Dazz
Years ago

Wildcats Squad Changes & Media Spin

I tempted to say I'm disappointed by the changes.
But here's the reality:
IF you take all the Wildcats' media comments at face value, then the changes make no sense.
But we never really know the truth.

Now suppose, hypothetically, that the following are true...
1) Jawai failed to meet his commitment to trim down and get fit. Wasn't worth the Marquee money paid, and wanted a similar deal.
2) Jervis was told by Brisbane he was "good enough to start" and offered more money. Perth disagreed, and Jervis wasn't happy.
3) Perth decided to move Beal on because of .

Suddenly it all takes on a different hue.
Once you assume those guys were always gone, nomatter what, then the recruitment starts to look a lot better.
Brandt is a great replacement for Jervis, If you're looking to sign a SG then JJ looks a likely prospect, and hopefully we''re still on target for a gun centre.

Topic #39651 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its called professional sport mate...get over it

Reply #592046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Dazz, when Nick Marvin said Trevor could have a lifetime contract if he wanted it, you know he didn't mean it, right?

Of course the club is going to say that they want to keep the team together but things change so they looked elsewhere. What's the issue?

Reply #592048 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's almost impossible to keep a ten-man unit together in any given off-season. Doubly so when you're a championship team, as your players are in high demand elsewhere.

So while the goal would have been to retain as many players as possible, the reality was always that at least a couple were likely to leave.

As you've noted, the departures of Jawai and Jervis are unlikely to be any real decision made by the club beyond what salary and minutes they could allocate, and there's only so many of each to go around.

In Beal's case, it seems the club and he don't agree on his value to the team, financially, so it's essentially the same case as Jervis.

There hasn't really been too much turnover.

Reply #592049 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ are in the same boat losing Ced Jackson, Charles Jackson, Tai Wesley, Rueban TeRangi.
All of them wanted more money and it just wasn't there.
They have all been replaced and the team still looks good.

Reply #592052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth were very lucky to get Jawai for a year, for him to play outside of Cairns in the NBL was very unlikely, and for him to do so for more than a season was almost impossible.

I doubt it was for the money either, Nate has made that much overseas, it was timing and circumstance that fell in the Wildcats' favour and they did well to sign him.

Reply #592055 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Dazz, at the end of the day Jawai won Perth the championship.

Reply #592063 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Per http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20160722/282114930928104

"The West Australian understands a new deal for Shawn Redhage and the signing of Victorian shooter Dexter Kernich-Drew are also in the works"

Reply #592064 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Nice.

Import Big on the way. The final piece to the puzzle

Reply #592066 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Beal leaving got me thinking: who are the Wildcats greatest shooting guards?

My top 4 in no particular order would be:
Beal
Lisch
Crawford
Harvey

Anyone reckon any others could be considered? Grace may have played SG with Mike Ellis, but he mostly played PG throughout the 1990s.

Reply #592082 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Stewie.

Reply #592084 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCdtWlVio8

Dazz for some reason this song came to mind after reading your post. I don't know why, it is 2 in the morning and I'm sleep deprived.

Reply #592085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lichti is probably still my favourite.

Lisch
Beal
Harvey
Stewie
Crawford

Thought there would be more imports.
Mike Ellis played a lot of Sg, but I like to think of him as a point guard. Same as we got Clint McDaniel one year to play alongside Ricky. He was great, but he was really a point guard. The year when we pretty much started 2 point guards, 2 power forwards and a centre.

Reply #592086 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Most imports are only around one year though, which generally gets you excluded from this sort of a conversation.

Lichti was before my time, but from what I've seen of him on tape he's not as impressive as he's made out to be by some.

The year when we pretty much started 2 point guards, 2 power forwards and a centre.
Wasn't that 98/99, the year they started about 18 different people because everyone got injured all the time?

McDaniel-Grace-Stewart-Fisher-Vlahov doesn't fit your described starting roles, though. Michaels came off the bench and Van Der Putten stayed on the bench, there were no other bigs (Rogers and Crawford were injured by the time McDaniel came around).

Reply #592088 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Yeah, fair call on Lichti and Stewart.

