of the players at this level. It is his opinion based on the information available to him and from the countless hours of games/video he has watched.

Reply #524638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you guys will just make stuff up based on the stats, and infer you were there?

Maybe a diclaimer should be added to each "story".

Maybe Media Watch cloud do a report about your stories?

Reply #524639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the work that P&R do promoting junior hoops but some of the heights in the article are plain wrong

Reply #524640 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interesting first up game between NSWC and QLDN.

NSWC one of supposed favourites with last years result and sixteens players coming through and QLDN also up there and they have come away with the win.

Country normally get better as the week goes on, so lets see what happens.

Reply #524659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid game for will white and Harry froling...

Reply #524660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both WMW and Froling had solid games. Miles Cherry, and M Maluach were impressive for NSWC also. Game could have gone either way, wouldn't be surprised to see these two teams meet for Gold.

Reply #524664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's happened with the 18 boys games today ? Any upsets who has been playing well ?

Reply #524707 | Report this post

Nix 34  
Years ago

What's happening with E. Batish for Vicmetro womens. Is she injured

Reply #524709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a nice kid.

Reply #524711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries and big ones, not sure who he was but one of Qld South's big fellas hurt his leg badly in warm up today, I hope he is okay but it didn't look good at all.

Qld North's best player might be out for a while too, he looks like he has hurt his shoulder or elbow. Standing around with his arm in a sling poor bloke.

Could have big implications in the mens as the week rolls on.

Reply #524714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Will Magnay (QLDS) and Will McDowell-white (QLDN) will be out for the week.... Throws the gold medal race wide open now

Reply #524723 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Day 2 recap is available.

After Day 2 of the U18's Australian Junior Championships we still have a few undefeated teams left and, at this point of the tournament, it’s becoming a lot clearer as to who the favourites are.

2015 Australian U18’s Nationals Day 2 Recap - Both SA Women’s teams looking strong

Liking the look of QLD North with WMW and Froling dominating.

Reply #524730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have any info on qld Souths zinita Aokuso ?
Is she bottom age, like 1999 born or younger? Height? Etc.
After putting some good numbers up against one of our best big prospects in hoycard, thought I'd find out more about her... 24 pts, 23 rbds, 3 blks.
Currently Averaging 14 pts, 13.33 rbds, 3 blks after 3 games.

Reply #524732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know results of Mens NS Country V SA Metro ?? Stats down and game should have finished.

Reply #524773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost by 13!

There was a bee sting incident down the stretch.

Reply #524774 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Bee sting??

Reply #524776 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Bee sting??

Reply #524777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please tell !! That would have been a great match to follow on live stats then !

Reply #524778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who lost ???

Reply #524780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NS 79 / SA 63

Reply #524786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats are here:

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=500190452&c=1-4101-52350-340128-0&pool=1

Reply #524788 | Report this post

Mad Hatter 3.0  
Years ago

Games are fantstic to watch. Well done to all participants.

Reply #524790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should the guys and girls from the centre of excellence standout in terms of skills and stats?

How do they identify talent at that age?

Reply #524801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night Will McDowell-White came on against VC men and dominated, he looks fine to me no issue with him at all.

QLD Nth will win this championship in the mens without doubt.

Reply #524868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

W.white a shoe in as starting pg at u19 worlds?
Wilson and dj to backup.

Players labelled 'class of 2016'. Does that mean they are born in 1998?

Are there any good u17 players for next years world champs? Boys and girls
It's hard to tell who's bottom age and top age.
Would love to see heights and d.o.b listed.

Reply #524870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each seems to have a couple of bottom age kids on show with girls and boys sac lboy doing well I think he 9 ? nswc have a few doing well

Reply #524875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Country Women just beaten by SA Metro !!! They haven't had a loss yet.

Reply #524885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know tina Aokuso d.o.b?

Reply #524889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news, I may have to look at the results online myself. Oh no, it is ok, I have you to interpret them here for me.

Reply #524890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

890 Whats you problem ?

Reply #524894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

868 - QLDN will enter the finals as deserving favourites but they are by no means shoo-ins. NSW Country lead for most of their match with QLDN and had one of their best players not allowed to take the court because of a farcical ruling about blood on his singlet.

