Waves Fan
Years ago

Perth WNBL team to be Perth Lynx

Any word? A few rumours were surrounding the release of Kennedy and possibly an affiliation with the Wildcats but all has gone cold.

Any news?

Topic #36906 | Report this topic

West Coasta  
Years ago

I know nothing new but those 2 things you mentioned are both right.

Reply #525000 | Report this post

¡okcohc!  
Years ago

OMG you guys. Waves fans are not just in for a treat next season, they're in for a double treat. I'm not even kidding. I need to get my application in for the head coaching job before they give it to some other lucky bastard.
The team will have 4 of my very favourite things: a world class post, a world class lead guard, typographical errors galore, and no Abby Bishop.

Reply #525002 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

What jibber jabber be that

Reply #525003 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Burton headed West is the mail...

Reply #525005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting, Burton heading West. Penaluna done at Boomers makes sense to head back West.
Cant believe she gets Opals call up. What other Bigs are left? Waves and Lightning seem look like they haven't signed anyone.

Reply #525007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the boomers have there starting 5 already?
Cole, Madgen, kunek, Thompson, penaluna.

Reply #525009 | Report this post

Qld  
Years ago

5 man position - Thomlinson was there last year and is still in the West playing - way better than Burton

4 man position - Payne was moving last year also has family there, got injured ,but still spent time in the program , playing in Qld for off season, grab her not a lot want to make the move west.

1-2 man position - Graham was there last year , playing in Qld for off season. Great shooter.

Reply #525012 | Report this post

Years ago

Some one must know something.

Reply #525013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they can retain Moore..
Moore, Edmondson, garbin, burton, Tomlinson.
With some of the other players from last year and Maybe add the likes of bunton and Langford and gain a few players coming out of college like Barr, seekamp or sheedy etc. got the makings of great squad.

Reply #525017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should have a reasonable budget if Perth Wildcats have taken them over. Hearing definitely Tomlinson and Burton with a possible Tess Lavey.

Reply #525018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt Joyce wants lavey to be playing regular minutes.

Reply #525033 | Report this post

Red  
Years ago

Dear Waves Family

Later today the West Coast Waves and Perth Wildcats will jointly announce the transfer of the West Coast Waves WNBL licence to an organisation owned by the Perth Wildcats, subject to Basketball Australia approval.

The transfer of the licence will ensure the continued long-term WNBL presence in Western Australia whilst also strengthening the pathways available to female basketball players in this State. The Perth Wildcats have a long and proud history of success and professionalism, aspects they will bring to a new look West Coast Waves program.

Basketball WA Chairman, Keith Dunlap, is excited about securing a stable environment for women's basketball in Western Australia.

"This agreement will further enhance the opportunities for elite female athletes in Western Australia, as well as our coaches and officials."

"In addition it will provide significant benefits to the overall sport of basketball in Western Australia by allowing Basketball WA to further enhance the work we do with our Member Associations to develop the game from the grassroots through to our High Performance programs and competitions."

To all of the Volunteers, administrators, officials, sponsors, players, coaches and fans, we thank you for your support of the West Coast Waves over the past 14 years and hope you can continue to support the Club moving forward in this new and exciting direction.

Reply #525038 | Report this post

¡okcohc!  
Years ago

Interesting news about the Wildcats ownership. That explains how they're able to secure these new Opals-calibre marquee signatures.
The question is will they now be charging $1399 for a Waves membership as well? If would still be worth every cent to see a couple of the quickest players in the country at their respective positions.

Reply #525039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they play before the mens. Used to learn alot watching the old Michelle Timms led teams in the 90s.

Reply #525041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ladies and gents, get ready to welcome back the Perth Lynx!

The name will be resurrected (no doubt because it's synonymous with so many good things!) and the team will be led by the marquee signings of Opals Tessa Lavey and Natalie Burton.

I'm Brendan Joyce style excited!

Reply #525042 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I hope that's just a piss-take.
I'd be happy to have Nat back home again (though if she does have ambitions to take her game to the next level I'm very surprised she would leave probably the best development program in the league under Guy at the Boomers), but Lavey? We've already got a very competent backup PG here in Shani, we don't need another. We need a replacement starter for Lindsay Moore.

