Matthew
Years ago

Perth Wildcats vs New Zealand Breakers , 27 Nov

Looking forward to seeing Captain Martin back for tonights game. Beal seems to be playing better away from home then at home and Casey is finding his form!.

Redhage and Hire have been helping out. Im just a bit worried Damian is coming back too early.

I wont tip a winner Im just glad to see some Ball tonight.

Also for anyone thinking of attending by train, I just called Transperth and at the moment there are no delays of trains tonight

(We have had issues recently with poor train services/non existent at night)

Topic #38555 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

PER $1.55
NZB $2.45

Margin -3.5

Over/Under: 164.5

NZ a tad underrated there IMO - they're a different team since Webster has slotted back in, but this should be a good even contest.
Webster & Jackson had their way with us last time, so Damo being back will be particularly handy for this one.
I share your concern about him, Matthew. I want to see him in a NASA-certified space helmet tonight.

Reply #566921 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

Full face mask plus snipers in case Conklin is in the building at all.

Reply #566922 | Report this post

Pat  
Years ago

Actually, the NBL needs to implement padded arm sleeves for Conklin, Dwight Howard style.

Reply #566923 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Perth can not afford another slow start like in NZ and play catchup. Granted they almost ran them down, but you are playing with fire by playing catchup ball against this NZ team which deadly on the offensive end.

Reply #566924 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth need to make someone other than Webster and Abercrombie beat them, especially without Wesley in the low block. Melbourne shut those two down in the second quarter last week and NZ struggled to score, but it's easier said than done for four quarters.

Reply #566925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Perth's bigs will struggle in this game against the NZ bigs. Perth have been grabbing some easy boards lately and especially offensive boards. Think NZ escape Perth with a victory tonight. Great game.

Reply #566929 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pfff... Nate will smash everyone in his path and continue to get all the boards he wants :)

Reply #566932 | Report this post

Hogwash 77  
Years ago

I also think New Zealand will he this one in a close one. Nate Jawai to be terrible, again

Reply #566933 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This is worth watching. Two top 4 teams going at it.

Can Charles Jackson stay out of foul trouble? I think he's a bit nimble and athletic for Jawai at NZ's offensive end, so if he can stay out of foul trouble he could be the one to do some damage other than the usual suspects.

Reply #566936 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I loved the Jawai-Pledger battles last time, can't wait to see them go at it again too.

Reply #566938 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

15 & 10 in a very efficient 24 minutes against us, last game by Jackson.
I'd like to think we'll be more conscious of him as a result of that game. Sit him on his arse if he tries any of that sneaky crap (scoring and rebounding) against us tonight.

Reply #566940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth by 6

Reply #566943 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'm hopeful NZ will get up for this one but aren't going to hold my breath.

Reply #566944 | Report this post

"PER $1.55
NZB $2.45"

NZB $3.45 1-10...

Reply #566957 | Report this post

Perth by 16.

AJ flying over with Breakers to check out Willeton pre-season training.

Reply #566974 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Wesley still not back for us?

Reply #566975 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Think Cats will get some calls and all the momentum at home. Should win this one, pity the odds arent more even though because they aren't $1.60ish sure enough for me.

Reply #566979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson has asked Pledger to take out Jawai in revenge for the Abercrombie hit. Because you know, that's just being sporting.

Reply #566981 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Tai Wesley has an infected liver from his appendix surgery I believe.
He's probably out for a another couple of rounds which is a pity as his inside game would have come in handy tonight.

NZ will need to win the rebound count to have a chance and will need Pledger and Abercrombie to be aggressive offensively and Ced Jackson to not settle for jump shots.
Perth will need to shut down Webster, Abercrombie and Bartlett from the perimeter and box out for 40mins.

Reply #566983 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Tipping OT. Perth by 2 in the OT.

Webster to hit a three to tie in regulation.

Reply #566986 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

I'm stunned how much Prather has improved

Reply #567030 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Pledger fantastic defence.

Jawai and Gleeson whinging but Pledger is simply playing great defence. Straight up and vertical.

Prather is nice and has found when and where he can get his shots.

Great to see Martin back

Reply #567031 | Report this post

Hansi  
Years ago

Refs are ruining this game

Reply #567035 | Report this post

tom  
Years ago

10 free throws for the Breakers to 0 for Perth.

