Patrick Mills
Brock Motum
Brad Newley

Probably what we expected

Interesting media contact
Lizzie Joyce
Lizzie Joyce Publicity
Email: [email protected]

Any relation to ex-NBL player Daniel?? Also you'd expect to see a website for a Media/Publicity person wouldn't you more amateur hour from BA?

Topic #39421 | Report this topic

Caps Fan  
Years ago

DILOJ ?

Reply #587965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DILOJ?

Reply #587966 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Adam Gibson?

Honestly....c'mon

Reply #587969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This..

Dellavedova/exum
Mills/Lisch/Newley
Broekhoff/ingles
Anderson/bairstow/motum
Bogut/baynes

Can't see any changes unless Simmons decides to come in, replacing one of bairstow or motum.
Exum not making the team will open up a spot up for one of Goulding, Martin or gliddon.

Reply #587970 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Delly 30 Exum 10
Lisch 15 Mills 25
Ingles 20 Broekhoff 20
Motum 25 Anderson 15
Bogut 20 Baynes 20

+
Bairstow
Newley

I like mills coming off the bench to bring that energy, knows the role, and obviously would probably be our no.1 scoring option.

If Exum doesnt go, I would bring in Martin, but mostly leave him on the bench and run with 9 rotation players.

Delly 30 Mills 10
Lisch 20 Mills 20
Ingles 20 Broekhoff 20
Motum 25 Anderson 15
Bogut 20 Baynes 20

+
Martin
Bairstow
Newley

Reply #587971 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

How many players do they take to Rio?

Reply #587972 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Would love to see Delly and Martin working together in a press.

Reply #587973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ the guy who has Jingles starting on the bench behind Broekoff.. You must be joking?

Reply #587974 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bogut/Baynes
Andersen/Motum/Bairstow
Broekhoff/Newley
Ingles/Lisch/Goulding
Mills/Dellavedova

Reply #587975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could Broekhoff play the 4 at stages I know he did in college and is a good rebounder for his size it would help stretch the defence.

Reply #587977 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Baller#3, I can't justify bringing Mills off the bench. You want to start the game by getting the scoreboard ticking over and Mills is the best at doing that. If you want energy and scoring off the bench you bring in Lisch and Broekhoff, who will likely maintain the scoring pressure without losing too much.

Also, Motum was near-useless at the 2014 World Cup. I am yet to see him play well for the Boomers. He is a good player, but I am not sure if he is ready for an Olympics. He is not athletic or mobile enough. He is a very good NBL player or a solid Euro level player, but he is outmatched among the best of the best.

Farrison Hord, Adam Gibson does belong in the extended squad. I'd like to know which Australian guards you think are better that didn't make the 17. His worth was proven in the NBL v China series, where his decision making was imperative to us winning the series. His experience in the Boomers system does mean something.

I am surprised to see Goulding left out by so many. He is a bit of a volume scorer, but when the offence is dead and Patty Mills is tired, how many guys are going to throw it in the air? Goulding has to be in the 12 somewhere if you believe outscoring your opponent is key to winning basketball games. We have a lot of talent but not a lot of scorers.

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Anderson
Bogut

Lisch
Broekhoff
Newley
Bairstow
Baynes
Goulding
Gliddon (unless Exum is available)

Some will wonder why I chose Gliddon, but he gives us another reliable 3 point shooter and will help playing our pressing defense.

Reply #587981 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

I want to throw My Phone or whatever device Im on every time someone on this site has Motum over Bairstow. At international level you need defence and rebounding. I don't care to elaborate further, but I guarantee Lemanis has Bairstow ahead of Motum in his plans.

Reply #587984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've Only got 4 bigs mate... And Bogut won't give you big quality minutes.
Not enough. 1 more is needed.
We really need Simmons.

Reply #587985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our best possible side...

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Simmons
Bogut

Exum
Lisch
Broekhoff
Anderson
Baynes

Newley
Bairstow

Reply #587987 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

I reckon Simmons will be a 3 at NBA and international level, not a 4.

David Andersen has a pretty important role to play still it seems, and he'll be 36 shortly. Not sure where Bairstow is at really either, but hopefully he's next up in that position!