As for the Lynx name, gawd I hope not. The only thing associated with that name is the darkest days of the club's history. The highly forgettable decade in between our glory days of the early 90's and our slow but steady return to relevance as the Waves.

Reply #525043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nat Burton was desperate to come home and she didnt exactly perform well at Melbourne Boomers. She is so far off performing as a true 5 man. Hopefully playing with Louella will make her more hungry and passionate about basketball.

Lavey has been released from contract (1 year to go) Bendigo and is coming to West Coast. No use her staying at Bendigo she just warms the bench. She needs to play big minutes. She will be a huge addition to the West Coast team.

Perth Lynx has been confirmed as the new name.

Reply #525044 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"She will be a huge addition to the West Coast team."

If you say so, Brendan ;)

So yeah I see that the Perth Lynx thing is true. I guess it makes sense if they're going to share branding with the Wildcats.
I'd rather they had picked any of the other members of the cat family that wasn't a reminder of our worst era, but whatever. It's not a big deal.

What will matter is whether they are prepared to bring in some genuine quality players.
Last season's team wasn't far off the mark at all when everyone was healthy, so hopefully we can build on that.
Moore -> Lavey is a downgrade though.
Will graham stick around? I have to be doubtful now that there's a SEQ team in the league. Significant hole to fill if she goes.

Reply #525045 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

Better than cougars

Reply #525046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynx..
Cmon! they already have the Minnesota Lynx.
perth Panthers or something would have been much better...

Reply #525047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The black and green would have matched perfectly with the Panther theme.

Reply #525048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey can't score..
Burton can't score...
Where are they gonna get there points?

Reply #525050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's got the makings of an ordinary team if Burton and Lavey are meant to be there big signings. Different name, different colours, same wooden spoon.

Reply #525051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And an emptier than normal stadium looking at the membership prices: https://memberdesq.imgstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=custom_data_image_listing&CategoryID=26678&itemLayout=1&headerselector=3&OrgID=24924

Woweee!

Reply #525052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:O OMG those prices are insane for a WNBL team. Especially for a cellar dweller.

Reply #525053 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

$400 to sit at the SIDE of the court BEHIND the backboard !! ??

Include me out of that

Reply #525056 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Official release by the Wildcats:
http://www.wildcats.com.au/article/id/lf0tdqet5v611g8t08fvfd4ed

Reply #525057 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Burton clearly didn't perform last year and I doubt whether Guy would have been interested in keeping her. I guess lets see the Lavey Burton combo (that Joyce is in love with) perform. I am sure there are plenty of opponents waiting to pit themselves against the chosen ones.

Reply #525059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andy Stewart is the new coach isn't he?

Reply #525061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those prices are fine, 20 bucks a game for silver, not going to break the bank is it..

Reply #525062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A WNBL ticket is normally $10-$15 to sit anywhere. It's a considerable price increase if you paid that to sit behind the bench and now pay $20 to sit up the back of the WABC.

Reply #525065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also appears that parking will now have to be paid for at the WABC. With the ticket prices going up too, it just got a lot more expensive to go to a game.

Reply #525077 | Report this post

Waves Fan  
Years ago

I'm sorry but Shani compared with Lavey is ridiculous. Lavey has her beat in every category.
I don't care what the name is, I think it sounds like an exciting next step! They will struggle to sign any big names now though, with most of the top players already going elsewhere.

Reply #525091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is still a plethora of free agents still available, it's just whether they sign the right ones.

Reply #525093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavey was 40th in the WNBL in assists per game last season. She might have someone beaten in that category but it's still not a number I'd be bragging about if I was her. But maybe it is her 2.1ppg at 28% that has the Lynx excited.

Reply #525094 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think this is a big step for the club and I wonder if there will be a big name WNBA import coming our way or not?

As for Tessa Lavey, I'd love to see that girl play with confidence and freedom, she can get to the rack quite nicely but severely lacks the confidence to do it regularly

I'd love to see Deanna Smith playing in a successful squad as she has stuck around through some awful seasons and teams.

With Bendigo really dialling back finances, I wonder if any other players comes the Lynx way.

Reply #525121 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Also Channel ten Perth reporting that Wildcats have been in talks with Josh Childress for next season

Reply #525122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the ladies going to be prepared to do the hours Marvin will be expecting?

