Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney sack Cotter

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/sydney-kings-fire-head-coach-damien-cotter-after-losing-16-of-past-19-nbl-games/story-e6frf3f3-1227626761036

According to the article sources told fox sports of the sacking, but also quotes Cotter "I'm very fortunate to have been part of the Kings"

Topic #38561 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will replace him I wonder? The depth of Australian coaching talent is extremely shallow. You only have mug ex-players (Anstey, Heal) or mug junior coaches who have no idea how to handle the pros (Clarke, Cotter).

Reply #567187 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Im sure a new coach is all they needed all along. Childress missing games, Markovic not working out, Harrington taking half the games he was here to get in shape.... any other coach wouldve been able to overcome that stuff and get a winning record. If they were going to sack him, dont be weak and say he has the support so cliched.

Reply #567188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity seebohm isn't available...
good coach.

Reply #567189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Kobe24. Got absolutely screwed with an clueless ownership group who wouldn't even let him have any input into the team he wanted. Tim Hudson was responsible for the Markovic disaster and brought in Marcus Thornton even when anyone with an ounce of basketball sense knew they needed an experienced import point guard. Plus add all the injuries the guy has had to deal with and the sad fact is he never had a chance. Just more stupid decisions by the most pathetic organisation in the NBL.

Reply #567191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Markovic turn crap so quickly?

Reply #567193 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

He has no idea as a coach. Down I think 3 with 40 seconds and he just stands there on sidelines Wednesday and does nothing. Where's the urgency from him from the bench.

Reply #567194 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Anon, Markovic was rubbish in Tville,what were you watching?

Reply #567195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't like cotter as a coach at Nbl or junior level.
Better that his gone...

Reply #567200 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are extenuating circumstances with Markovic so tread lightly there.

Reply #567202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough

Reply #567203 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

FFS its been well documented Markovic has some mental health issues he has been dealing with. Read between the lines there. I just think thats like cutting Alvin Gentry for the Pelicans start when Davis has been out. Directing of his tactics in close games is one thing, but not exactly sackable offences. Club wanted W's he had no way to get them and theyve cracked it. Cant think of a coach who could've got those wins though.

Reply #567204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't the Kings just bring in an American coach, his brother high up in the nba, maybe he could do it.
Ben Knight is an assistant.

Reply #567206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jj. Then Goorj.

Reply #567207 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ben knight is certainky not capable.he just crawls and sucks his way in.
They just bought in an Nba guy so don't be surprised or maybe Timmy will takeover since he picked the team.
Maybe they will gice minnie me(jacob) a go but that wouldn't be a great decision either

Reply #567210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jj knows far more than most current Nbl coaches.

Reply #567211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Knight? Grabs popcorn......

Reply #567215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight is about as good as soh. Son of hudson

Reply #567217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The yank will be the new head coach. Cotter wanted Lisch. Rejected. Thats how bad the hudsons are. They wanted an import with dreads who can dunk. Sound familiar?

Reply #567221 | Report this post

kings have a recent history of bringing in 1st time coaches at NBL level. None of the last 3 have been successful.

It is not the fault of the coaches for taking the opportunity. The Kings need an experienced , successful coach, not a coach starting out.

Reply #567224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Kobe24

Reply #567226 | Report this post

Mark-e-Mark  
Years ago

Yeah, He's losing a lot
So he's gotta lose his spot
Here's the sack..

Here's the sack
Here's the sack

Reply #567237 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Personally I probably would have just let him ride out the season (it appears to be a bit of a lost cause at this point - bottom of the table with most remaining games on the road), and then make the change. He had some bad luck with injuries/players being out (Childress, Markovic), integrating others on the fly (primarily Harrington), and what appears to be a general dysfunction within the team.

Part of that last point potentially is on Cotter, but it is the team he was given. In saying that, his management in-game seemed to be puzzling at times (in my opinion, and granted I am no coaching expert) and he appeared to be unable or unwilling to make adjustments, and most certainly appeared unable to light a fire under his players at times (a lack of leadership perhaps?). The players at the very least seemed unaware of what they should have been doing, and an overall lack of purpose for stretches, which I imagine a coach is largely responsible for.

Personally I'd be happy just to see effort (a la Townsville, despite being overmatched on the regular) and a semblance of direction, clear & concise.

Reply #567239 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I'm hearing Rucker!!!!

Reply #567240 | Report this post

Rucker???? another 1st timer at this level??

surely NOT!!!!

