Anonymous
Years ago

Will Ben Simmons play at the Rio Olympics?

A lot of people seem divided on whether Ben will play for the Boomers at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

A lot of comments appear to guesses or gut feelings.

But does anyone know whether BA have actually discussed this with him?

Has he said in any interviews that he wants to play for us next year?

Has anyone got any genuine information with substance, rather than just an opinion?

Topic #38557 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he does we are a chance to medal.no doubting he wants to.

Reply #566989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dunno if he will play...
It's after the draft. I'm not sure the team who picks him at 1 will want him to.

If he does... Definite starter at pf or sf.
Delly/mills/Simmons/motum/Bogut
Or
Delly/mills/Broekhoff/Simmons/Bogut

Reply #566990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joking for sure
So who scores if you start Delly,Simmons and Bougt.

Reply #566992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmm... Maybe Mills and Baynes

Reply #566993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It depends on how they play the game.
Delly can become more selfish along with Simmons and Bogut.
This ain't the cavs, Spurs or warriors. It's the boomers...

Reply #566994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This ain't the cavs, Spurs or warriors"

Wow none of us knew that genius

Reply #567000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP this forum is more about opinion then substance. I'm not sure what you're expecting... perhaps a Simmons family member to give us the insdie word on his plans.

Reply #567004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be nice ;-)

Reply #567005 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Ben Simmons has been dominant in 5 college games against teams not worthy of shining the shoes of the top world basketball teams.

I think naming him a Boomers starter is just a tad premature.

For all his talent, and he has a lot, he will be outmuscled by top Euro bigs, and they will scout him and force him to shoot from outside.

Ben Simmons has a great future ahead, but his shooting is a glaring weakness right now. I would have him on the bench after Motum.

Reply #567007 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Don't get too excited about Simmons playing such a major role in his first major tournament with the Boomers. Mills and Bogut exploded onto the Boomers team at a similar age, but the Boomers were weaker in those teams and the specific roles of each player filled major voids on the team.

I anticipate Broekhoff to hold onto his starting position. Broekhoff provides a deadly perimeter shot, strong rebounding (especially for his size), and reliable defense. He is so underrated in Boomers discussions. This season has an eFG% of 65% in Euroleague. Simmons might be a multi-skilled beast, but I would rate Broekhoff role as being more valuable to this team in the starting lineup. Meanwhile, Ingles already has some point forward responsibilities. Ingles is a veteran presence who can move the ball well and hit the outside shot. While Simmons court vision and passing is very impressive, Simmons won't usurp Ingles role in the starting lineup just yet. At the 4 spot, Simmons is competing against some veteran stretch 4s. Lemanis is well known for his use of stretch 4s. Simmons is an anti-stretch 4, a "sag 4", with practically no perimeter shot whatsoever. While the Boomers are relatively weak at the 4, we also need more shooters. Can Simmons provide enough in other areas to justify a starting 4-man role? He is competing against Bairstow, a workhorse with an ever-improving perimeter shot, and Motum, a mobile stretch 4 averaging 14ppg in Euroleague this season.

Simmons will be very useful when Lemanis wants a running game. His explosiveness in starting a fast break off a defensive board is awesome. When the pace of the game is slowed down, reliant on half-court sets, I wouldn't expect to see Simmons much on court.

Let Simmons get some experience at international level first. As dominant as he appears at college level, he still needs to develop more to prove his value at international level, especially on an established team that is not built around him. LSU is using Simmons as a point forward, surrounded by perimeter shooters. That appears to maximise his effectiveness, but it's not the role he will see on the Boomers team. If Simmons continues to develop in the way that he has, he might be able to work his way into the Boomers main rotation for the Olympics.

Will he start in Rio? Doubtful, in my mind. The next World Cup? Probably.

Reply #567010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His shot should develop significantly over the next year?

Reply #567011 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Most recent reports say that his 3 point shot, at least, is still atrocious. One reporter last week checked him out in warmups before the game, shooting just 5 of 27 without defense, with 2 of those makes being unorthodox shots that wouldn't happen in game situations. Give him some time. The spotlight is already on his lack of jump shot. He will no doubt be working hard on it. Can you think of many examples of players that went from a non-existent perimeter shot to a reliable perimeter shot in the space of a year?

Reply #567013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons can score no problem. He is being put under the microscope and picked apart to find any slight weakness but he has an extremely well rounded game for his age. Who wants their big man shooting 3's anyway? A year will change a lot.

Reply #567044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well anon, I'd say all the NBA teams who are actually interested in winning basketball games want their big men shooting threes. Thibodeau's defensive schemes are broadly employed around the league now and playing two guys who can't hit shots at range has become extremely difficult.

