Ricky
Years ago

How to pronounce Majok Majok?

Pronounced Majook Majook or Majock Majock.

Asking the hard hitting questions.

Topic #38929 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

It's pronounced muh-JOOK.

Reply #576201 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Something that really annoys me with commentators is that they will refer to a player by their last name 95% of the time but when it comes to Majok Majok and Mika Vukona they alway say their full names.

Reply #576203 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

I think people just go with what rolls of their tongue easiest or what's more unique. We all saw LeBron most of the time when as you point out we say people's last name the most.

Reply #576232 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Having played with Majok for a couple of years, we always said "Ma-Jook" or "Maj".

He never really complained, but he wasn't much of a talker either and responded to anything really haha

Pretty sure it is "Ma Jook"

Reply #576245 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Seems like a good guy, could probably see him joining Perth one day to be closer to family.

Could see that happening in a scenario where Nate leaves, but Tom Jervis deserves to start though.

Reply #576256 | Report this post

Majok is pronounced "Ma-jook", but Majok is pronounced "Ma-jock". That's how you tell the names apart. Don't mix them up.

Reply #576275 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not sure if it's the same guy, but my son went to school with a (basketballer about the right age) Majok Majok. I only ever heard it pronounced Majock, but who knows probably the teachers had it wrong.

Its the same with a few names. I'm not sure whether Prather should be pronounced Prath-er or Pray-ther.
I've also heard Jervis called Jarvis.

Reply #576315 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

PRAY-ther.

The first videos uploaded to the NBL Live app were of each team's players all introducing themselves.

Hadziomerovic (HAD-jee-oh-MEH-ruh-vitch), Tragardh (truh-GARD),and Jawai (JAH-wy) are also regularly mispronounced.

Reply #576316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's Jah-why, mate.

Back when Majok's brother Ater played for the Wildcats, they called him My-Yook.

Reply #576317 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Australians tend to pronounce phonetically, and names tend to morph over time. Such as Mainwaring and Dalziel.

Reply #576324 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Majok is pronounced "Ma-jook", but Majok is pronounced "Ma-jock". That's how you tell the names apart. Don't mix them up.

I recently worked in a country where more than half our employees were some variation of "H-ng". Hung, Hong, Hwong, Hoeng, but to our ear all pronounced the same "Hng." In our department we had a "Miss Hwoeng", but we then hired a second "Miss Hwoeng". However when we said that we would need some way way to differentiate, she said no "I am Hng, but she is Hng, no problem."

And the province of Thai Nguyen, was pronounced "Tie-Win" by the locals.

Reply #576326 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754