Anonymous
Years ago

AUSA hoops threatened by BV?

My son has been participating in these camps recently to work on his skills. Now we received an email saying that if nitp kids participate in these camps it will jeopardise their chances being selected once more for nitp. Anyone else recieved this email? If so, what do you think ?

Topic #36890 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous if that is the case. What is the reasoning behind it???

Reply #524694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show us the email?

Reply #524696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you send a screen shot of the email?
That's a tad ridiculous... What is the reasoning?
My opinion on this type of stuff? Let your kids play in as many camps as possible to improve their game. Anyone telling a kid to stop training??? Sad.

Reply #524697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this cause AUSA is doing BA's job better than them, such as???

1. promoting the game.
2. providing exposure.
3. providing additional pathways and avenues.
4. expanding resources in the sport.

Reply #524698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt. Ausa hoops and others provide competition to ba. Competition forces ba to do more or pack it in.

Reply #524699 | Report this post

Mad Hatter 3.0  
Years ago

attending different camps can only enhance skills. Gives players a chance to gauge there level to others. Some never get the chance to make a state team but are worthy of it. If this helps them realise there dreams why not!

Reply #524705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camps are one thing, but how does Ausa Hoops provide regular weekly support and hands on coaching? Consistency is the key to improving, not a camp every month!

Reply #524717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to the last comment. The point is they shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
BVic sounds like they're excluding Ausa players. Not viva versa.

Reply #524718 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Come on, the reason is quite simple and drives a lot of things. If you go elsewhere they'll lose money because it's definitely not about getting the kids better. If it was then they'd be encouraging kids to go to as many camps as possible.

Reply #524720 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

How much money do they make out of it Freddy?

Reply #524721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Copy of the letter ....

"Hi Team,
Players representing the Vic Metro program recently received invitations to a AUSA Hoops camp, and have been advised not to attend these camps that are unapproved and not sanctioned by Basketball Victoria, Basketball Australia, or the Centre of Excellence.

If you have received an invite to such a thing do not accept, reply or accept any t-shirts, photos etc. without checking with me first. If I am not available contact XXXXX or XXXXX to look into the camp. It may seem over the top but something as small as attending these non-sanctioned camps may make you ineligible for future NITP, State or Australian selection.
Accepting gifts for attending may hinder your chances for future College opportunities parents current rules and regulations state that invitations are not allowed to be sent to the kids but must go through the parents (due to being classed as a minor). If your son receives an invitation through Facebook or their mobile phone please let me know immediately so I can follow it up with Basketball Victoria. "

Reply #524755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor communication. Doesn't explain why they will be ineligible. Treats people like idiots. Very disrespectful.

Reply #524757 | Report this post

REX  
Years ago

My kid trailled with numerous US Div1 colleges , always left with at least a t-shirt or training gear.

This is nonsense.

Reply #524760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, the college eligibility question might be valid but why on earth would you exclude them from our State or National pathways as a result of participation? As has been noted here on many occasions, not every single talented kid is identified through and given opportunities in programs like NITP.

I can understand the perspective of a state coach who is preparing a team for a national championship and dealing with kids who are playing club rep, domestic and school ball and whose workloads are just way too high. That still doesn't really justify that letter, or explain its fairly confusing contents, IMO.

Reply #524761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Egotistic, control freaks, clearly threatened by something that is good for the kids that they coach.

Reply #524762 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

is the communication actually from BV? Just that the last paragraph says that the author will "follow up with BV".

Reply #524771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like they're trying to warn people about these types of companies without saying anything incriminating, that's how I took it anyway

Reply #524809 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

Put these 'camps' and 'Academies' into perspective first.

The camp invitations are like supermarket loss-leaders, designed to get you in the door (like $2 milk). Once you're in the door the upselling begins. And let's be honest that's what all of the athletes are viewed as by these private enterprise programs...customers. I'm not singling out any one program here, this is a generic observation of those that I am aware of.

None of them give an athlete any marked advantage in gaining College attention, aside from the extra work which could be done elsewhere in any case. A scout doesn't care which pay-as-you-go program you're part of. They're looking for representative selection, and BV/BA are trying to ensure that the selected athletes aren't overworked or coached contrary to NITP/ITC coaching.