NSW Metro and VIC Metro would also give them a run for their money.

Reply #524895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on results so far gotta say Vic Metro Men have had small winning margins to what we have come to expect over the years. Also appear to be in considerably weaker pool.

Bronze medal game tops. That said, wouldn't suprise if they finish out of the medals this year.

Reply #524897 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As has been the trend throughout the tournament, Day 4 was full of blow-out victories, and with just one more day of the pool round, the finals games can't come fast enough.

Both Victorian Women’s squads are performing as well as expected while Day 5 will see an exciting matchup between two undefeated Men’s teams - NSW Metro vs VIC Metro.

2015 Australian U18’s Nationals Day 4 Recap – VIC Metro Women continue to impress

Reply #524930 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Does anyone know what time the men's & womans final is on Saturday. Thanks in advance.

Reply #525001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think w.white, h.froling and c.horvat have all but sealed there places at u19 worlds with there performances so far at this tournament?

Reply #525004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good tough win by Vic Metro men against NSW Metro by 8 points. Vic Metro play Vic Country men today which will be another tough contest. Vic Metro women cruising through so far. Looking the goods for the title

Reply #525019 | Report this post

ACT vs QLN  
Years ago

ACT vs QLN. I wonder who will win....

Reply #525023 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

anon #004 Chantal and Harry have greatly benefited from CoE training and everything it has to offer to reach their potential.

Will is CoE caliber and along with them, I agree with your assumption. They have been standouts in this tournament for sure.

Chantal has grown and looks about 6'0" if not slightly taller now, with her athleticism and game she has progressed very well.

Harry looks bigger and stronger than anyone his size in this tournament and will stand out accordingly, but as I have stated the CoE development has assisted him as it should, otherwise I would be worried about the program to be honest.

There was never any doubt with Will's efforts at the Adidas Nations that he is world class...

Reply #525026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would you have William start ahead of Wilson or dj at pg?

Reply #525030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of minutes has maley been getting?
Thought she would stand out a bit more on the stat sheet.

Reply #525032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will whites stats so far this tournament.
Averaging
16.33 points
5.83 rebounds
2.83 assists
1 block
61% fg shooting
Averaged Over the course of 6 games. 2 of which he did not play at all.
Why do they do this?

His real avg stats should be....
24.5 points
8.75 rebounds
4.25 assists
1.5 blocks

Reply #525035 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

⇧ someone doesn't know how to use the stats software?

Reply #525055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maley troll

Reply #525064 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Any info on grandfinal times yet.

Reply #525069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been following the box scores on a few of the sa games. Brad Rathjen from country has posted some impressive numbers including 38 point game! must have some talent! what are the views on his future?

Reply #525081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can some one tell me what's going on with the sporting pulse site ?? No updates or fixtures ??? Poor form

Reply #525196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's SF

SA Country vs NSW Metro
SA Metro vs VIC Metro

Men's SF

NSW Country vs VIC Metro
NSW Metro vs QLD North

Reply #525198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4101-0-0-0&sID=60776

Everything works on live stats.

Reply #525211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro women the last hope for a Vic Gold Medal After NSW Country take out Vic Metro Men

Reply #525217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Via metro vs sa country in the women's final me thinks.
Magbegor vs brook in the post. Great matchup...

Reply #525220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld North v nsw country more than likely.

Reply #525221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

may have been likely, but didn't eventuate
All NSW final in the boys

Reply #525243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will and Harry didn't get much help from the other guys this game.
Shooting was horrid.

Reply #525248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go you Country boys!

Reply #525252 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Wow!

Reply #525254 | Report this post

Vodka 73  
Years ago

What a scout by NSW Metro. Triangle and 2 on Will and Harry.
They have exceeded all expectations NSW! Congratulations to the team

Reply #525260 | Report this post

Hogwash85  
Years ago

Wowwwwww! Just watched that game also! Completely out coached. Underdogs pull through. No one had them even making top four!

