Isaac
Years ago

Heal's WNBL team sign Rachel Jarry

Mentioned on Twitter in a couple of places. Joins Erin Phillips.

Topic #36802 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow where is the money coming from for this team? Heal is bankrupt, who owns it?

Reply #522887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, that's my day completely destroyed..

Reply #522892 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Pretty nice first couple of signings! They clearly mean business when it comes to putting a competitive lineup on the floor.

Reply #522893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suprised he'd target a player that hasn't played much in the last few years.

The Melbourne Boomers probably need a soccer transfer payments type system with the players they develop for other clubs.

Reply #522894 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Nice! First 2 both WNBA players, neither will want to play in a losing team, both are great competitors.

Reply #522903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hasn't played more than a handful of games for Melbourne over the last few years. Knee injuries have undermined her. Hopefully she recovers and we get to see a full season form her.

Reply #522904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomer probably be glad to see her go more a liability than a bonus lol

Reply #522905 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah lol totally shitty WNBL player lol who would want another Opal in their team anyway lol

Reply #522907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Heals selection as a Head Coach got to do with his former bankruptcy?

Reply #522909 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Who cares how or why they got her, shows they mean business which is good for the WNBL! And Heal doesn't pay for the players out of his own pocket lol, so his financial situation is irrelevant i would have thought?

Interesting that she is leaving the Boomers though, would have thought they would have secured her again, but then again maybe they are not fussed with her departure?

Reply #522922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry wasn't under contract, so SEQ were able to swoop before the official free agency period began. Smart move.

The Boomers might have wanted to be more confident in her knee before committing to a contract. As a club without the big budget of other sides, I can't say I blame them.

If he knee holds out, it will be a really solid signing for SEQ.

Reply #522924 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kunek to the Boomers.

Reply #522933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry has been contracted and hasn't played for the Boomers for 2 seasons due to injury. Big ask for a low budget club to take another risk on a player who represents a large amount of their budget.

Reply #522953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry WAS under contract as there was no release but SEQ contracted her in free agency so who cares. SEQ has a big budgetbso I suspect that they offered Jarry a lot more than the Boomers could afford to spend on one player.

Reply #522954 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Seems that they are only going with 1 import, Gee I hope its a Big! Someone that can play on Francis or Batgirl. I cant think of any Aussie bigs that could take on that role except maybe Tolo, I haven't heard what she will be doing.

Reply #523002 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Perhaps after a no doubt tough season in the WNBA she'll be in the mood for a well earned summer down under in her home state.
It's a nice thought.

Reply #523008 | Report this post

jeff  
Years ago

Jarry hasn't played enough games for me to be convinced that she can see out a season on a low budget team. SEQ will need some depth around Phillips and Jarry to become competitive against the better teams.

Reply #523085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 players alone wont make the team competitive? File that one straight under "No shit mate!"

Reply #523093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nor will low budget team.

Reply #523107 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

If the injury concern over Jarry was overly serious I don't think a WNBA team would bother with a continuing contract? It was a knee, they take time to recover.
I keep thinking Jarry is older than she is, hasn't even reached peak age for female players yet.
I hope she is a long term franchise player for the SEQLD Sharks? Magic? Stars?

Reply #523109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wnba team doesn't have anything to worry about (minnesota lynx).

She doesn't have a guaranteed contract, so she is just turning up to training camp and if there are any injury concerns or if she doesn't train well she won't make the team.

You're right though she is very young for a wnba championship player, olympian, world championship player even with 2 lost years due to injury.

Reply #523112 | Report this post

Bobo  
Years ago

All of that, and we don't know if she can really play. Will be interesting to find out one day.

Reply #523124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've heard she is fine to play just a bit rusty match wise. If she doesn't make the final cut with Minnesota (there's a fair chance she won't because they are a really strong roster) then they would need to waive her which means she would be a free agent. If that happened then I could see a few other WNBA teams taking a close look at her.

