Anonymous
Years ago

Perth will miss the playoffs

Their Streak is about to end. They have no scoring options outside of Prather and now that Knight and Martin are out for a extended period I don't see them making it.

Topic #40378 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

The streak was always going to end. 30 straight and 7 championships, us Perth fans have had it pretty sweet. It's not the end of the world and they'll bounce back.
Season is no where near over yet either and we already seen how the leaguer can quickly be turned upside down.

Meanwhile, I'm sure everyone else's fan base will be sitting back enjoying the Cats slump.... enjoy it while it lasts ;)

Reply #610799 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

A lot of butthurt fans at the Arena last night....and I never bumped into Dazz.

That dude would've been inconsolable. LOL

Reply #610802 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I tripped over a lot of dummies walking down the stairs, including my own

Reply #610805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was bound to happen. And really, it is a good thing.

Think about it... many years at the top with an ageing core roster - who to their credit has done exceptionally well during their time.

But all good things come to an end.

If the Wildcats miss the playoffs, you can guarantee that the team they suit up the next season will be stacked in some way, shape or form.

Reply #610811 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No complaints from me if the streak comes to an end. It's been a pretty handy run dating back to my first season following the team.

My only fear is for Jack. Not sure he'll deal with it as well as I will.

Reply #610815 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I can't imagine Jack is too happy atm and curious to see how quickly changes come about... If it was purely injuries being the root of the losses, I doubt it would be too bad, but it seems a few players are getting called out for their effort the last couple of games and it's bad enough as a fan copping that, let alone if you're Jack...

Reply #610823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

imagine if the cats miss the playoffs and then Mr Bendat passes away... wow.

Reply #610824 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A bit premature I think...

Reply #610828 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

Agreed. The cats will miss playoffs. And it come down to poor forward planning.
Martin and Knight are injury prone. Martin is praised for his courage going hell for leather on defense but I think it's time to reel it in if he wants to prolong his career.
Knight is always hurt, it's part of his game and his body is breaking down. I'm gobsmacked this was not taken into consideration when they recruited his backup or just should of retained Jervis.
The bench is a worry. Redhage is done. Nothing wrong with father time and wagstaff is a clone. It doesn't help when they haven't adjusted their game as flopping won't be tolerated.
I'm not a Gleason fan and think he is over his head. He put the team together with Marvin (don't remember Marvin being a coach or player *sarcasm).
The streak will be over and if Bendat is smart he will clean house.
Short term - release JJ and MCKay. Get two imports - one a point guard and another versatile backup big who can be interchangeable with knight as he is going to be nursed through the season.
Sign a skilled Aussie youngster someone who is more than a three point shooter. And play Dexter more. He can shoot.
Long term - Nielsen coach, new player conditioning coach, sign two not three stud imports (prather can come back) sign a marquee Aussie (any position) wagstaff to bench. Release hire, redhage, wroe and seriously consider knight as asst coach and not play.

I like the look of Bragg and brandt is underused. Dex can be a player like a Andrew Parkinson.
All in all poor player recruiting and management.
The need to move away from sentiment and get rid of hire and redhage.

Reply #610834 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I mostly like the look of Bragg too, but yikes that shooting stroke is ugly. His free throws weren't even close.

Reply #610836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Gleeson didn't want JJ back, but was overruled by Marvin. Guessing Nick isn't too happy with his decision now.

Reply #610842 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

JJ is playing like a guy trying to keep his job, which usually doesn't work out well.

I'm all on-board the Bragg train too, but people are going to start playing right off him like Gary Ervin if he doesn't show he can shoot. Insane speed.

Reply #610864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A little too early and close in the season to say they'll miss the playoffs tbh the ladder being as close as it is

Reply #610873 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's only close because of the games Perth played with Martin in the lineup. They're 1-5 without him.

Reply #610874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Knight is always hurt, it's part of his game and his body is breaking down. I'm gobsmacked this was not taken into consideration when they recruited his backup or just should of retained Jervis.
Wasn't Brandt that attempt to cover for Knight? Plus an import big on top of that?

Really, their major mistake is not having and then not getting coverage for Martin, playing probably the most crucial position. Thought similarly about the 36ers not having ideal PG coverage for Randle. If your SF goes down, you can run another SG. Lose your PG and the opposition will pressure you as you're trying to set up the play.

Supposedly Wagstaff likes coming off the bench, but I'd be pushing him to play big minutes and start.

I think Redhage is a scapegoat and little else. 11 man rosters so you can carry a spare vet or upcoming player. And he plays a position where they have some depth.

Had they just released Johnson and got Ware or Stockton or similar, would this thread exist?

Reply #610880 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Supposedly Wagstaff likes coming off the bench, but I'd be pushing him to play big minutes and start.
He's been garbage this year. We could replace him with Tovey and not lose much at the offensive end.