Reply #525261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The level of smart coaching in this tournament was more inconsistent than the officiating!

Reply #525292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has will white grown a couple of inches?
looks high 6'5-6'6.

Reply #525298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dudes! Froling and White stick out like dogs balls against these other players. (In terms of skill)

Watched the women's semi also...
Where has all the talent gone?

Reply #525299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's bronze game I mean ^

Reply #525300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dudes! If they are both so good why couldn't they make even the Gold Medal game?
You and I must be watching a different tournament

Reply #525303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refreshing for junior men's basketball to see the Vics outside of the medals!

Can't wait for the heads to roll......

Reply #525304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe because you need more than 2 players 2 on a team.

Reply #525305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Vic Basketball. Loose the borders that divide Metro/Country and maybe then we will be back in the medal hunt.

Reply #525306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know the last time a VIC Metro team finished out of the medals? Would have to be ages, methinks.

Reply #525307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2010 Terrigal New South Wales Metro
2011 Ulverstone New South Wales Metro
2012 Perth New South Wales Metro
2013 Brisbane Victoria Metro
2014 Canberra Victoria Metro

Reply #525308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troll all you want guys^ the kids do the best they can and every year they are different. The coaching is also different most years and obviously this year NSW are having their turn at the top.

Gloating and putting down the Vic is only going to give them more incentive to improve next time, like other states need that!

Reply #525311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magbegor looks to be the same height as maley. Thought she was supposed to be taller. Moves well though.
Never seen Chelsea brook before. She's had a nice tournament so far.

Reply #525314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MALEY!
22 points, 25 rebounds.

Reply #525318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you "loose" the borders between metro and country in Victoria when all of the other mainland states have a metro and country stream. Personally I think fingers should be pointed at the messiah from Tasmania and the "impact" he has had on Country Vic basketball, both teams under achieved at these championships. Conspiracy theorists may suggest ulterior motives.... maybe he was the poster wanting them merged.

Reply #525319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the comp is fine the way it is. Just needs The nz team to come.

Reply #525323 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Also, why would you want to "loose" the borders when Vic is the dominant participation state, dwarfing all others?

Reply #525326 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well done and congratulations to NSWC and VICM...

Reply #525333 | Report this post

Bobo  
Years ago

Ezi is about 3 inches taller, wow you have bad eyes.

Reply #525337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #525319
re: U18 Nationals Ballarat
Why would you "loose" the borders between metro and country in Victoria when all of the other mainland states have a metro and country stream. Personally I think fingers should be pointed at the messiah from Tasmania and the "impact" he has had on Country Vic basketball, both teams under achieved at these championships. Conspiracy theorists may suggest ulterior motives.... maybe he was the poster wanting them merged.

The training level that has been implemented since the Marty Handson days of country Vic leaves a lot to be desired and it is now showing, these kids are the ones who have come through after that. So it's not just been one head coach.

Reply #525340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maley is high 6'1, maybe 186cm. Ezi listed at 6'4... I don't think so.
Chelsea Brook looked slightly taller and she is supposably 6'3.
At best she would be 190cm. The very short end of 6'3.
Do we have other centres like Ezi of the same age/size?
Brook, mills-Norton, Aokuso. How old are these girls?
Hoycard was excellent but to old to make u17s next year. (Too much talent ahead of her for her to make u19)
Is mcspadden the only other with descent height who is bottom age?
annabelle Lindsay for act would make a great pf, pretty sure she was born 98 or older though.

Thought Abel, Cubillo, mole, George and lehmann made good steps towards under17s next year. Simmons obviously wasn't there, nor was fuiava.

Reply #525342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW Country Boys - what a team.