Reply #525123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will all come down to the dollars offered. It's a big commitment to want players to work full time for 46 weeks of the year when the season runs for, what, 18 weeks plus finals? It's a different approach which will either be a success or failure, depending on the salaries. It's one thing to be an NBL player and pull those extra hours of community service, because the salary is on par with a full time wage (and then some). Offering a part time wage for full time work would see it backfire. Time will tell, I guess.

Reply #525124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big words from Marvin but I'll believe it when I see it. Everything so far still reeks of a budget team. Well everything except the membership prices.
How does he expect to get more paying fans along to games? People aren't going to suddenly flock to the WNBL just because they are now part of the wildcats family. He had better put a playoff contender level team on the court.

Reply #525127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prime example of where inflated prices can cripple a game is the WNBL finals, the week before the semi dandenong Rangers hosted townsville as a normal season game with normal season prices, it was a sell out probably one of the biggest crowds all season.
The next week the same time same place scenario but first round of final series, ( remember at this stage both of these games were also shown on the ABC)
Tickets trippled in price , the echo from the lack of people was evident, they had one tenth of the crowd they had the week before, as a family unit you cannot justify that type of cost for a two hr basketball game with no other entertainment given.
Bums on seats is what brings in the money, but you have to make it affordable AND enjoyable.

Reply #525130 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Holy crap that is some exorbitant pricing. I know they want to make a point that women's basketball is valid and important but...

Well, okay, for Bronze it works out to a touch under $15/gm for an adult, half that for child. For Platinum it's $37/gm. $15/gm for adult is what you'd expect for a WAFL game entry and its still less than entry for any other men's national sport I can think of...

They're cocky, I'll say that much.

Reply #525159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, Nat Burton and Sami Whitcomb signed

Reply #525177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We will scout out the best you can buy"
- Bendat

Brittney Griner? Maya Moore? Both? :D

Reply #525180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see how Whitcomb goes in the WNBL. Easily the best women's american import in any state league at the moment.

Reply #525195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if it's true, that's not saying much

Reply #525199 | Report this post

oooo  
Years ago

What about the local girls and the others that where in the squad last year . Graham and Payne from Queensland would be good pickups.

Reply #525202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

both handy players and would be welcomed back I'm sure but both are Qld girls right? so maybe looking at Heal's new team as preferred destination.

Reply #525204 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe but I think its worth a try to see if they would be interested.

Reply #525205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course. Graham especially since she had a good season for the waves. It should be a given that they try to sign her again. Lots of the better players are already re-signed around the league so the Lynx need to get their asses into great and explore all remaining possibilities.

Reply #525207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Easily the best women's american import in any state league at the moment"

fly around the country to watch all of the 'State League' games to come to this conclusion did you?

Reply #525222 | Report this post

kitty kat  
Years ago

She would definitely be close. And I've seen plenty of the state league imports. That doesn't mean she'll be anywhere near the same at WNBL though of course. Will have to suck it and see. She has that consistent shot and is more athletic than she looks.
Will still need a lot more than those two to be competitive though. As we've seen, having just a couple of good players means nothing. WNBL requires depth.
Burton is solid, but not dominant.
I would be excited to have Lavey as I think she is a good prospect. She's quick and can handle the ball. Never got an opportunity at Bendigo to really show what she can do, so those stats that someone pulled up earlier mean nothing to me.

Reply #525286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She got tonnes of opportunity there. The spot was hers for the taking when Kristi retired yet her minutes still dropped and dropped as the season went on. She averaged more points & assists per game 5 years ago than she did this season. 6 seasons in the league and she is good for a fraction over 10 minutes per game. Doesn't sound like a player that's really going places. Except for the Opals of course if a certain Opals coach is to be believed. What a joke.

Reply #525296 | Report this post

kitty kat  
Years ago

Bendigo is very structured. I don't believe it was the right system for her there. You see plenty of players who can look great in one system and very average in another. If she is coming, I think it could be a good opportunity for both.

Reply #525310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree kitty kat, a system that requires a smart PG clearly isn't the right one for Lavey.

Reply #525315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe lavey will be a backup pg?
Still so many signings to come.