Reply #567241 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Nice guy, but the players need a coach that will fire them up. The other teams just appear faster, more aggressive, better conditioning, and confident. The coach was not able to react to how the game was being played. He appeared to be unable or unwilling to make adjustments. There was too much - shoot the 3 and no rebounders in sight, or give the ball to Childress for a one on one. It was not good when the ex-Kings can defeat the Kings, with confidence, and only 1 import and Martin, Ellis and Demos injured. It shows that a coach does make a difference.

Reply #567243 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bevin will be wetting himself for this gig next year.

Reply #567246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That whole team needs a clean out. Every year they will challenge and every year we see individuals playing for themselves and the team losing. When Garlep a "hussel" guy is consistently in the best 3 every game, you have issues that go beyond the coach

Reply #567253 | Report this post

Ruzz  
Years ago

I think Wortho would be an excellent choice for the Kings coaching spot! He is so loveable. He knows and does everything better than anyone else. Wortho even helps the refs out whenever He can. Another skill of His is He can jump so high they use Him for changing light bulbs in the stadium.

Reply #567256 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

James Hird? hahaha

Reply #567259 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't think bevo would do it.
He is doing well with Hawks and would not want to deal with the Hudsons.
He had been sounded out by them and look what happened.
Plus he had lisch wanting to play for him,why would lisch want to go to Kings.
Also Penney wanted to play for him as wellabd look how white,ellis and Weekes are going.
So it is obvious he has players wanting to play for him unlike players not wanting to rush to the kings if timmy is selecting players.

Reply #567261 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So much for Cotter having support from the board till end of season.
Hiw many times do we hear that in sport.
I feel sorry for Cotter.

Reply #567262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whete was the management at the team dinner the other night? Missing. Next say cotter got the sack. The new yank will coach. He isnt up to it.

Reply #567265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The decision isn't attracting much support on social media:

Josh Childress:

It's extremely disappointing to have this happen. @damiancotter is a good coach and a good man.

Andrew Bogut:
Sydney Kings fired Cotter already? Horrible decision......

Shane Heal:
Has Kings Chairman PHIL Hudson had 5 GMs & 4 coaches in his 6th season running the club? Is this right? 1 playoff? #Leadership#Vision#NoIdea

Boti Nagy:
Sadly, @SydneyKings coach @damiancotter has confirmed the club has "let him go". Dreadful decision by a bunch of micro-managing muppets.

Matt McQuade:
@boti_nagy @damiancotter just incredibly disappointing. All I can do is shake my head.

Liam Santamaria:
Amazed @damiancotter wasn't allowed to coach out remainder of contract (ROS). Only had Chill for 2 games this season & Thornton is McRae 2.0

Roy Ward:
In @NBL the rule remains those who pay the bills have final say. I respect that but am shattered for @damiancotter - deserved better #NBL16

Reply #567269 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

While I didn't think he had enough control over the team's play, I reckon the problem was not the coach.

Sydney culture and expectations are too much like LA's, and the ownership & management seem to me to be working too much against ANY coach of the Kings.

Good luck to the replacement.

If the old saying that effort often beats skills, and attitude beats them both is right, then at least getting their heads right will make an improvement

Reply #567270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is expected to give the kings a royal serve next week.

Reply #567277 | Report this post

I think Hammer nailed it.

Reply #567278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people are using this more to have a shot at the inept Kings management than anything else. Cotter had shown he wasn't up to it as a coach at this level.

Reply #567280 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

If this decision contributes to Childress not returning then it is an epic f**k up.

Reply #567281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I suspect Childress gave his okay on it. If they didn't get his opinion before doing this they're complete idiots.

Reply #567282 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Kings need to have a major rethink, not just think boning the coach is going to solve everything. They can't afford another year with a dud 2nd import and a poorly assembled roster.

Reply #567283 | Report this post

Callisto 75  
Years ago

With Markovic if he wasn't injured I could understand bringing in Thornton. I think a problem however is having four small guards - Markovic, Cadee, Carter and Thornton. I would preferred a 2/3 instead of a combo to Thornton - I'm sure Cotter would've.

Be interesting to see what Cotter does next.

Reply #567297 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

4 Coaches in 6 seasons now for the Kings.

Reply #567306 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Having the great Adrian Hurley as a mentor on the Kings roster certainly hasn't helped.
Do they sack him too or keep him on to mnerntoir the nbew head coach.