Reply #610884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's hilarious that non-Perth fans are laughing at a team for potentially not making the playoffs for a 31st consecutive season, as if the most successful club ever (just ahead of daylight) should be ashamed of itself.

Reply #610888 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Haha Perth.

Losers.

Just joking. I'm a Sixers fan and describe what Perth has done the last 3 decades to non basketball fans and they're blown away.

All good things end eventually. If they do happen to miss the playoffs look out next year. They'll probably sign LeBron

Reply #610910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Perth miss the playoffs, if only to laugh at Spazz.

Reply #610911 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Kenny IS the coverage for Martin. Smart move getting him last season, and well done keeping him. The problem is not "No Martin" per sae, its that Martin & Kenny had to cover for our lack of a decent 2 man.

At the other end, its losing Jervis, and McKay not being a big scorer putting too much on Knight's shoulders.

I'm not pinning the whole blame on the imports. But they are the hired guns, the guys you go for to fill the spaces. With Wagstaff you've got a guy who's not starting material, but a decent 6th man, Brandt is still a decent backup centre, and Hire and Redhage (now) are role players. That meant we needed another scoring option up front, preferably a high scoring option, or at least a big guy who could dominate.
To partner Knight they went for somebody more athletic, which was a good move in it and of itself, but we just need McKay to improving and score some more points. I still have hope for him, but he also needs a couple of guards who are better at feeding him the ball.

JJ, I feel sorry for. He was never the right fit for the team, he got cut once, and then asked to return. And to be honest, there's no point replacing him if our only option is another el cheapo D-League scrubber.

As for Jack, he and Eleanor are beloved of Perth fans, but he is very old and frail now. Not sure how much time he spends worrying about the running of the Cats.

Reply #610928 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As for the streak, it would be sad to see it end, because once its gone its never coming back.
It will be interesting to see if the Cats make any bold moves.

Reply #610930 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

Yeah I thought Brandt was cover for Knight and replacement for Jervis. McKay is that import on top wasn't he?
I like Brandt but he isn't able to show anything because Gleeson hasn't used him properly.
Poor imports need to be replaced. And my opinion is Marvin is getting to involved with player recruiting without really being qualified to do so.
He reminds me of a vivek radanive from the Sacramento kings who gets to involved with playing personnel without being an expert.
Pffft redhage is taking the place and minutes of a youngster who could do more I think. He should have retired on top.
Casey is the stud player, he needs quality with him. Our expectations on imports need to be higher.

Reply #610934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The bigger worry for cats, perth is a bandwagon kind of state. If they dont do well this year they will struggle for members/crowds next year.

They need marquee players - next season poach a randle ,craig and the likes from the NBL if you have to rather than bringing in low grade NBA d-leaugers.

Reply #610937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth needs a shooter who can spread the D. Bragg gives them something with speed and offensive aggression but to be an NBL player needs to fix his shot. How someone with his talent can get thru a junior career without his action being fixed is disappointing.

Reply #610944 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The bigger worry for cats, perth is a bandwagon kind of state.
Said nobody who knows the first thing about Perth.

The reason Perth people get behind their teams is because we are parochial. (Whether that's a good or bad thing.) The common term is "One-Eyed West Australian"). Remember, this is still the state that voted to leave the Federation.

Money has been a bit tight, but things are stabilising. Its always going to be hard to fill something like Perth Arena, but we do a reasonable job. There would have to be a wide-spread belief that the owners had really lost the plot before people stay away in too big numbers.

Reply #610949 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I meant support at PG should Martin go down, besides Kenny alone. Many teams seem to have three PG options with one combo guard. Norton, Clarke, Martin. Lisch, Cadee, Blake. Gibson, Beal, Bruce. Stockton, Webster, Tueta. Ware, Tomlinson, Moore?

Reply #610952 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I've never seen Perth people as bandwagoners, they do well with their AFL crowds consistently...

Reply #610954 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth is definitely not a bandwagon city!!

Reply #610955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WooT!

Reply #610957 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I meant support at PG should Martin go down, besides Kenny alone.
Understood, although if you consider where we were at in 2014/15, Kenny was a welcome addition.
I think we're kinda saying the same thing. You can't just have only one guy on deck who can run the floor. Last season, I could say we had Damo, Beal, and Kenny, so for most of the time, we had two capable guards on the floor. And when Damo was injured, it wasn't the end of the world, We had Kenny and Beal, and Wroe played some good minutes.
Realistically this year we have only Damo & Kenny, so yeah when one goes down that leaves us struggling.

I suppose one way to go would be another option off the bench, a combo guard as your 10th or 11th man. I think the Cats had high hopes for Wroe in that regard.