They (the private enterprise programs)are businesses, and only prosper based on their reputation, and the profile of the athletes they manage to get thru the door. The issue is one of transparency.

On top of this, none of them are cheap, with fees of nearly $20k p.a. in some cases, for training that could be replicated elsewhere for much less or even nothing in some cases. It's actually a cunning business model, preying on potential parental guilt, and with vaguely worded promises of increased likelihood of College attention and offers. This is a myth. If an athlete is prepared to put in the work AND demonstrates ability and potential, he/she will be noticed.

I actually applaud BV/BA in issuing this communication as I know there has been discussion about private-enterprise programs in the past, and I have been queried myself by parents and athletes in the past.

Doubt everyone will agree with this, I'm just posting what I've observed and what I know.

Reply #524826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hear hear Anonz!!

Reply #524827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have any of you had a kid who went to both the centre of excellence and another basketball program ? Was there any major differences in the level of training?

Reply #524829 | Report this post

Boris  
Years ago

Anonz,

While you have some valid points about these 'camps' and 'Academies' I believe the AUSA Hoops business model is a little different then this. They do run holiday camps for a few days at a time and they are looking at a USA tour once a year to take kids over for college exposure on the AAU circuit. Not exactly sure on the cost of this but it isnt above $20k or even $10k. I recommend looking at the AUSA website and watching the video from the tour last year to see if they were able to gain college exposure for their athletes.

Not everyone that gets to college goes through the NITP/ITC program pathway, there are plenty of kids that start at 16 or 17 that need a different pathway, this email just smells of a powerplay by BV to protect their revenue stream.

At the end of the day people aren't stupid, if any of these programs are taking money while not getting kids to colleges the word gets around and they will ultimately fail in the long run.

Reply #524837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

826, hangon AUSA is something you join up as extra, on your own free will. Australian sporting pathways are important and clearly if you don't do NITP then it makes it virtually impossible to climb them but how the hell does NITP or state programs have any right to arbitrarily stop kids taking part in what they want.

The only issue would be if it impinges on their state or NITP commitments and they don't discuss it with the head coaches. Other than that stick your noses out.

AUSA looks to me to be run by people that work hard to promote the game, provide innovative ways to expose kids to colleges. The people that run it seem to have actually spent time in the US College system. On all these counts it would provide participants with extra opportunities outside what NITP or state programs can provide.

Reply #524839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giving them tshirt a will NOT hinder there college chances does ba think people are total idiots parents are PAYING for these camps and the shirts are inclusive.
And how on earth can this hinder NITP selection. They are purely holiday camp style programs but for kids who can actually at. Plenty of clubs offer these same type of camps (yes different ability level) it's revenue making nothing more. BA/BV can't dictate how parents want to spend their money or kids their school holidays. Now if they clash with NITP stuff that's a different case and if kids choose these Aussa hoops camps over attending NITP then that's the only way it could Impact selection and rightly so. But if they stop these money making camps then they need to stop them all and that would penalise not only kids who would never be making the NITP level but also clubs who rely on the revenue and parents who rely on the babysitting facility these camps give.

Reply #524843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My kid trailled with numerous US Div1 colleges , always left with at least a t-shirt or training gear.

This is nonsense.

Well hope the NCAA don't get wind of them as that's IS actually NOT permitted, colleges cannot GIVE prospective athletes anything in the way of material gifts, they can pay for a visit including all meals and out of pocket expenses but they cannot GIFT them anything

Reply #524844 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Boris, seeing as freddy wouldn't answer perhaps you will.

What revenue stream?

How much money do BV etc make out of NITP and thos programs?

I have always understood that sort of stuff to be a big loss maker for State organisations, not a profit centre.

Again though, can the person who posted the email at least confirm it DID come from a BV/BA staff member? It doesn't read that way - especially the last paragraph.

Reply #524853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's $8,500 for the trip boris

Reply #524864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless, let people make decisions for themselves. Don't stop them, help them make an informed decision.

If my kid was stopped from going on a tour to go on an NITP tour and nothing came from the NITP tour I believe there could be legal recourse to the NITP tour organisers. Why can't NITP just produce a superior package and stand on their own 2 feet, rather than creating artificial market conditions?????? mmmmmm.....