Reply #525317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm probably Sandra Sully here but the Burton news is official-

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/27178970/burton-on-cloud-nine-over-cats-takeover/

Suprised to read that she is 26. I thought with her inclusion to the Opals as a raw product that she was 19-22 or so. She is around the same age as Bishop and O'Hea.

Would be great to see them put a tough squad together.

Reply #525381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they are as serious about top quality imports as that newspaper article the other day made it sound then they really could put a playoff contending squad together. That would be unknown territory for the team in Perth. Just maybe they would actually get more than players' family and friends attending games.
On the other hand if these players like Burton, Tomlinson, Lavey & Whitcomb are going to be the top level of talent in the team and the imports aren't a clear level above them then the team is in for another season of fighting for the wooden spoon.

Reply #525386 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Lavey has not signed with Perth!!

Reply #525390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darcee Garbin is rumoured to be headed to Qld next year, Townsville was the word.

Reply #525585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That sucks for west coast. Maybe seq also?

Reply #525591 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Thats bad news I true about Darcee, I rate her higher than Nat Burton.

Reply #525593 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Garbin to Townsville is now official.
Nice signing for them. Big loss for the Lynx :(

Reply #525973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word is Andy Stewart didnt want her. Crazy!

Reply #525979 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

That's not a good start for my opinion of Andy if he didn't want Darcee! I'm going to pretend like I didn't hear that and just assume it's something more sensible like Garbs just wanting to broaden her horizons, or be a part of a winning culture.

Reply #525980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Especially seeing as Andy went to a lot of games and would have (hopefully) seen how talented (and under utilised) she is. I too think I will go with the approach of assuming it was Darcee that wanted out, the flip side of the story just seems mind boggling.

Reply #525988 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

WA has not exactly been a fertile breeding ground for the upper levels of WNBL talent, which makes it all the sadder about how many get away.
I was hopeful that finally having some security and a more credible programme under the Wildcats umbrella would finally reverse that trend. Nat Burton returning to Perth was a nice sign. But losing Darcee hurts. She's talented, she has improved every year, and she's still only 20! She's literally the last player we should have let get away.

Reply #526008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville have also signed Novosel , looking to be a powerhouse again, with even their lesser players being good. Poor Perth, might only have the likes of Lavey left

Reply #526024 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Louella Tomlinson is the second signing

Reply #526038 | Report this post

Waves  
Years ago

Why any young player would go to Townsvile and play under Lucas is beyond belief. His record of not helping young players is there for all to see. Bad move by Garbin better off to stay in Perth.
Expect most of the young players from last year to leave.

Reply #526048 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Waves ^^^^^ you are correct and I couldn't agree anymore with you. He has a shocking record gets them and spits them out. He doesn't support Townsville having No local women in the Townsville team, where is the development for them. Garbin will be one of his next victims Im sorry to say.

Reply #526058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garbin will benefit immensely from being in a program that includes the Lucas as coach and Bat Girl and Cayla on the court.

All of the Lucas bashers out there need to remember that in this environment it is a National League and his job is to win, not give players court time just to help their development. Most of the development for players isnt necessarily seen on the playing court but on the training court.

I think it is a great move for her to take her game to the next level

Reply #526071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But does Lucas even develop, look at Rosie fadjevic ( not sure how you spell it) her games gone backwards since being up in townsville

Reply #526081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#071 - Great coaches can do both i.e. develop winning programs & develop young players with good playing habits. It's clear Townsville are going the Dandenong route & trying to buy another championship. Trust me there are not going to be enough shots to keep everyone happy in Townsville next season! Flanny will be a huge hole as she was prepared to sacrifice her game to get other players involved. With 2 american's who are going to be looking for their shots with Suzy & Cayla looking to get up 15 to 20 shots each I can easily the Fire going down in flames. Hopefully all that heat will go on to Lucas & he can suffer the same fate as Mark Wright! Lucas may be a championship coach but he is far from being a great coach.

Reply #526091 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Flanny is indeed a huge hole. Very big shoes to fill.
Neither of the American guards are the shot hog type though, so I don't see that aspect being a problem.

Reply #526094 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Townville taking over Dandenong's buy a championship role, seems Chris Lucas got one by way of luck and fortune.

Bendigo looking good but now seem to be in a black hole in terms of their coaching situation.

Adelaide on the brink it seems.

Perth Lynx news great, hope it all goes well for them. Along with SEQ.

