LC
Years ago

ESPN to expand Oceania NBA broadcast coverage

ESPN will be bringing about an expanded partnership with the NBA, that will give fans in Australia and New Zealand more access to live games and programming than ever before.

According to a media release from the NBA today, more than 200 regular-season and playoff games will be broadcast by ESPN each year, starting from the 2016/17 NBA regular season.

ESPN to expand Oceania NBA broadcast coverage

Topic #39441 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

This is great news! Although to be honest the expanded agreement isn't really all that expanded...

minimum delivery of five live regular-season games each week

Well, this season ESPN broadcasted 1 Thurs, 2 Sat, 1 Sun each week so just one additional game I guess...

ESPN previously offered two NBA games a week.
This is very clearly incorrect.

Up to 188 regular-season games, up from 88 in 2015-16

I'm almost certain ESPN showed more than 88 games over the 24/25 week season. They showed between 3-4 games per week plus all the Christmas games, so it was probably more like 100 games.

This seems to suggest roughly 7 games per week then if 5 is the bare minimum but up to 188? I wonder where the extra 3 games come from, I suspect they won't show TNT games so maybe the rest of the ABC Saturday/Sunday games they don't show on Sunday and Monday in Australia?

Summer League, USA Basketball exhibition games, and even studio shows like NBA Countdown (starring Sage Steele, Jalen Rose among others), NBA Tonight, and Rachel Nichols' The Jump will also be shown

The 20 NBA Summer League games will be new, and I think the USA Basketball games might be as well (although if I remember correctly they have been shown before in the past).

NBA Countdown is already shown by ESPN for some games, although it'd be great if it was all games. NBA Tonight is already shown on ESPN2 every day. The Jump with Rachel Nichols (she's awesome) is already shown on ESPN...

Reply #588222 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Let's hope this is the end of the "local" yokel commentator we see/hear on Sunday games. Their bias views are a bit hard to swallow and commentary from one teams perspective is only good if you support that team.
I'd still watch and listen even if Homicide was commentating (dribbling) - and I'd enjoy it.

Reply #588232 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"she's awesome"

Damn right she is. Same with Cassidy Hubbarth.

Talk about wifey material right there.

Reply #588238 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Foxtel has been lucky to broadcast NBA tonight every third day, let alone with more regularity - will be great if it becomes daily. Cassidy is a top presenter and pairs well with Legs/Bowen (Daugherty/PJ duds!). Genuinely one of my fave programs to watch, especially when I need a recap on day's play.

Along with The Jump and a few more games each week, hoping this will stoke the fire even further and give us a boon period of basketball again throughout Australia.

Summer League games are garbage but will at least provide light viewing for a few days.

Reply #588305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 am, Mon 6 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754