Reply #587988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone had the balls to call out lemanis directly as to the absence completely of AJ Ogilvy? Is it something to do with a non bball related thing? Because he had a very solid NBL season, and if Adam Gibson is in, based on his NBL play, AJ as an extra big who has the right attitude should be testing theses waters.

Reply #587990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gliddon, martin, gibson, newley, goulding, motum
should never be in the boomers squad. They are not even near international bbasketball standard.
Should be drafting in players like humphries, majok deng, Thon Maker and Jonah Bolden.

Reply #587991 | Report this post

Jimmy Needles  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Exum
Mills/Newley/Goulding
Ingles/Broekhoff
Baynes/Motum/Andersen
Bogut/Bairstow

Reply #587993 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Why is Exum playing in this years Olympics? He's only just come back from injury this week and he looked very uncomfortable when he was playing for the Boomers in 2014. I'm all for him playing but maybe just not when this may be our best chance at winning a medal.

Reply #587995 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"gliddon, martin, gibson, newley, goulding, motum
should never be in the boomers squad. They are not even near international bbasketball standard.
Should be drafting in players like humphries, majok deng, Thon Maker and Jonah Bolden. "

There's always some idiot who wants children to take the place of adults. The boomers are not a development team. If you put the kids you love so much, and put them against the veterans you just named, those veterans would tare those kids a brand new asshole.

Reply #587996 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Remember, when Bradke, Vlahov and A Gaze made the national team are teenagers. The current kids are twice as better.

Reply #588000 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Bradtke Gaze and Vlahov were genuinely better than the older crop at the time. Bradtke and Vlahov were massive for their age and way ahead of their time. Gaze came in well before them and was the only young player on that Boomers team (1980 I believe) . He had already proven his worth by the time Bradtke and Vlahov were added. You're comparing chalk to cheese. Those kids you listed could turn out to be anything or nothing. They could end up flipping burgers by the next Olympics.

If you're going to trial new blood, you don't replace four proven veterans with four nobodies. Do you think stick-thin Maker could compete with real big men? Do you think Jonah Bolden is anywhere near ready? The idea is garbage. There are enough tournaments before next Olympics to blood kids. The Boomers have done very well introducing people to the program, and the Olympics is not the time to try things out.

Reply #588001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

andrew wiggins played for canada when he was 19. Durant played for Usa when he was 20.
So the canadians, americans must be idiots for picking them.

Reply #588002 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I'd argue Newley, Goulding and Motum have something to offer, but agree with the other 3. I'd rather have young guys in the squad than those other guys, but were they even available? None of them would be on the plane to Rio though.

Reply #588004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have also never had a more talented group of players before so it makes it hard for these young guys to get in. Bolden didn't do much in college this year , Humphries is too raw and Maker has been playing against high school kids in Canada a big gulf in class those players would get smoked against the ones in the squad.

Reply #588005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These goung guys bring atheletisism to the squad which
the boomers really need. Humphries is 260/270 pounds and is strong enough physically to compete against adults. Majok deng is already 23, hardly a "kid ".

Reply #588006 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

These kids are hardly Durant and Wiggins. For instance, Ben Simmons would make my Boomers final 12 and he is of that age. SOmetimes skill trumps age. But the kids you're listing have done nothing to show they belong.

As for the Boomers and athleticism, we are not starved for athleticism. Our whole team is atleast the same athletcisim as every other team in the competition save for maybe USA and Nigeria. And experience and skill trumps youthful athleticism any day of the week.

You must remember, if you take these kids to the Olympics, it would be the very first time they've played men. You might be able to take a risk with one or two guys deep on the bench, but you don't with your entire bench and you don't when you're trying to medal.

Reply #588010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say Maker has a bigger upside than Wiggins.
A 7 footer with great motor, explosive atheletisism, dribbling and rebounding ability. That is just insane.
If Maker is a canadian , he would have been drafted into the national squad now.

Reply #588011 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

But Canada doesn't have the depth we have in big men. And Thon Maker is not ready to do anything right now. Potential means jack in the olympics.

Reply #588013 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

andrew wiggins played for canada when he was 19. Durant played for Usa when he was 20.
So, my son should play for Australia because he's 19?
How do people like this even manage to access the internet?