Now to how this broadcast deal goes ahead in some capacity, online streaming/Live access type at the very least I hope.

Reply #526107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one of those listed have improved and stayed??

Reply #526132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olivia Thompson left and has developed well under Guy Molloy

Reply #526135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She did nothing under Lucas

Reply #526139 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hmmm add Ally Wilson to the list as well.
Its funny how people forget in the seasons he has had he has gone through enough players to make 2 teams. Got to be a reason they don't wont to stay.

Reply #526148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow and mark wright was always made out to be Mr bad lol

Reply #526150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably should put all that into its own Lucas or Townsville thread or a general WNBL thread. It's an interesting discussion point IMO. He is regarded as a top coach but most of the success seems to come via ready made players. Much like Graf.

Reply #526152 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Add another one to the list departed Townsville
Harmon

Reply #526160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many championships come via non ready made players?

Reply #526161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That list looks like a bunch of people (bar Thompson and Cumming, and the Frolings) who aren't quite good enough to play WNBL. Nothing to do with the coach.

Reply #526246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas. Great coach. Great club man. Top bloke. Proven record over many years. Results speak for themselves. Tremendous success.
Sounds like a really jealous person with a personal agenda here. Very sad. Hope you seek help for your obvious issue and can move on some time soon.

Reply #526353 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Anymore signings for the Lynx?
If they're going to be competitive might need more than 2 players.

Reply #527440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fear not! The team is on a major recruiting drive atm:

http://www.seek.com.au/job/28561330?pos=2&type=standard

Reply #527444 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

That is funny, thanks for the laugh

Reply #527451 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wait, is that Seek application legit? lol

Reply #527456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be entirely surprising seeing as though the Waves squad has been told 'if you don't hear from us we don't want you at trials'

Reply #527457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Seek ad is legit. There are also a couple of front office positions being advertised.

Reply #527461 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

To be honest, the past waves players haven't exactly set the WNBL on fire. They are good sbl players, most would be bench players at most on other WNBL teams. Sorry to offend anyone just seeing it as it is.

Reply #527462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's uncanny how one extra top tier player can allow those role players to look a lot better just playing their roles rather than attempting to do everything. The Waves were very competitive last season when they had a full team. Unfortunately Smith & Tomlinson missing so many games through injury meant that a full strength side didn't hit the court too often. But what I'm saying is that sure there were some average players but there were also some capable ones and I wouldn't be too quick to just dump the lot of them.

Reply #527464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget, the Waves didn't get blown out of many games at all last year. Tomlinson missed a massive chunk, and Doccy missed a few here and there as well, but they stayed competitive nonetheless. Garbin's departure is a huge loss, I personally hope the Wildcats ego and wallet doesn't take over in the re-branding. It would be sad to see the role players that did their jobs solidly last season get told that they are no longer required.

Reply #527466 | Report this post

TYRELL  
Years ago

the job is listed as full time on the seek ad. Full time WNBL players?

Reply #527468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how many basketball players have a cover letter and resume.

Responsibilities
Help my team score more points then the opponent.
Attend training sessions
Play defense and offense

Skills
3 point shooting - intermediate
layups - advanced
dribbling - intermediate
passing - beginner

Reply #527470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope that ad is by some work experience office clerk, unreviewed by management. Otherwise it is making yourself ridiculous while trying to look professional.
All those broadly worded responsibilities and no mention of remuneration?

Reply #527477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyrell, the Wildcats want to adopt their contract model onto the WNBL side of their operations. That means that players are contract full time (which includes a large portion of community work both during the season and offseason). Not sure how that will impact on their ability to recruit players from interstate (who can get the same playing money without the large commitment of 100s of hours of community work) or who would generally play in the SEABL/QBL in the offseason (which pays more than the WA SBL). Might be hard to entice new recruited when they are expected to stay in Perth all year round.

Reply #527478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they going to get any players or what???

Reply #530493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the $64 question right now! For all their talk about wanting to win a championship in the first season, it's been all quiet on the western front.

Reply #530585 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Lynx have announced more signings this morning
Carley Mijovic
Klara Wischer
Izzy Chilcott

Reply #530946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waiting for the big names!!!

Lol at signing Cambage and Jackson!!