Simmons will add the shot in time, no. 1 picks might be the next big thing but they're the next one not the current one for a reason. He's 5-7 years away from reaching the age at which we think of basketball players as starting to peak, and I'm pretty sure that with the resources available to him, he'll improve a huge amount in that time. He could be the best player in the world come 2024.

Reply #567068 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Who wants their big shooting 3s?

In 2015, everyone... because everyone else has got one who can.

Ben Simmons will be the go-to guy for the Boomers one day, just not at the 2016 Olympics.

People were saying Exum should be starting at the World Cup, and we saw from his minutes on court that it would have been a catastrophe for the team.

Let Simmons develop, but him on the team near the 7-10 spot and let him grow from there.

Reply #567076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark -e-mark. Pick simmons and exum when they are 30s, They Should be ready by then. LOL

Reply #567084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I rang BA this morning and they said they have sat him down over coffee and flat out asked him if he wants in for Rio..... is the OP serious?? He is nearly the guaranteed #1 and your asking if anyone knows if BA have actually asked him??? What a douche. Sometimes this forum brings out the tards seriously

Reply #567106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because we see Deandre, Dwight, Griffin, Duncan, Lee, Noah, Jefferson, ibaka, faried, gasol, milsap etc. taking plenty of 3 point shots.

Deandre Jordan has gone seasons without taking any form of jumpshot. Obviously a size difference but I think if you are scratching if you are saying his game is limited. Give him a year and he'll continue to develop in leaps and bounds like he has in the past.

The kid is a freak and I reckon he will dominate just like Anthony Davis did at that age.

Reply #567122 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

At least half of those guys do take threes regularly actually.

The three ball is more important in international ball, but is definitely becoming key in the NBA.

Deandre Jordan has Blake next to him knocking down threes, Bogut has green, Dwight has any of the regular pfs at houston.

I don't think it's going to be a massive issue as time goes on for Ben, but until he's elite at everything else, the lack of any shooting will be an issue for him

Reply #567128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least half regularly take 3 point shots? Where is that half?:

3pt attempts per game
Jefferson 0
Griffin 0.6
Ibaka 1.5
Noah 0
Faried 0
Duncan 0.1
Deandre 0
Millsap 3.4
P Gasol 0.5
M Gasol 0.2

My point is that people are over analyzing the kid. who cares if he is not a good three point shooter when he has so many other freakish qualities.

Reply #567132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@RJD

Great example of player going from zero to hero on the shot is Blake Griffen copped the same flack and its a main staple of his score now.

Reply #567133 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I thought pau and Blake shot more threes, but at least they force defenders to come and defend them and have very good mid range shots, along with Jefferson, Duncan and Marc. Simmons doesn't have that.

You're also comparing him to centres. He may be a pf, sf or something new he ain't a centre.

I'm not saying he's no good, all I'm saying is the lack of a shot will definitely hurt making the Boomers next season and be an issue early in pro career.

Speaking strictly of international ball, even Team USA spends a lot of time in small ball with guys like melo, LeBron and kd in the four spot

Reply #567145 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

3 pointers are one thing. I haven't even seen the kid hit a 15 footer.

Reply #567150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum and Simmons should be starters in Rio.

Reply #567151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boomer Team for 2020 olympics

humphries
thon maker
simmons
adel
exum

Deng Gak
Matur maker
Bolden
Delly
Mcdowell-white
Majok Majok
pinder

this team can beat the USA in 2020 olympics.

Reply #567152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons will be a triple double machine in the nba. who cares
if he can not shoot the 3s. Simmons should be Definite starter in Rio for the boomers.

Reply #567153 | Report this post

simmons is playing against boys not men. Give the kid a chance to mature. All this pumping him up will be detremental in the long term.

How many kids starring in U18s, make it straight away in the NBL??????

Reply #567157 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

"humphries
thon maker
simmons
adel
exum

Deng Gak
Matur maker
Bolden
Delly
Mcdowell-white
Majok Majok
pinder

this team can beat the USA in 2020 olympics:

You don't know what any of these kids are going to be like in 5 years. You also have cut out some guys who will likely still be in their primes in 5 years time. To say the team can beat USA is reaching, you don't even know that these guys will make the NBL level.

"Exum and Simmons should be starters in Rio."

Exum hasn't done anything to justify starting yet. Did you watch him at the World Cup?

Reply #567167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills will be 32, Broekhoff and Motum will be 30, even Baynes will only be 34 in 2020 and you seriously want to leave them out for kids who have done absolutely nothing to this point? Jonah Bolden??! Who's averaging 3.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.6 turnovers per game in COLLEGE? Matur Maker who's still in high school? McDowell-White who may be spectacular and may never play professional basketball because he doesn't realise that he's not already good enough? Deng Adel who's averaging 4.5 points, 3.5 boards and 2.5 turnovers at Louisville? My god I hope you were just looking for a response like this because if you're serious you're an idiot.

