LC
Years ago

SEQ WNBL sign Rebecca Allen

WNBA player Rebecca Allen has signed on to play with SEQ Basketball's yet to be named Logan-based team in the 2015/2016 Wattle Valley WNBL. She joins fellow WNBA recruits Rachel Jarry and Erin Phillips.

Official Team Release

WNBA star Rebecca Allen joins new SEQ team

Topic #36825 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

Is this an April fools post?

Reply #523369 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

great signing - after a season in the wnba her game will have improved dramatically.

will be interesting who they sign as their bigs

Reply #523370 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I hope its for real, if it is then i have found myself a new team to follow!

Reply #523372 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Hell of a first 3 signings. Between Allen, Phillips & Jarry, putting up points against SEQ is not going to be easy!

Reply #523373 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No April Fool's joke!

That is a pretty talented core to build a new team around.

Reply #523376 | Report this post

rumpelstiltskin  
Years ago

between this team and townsville..... trophy staying in qld

Reply #523379 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #523384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Boomers. Getting cleaned out!

Reply #523390 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Not really getting cleaned out Jarry hasn't played for two years.

Reply #523393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEQ WNBL may of broken the free agency rules with Jarry, She was contracted by Boomers. Hopefully they get fined for the breach.

Reply #523396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Jarry released from contract as she was injured. She wasn't part of the team at games or anything. I racall her saying in an interview she wasn't contracted anymore to take the pressure off returning.

Reply #523397 | Report this post

jeff  
Years ago

Absolute disgrace to allow a new franchise to come in and have an open cheque book on a competitive league. Let the spending continue!!

Reply #523402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And people had the gall to complain about Rangers, lol they are all as bad as each other, give every team the same amount and then you will see who really can attract the good players, guy Molloy will not be impressed giving Allen her chances and this is how she repays him.
Oh well no loyalty where the almighty dollar rules

Reply #523409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too recall that interview. In it she said she was released and that it provided the Boomers with the funds to sign Laurie Koehn (as Jarry was able to claim insurance because of her injury).

Reply #523410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't a new issued in the WNBL. The Caps started the "buy all the players" approach in 1999 and from there everyone has just been trying to keep up with the amount the Caps use to throw around.

SEQ isn't the only club with some cash to burn. I'd confidently say Canberra, Townsville and Dandenong will be similar amounts (if not more) to what SEQ is.

Reply #523411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry might have said she was released but the word is she wasn't. Just because someone was paying her contract doesn't mean she was officially released. broken rules facilitated by the WNBL management so I doubt they will be fined. What a surprise!

Reply #523419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So people are complaining fresh money coming to the league ? These girls deserve more, they do it as a job ...and if Boomers can't compete they should perhaps keep loyal to their promising juniors and develop them.

Reply #523420 | Report this post

Boomers fan  
Years ago

Sad to see Rebecca Allen is going as she was a well liked and important player for the Boomers. Read the ASC review released yesterday and one of the recommendations was to put in a salary cap and suspect it is for this very reason. Allowing clubs with so much more money than others to pillage clubs that develop young talent but can't afford to pay large sums is not developing a sustainable WNBL.

The AFL saved the competition by ensuring equality in payment structures so why is it we can't learn something from a very successful sport. While Adelaide has withdrawn and seems like Bendigo are struggling financially, it is irresponsible for the WNBL to not manage the competition for the good of the WHOLE competition. Let's hope Paul Maley hits the ground running and makes some changes.

Reply #523421 | Report this post

Boomers fan  
Years ago

#523420 - what do you reckon they have been doing for the past number of years! They have been developing young talent. I think the club has arguably the youngest roster in the league. And if you are referring to Bulleen juniors, don't forget it is MELBOURNE BOOMERS.

Reply #523423 | Report this post

Bobo  
Years ago

I just feel sorry for her having to go from NY to Brisveagas!

Reply #523428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Boomers didn't develop anyone. they inherited players from Bulleen and bought others on top of it.

Reply #523433 | Report this post

Get a clue  
Years ago

Yeah, no worries.

So Rebecca Allen and Rebecca Cole werent end of benchers for Tom Maher?

Not a bad job to make one a DPOY and Opal within a 6 month season and make the other a quality WNBL player, game winner and Opal squad player within 2 seasons.

Not to mention rounding out Tess Madgen's game from 'just a gung ho scorer' to a player capable of playing in the WNBA and WNBL All star 5.

Remember Olivia Thompson? The player that Chris Lucas couldn't find 1 second of court time for a year ago? Well she became a credible starter in a team that went on the cusp of finals.

How many other boomers in the past 2 seasons would get a game on anyone else's roster? And they made finals one season and almost did in the 2nd year too - all from their development of what they had the resources to afford.

If you don't think the Boomers develop players, you need to get a clue mate

Reply #523452 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I'd have to agree. Boomers are a tremendous program, hampered only by not having as much money to throw around as some others. They do this crazy thing financially calling living within their means, rather than getting involved in the salary arms race.

Guy is still the best coach in the league IMO, so I'm optimistic that despite losing some players to bigger $$ elsewhere, there will be plenty of others happy to fill the vacant roster spots.

Reply #523457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be bench players from other wnbl teams that never get a run. Look at Clydesdale, she would never have got the chance had McLeod not been injured and look what that has brought for her. Lots of players sitting at the end of benches just waiting to actually get the chance to run decent minutes, you just never know what gem you could uncover.

Reply #523461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is all this cash being splashed in SEQ for the WNBL when Bullets aren't off the ground yet? Put the funds towards an NBL team once again in Brizzy! geez

Reply #523470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many goes foes the NBL require with a BRISBANE team, they have failed miserably time after time. Total waste of money throwing it back at bullets or whatever they want to call them

Reply #523500 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Add Amy Lewis to the impressive list of players signed at SEQ.

That's not a good sign for the Lightning either

Reply #523539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most likely there will be no Adelaide team next season . Maybe the season after a new team can be ready.

Reply #523543 | Report this post

Damon  
Years ago

To anon 415,

Jarry found out about her injury before wnbl season and they therefore terminated her contract so she could take the season off and had no pressure to come back. That's why she wasn't apart of the team like she was the season before where she was contracted and attended all games on the bench. So yes, she was officially released.

Reply #524533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754