Lt Bookman
Years ago

Ever been in a 3 on 3 tourney in Australia?

When was the last great 3 on 3 tourney in Australia?

I am looking for information from anyone who has played in a quality, organized 3 on 3 tournament  and I'm not talking about the ones you have in your backyard against your nextdoor neighbour, the postman, your skinny younger brother and two international students waiting at the bus stop out the front of your house!). Would especially like to hear of anyone who participated in the Gatorade 3 on 3 or the Reebok Blacktop 3 on 3 Tournaments played in the late 90s in Australia (However, if you have played in or seen any internationally that would be interesting to hear as well)?

The kind of things I'm looking for are:

- What made you want to play?

- What kind of promotions were used to get the word out that there was a 3 on 3 tourney being organized?

- What was the price to each player and what were some of the benefits you received?

- What prizes were up for grabs?

- What kind of locations were the games played in  Indoor/Outdoor?

- What kind of celebrities were present on the day and what was their involvement?

Really appreciate anyone's feedback. If you have a few moments to talk further on this matter in length offline, please email Isaac your details and I'll follow you up with a call or email.

Topic #3994 | Report this topic

Nutwork  
Years ago

played in the 3 on 3 tourney outside @ the bay in the 90's. i don't remeber much about it except the surface was a plastic kind of matting over grass which was terrible to bounce on.

Reply #46455 | Report this post

Bill Walton  
Years ago

That was the Gatorade 3 on 3
at the bay.

Final game i think had Shane Ahmatt, J Williams and Jarrad Hammond who hurt his kankle, can't remember the other guy might have been bayliss??
Vs the Lunch Cutters. Bennett & Co. ???

Can't remember who won but I still have the top somewhere and it was a great day, big crowds.

I think 2 permanent courts somewhere down there would be worth it, Beach Volleyball sucks!

Reply #46465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was a 3 on 3 about this time last year held at Flinders.

Don't much much details, had a few friends who entered, said the standard was quite poor.

Reply #46471 | Report this post

I believe there was a AND 1 3 on 3 tournament here 2 and a half years ago where a quality team with the name Viral Staircase won and went over to Melbourne and were beaten. (Victorian Refs) They haven't had one in South Australia since.

Reply #46495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AND 1 3 on 3 tourny is being held sometime in october at the DHD

Reply #46500 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Dr Pepper 3 on 3 challenge was held at the bay too in the late 90's was goo dfun - heaps of people turned out to play and watch - they had 3 point shoot outs, dunk competition on different height rings - was a great atmosphere and the standard as the tourny went on got better - your always going to get people entering that dont have much game - they're soon found out.

As far as promotion goes they had everyones fav player Shane Heal there - I think I heard about it via a flyer through my bball club back than. didnt cost much to enter you got singlet - drink bottle and some food and crap.

Reply #46507 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

J Williams was part of the winning team at the Bay that year, and went on to Sydney. For some reason, I remember that from my youth ..... !

Reply #46524 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

the dr pepper one darren ng, jarrad graves, baggott and an other woodville bloke from that team won the whole tink one year. they went to the finals in sydney or something like that and won it all. there's still a picture in the woodville office with shane heal i think.

Reply #46526 | Report this post

FL  
Years ago

There's an AND1 3 on 3 comp being organised at the moment. Get a team of 4 together and regester at any footlocker. Held at the dome on the 15th of October. U/16's, U/18's and Open age groups.

Reply #46541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played and won (Melbourne) the Reebok Blacktop 3 on 3 comp in the early 90's. It was organized through your school, and in Melbourne it was held on the rooftop of Melbourne Central (shopping centre CBD). Had Rodeny O (Sydney court announcer) there commentating etc... We won Reebok basketball shoes, and all expenses paid trip to the final in Sydney.

Finals were played on the waterfront, with a pretty similar setup to the Melbourne leg.

Reply #301811 | Report this post

Stewart  
Years ago

Played and won (Melbourne) the Reebok Blacktop 3 on 3 comp in the early 90's. It was organized through your school, and in Melbourne it was held on the rooftop of Melbourne Central (shopping centre CBD). Had Rodeny O (Sydney court announcer) there commentating etc... We won Reebok basketball shoes, and all expenses paid trip to the final in Sydney.

Finals were played on the waterfront, with a pretty similar setup to the Melbourne leg.

Reply #301812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:50 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754