Let's see it Andy

Reply #530948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So all the local Waves players were told not to come calling, but then they go and sign two players that arguably are no better? Guess the Wildcats mentality of players being from interstate = being better than locals has already kicked in.

Reply #530950 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Lightning might get some of the Waves players!

Reply #530952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the Opals players, LJ and Cambage? The no stone unturned till we put together a team that's going to win a championship? Right now, that roster is going to need some pretty huge additions to even come close to making the finals.

Reply #530954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mijovic doesn't seem to stay in the same place for long. The move makes sense this time around with the Lightning I'm assuming having only the budget to sign local players.

Reply #530958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if Mijovic doesn't get p,aging time this season she will hop to another club next season, pretty soon she will have run out of clubs!!

Reply #530994 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A WNBL ticket is normally $10-$15 to sit anywhere. It's a considerable price increase if you paid that to sit behind the bench and now pay $20 to sit up the back of the WABC.

The WABC is a compact venue, so even bronze seats at half-court give you a good view. ANd they work out a smidgen under $15 per game. ON the elevated side there's maybe a dozen seats in the first block then the walkway, and on the other side its maybe 14 rows and the back couple are bronze.
Personally, I'd prefer Bronze seats close to half-court, than pay extra to be closer, but potentially further towards the corners.

The $400 memberships are really only for those who WANT to spend the money, get the "best" seats, t-shirt, priority parking, etc. You can get decent seats for only $160, or a silver Family membership for only $500 (2+2).

Reply #531004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Waves players are better than those 2? Have you seen those 2?

Tomlinson signed
Garbin - sure but off to Fire
Smith will be 35
who else.........their other 2 good players last season were imports

If those pieces that the Lynx don't want were so good, why did they win 9 games in 3 years for the Waves?

Reply #531008 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Tessa Lavey is official
http://perthlynx.com/Media/News/perth-lynx-sign-australian-opal-tessa-lavey

Reply #533923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats what happens when you leave signings too late, you get stuck with Tessa Lavey

Reply #533929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched her play for Spirit yesterday in SEABL and coudnt contain opposition guards. Kel Wilson had to cover her arse.

Reply #533930 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Pfft... you're both hella jealous, it's so obvious
:p

Reply #533931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at all the haters - Not happy with Lavey signing?
Tess has been in the firing line for almost 12 months with Joyce giving her an arm chair ride. In fairness she has delivered both camps and tours.

Move off hating Mijovic to Lavey. If I'm right Mijovic has been drafted to WNBA and is still only 20 years old. Bad signing?? Checked her off season stats and is leading both scoring and rebounding in Victorian league.

So Lynx have signed Tomlinson/Burton/Mijovic/Lavey as recognised Aussies. All who have been invited to Opals camps, been on tours and represented Australia at some point and there are still complaints.

No import announcements yet, no silly 300K Cambage Ranger announcements or weird government ACT incentive like the LJ deals. Why are people hating this so far?

Good on the Lynx and good on Wildcats owners for supporting women's basketball.

Reply #533937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not too mention a couple of handy SEABL players in Chilcott and Wischer.

Reply #533963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sami Whitcomb *is* an import. There is only one more import signing to come.

Reply #533986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad to see Tessa going to Perth. Certainly wasn't what the Spirit needed. Good luck to both her and the Lynx. At least now we may all get to see her play more WNBL minutes and be brought undone by all the other guards deserving of that opals spot. Surely BJ will find another excuse though...

Reply #534113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#533930 ^ I was at that game too and couldn't agree more. Seems to happen quite often too might I mention. Certainly feel for the other guards around that should be given more opportunity based on their talent, not their potential

Reply #534114 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Quite couple of games for Sami Whitcomb this weekend in the WSBL played 52 minutes for 79 points

Reply #535826 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Lynx sign Chicago Sky rookie, Betnijah Laney.

http://perthlynx.com/Media/News/perth-lynx-sign-wnba-player-betnijah-laney

Not sure she's the ideal fit for the team's needs (I'd feel better if our starting lineup had another 3 point threat), or that a rookie is ideal, but she is certainly well credentialed and is getting rotation minutes (averaging 17 mpg this season) as a rookie for the top team in the east in the WNBA.

Lots of height in this Lynx team!

Reply #537347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754