Caveat emptor.

Reply #524865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If my kid was stopped from going on a tour to go on an NITP tour and nothing came from the NITP tour I believe there could be legal recourse to the NITP tour organisers"

Please tell me you are just stirring and don't actually believe that garbage.

Reply #524867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would imagine it would be the head NITP coach from BV

Reply #524873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great Summary ANOZ

These so called Academies are basketball's version of snake oil salesman preying on kids by filling their heads with false hope while pilfering their parents wallets.

I have coached two juniors who went onto Div 1 college and then NBL level and have another one going down that pathway. Not one of them have attended an Academy or would have even thought of it and all demonstrated their abilities through their club programs and then State teams.

Not an extra cent paid.

Reply #524921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woah back anon^, 'no extra cent paid' what state program are you with, because my kids have done that and we estimate state and national teams have cost us at least $10,000 a year for the past four years.

Nothing is free, be reasonable and total the costs before you make up something like that.

Reply #524922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do 10 minutes of research before making ignorant comments.
Ausa hoops looks like they have one primary goal, built around gettin kids scholarships in the USA, and run some kind of holiday camp to give a high training standard to be able to tell parents and kids if they have college potential. So the opposite of what is being stated here.

How does BA, BVic etc help get kids scholarships to the USA? DO they even know what's involved???
I read thru the Ausa website, and it seems like they no what their doing. Even have sum knowledge centre full of resources.

If you don't like what they offer. Don't go. BUT Don't be dictated by a monopy of a government program

Reply #524928 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Personally I don't see any threat either way here. Remember how narrow the top of the pyramid is and how much pointer that top end is in basketball.

Opportunities are very rare and if kids want to pursue their basketball further they usually do this with the support of their parents first and foremost.

Parents have to guide their kids initially and if they have the money to send them on camps here or overseas, then whether they are with a state program or a private enterprise really shouldn't matter.

In this country we are resource poor when it comes to hoops, we are not the USA where money is thrown at the top end of the basketball elite, so the end must be supported by the means with which to get there.

If a kid wants to further his/her education, go to the USA and have a crack at the college system on a scholarship or if they want to stay here and try to enter the NBL, that is their choice and at least these programs are on offer.

Yes, some are more selective than others are on the face of it, but nothing will ever beat hard work to develop talent and potential. What I read is that no matter where kids want to go, if they don't do the work they won't get the rewards...

Reply #524940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

here here bear! here here.

Reply #524945 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

So basically Basketball Australia is feeling threatened by AUSA Hoops (and rightly so) and therefore limiting the choices, exposure and training our kids can be apart of. When did this become about the Basketball Australia business and not the kids? Shouldn't we encourage and allow the kids and parents to make their own choices around their basketball and attend the training camps and programs that will give them the best shot at a career in the game? It seems like Basketball Australia have become self indulged and forgotten about what really matters here - the kids NOT Basketball Australia. No wonder professional Basketball in Australia is folding. Wake up Basketball Australia and take your head out of your a?*&!

Mark

Reply #525076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let's just say I'm playing d1 soon I will be ineligible dude to the fact that I have been given some cheap tshirts? Yeah ok

Reply #525090 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There are already players playing D1 ball in the states who have been given a tshirt - It hasn't stopped their scholarships.

Reply #525106 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

No Mark, I think you are wrong; emotional, but wrong.

If I read this right these are NITP kids, they have made a commitment, based on applying and being selected, to a high performance program that is provided to them in a subsidised manner. In fact if we read the email (despite STILL not knowing WHO sent it)

That gives BA some skin in the game. That does give BA some rights to talk to the kid about what they should or shouldn't be doing. BA has a pathway, and it has been a very successful one.

BV also has a relationship with a college provider, so it is completely reasonable they would be encouraging these kids to talk to that organsiation not AUSA.

I think BA, not doing this for profit, would have a better set of motives around what is "right" for the kid than a private company.

Reply #525132 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There is a subtle difference between what is offered and expected notwithstanding the financial element.

The NITP/NPP or BA pathway is about doing what you are expected to do to complete set tasks and achieve set goals as given to you by your State/National coaches.