Reply #567309 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah, Hurley has been a mentor ever since Cotter took the job, it doesn't seem to have helped, and wasn'tthe Thunderbirds assistant supposed to be a guru at something when he was signed as well?

People saying that Cotter is a good guy and a great coach and not to blame need to provide some proof I think that Cotter was actually a good coach and what he actually did that made a difference, as there are plenty of examples of him not having a clue... Poor subs, unstructured team on the court, no defensive mindset, team regularly breaking down and losing leads, but where can we say "oh look what he did there, that's some really good coaching"? I'm serious, there's been no stretch of time that we can look at the Kings team since he's been coaching and go "we can attribute this to the good coaching of Cotter and what he's injected into the team..."

Reply #567375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Wookiee. These people piling on are really going after the Kings management in their veiled defence of Cotter who was probably fortunate to last as long as he did.

I watched enough Kings games with his bizarre decisions/non-decisions to see he was out of his depth. Perhaps the biggest thing was the players poor attitude on court it has seemed like they haven't given a stuff all season with minimal effort which the coach has to take responsibility for. They certainly didn't care about him enough to play hard for him.

Reply #567393 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

While your agreement is appreciated, Anon, (and shows that anons CAN be pretty cluey!) that's not to say that the management haven't done anything wrong and there aren't really huge problems that need to be fixed at ownership/management levels...

Reply #567667 | Report this post

fridays game will be very interesting. We should see some evidence showing if the sacking of Cotter was the correct decision.

Reply #567685 | Report this post

lolball  
Years ago

you must be joking, how?
the new coach has had less than a week as "head coach"
yea he has been around the team, but hasnt been able to implement his stuff (offensive and defensive systems)
As much as Cairns are the dominating force of the league they have their structures in place and are cruising along

Reply #567690 | Report this post

lolball. the kings have played with no effort in defense. I hope to see more effort. A new coach can get that in a wk. It is all round effort that needs improving before the structures.

AJ 2 rebounds last game. A new coach in a wk can make it clear an improvement is required.

Offense was very one out. A new coach in a wk can work on sticking to team structure and get an improvement.

One wk with a new coach should see an improvement if the fault of the poor performance lay with Cotter.

Reply #567699 | Report this post

juno39  
Years ago

I wonder who the Kings Management are going to blame next? Will Joe Connelly be replaced in a few weeks if he doesn't get the wins they want? Or will the Kings Management ride the season out with the replacement coach if they stay languishing on the bottom of the ladder?

The driver of the bus (whether it's Cotter or Donnelly) can't be the problem if all their passengers are playing by themselves in the back of the bus. At training, the team trains and plays as a team; in game situations, a rush of blood to the head seems to take the team structure out of the equation and the players play a one on one style of play.

What the players are told to do, and what they actually do on court is the problem. You may say this is the coach's fault, but it's not his head that is suffering the rush of blood to it.

If you have faith in your players (and Cotter had that faith) then it is up to the players to reward that faith by doing what Cotter asked them to do. Regardless. Without question. Therein IMO lies the problem.

The players get paid regardless of the job they do. Why not put them on performance bonus rather than a fixed salary. Perhaps that incentive will have them listening to the coach and actually trying to implement his directions.

For all of the armchair critics out there let them (as Childress said) walk a mile in the shoes of those guys who are trying their guts out for the Kings. If the armchair critics are such great coaches and if they don't suffer any injuries to their bodies that they didn't ask for, let them be the first people to step up to the plate.

Oh, and let them be the first ones to cop a serve from all of us who don't know how to coach or to play like these guys do. See if they like being criticised.

Damian Cotter, go you good thing. You were dealt a shitty hand and if someone can lie to your face one day and then push the knife into your back the next day, you are better off not being involved with the Kings. You are a great coach. You know it and I know it. A lot of people know it.

@JoshChildress, you were the best thing to happen to the NBL and the Kings in a long time. Sorry you keep getting injured but someone hacking at your hands and roughing you up some, does not help. Don't let the bastards get you down. And thanks for being a great player and a gentlemen in the league.

@DamianCotter, one door closes ... another one opens; you and Childress should open a business together and leave the naysayers to eat your dust.

Reply #569127 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wonder who the Kings Management are going to blame next?
The refs, apparently.

Reply #569130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a poisoned chalice. Someone offers you the Kings HC position. Refuse, unlikely. Then you need to put up with all the dickhead owners and the Hudsons telling you, you cant' hire Lisch and others.

Reply #569160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754