Reply #567173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is 30 and definitely won't be there for the next one...
Anderson for sure his last tournament. At 35...

All who are currently in their mid 20s are possibles for 2019 and 2020.
Delly, mills, broekhoff, motum, bairstow, Goulding, gliddon

Probably no ingles, Newley, Bogut, baynes, Anderson, jawai, Gibson, martin

Young nba guys like Simmons and exum, maybe humphries will be added.
Guys from college and Nbl etc. drmic and majok are possibilities...

2019/2020 Maybe... Who knows...
Delly/exum
Mills/Goulding/gliddon
Simmons/Broekhoff
Motum/bairstow/majok
Ogilvy/humphries

Reply #567178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 567173,

maybe you should read this article which
basically recommended the same young players I have mentioned. They will be major contrubutors for the boomers in 2020.

http://pickandroll.com.au/aussie-boomers-2020-the-faces-of-our-future/

Reply #567244 | Report this post

hm  
Years ago

Well if it is written by Pick and Roll it MUST be true! LOL.

it's a fan site, dude

Reply #567255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ cheers GWB

Reply #567272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #567152

re: Will Ben Simmons play at the Rio Olympics?

boomer Team for 2020 olympics

humphries
thon maker
simmons
adel
exum

Deng Gak
Matur maker
Bolden
Delly
Mcdowell-white
Majok Majok
pinder

this team can beat the USA in 2020 olympics.

Quite possible the stupidest comment ever written on these forums haha. Half of those players will struggle to make the nbl, and you think they will beat the usa in 2020??? hahahaha

Reply #567273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That 2020 team listed above has been copied from another website lol.
Simmons, Exum, Dellavedova and most likely Humphries will be there the rest are pure speculation at this point.

Mills (32)
Broekhoff (30)
Bairstow (30)
Motum (30)
All figure to be in contention for 2020

Reply #567317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 567317

No Need for me to copy the list of players. They are the best young players emerging from down under.I did not include Daniel mading, Emanuel Malou and Gorjok Gak who will also
be in contention for the 2020 boomers squad.

Reply #567333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 567317

No Need for me to copy the list of players. They are the best young players emerging from down under.I did not include Daniel mading, Emanuel Malou and Gorjok Gak who will also
be in contention for the 2020 boomers squad.

Reply #567334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that you say "from down under" suggests you don't live in Australia and are speculating.

Can you name one current Centre of Excellence athlete?

Reply #567336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015 COE squad.

George Blagojevic, jayden hodgson, deng gak, ,jordan hunter.
tom fullarton. harry froling. tanner krebs.

Reply #567339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And who will be there in 2016? (That squad you listed isn't the full playing squad for 2015 by the way, we have more than 7 athletes at the COE)

Reply #567340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Australian describes Australians as being "from down under" so you are clearly from overseas and are doing Internet research and basing your assumptions on nothing else. Which means you also have never seen our COE Athletes playing (they go there to develop as future Boomers you know)

Reply #567342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No Need for me to copy the list of players. They are the best young players emerging from down under.I did not include Daniel mading, Emanuel Malou and Gorjok Gak who will also
be in contention for the 2020 boomers squad."

And what are you basing this on?

Do you watch NBL games consistently and see that at least a few of these guys could play in 2020 for the Boomers?

Have you seen Broekhoff, Motum, Bairstow and all of our Other Aussies playing Division 1 College ball at the moment?

All current Boomers except for Bogut, Andersen and Newley will still be in good enough shape to represent us in 2020.

Those guys you mentioned would all have to be better in 2020. I would say POSSIBLY a few but certainly not all

Reply #567344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 567342

I am more than happy to have a $1000 bet with you that
I am an Aussie , by showing you my Aussie passport.

Reply #567347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you say to your mates in conversation "We, from down under"?

I am 40 years old and have never heard any Aussie call us from down under in this country.

Reply #567348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares if he is from 'down under' or not. I don't know any centre of excellence players. his list is ok but maybe more so 2022 but even then its still a guessing game at this stage.

Reply #567371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3rd loss in a row today for LSU

Reply #567726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons 7 turnovers and 4/15 FG.
Not hating but clearly he has got a lot of improving to do.

Reply #567727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He seemed non existent ...
Yet he still put up 15 points, 18 rebounds and 4 assists.

Reply #567780 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I love the logic that no Australian refers to the country as being downunder! Remind me, where are Men at Work from?

Reply #567787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now Ben Simmons has haters

Reply #567788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont worry. simmons will be an nba all star. possibly nba mvp.

Reply #567796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben had a great game today!!

Reply #568290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be ready for Rio.
It all comes down to his availability

Reply #568295 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754