Has anyone had the balls to call out lemanis directly as to the absence completely of AJ Ogilvy? Is it something to do with a non bball related thing? Because he had a very solid NBL season, and if Adam Gibson is in, based on his NBL play, AJ as an extra big who has the right attitude should be testing theses waters.
Seriously, WTF?
Ogilvy should be in because Gibson is in???

Reply #588014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker better upside than Wiggins I have heard it all now how exactly is that the case Wiggins will be a a number 2 player on his team at worst and is averaging 20 a game in his 2nd season. Maker will be a role player at best in the NBA and will never reach that level.

Reply #588016 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

NBL Fan - it's unlikely Exum will be picked for the Olympic team, for the reasons you've given. He's only just resuming full contact training as we speak. Also, he won't have any meaningful opportunities for match practice and to be worked into the Boomers' rotations in the next 9 weeks. Picking him would be foolish.

Then there's the point made in a separate thread specifically about Exum, as to whether the Jazz would even allow him to play for Boomers again, at least before the Jazz has had a chance to make some money off their own investment in Exum.

That said, he'd have been picked for this squad of 17 to keep him in the Boomers' family and make clear he is still in the plans for the future.

Reply #588018 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd say there's 9 spots locked in

Delly / Mills
Ingles /
Brokhoff /
Motum / Bairstow
Bogut / Baynes / Andersen

(note not advocating starters, just positions)

I'd say barring injury to one of the pgs, Martin and Gibson are out and barring injury to one of the bigs, Jawai is out. I also can't see Gliddon making it.

To me that leaves Lisch, Exum, Newley, Goulding battling for the last 3 spots and I think, unless they're looking to specifically take Exum over a better option for experience, he's the odd man out.

Reply #588019 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd lock Lisch in as our best possible bench guard. Throw in Goulding and Newley as well. Still concerned for our outside shooting so that is where Gliddon gets consideration. If he can outperform Newley in camps then that is a possibility

Reply #588023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz there is more reason to have an extra big over Gibson. That's what the fuck. He was left out of that China tour and their have been rumblings it's personal.

Reply #588025 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think it's key to take the best team now. There's 3 years until the next major tournament, which is plenty of time for the new coach to bring guys on. With more games and a new qualification system there's gonna be plenty of chances for guys to be brought into the system.

Added to that, I think this Olympic tournament is wide open after the USA. The Olympics is always easier than world cup as you can lose a couple of games and win one big one and be playing off for a medal.

I think the recent international powers like Spain and Argentina aren't as strong as they have been and it's really our best chance to do something special. Let's pick the best 12 guys and think no further than August 21.

Reply #588031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram

You are correct regarding the next 3 years. Lets hope BA select the right coach because they will have an arsenal
of new talent coming in for the 2020 Olympics such as.. Ben Simmons, Thon Maker, Jonah Bolden, Isaac Humphries, Keanu Pinder and a healthy Exum. These players have the skills to create offense themselves which will allow them to play an uptempo game, unlike the current boomers who under Lemanis tend to play slow robotic basketball.

Reply #588036 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I wouldn't say the Boomers play 'slow robotic basketball'. Certainly what they did against Lithuania was not slow or robotic. If we play the way we did against Lithuania, and push the ball down European throats, we have a shot at a medal.

Reply #588043 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Lisch
Mills/Newley/Goulding
Ingles/Broekhoff
Andersen/Motum/Bairstow
Bogut/Baynes

Reply #588045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I notice ppl are putting Dellavedova in the starting lineup before Mills.

Clearly the best potent back court will be Mills & Lisch.
They both can score and feed off one another to give the Boomers lots of scoring punch. Not sure if Delli can be a consistent scorer in RIO.

Reply #588050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, this cuurent team play slow, robotic, un-atheletic basketball under Lemanis. Cant wait to see the following boomers team in 2020.

Humphries
Thon maker
simmons
Mcdowell white
exum

Deng gak
Bolden
Matur maker
Mills
Delly

deng adel
Mading

Plenty of atheletic and creative players in this team which will give the USA a run for its money.

Reply #588052 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Please, not Bairstow. Still not convinced by him.

Reply #588053 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Anonymous, I feel like you just listed all the young African-Australian kids and assumed how good they're going to be. Where is the evidence that Mading, Maker 1 and 2, Deng Adel or Gak are going to be any good? I feel like you just think black = athletic = good. It isn't nearly that simple. I expect Joe Ingles, Aron Baynes, Bogut, Broekhoff etc to still be firmly in the roster by 2020 and MAYBE a couple of the kids you listed sprinkled around them.