Reply #525343 | Report this post

Mimas83  
Years ago

NSW Metro Men - what a team. They have gone much better than anyone ever predicted. Without Humphries no one (myself included) would have said they would be playing in th grand-final. They just weren't that great tonight. Country boys deserved it but NSW Metro Men definitely the Cinderella team of this nationals

Reply #525347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For player Heights

Check out the Seabl media guide for all BA's CoE players

http://www.seabl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/BA_CoE.pdf

it has
Maley 187cm 1998
Magbegor 191cm 1999

also, Seabl media guide for hobart has 4 of Tasmania's

http://www.seabl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Hobart.pdf

Mills-Norton 192cm 1998
Mole 181cm 1999

all the other heights will be in the U18 tournament guide sold daily at the venue. who has a copy??? Please inform on;

Pizzey
Brook
Aokuso
Hoycard
Mcspadden

also on the mens side what the heights & YOB of

Colina VICM (looks to be about 6'10)
Pupavac VICC
Johns VICC
Hurse VICC
Ferguson WA

Reply #525348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't have the program handy but Pizzey same height or just a touch smaller than Ezi. Had a great tournament. Started for Vic Metro as a bottom age player and averaged 9.75 ppg at 60%, 5.5rpg 1.5apg.

Ezi Magbegor also a great tournament 11.5ppg at 61% 8.62 rpg 1.5apg

Anneli Maley the standout for Vic Metro particularly late in the week. I reckon she must have set a record for rebounds in the last 2 games in 23 and 25.

Reply #525351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The programs and media guides are of no value whatsoever with regards to height.

Some girls want to be seen as being taller as they get how numskulls will read these things and decide it is important to their ability to play for Australia.

Given you can disreguard the published heights:

Macbebor is two inches taller than Pizzey, who is at least an inch taller than Maley.

Maley was the standout in the GF. If she played for any one of the 4 stronger teams, they would win the tournament.

Next best in the GF was Rocci. Did her job very very well.

Reply #525355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Colina VICM (looks to be about 6'10)
Pupavac VICC
Johns VICC
Hurse VICC
Ferguson WA

Johns is 6'6" bottom age
Colina is 6'10" also bottom age
Hurse is 6'9" top age
Pupavac is 6'10" top age
Ferguson is 6'11" top age
Froling is 6'10" top age
Cherry is 6'8 & 1/2" top age

Reply #525356 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The U18's Australian Junior Championship has come to an end, with the country’s best talent producing an unforgettable week of basketball.

NSW Country took away the Men’s Championship, defeating NSW Metro in what was a thrilling interstate battle, while VIC Metro won the Women’s Championship in dominant fashion - capping off an impressive run of back-to-back Championships.

2015 U18’s Nationals – Tournament Recap

Reply #525357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LC, unfortunately George had a very very poor GF and didn't "come up big".

Reply #525358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All tournament team has 3 centers, WTF? Will Mc-White not in that starting 5 has to be a joke!

Reply #525359 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

Both Victorian teams were out of the medals in 2006, the last time NSW Country won as well

Reply #525362 | Report this post

LarryLegend  
Years ago

I agree with Anon 340, VC been on a downhill slant since Marty's days.

Reply #525363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the 1999 players that stood out?

Reply #525369 | Report this post

Bobo  
Years ago

Magbegor is a good athlete.

That's all I noticed from the women's side.

Reply #525382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would have to go through and look at the stats for the 1999 born kids and see who stood up against the older kids. How is the selection made for the Aus 17 team ? Does any one know the process.

Reply #525399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats are next to meaningless.

For example, most of the pool games are against such poor opposition that racking up a heap of points is of no value.

Perhaps stats from games between top 4 teams may be of some value, but even that is a stretch.

Reply #525401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the best kids from each state born 99 would have been playing at Nationals. Wouldn't be that hard to work out how they played each State would have only had a few girls and boys.

Reply #525403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's team could be more than 50% from 2000.

Very talented in comparison.

Reply #525404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Potential u17 2016 women's players who performed ok this tournament who are 1999 born and younger. Many others....But I wasn't certain of age.

