http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/1avpar3l5yr8g1lwxoc3wr92q6

Topic #37127 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing for Melbourne

Reply #529408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wortho out blanchfield in that is a great upgrade in ability and work ethic. they could be good.

Reply #529412 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Didnt see a lot of Crocs last season but I'm hoping Blanchfield has improved his ball handling and perimeter play sufficiently that he can hold down the 2 spot.

Tomlinson at the point, with Barlow and Blanchfield on the wings is a good start for United, but obviously still a lot of signings to go, and I'm thinking it'll be tough competing with the likes of NZ and Perth on points etc, not to mention chemistry and continuity. Both have signed the majority of last seasons roster.

Reply #529414 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-enter-nbl-free-agency-with-just-nate-tomlinson-and-david-barlow-signed-20150515-gh2no1.html

Just reading the above article, am I right in assuming the options on Kickert etc were club options not player options?

United would be crazy not to re sign Walker for 3 points. Barlow and Blanchfield are 9, Tomlinson 7. That leaves 42 points to sign 6 players.

What's the go with Odigie? He's only 2 points and is developing.

I do have concerns than Blanchfield is a similar player to Barlow and Odigie, but if they can all fit together in terms of skill sets, it's a no brain decision to re sign Odigie.

5-?
4- Walker (3)
3- Barlow(9)/Odigie(2)
2- Blanchfield(9)
1- Tomlinson(7)
POINTS USED: 30/70.

With 20 points to sign 2 imports and 20 points to sign 3 Aussies, they could well assemble a talented roster. Like most other seasons, a lot comes down to the imports. Wilbekin and Ibekwe, please!

Reply #529418 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How about this?

Ibekwe (10)/Patton(2)
Kickert (8)/Walker(3)
Barlow(9)/Odigie(2)
Blanchfield(9)/Carter(5)
Wilbekin(10)/Tomlinson(7)

Not a bad NBL team on paper. Like last year, there's a bucketload of talent. Unlike last year, there's a bit of balance and a variety of skill sets.

It's no longer a donut team, and the imports are proven professional winners instead of young guys who are in their first job out of college, or coming off the long term injury list. There's a lot of flexibility in that roster, with decent wing players, and good depth at the anchor positions of Centre- Ibekwe/Patton/Kickert and Point- Wilbekin/Tomlinson/Carter.

There's 3 point shooting, rebounding, rim protection. Experience, depth.

Sounds like I'm trying to sell it but I do like the look of that roster- or something similar.

Reply #529419 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

very good signing but they need to sort their club culture and team unity asap if they are to retain talent and compete. start with getting a coach that the whole organisation is going to stand behind win or lose.

Reply #529420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they should be aiming for something along the lines of

5-Ebekwe/Patton
4- Kickert/Walker (3)
3- Barlow(9)/Odigie(2)
2- Blanchfield(9)/R Carter
1- Wilbekin/Tomlinson(7)

That would be a fairly well balanced all round team, and they would actually have some rim protection too.

Reply #529421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

snap LV i posted after just seeing your initial guys filling 30 points,

Would be a great team though

Reply #529422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield has never played out of Townsville until now in the NZBL. Big money, move to a big city, hope he is equipped to deal with all of that.

Reply #529423 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Blanchfield at the 2 would be a concern for me...he is more of a 3.

I think you would be better off swapping Barlow to the 2 and Blanchfield to the 3.

Reply #529427 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

@Anonymous I thought you were taking the piss outta me until I realised you only posted a couple of minutes after. Hilarious! Great minds think alike... :-P

Yeah re Blanchfield and Barlow, 2/3 doesnt really matter, they'll both play the wing spot. Question is, will there be enough ball handling in the team, enough playmaking and creative abilities off the dribble? Well, if they get a good point guard like a Wilbekin type, along with having a strong back up point guard (Tomlinson) and a back up 2 who's also adept at running an offense (Carter) it hopefully won't be an issue.

Reply #529428 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'd start with Blanchfield at 3 with Barlow coming off the bench behind him.

Reply #529431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try keeping this lineup under 1.15 ppp

5)Kickert
4)Barlow (seemed to just foul a lot and shoot 3s, would prefer him to foul power forwards and power forwards would be more likley to leave him open)
3)Blanchfield
2)Steindl
1)Import pg

Import 5 (Ibewke/Gladness) off the bench to avoid early fouls and to save this squad on D that would leak points.

Reply #529432 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

dave barlow sucks, sorry but he was disappointing last season!

Reply #529433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought he sucked as well, although he shot 46% from 3.
If he can do that and has the size/strength to guard power forwards he has a useful skill set.

Reply #529434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That team will give up 2.0 pop and no one will rebound.

Reply #529435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow's not a starter level player anymore, I'd use him as Blanchfield's back up.

Reply #529439 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Crocs fans hearts breaking all across townsville, thanks mike Kelly! Good luck to vinnie obviously a chance to earn good dollars in the big smoke, my favourite crocs player and probably only one more good season off being a top tier Aussie in the Nbl.

Reply #529440 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ouch.

Reply #529496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike kelly doing his job. What he thinks is best for his new club. If Crocs can't keep players its their problem.

Reply #529499 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Just being sarcastic anon, of course mike is doing what is right for his new club, just as Todd is doing for his future. They are both very highly thought of in Townsville and will be missed, that's all.

Reply #529543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754