This is non negotiable and if you do not do the work you can in fact not be invited back to the program, therefore you are effectively left on the outer.

There is only a limited number of opportunities and therefore it is a very selective process that funnels kids into the BA system of play and development.

It is not necessarily about the individual or his/her personal development as much as it is about the system and how the kids fit into what is expected of them as a whole.

Privately operated businesses that offer a similar basketball training and development regime (once again taking the financial element away), offer a slightly different opportunity.

They will personally try and connect with the player to develop and improve them in specific areas necessary for the targeted end result. It is less selective and has a different governance, doesn't rely on kids fitting their system!

If the kid needs work in a specific skill or strength and conditioning aspect for example, they will be more focused on working with that individual as well as some team aspects to improve them, which isn't always possible or at least doesn't appear so under the BA model. If kids don't improve to the satisfaction of BA they can be removed until they are noticed again, kids under the private model can stick it out within the program, it is their choice.

Private business models do also promote and connect with the USA college system directly and indirectly, more overtly than BA who have coaches that speak with colleges but you won't read about it as much.

Self promotion and video analysis, mixed tapes, camps and improving the individual's particular skill set etc... These are all targeted towards the college pathway more so than under the BA system in my humble opinion, this is what I am observing as the difference...

Does it then conflict or should one be threatened by the other? Once again I think each they offer what people want or need and there should be no threat or conflict. In fact, wouldn't it be great if they worked more closely to help develop more kids and keep them in the sport longer by working side by side in stead of us perceiving the opposite exists?

Reply #525139 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

How many players are selected for NITP Bear?

Is it like 100 per age group? Does it vary state to state?

Reply #525178 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It has kind of changed over the years HO, I can only give you an estimate for the Vic program I have been involved with, at the moment it is around 15-20 for country and maybe a few more for metro. Country NPP has few at camps, small numbers so we are talking high teens there and mid to low 10's for NITP.

Once again, only estimates, I don't actually know the numbers and I have no ideas of other states. Generally they match up with State and Nationals squads, then a few more who come and go, so numbers can be ever changing.

Reply #525238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA s "program" is going down the drain, they need to take a dam good look at how the Americans do it, they think the Cof E is the standard to aim for, you only have to look at what the college system in America offers to see BA are so far off the mark its not funny, that's why they want to stop all these kids going into the college system.
Look at what they have lost in the last year or so, and they are not coming back to play in the Un19s , why would they when the opportunities to develop are greater in the USA than they could ever be here. Gone are the days when only those who couldn't really make it here went to college, now the better and smarter ones are going, and organisations like AUSA are clearly seeing this trend and creating more opportunities for not just the elite 10% to go but also all those who don't fit BAs picture.
NITP/NPP in Vic is an excuse to raise revenue more than develop players.

Reply #525615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon^ tell us how much money they make please?

Reply #525618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous (615) you really have no idea do you?

The CoE runs a very good, world-renowned program that prepares athletes to play at the highest possible level. A good college does the same.

Reply #525619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NITP/NPP

Takes kids out of their home programs and associations demands a lot of young kids often with no consideration or communication with home associations Often they are poorly resourced, yet believe they are superior to everybody.

In regards to AUSA, good on them NITP/NPP should be working with these organisations especially when they can offer services that state based BA endorsed programs are either unwilling to or can't.

So many contradictions in regards to these BA progrms, one program even has a high performance manager coaching his own kids!

Conflict of interest?

Reply #525633 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Vic metro has 25 NITP training on one court. I agree about the under resourced comment. It must be frustrating for the coaching staff!

Reply #534024 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Its not what the kids can do its who you know. My son did ausa hoops 8500k and well what can i say they got greedy. From 2 teams to four and only 1st team had all the coaches and they were at a different comp all nit told to us. 1 or 2 coaches and not at every game for 3rd or 4th teams. Lots of promises to be seen but very untrue unless team 1. Even when they did updates online little mention on teams 2 3 4. Great for team 1 but we all paid the same so we should receive the same exposure. And no i am not one of those parents but many of them never had a chance. He now knows that speaking from kids there its not all its made out to be. So ausa are as bad as nitp as nitp are full of kids that dads have played every day kids just dont get a chance.

Reply #704973 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754