Reply #592089 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Jawai said he was looking forward to returning to Perth, and was waiting for their offer.
Again, if you take that at face value, the outcome makes no sense. But if you take the view that, for whatever reason, he was never coming back, then fine the Cats are looking for someone new.
I think Marvin did let something close to the truth out, when he quipped something to the effect that Imports were cheaper/ easier to recruit than local marquees.

Reply #592090 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Meaning that if Jawai had accepted a lower offer, they'd have retained him.

But it was going to take way too much money to keep him away from Cairns, so they didn't.

I'm not sure why you think there's something sinister going on here.

Reply #592091 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly.

Reply #592095 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

Interesting that Grace played SG for 3 of his 4 championships. With Ellis in 90/91 and Trahair in 95.

Reply #592099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? Grace was not the SG on any Cats team.

Reply #592101 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

I except in 90-91 & 95. Watch the games.

Reply #592102 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

@Nix36 Grace and Ellis took turns early on, yes. But in 1995, Trahair was definitely the SG. Ricky ran point, as he did for most of 1990s. He was/is only 6'1"

Reply #592103 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

Ok so it was Ellis' 'turn' every time he was on the court. And Grace definitely played PG except for the 90% of the time Tahair setup the play. You just need to watch the games.

Reply #592104 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Rashad Tucker is the best SG the cats ever had.

Reply #592106 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Tucker is over 200cm, he averaged 8rpg, he was a SF/PF, defs not a SG

Reply #592107 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Who said anything sinister was going on???

Reply #592109 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Jawai left the 'Cats for the Taipans because he was offered a three year deal and a post-basketball future promoting positive outcomes in the outlying parts of Queensland and TS Islands. Perth couldn't offer that.

Perth will contend for a premiership again this seeason and Beal has never been so good that he's irreplacable. Not in the league's top 5 (10?) imports last year. Jervis was good, but just a back-up centre, after all that.

Reply #592112 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Trahair was coming off the bench in '95 and Ellis had his minutes reduced when Murray Arnold was head coach. Grace was always the man

Reply #592121 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Rashad tucker is one of my all time favourites. Yes he was a SF but ran the point most of that year grace was injured and pretty much took over the offense on his own. From memory he had six triple doubles in one season

Reply #592123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a reputation for many things esp off the court.

Reply #592124 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Tucker is over 200cm
Why do you keep bringing height into things?

Trahair was coming off the bench in '95
Not by the end of the year.

Reply #592127 | Report this post

Nix36  
Years ago

Nice to see a concession about Grace in 90. Ellis had reduced minutes but was still the starting PG. Hurley changed the lineup in 95 midseason after starting 8-6. Grace is the man regardless of position.

Reply #592129 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The 1995 starting five was essentially two point guards and three power forwards.

There's not really any need to shoehorn people into positions and have exactly one of each.

Reply #592130 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Rashad tucker had like 13 triple doubles that season. Or maybe it was 7

Reply #592132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did this turn into a pissing contest rather than a discussion about how the team is shaping up?

Reply #592238 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was it ever a discussion about that? It started with Dazz alleging some sort of conspiracy on the part of the Wildcats.

Reply #592266 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Never a dull moment when Dazz is involved. Keeps the off-season less boring.. lol

Btw, speaking of Rashads, remember Rashad Philips..

Reply #592267 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I wasn't alleging anything.
I was really just making the point, that whilst the changes made no sense on face value,
they did if we considered what was probably the reality behind the scenes.

Reply #592268 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So you're saying the "& Media Spin" bit got added to the title of the thread without your knowledge?

Reply #592269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which changes don't make sense?

Johnson for Beal is the only change the Cats chose to make and looks likely to be an upgrade.

Brandt in for Jervis is a good recovery from an unexpected loss and Jawai was always going to leave anyway.

Reply #592278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does "face value" mean? The changes needed to be made because some players got better offers, and another player was no longer required. What is so hard to understand?

Reply #592280 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know?
What ARE you having such a hard time understanding???

Reply #592283 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The reason you created this thread.

Reply #592285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage is signing a 1 season deal this week leaving 1 spot open for an import C.

Reply #592751 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Redhage is signing a 1 season deal
leaving 1 spot open for an import C.
Probably the worst kept secret in the NBL.
Does make one wonder who the import will be, but again I suppose that makes sense, keeping the juiciest news till last.
He'll probably be in Perth training before its announced.

Reply #592755 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Eager to find out who it may be

Reply #592759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754