5'7 g Rebecca Abel
5'3 g Abby Cubillo
5'7 g najvada George
5'7 g Hannah lehmann
5'9 g Cassidy Anderson
5'9 g Mia Satie
5'10 g callie Bourne
5'11 g/f Taylor mole
5'11 g/f Cassidy McLean
6'0 g/f Kiera Rowe
6'0 f Eryn fisher
6'1 f Brenna mckay
6'3 f Lara mcspadden
6'3 f Ezi magbegor

Girls expected to make u17 but weren't there..
5'10 g/f jasmine simmons
5'10 g/f Jayden Fuiava

Girls that Could make nice additions but I believe are 98 born. Might be wrong...
Zitina Aokuso, Chelsea brook, Lauren mills Norton, annabelle Lindsay, monique andriulo, bree Delaney, Amy atwell, bianca Thacker, carleigh Patrick, Ellie Collins, Rebecca pizzey, Courtenay wragg, elizajane loader, Madison Goddard, Rachael hines, Briana bailey, Nicola Matthews etc etc etc.

Reply #525411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Simmons & Magbebor are the certainties, and petentail starters.

Look to 2000 for the rest pf the starters.

Reply #525413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK any thoughts with the boys I would have thought there would have been less 1999 boys than girls at Nationals ?

Reply #525415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the 2000 girls?

Reply #525422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys 1999 and younger

Guards
Rowse, white, Elkaz, bines
Forwards
Fullarton, garang, maluach
Centres
No idea

Anyone have the guide from the tournament?

Reply #525424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm trying to understand how these teams can be announced before the under 18s are even played from what was posted there was some out standing players including both top and bottom age players. How can the under 19s be named before this competition has even been played.

Reply #525425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2000 girls

Lucy Cochrane
Emiliy Simons
Meila Goodchild
Jessica McDowell-White

Reply #525427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO Very few kids from the tournament are close to making U19s. The ones that are were already there. If a kid had a breakout tourney and had international potential I assume they would them to the camp.

Reply #525428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

18s were just played...
The u16s will be the tournament to watch. We should get a better idea on who will make the u17 aussie squads for 2016.

Reply #525429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what did we all think about the results and the tournament?

Did every one finish where tey were expected or were there some over achievers?

Was not there so would like to get an understanding? How was the talent of athletes and coaches?

Reply #525430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it correct that the best top age (Born 1998) players from the tournament will form the 2017 U19 World Champs team? A lot of potential there from what I saw

Reply #525436 | Report this post

Vic Metro fan  
Years ago

#411 Rebecca Pizzey 6ft3 1999 born. Started for Vic Metro should be in your list.

I actually watched many games from the tournament and I agree the stats can be deceiving primarily because they don't record anything do with defense other than rebounding. I trust that the U17 team will not be a team of shooters who can't play team defense.

Not sure that LC watched many games because he consistently missed great contributions by players and focused on shooters (who at times didn't even shoot well). The write up of the gold medal game commented on N George have a stand out game. Sorry LC, wasn't great. I think you actually meant Maddi Rocci who did play well. Also, you seem to keep missing Keira Rowe. Started almost every game for Vic Metro, got the job on the best players, outstanding defender. 6ft and 1999 born, scored well in some games and played plenty of minutes throughout the week. Has already been recognized by BA having been to the last camp.

Similarly Rebecca Pizzey. 1999 born, started each game, Top scored in a couple of games for Vic M, similar build to Ezi but no mention in any of the write ups.

Don't get me wrong, all girls were fabulous during the week and contributed in many ways but when people speculate on who will make Aus teams who are just going off stats (understand everyone can't be there however) there will no doubt be surprises when the teams are actually selected.

Reply #525446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic metro.

Who were some of the standouts from the opposing sides born 1999?

Reply #525447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sa would have sent the most

Reply #525453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA had the most what???

Reply #525457 | Report this post

Vic Metro fan  
Years ago

#447 - sorry, I dont have a program and so can't pick the 1999 born from other states. There will be others that can help with that one. There were a number of VG SA kids but not sure of their ages

Reply #525458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Axam, lehmann, magbegor, McLean, mcspadden, Rowe, Simmons.
Do you think these girls will be automatic picks for u17 teams because they go to the adc?

Reply #525463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me why NSW Country was carrying around a rock and shovel during the tournament? Did I miss the joke?

Reply #525466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

429, why should we watch the 16s to see the players who may make u17s for next year?

Most of the players will be those who are bottom age 18s.