Reply #567036 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson has absolutely NO jump shot at all.

Thats why he couldnt make a career in the NBA...They just sag off him.

Reply #567037 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

LOL, this league has LOST the plot....

HOW THE FU#CK was that 2 Fts to Prather? He didnt have the ball LOL..

Reply #567038 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Prather is a good story. A guy who looked lost but found his game.

Reply #567039 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

So let me get this straight....

Prather WITHOUT THE BALL, was running towards the rim and the Perth player went to pass it to him....The Breakers player fouled him when Prather didnt have the ball...

He gets 2 FTs...

LOL then Webster shooting a 3 after he lets go of the ball and is on the back end of his shot gets fouled and ball on the side.

I swear this league has the most incompetent officials

Reply #567040 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Pet hate is how Perth's bench jump up and come running out on the court every time someone does something semi-good. Yes I know they're hyped but its so annoying! Haha.

As an aside, its pretty much impossible to defend the post. Can't breathe on someone without being whistled. Pledge did it well earlier but surprised they didnt call something.

The league is becoming way too soft on interior defence. Its borderline crisis.

Reply #567041 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow. That call on Charles Jackson where Matty got the and1. Seriously, you can't defend the post anymore. Might as well just give up the two and save the foul.

Reply #567042 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Perth finally using their superior interior to the Breakers. You have to beat a great team like the Breakers by using you're bigs.

Reply #567043 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

No wonder this league is the laughing stock of world basketball...

The ONLY reason why ANY import would come here is because they have been rejected from any other league OR to come here for the Australian life style over summer.

They wouldnt come here rejecting other offers.

Reply #567045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The muppets refsloool

Reply #567046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some incredibly soft fouls been called. Looks like the refs want to be the center of attention.

Reply #567047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impressive effort by Perth's bigs in second half of the quarter. Perth established their post game.

Reply #567048 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

I have absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind referees bet on games...No dount...easy way to supplement to there income..There is no other way to describe this sheer incompetence.

Reply #567050 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson might not be much of a jump-shooter but you can't underrate the role he is playing in Webster's current MVP form. Webster is able to thrive on the offensive end in part because of Jackson's ability to beat his man off the dribble and cause defensive rotations.

Also as an aside that Perth Arena courtside announcer certainly likes to talk ...

Reply #567054 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

Looks like Prather has taken the ass kicking he got from Abercombie in NZ to heart.

Reply #567057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buttcrack Bartlett is a one trick player

Reply #567061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather fouled out. Perth are in trouble

Reply #567063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once Jawai gets in good enuogh shape along with Damo and throw in the improved Prather into the mix this Cats team are going to be hard to crack.

Reply #567065 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Well done to the Cats.

Reply #567066 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

I still cant get over how Prather got awarded 2 free throws when he didnt have the ball and he was getting a pass. They werent in the penalty either.

Then Webster was fouled shooting a 3 pointer and the Breakers got the ball from the side

That sequence sums up with this league is...

Incompetence.

Reply #567067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz pledger was ordinary tonight. Missed so many bunnies near the ring. And to those who said Abercrombie was a better player than prather that couldn't look further from the truth. Not to mention prather did a good defensive job on Webster and impresses me with his passing too. The drop off pass to nate for the jam showed good composure and awareness. And he seems to get to the hole with ease on offense. Great pickup

Reply #567069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The breakers would be well served getting a shooting coach for Cedric. The ball comes out of his hand with side spin. Some of those ft misses were atrocious

Reply #567070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An underrated part of the wildcats resurgence is the form of tommy Jervis. Playing outstanding ball on both ends. Going against jawai at practice must've lifted his game. He's playing better than a lot of starting centres.

Reply #567071 | Report this post

three points  
Years ago

I think the game was won in the 2nd when the Cats decided to use that huge frontline. Jawai and Knight just went to work from then on. This sets up a great game on Wednesday simply because Perth wins they get a 3 game buffer on the Breaker and take the series which could be huge at season end or if the Breakers win ties the series and pull within a game of Perth.

Eitherway it will be a great game.

Reply #567073 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Free throws.

Free throws.