Reply #588054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont thknk bogut will hang around for the 2020
olympics game. Ingles and Baynes will mostly likely available in 2020.

Reply #588057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME. The formula : " black = athletic = good " is definitely correct.

Just look at tbe NBA, 95% players are black, atheletic and they are the best players in the world.

Reply #588058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly #052 is trolling and taking the piss. Please don't feed the idiots.

Reply #588059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Lemanis has said, outside of the core guys he's not necessarily looking for the best players, but rather those whose skills fill particular needs.

So it depends on what he wants out of the bench players. If he wants someone to come off the bench and initiate offence and create for himself he might pick Lisch (or Goulding). If he wants a little more defensive versatility as well as 3 point shooting he may go with Gliddon.

Reply #588060 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"

ME. The formula : " black = athletic = good " is definitely correct.

Just look at tbe NBA, 95% players are black, atheletic and they are the best players in the world.
"

No one will debate that most of the NBA is black. But that doesn't immediately mean that our young, black up-and-commers are going to be good because they are black and going to college. How many black kids go to US college, play Div 1 basketball and end up flipping burgers? The formula is not that simple. They tend to be naturally more athletic, but there are plenty of tangibles that need to be considered.

"As Lemanis has said, outside of the core guys he's not necessarily looking for the best players, but rather those whose skills fill particular needs.

So it depends on what he wants out of the bench players. If he wants someone to come off the bench and initiate offence and create for himself he might pick Lisch (or Goulding). If he wants a little more defensive versatility as well as 3 point shooting he may go with Gliddon."

Basically, yes. And there is no 'if he wants to throw our shot at success out the window and play a kid solely due to skin color', as many of these Anonymous types think. I expect Lisch to make it. I think Goulding probably will also make it.

Reply #588061 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Unless Bairstow has improved dramatically from the Bulls bench compared to what I saw of him in an Australia jersey last year, I'd have Jawai over him in a heartbeat.

Reply #588063 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

At every major tournament you can bet someone will want to throw away the shot at success NOW to fill the team with a bunch of "maybe in the future" types.

Now is now, the future is the future. When the time comes those who are ready will be selected. We have yearly tournaments to bring people in.The Olympics or World Cup aren't the time to be testing kids.

People vastly underestimate the difference between junior and adult basketball. If the Anonymous on here was running the Argentine basketball program of the early 00's they would never have built up a golden age. They'd be too busy ditching Manu Ginobli for some 15 year old who might end up better in 10 years.

Reply #588064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2020-2024

U21 future boomers players in the mix 95-98 born...

Exum/McDowell-White/Glover/Naar
Vasljevic/Kenyon/Hayward/Krebs
Simmons/Adel/J.White/McVeigh/Cooks
T.Maker/D.Gak/Bolden/M.maker/G.Gak
Humphries/Froling/Landale/Perry

Afew others in the mix...
Depth in the Sg position for the future is the biggest issue.

Reply #588065 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes but to those names you'd be adding Lisch, Mills, Delly for 2020 atleast. It's only 2024 where that issue of shooting guards presents itself and we don't know what might happen between then and now

Reply #588066 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It also shows the need to capitalize right now. We might not have the same talent and balance in 10 years that we do now. We might need to rely too heavily on two or three guys to get the job done for us, but right now we're deep

Reply #588067 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Cram, paul, Zodiac have it nailed already.

In no particular order,

Bogut/Baynes
Andersen/Motum/Bairstow
Broekhoff/Newley
Ingles/Lisch/Goulding
Mills/Dellavedova

Starting lineups could vary, but the main rotation core is mostly settled. Form of the shooting forwards (Andersen, Motum or Bairstow) and shooting guards (Lisch or Goulding) will determine who gets into the main rotation.

The uncertainties I have is Goulding and Lisch, but I only say that because Lemanis used Goulding very sparingly last campaign and Lisch is completely new to the system. Gibson might be able to sneak into the team with his experience in the system. I can't see Exum making the team. The other uncertainty is Andersen, depending on form at his age. He needs to be stroking the ball at a good clip to be of value.

Reply #588114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754