Reply #525470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't imagine if they are looking at Aus under 17's why they would be mostly 2000 ?, when you would have a very strong group of 1999 ???

Reply #525474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16
VICTORIA COUNTRY WOMEN'S TEAM
Jazmin Shelley (Moe)
Ella Ogier (Shepparton)
Jessie Rennie (Bendigo)
Inika Hodgson (Traralgon)
Eve Braslis (Bellarine)
Ahlise Hurst (Mildura)
Chelsea D’Angelo (Traralgon)
Agnes Emma-Nnopu (Bellarine)
Stephanie Gorman (Wodonga)
Abby Sutherland (Hamilton)

Emergencies
Jordie McAuliffe (Horsham)
Chloe Storer (Wangaratta)
Danielle O’Toole (Bendigo)
Grace Egan (Shepparton)
Keely Hare (Maryborough)

VICTORIAN METRO WOMEN’S TEAM
Cassidy Gould (Altona)
Eleanor Leydin (Altona)
Maddi Puli (Werribee)
Emma Nankervis (Frankston)
Georgia Cleary (Eltham)
Last Tear Poa (Dandenong)
Isobel Anstey (Sandringham)
Keeley Frawley (Sandringham)
Lucy Cochrane (Sandringham)
Lana Hollingsworth (Sandringham)

Emergencies
Isis Lopes (Knox)
Ruby Shepherd (Knox)
Sophia Locandro (Dandenong)
Abbey Ellis (Bulleen)
Kate Tanner (Nunawading)

2015 U16 COUNTRY MEN’S TEAM
Reid Nanscawen (Southern Peninsula)
Jay Rantall (Warrnambool)
Jai Nanscawen (Southern Peninsula)
Seb McArdle (Bendigo)
Noah Gown (Warragul)
Nick Grantham (Macedon)
Steve Cummings (Southern Peninsula)
Matt Cummings (Southern Peninsula)
Shawn Clarke (Mildura)
Tom Schacht (Maffra)

Emergencies
Ryan Sarkady (Shepparton)
Liam Herbert (Warrnambool)
Brock Smith (Moe)
Ben Searle (Geelong)
Fraser Bell (Bendigo)

VICTORIA METRO MEN’S TEAM
Corey Battistin (Werribee)
Callan Blackley (Dandenong)
Ryan Bowkett (Diamond Valley)
Austin Bradtke (Melbourne)
Casey deWacht (Warrandyte)
Tarjai Hepi (Dandenong)
Keli Leaupepe (Bulleen)
Sean MacDonald (Oakleigh)
Matt Roberts (Ringwood)
Tyler Robertson (Dandenong)

Emergencies
Joel Capetola (Bulleen)
Brad Heywood (Dandenong)
Mitch Keogh (Werribee)
Trent Nathan (Nunawading)
Ryan Rapp (Dandenong)

Reply #525482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry what does the above have to do with this post about u/18-17's

Reply #525489 | Report this post

meggsie  
Years ago

agree with vic metro fan on stats!! funny to watch all parents , and listen to how much talk is about stats . then you get old heads watching games and can pick and see the better players without a stat sheet in front of them. some players where so good on the defensive end or running a team. elsworthy(sac) ran the point to perfection all week but was out of petrol tickets come g/f, rowe (vm)outstanding defence player, mole(tas)struggled when not on floor,was glue. miegel(wac) guarded point guards and centres all week, there team leaked points when she sat, the bigs for both nsw teamsintimidated girls with size, scheler,thacker,cubillo, allgirls who looked good without a stat sheet. has any one woken up the vic-country coach yet, because he was a sleep in the quarter final game. congratulations to the big v women.great job to the sac girls.

Reply #525501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#525463 there were other girls at the ADC, one from 2000 who was by all accounts a standout.

Reply #525506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perso?

Reply #525508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of talk about the girls what about the boys

Reply #525509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heaven forbid we talk about the girls side of things for too long.

Reply #525511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucy Cochrane was the 2000 girl that attended this year's ADC. 6' 4" 14yo from Vic Metro.