Reply #523128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek will stay with Rangers id imagine now that Anderson is coach

Reply #523144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strong word is that Brisbane have $440,000 to go after players and they are throwing huge money to entice players up north. Interesting that the league in their wisdom would allow such a large budget so Brisbane can stack their team given where Adelaide and Bendigo sit, Melbourne with half that budget along with West Coast.

No one begrudges players for going after cash but sometimes the cash isn't all it is cracked up to be. Just ask previous Dandenong Rangers players.

Reply #523154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Bendigo looking in real trouble and Adelaide still very uncertain as well I think it is not bad timing for SEQ to be offering some good money. The good players need some security.

Reply #523179 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Bec Allen as well

Reply #523272 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Yes!

Reply #523348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one blames Allen for chasing the money, but for a brand new club to come in and have a spend cap of over $400k starts the beginning of the end for WNBL. No other club than Dandenong can offer anything like those $$ so might be a boring 2 horse race!

New BA CEO should hold his head in shame for allowing this new team in.

Reply #523377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the moment they are the Melbourne Boomers with a better point guard. (A team that didn't make the playoffs).

Without decent bigs they won't beat Townsville or Bendigo. Plus Jarry hasn't proven she can stay healthy for any extended period of time.

I can't see a 2 horse race, as even though Dandenong have had the budget, they haven't really been in the race the last few years.

To me the depth in the league is spreading out further and more good young players will get the chance to impress.

Reply #523380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra always seem to be left out of the wnbl budget discussion.

They have been paying one player close to that SEQ budget figure (400k) to sit and watch their games over the past few seasons.

Reply #523385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money isn't everything. You still need to be able to get them to play effectively as a team which Chris Lucas managed to do this year with a high priced roster. mark Wright could never do it and he's gone. Carrie Graf hasn't seemed to manage it without Lauren on the floor. Bernie Harrower won two championships with a high value roster but the club is paying for the spend now.

Guy Molloy gets a low budget team playing well. It comes down to the coach at the end of the day. Let's see if Heal is good enough.

Reply #523425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal was already found out (with the Kings) he was hopeless yet somehow gets another gig.

Reply #523475 | Report this post

Hammered  
Years ago

Hope the money is worth it for all the players that get sucked in and sell their souls for the dollar. Welcome to the bleach blonde Mark Wright 2.0

Reply #523487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mark Wright could never do it and he's gone.

He coached for 5 years, won the title in 2011/12. Made the finals in every season. Didn't meet expectations with the budget they had, and he rubbed some people the wrong way but that doesn't erase a championship.

Reply #523494 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

(Heal) also confirmed SEQ would be chasing a US import centre then fill the rest of their roster with young and emerging talents with several players from Queensland on his list.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/south-east-queensland-sign-australian-opals-star-rebecca-allen-20150401-1mckou.html

Reply #523508 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

any chance gretel tippett ever make a return to basketball ? - a team in this area may be a good fit for her ?

wnbl plays during anz championships off season as well ?????

Reply #523515 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Can see someone like Steph Bairstow being called up, maybe Sarah Graham back to Brisbane as well and possibly Nat Taylor and Mikhela Donnelly.

Reply #523518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nadeen Payne?

Reply #523565 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

yes ! forgot about her - a queenslander as well - is she still hooping ?

Reply #523569 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Chris Lucas managed to do this year with a high priced roster. mark Wright could never do it and he's gone."

Without debating who's better, I believe those two coaches are tied at 1-1, are they not?

Reply #523594 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

Payne is just coming back from major injury , will be playing for Northside in the QBL starting next month.
Throw her in as well ....

Reply #523631 | Report this post

xx  
Years ago

Yes Payne is a Queenslander and is back from injury, will play in QBL for Northside. Fingers Crossed SEQ basketball grab her. Queenslander.

Reply #523632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#523394 Wright won that grand final because Tom Maher choked. Poorly coached last quarter. Just saying.

Reply #523751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754