Question!
Years ago

One footed take-offs

I was watching "Streetball" on ESPN yesterday, and I saw something that amazed me sort of. Not any special move, just a comment made by Spyda, one of the best dunkers on the show.

After seeing AO complete a one footed take-off for a one handed throwdown during a game, Spyda said something to the effect off "I've been trying ten years to go off one foot, and he just does it outta nowhere now".

My question is, what's so hard about a one-footed takeoff? That's the only way I can dunk. I can easily throw down two handed, but I can't do it off a two foot takeoff!

Topic #4118 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know people that can get it off 2 feet but not off 1 foot. I can get it off 1 foot but not off 2 feet.

Both rely on different muscles when jumping and both have different techniques when jumping. If you develop one muscle more than the other it'll depend on how you jump. Not sure exactly what muscles each take off needs, though I remember reading an in depth topic about this somewhere on the net.

But like most things, practice and developing the specific muscles will determine what way you jump.

I'm sure someone will be able to give a better definition.

Reply #47869 | Report this post

Question!  
Years ago

I think I read somewhere once a breakdown of like the different muscle groups required for different types of jumps. Like for a two foot takeoff, 65% of that is your quads working, but a one foot takeoff is like 50%

Reply #47870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754