Reply #525520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was the only 2000 born on the women's side at the ADC, I believe there were a few boys who would be eligible for the u17 teams.

Reply #525521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Lucy really that tall?
Is Inika Hodgson the sister of matt Hodgson?
Is Isobel Anstey the daughter of chris anstey?
Is Austin bradtke the son of mark bradtke?

I wonder how big these guys are^?

Reply #525522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes
Who knows
Yes
Yes

Reply #525523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know if zitina Aokuso or Chelsea brook are 1999?
Could do with a descent backup centre to magbegor next year.
Lots of guards but not much quality forwards.
Mcspadden and pizzey the only other well known 1999 bigs?

Reply #525524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No & no.

8 girls in last years u16 GF were 2000 born so I think they'll be pretty relevant to the u17 group. The winners had 5 bottom age.

Probably a handful of 2000 boys in contention is think.

Reply #525527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pizzey is about the same height and started ahead of Magbegor so thats one
and as mentioned Lucy Cochrane 6'4

Reply #525545 | Report this post

LarryLegend  
Years ago

Inika Hodgson is no relation to Matt

Reply #525551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2000 Boys
Dent
Dalton
Matthews-Hampton
Froling
Were junior camp invitees and should have a legit shot at u17 Worlds. Maluach, Nanscawen, could make cases?
99s from January camp
Lutula
Garang
Fullarton
Bines
Johns
O'Carroll
Elkaz
Rauch and Zunic as the 99's on the National Champs might get a look?

Reply #525558 | Report this post

Wonderer  
Years ago

Anon 466 re the rock and shovel....only the NSW Country family know the story, all part of the Country boy mystique, everyone else will just have to wonder?

Reply #525560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't isaac white 99?

Reply #525566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope - Isaac is 1998

Reply #525571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is losing the borders between Vic Metro/Country being disregarded. I went to U20s and the one Victorian Team seemed to work, well they got gold so something worked.

Reply #525649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why keep the borders between states?

Reply #525650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4.25 million people live in Melbourne Metro.
1.60 million people live combined in Country Victoria.

I can see both points of view. We need to give country kids opportunities that many would not get if swallowed up into combined teams.

Reply #525655 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

The 'give the country kids a chance' argument is a real one. Metro could legitimately field 2 teams on their own that would be medal chances, with no involvement from country.

I think they need to stay seperated.

Reply #525662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think take Metro back to just being Albert Park

Reply #525663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth - not this year. Couldn't even field one...

Reply #525677 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Interesting facts about population of Vic Country and Metro.

Consider this

South Australia only has 1.6 million total with a small % of those in Country SA.

With the Womens teams placing 2nd and 3rd in the recent U18 Nationals, one wonders what may occur if the best of those teams are rolled in to one.

Maybe SA's talent and training methods is not so bad after all considering the reduced numbers to select from and the results. If the population pool was as big as Victoria and other states, could they have a greater demographic of height and size to select from and what results would that bring.

Reply #525680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon#677 the comment was a medal chance, all Vic teams made it to quarter finals, but the program got it a bit wrong this year and things just didn't go according to plan from what I saw. Coaching structures and the whole system of play was off, confidence of the kids was down and poor preparation all had a hand in their demise.

Always next year as they say in the classics

Reply #525707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anonymous#680 there in lies the problem, we are too fixated by results to let the kids just go out and play. we are too worried about losing to let them loose so we sit back and ponder what can be done to improve our little patch but forget that what is important is to develop kids for the futue.

Reply #525708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

708, this is an U18 National Championships thread incase you didn't know. LOL "just let the kids go out and play"

I didn't see too many scouts taking an interest in the 11v12 game, nor would they.

Reply #525711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

711 has no idea about anything!

Reply #525714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

714, lol. You are funny. Prove it :)

Reply #525718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you merge Metro and Country? Didn't Vic Metro win this years U18's but a good margin?

Reply #525719 | Report this post

Funny  
Years ago

Vics. We are losing, so let's combine teams. LOL !

Reply #525720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

711 talking about scouts, like that is all the nationals is about, get real. You have no clue, there point proven!

Reply #525744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754