Gosh. NZ were atrocious from the line. These guys play bball every day, and still barely crack 50%. Twice in that crucial last 5 or so minutes they missed both, and it was a huge blow to their momentum.

Still, good effort from Perth. Two quality sides.

Reply #567074 | Report this post

sixers147  
Years ago

Another dog act by the wildcats and Greg Hire, game was won and he shoots a half court shot on the buzzer I mean why do that, that's why Ervin and the sixers got angry about 2 years ago, and their fans wonder why their team has little respect from other fans.

Reply #567078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs... both ways made atrocious calls. It was miss or butcher the obvious decision a couple times. Then reflect and two plays later make another shocker to make up for the one you now are pretty sure was wrong... I really want to say they are bias against my team, but they are really just abysmal. Also did anyone else notice the missed cross court at the opening tip? How do you miss that?

Reply #567079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah definitely thought the refs tried with a few "make up" calls today. Game didn't have a great flow to it and often that's the refs at work.

Reply #567080 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@sixers147- this has been covered to death on this forum but I'll bite. How is it considered a dog act and are you trying to tell me your team does not do this ? It's s close league , every single point counts. If A team can play defense till the last second why can't the other team jack up a shot. There's just no logic there at all.

Reply #567081 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Sixer147

Shooting a basketball in a game of basketball...Wow...how low can Greg Hire go.

Well done idiot.

Reply #567082 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Was wondering how much ref bashing would be waiting in this thread when I got home. Yep, a fairly appropriate amount. Didn't think they did a great job tonight.
Didn't think the Breakers did a great job down the stretch either. They could have stolen that one had they hit their free throws & layups.

Very pleased that Damo got through unscathed.

Hope Webster is ok.

Reply #567083 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth won, obviously it must be the refs' fault. ROFL

Cats were just too consistently better for most of the game. Had it almost in the bag by the end of the 3rd quarter.
Did their best to piss away the lead in the last few minutes, but for once things rolled their way.

As for the idiot anonytrolls above; as you said Webster was fouled well after he made his shot, ie clearly not in the act of shooting, so why on earth would he get FT's?

Not sure about Damo? Played a couple of minutes then stayed on the bench. Makes me wonder if he came back too soon and copped a jolt?

Reply #567087 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the league has descended back into 2012/13 in the past two weeks. I love this league but every game this round has been so scrappy it's difficult to watch. Refs make a rod for their backs by letting so much go and then plucking out a foul here or there. The poor players must have no idea what is and isn't legal at the moment.

Reply #567089 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So everyone's bashing the refs, and nobody's mentioned this?

That's just beyond terrible.

Reply #567091 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was funny. I don't know whether they were still getting to position or just couldn't believe what they saw!!

Reply #567093 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The guy closest to the camera has a clear look at it. Don't know what the responsibilities of each ref are, though.

And yeah, I actually had to check with the person sitting next to me whether it'd actually happened, because I just couldn't believe something that blatant was missed by the refs and the crowd didn't seem to bothered either. I've only watched enough of the game on TV to capture that, but neither commentator seems to have noticed.

Reply #567095 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Haha, just noticed you can actually see Cedric Jackson being the only person in the building with a clue, and signalling to Vukona not to pass him the ball. And then immediately just rolling with it when it's thrown. Class.

Reply #567096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is sixers 147 just trying to be funny surely nobody is that stupid

Reply #567100 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Surely the dog act was Jawai recklessly elbowing Vukona in the face? ;-)

Reply #567101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers for the clip "Koberulz "

Reply #567102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs didn't miss free throws tonight.....the breakers did.

Reply #567103 | Report this post

Paul, as Jawai hit Vukona in the moustache then the tribunal has until the end of Monday to find him guilty or otherwise there will be no evidence.

Reply #567109 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

NZ's 13 missed free throws to the Wildcats' 3 really hurts.

Reply #567110 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Congrats to Perth on grinding out the win.
I also think it'll be a Wildcats Vs Breakers Grand Final.

Reply #567112 | Report this post

6ers  
Years ago

Vukona did a double look back in dis-beliefe

Reply #567114 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Koberulz I did see that, totally forgot about it! Haha yeah so dam obvious, no one said anything and I was like did that even happen!

Reply #567119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754