Which is why I'm surprised they haven't found somebody to replace Damo.

Reply #610960 | Report this post

Hardwood Hero  
Years ago

Marvin should have NO say in player choice, he's the GM, run the business. It's the coaching staff that should call the shots regarding players.

Reply #610962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing Beal was a big blow. He's a legit combo guard. We missed Martin for quite a few games last season too and had a fair few others when he was on limited minutes. But Beal's playmaking ability helped cover for that. Too much is on Prather's shoulders at the moment.

Reply #610965 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

Who least deserves to be in the League - Wroe or Hire? Wroe struggled at state league level for Stirling, so it's baffling how he gets an NBL gig. Then you have the token west aussie in Hire who adds little to nothing off the bench aside from towel waving and learning how to perfect the art of cheapshots from the kings in that area of Redhage & Wagstaff.

Reply #610967 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have heard mixed descriptions of Wroe from SBL watchers. He's not a scoring PG, and that causes people to write him off. Many thought Hussey was superior, because he scored more in SBL, but Wroe definitely looks more competent running the point at NBL level.
End of the day, he s a DP, not a regular player. He performed well last season when called upon, and I guess we all expected him to improve. Not sure that he has. He was saved by the one year age increase, so I don't expect to see him around after this season.

I think part of the issue is that Gleeson's game plan doesn't call for a scoring PG, so he's been happy with what Wroe has shown as a backup. But now we're struggling and could really do with someone who could run the ball AND score himself occasionally.

Reply #610971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ending the streak on 30 is a good even number to look at but i still think it's too early to tell

Reply #610972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is wroe is an absolute zero in offense. Teams don't even bother to guard him so you're playing four on five. Damian Martin is not a huge offensive threat but still needs to be guarded because he can hit an open shot, penetrate and hit the offensive glass of you don't put a body on him.

Bragg is a better offensive player but teams are learning to dare him to shoot rather than let him beat them with pace.

Reply #610978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad it wasn't an uneven number said no one ever.

Reply #611030 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Even numbers > odd numbers

Reply #611031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow.

Reply #611033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow is right. There's nothing wrong with odd numbers.

Reply #611034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or odd people.

Reply #611035 | Report this post

Pelican  
Years ago

Perth Next year:

- go after D-league Combo Guard (Make an attempt to steal Trice from Taipans)

- Retain Prather

- make an offer to Brock Motum

- look for a Physical D-league centre to share minutes with Brandt

you would hope Redhage considers retiring this offseason. Wagstaff has a few good years left.

Reply #611050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that we should try and poach Trice. Time to throw our financial clout around.

Reply #611063 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth certainly needs to ask some hard questions at the end of this season. Probably should have been asked before the start, but that's history now.

Retaining Prather remains a priority, unfortunately he just keeps improving his chances of getting a NBA gig. They need to really chase some quality elsewhere, in case he doesn't come back.

Too much reliance on Knight & Martin, for guys who are getting on, and are injury prone. We need another big body to go banging, and we need more depth in the backcourt.

Wagstaff is still a very handy player, but I think he needs to move down the pecking order.

The Cats need to chase a local Marquee. The rule is there, and gives substantial S/C relief, so USE it. Try and land at least one of the guys currently playing in Europe (or see if somebody gets cut from the NBA) Try and get a bit more depth on the bench, then chase decent imports to fill the gaps.
Depending on what Aussies we can attract, would depend on how to use the import slots. But at a minimum we need a genuine scoring guard to partner Damo in the back court, somebody who can score and handle the ball. Plus a genuine scoring threat up front. In a perfect world I'd like to see Knight coming off the bench as the 6th man.
I'd also like to see a local on the bench who can genuinely backup the SF role.

Reply #611230 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

What will be interesting to see is if the Wildcats do miss the playoffs, what will that do to their attendances at Perth Arena?

Are they going to continue pulling in 10,000+ every home game or will it start to drop off a bit?

Reply #611270 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In terms of attendance sand memberships, I don't think a single year of "missing the playoffs" will be hugely determinative. In 2015 we went out with barely a whimper in one home game. That obviously deadened things a bit, but not drastically.
It's also about how they respond. After that disappointment, they went out and signed Jawai, and Greenwood/ Kenny. That got us competitive again pretty quickly.
What would eventually start to gut the Cats is if we keep losing too many games at home.

If (and its still too early to call) this season is a bust, it will depend how they respond, and how we start to look next season.

Reply #611272 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I still think they'll average more in home attendance than any other team (unless Sydney suddenly starts filling Qudos and they don't need to use those bloody curtains) because fans don't suddenly stop supporting them. But I just wonder if a losing season will see their Perth Arena average drop below 10,000 for the first time?

Reply #611277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754