Dome Rat
Years ago

Majok in Singapore?

Majok Deng was denied entry into Singapore due to his Sudanese heritage when the team arrived. Has this been fixed up yet? Does anyone know?

Topic #41799 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Alot of it has to do with if they have visited certain regions or have known associates.

Every carries on about USA travel ban but a number of countries have had similar bans/lists in place for a number of years just with alot less fan fair.

For Majok's sake i hope they get it cleared up as by all reports he is a fantastic person.

Reply #647190 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Majok one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Saw him a couple of weeks ago and he was so excited to visit Singapore as one of his best mates from Windsor Gardens was from the island state. Sad if denied entry, hope it gets figured out. Was he sent straight back to Australia?

Reply #647192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if someone is a "nice person" as that is beside the point. Singapore being a very organised country are aware of threats from danger regions, unlike Australia where anything goes.

Reply #647203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love it when Hoops gets political!

Reply #647211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shouldn't this be titled "majok not in singapore?"

Reply #647212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was dengied entry.

Reply #647216 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"anything goes"... Right. We've got an infamous detention center off our shores, and some of the most infamous border control staff too.

Anyway, back to hoops. Sucks for Deng, and a learning experience for the league. It's great that the Sixers are doing a tournament like this, but these are the type of situations teams need to be aware of when bringing teams to other countries. Probably the last thing to cross anyone on the Sixers' minds.

Reply #647218 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't think there is a rule to ban Sudanese or Africans into Singapore, its a commercial and tourism hub.

They do have the questions like have you been to Africa in the last 6 months etc but that is for health reasons.

Reply #647222 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Sounds like a visa stuff-up and he's back in Adelaide

Reply #647223 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Confused as to where I stated that being a nice person counts in matters such as these?

Reply #647227 | Report this post

36er Fan  
Years ago

IMHO the major issue here is why the 36ers office did not address or enquire about this issue before the team left Adelaide. This seems to be poor administration and nothing else.

Reply #647229 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Could be visa related as mentioend above as they won't be entering Singapore under a common tourist visa would they?

Reply #647231 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-basketballer-majok-deng-refused-entry-into-singapore-ahead-of-preseason-tournament/news-story/c9a63346fd6f53882e842c4f7f9f1fc1

Reply #647234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Staff at the 36ers were unaware he needed the visa so had not applied for it on his behalf.

Their job is to be aware of it. Pathetic really.

Reply #647235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Sixers were going to play in Merlion Cup last year but had to change plans since Blitz was played at the same time, then they were given an invite to 2017. So they've had a year plus prior to the 2016 pre season to do their research on this. Amateur hour.

Reply #647236 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Let's be civil about this and call it a lesson learned.

Reply #647241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe's there. Why is that the case and Majok isn't?
Since when does "For Majok's sake I hope they get it cleared up as by all reports he is a fantastic person."
Mean anything? Nope. Oh Hi my name is Majok and people on Hoops think I am a nice guy. Please let me in.
Admin should be over it from the time the invite was received.

Reply #647247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and invite goes back to early 2016.

Reply #647250 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nice guy but not his or Adelaides fault.

If club didn't know he had visited a "no go" zone before his time at the club asking the question based on his background would be seen by many as racial/ethnic profiling as you can bet they wouldn't have asked Creek the same question.

In our current PC outraged world if word got out they asked him and no one else there would be all sorts of out rage.

Reply #647261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did you call yourself "Reality" then speak a whole lot of shit?

Reply #647263 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Reality what the hell are you talking about? That "no go zone" is Majok's country of birth which he fled as a humanitarian refugee to Australia via way of Kenya. He hasn't been back since.

He's an Australian with a Australian passport, which would list his place of birth as Bor, Sudan, which is what has prevented him from entering the country. Singapore is visa free for Australians hence why the sixers presumed no problem.

Reply #647282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being born in a no go zone = visited that zone once you came out of the womb.

Pretty simple.

Reply #647286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's effectively the same thing.

Wish Australia was more proactive with no go zones.

Reply #647287 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

But what's this crap about asking about his background creating an issue of recital profiling? It's common knowledge where he is from.

Reply #647305 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

As i said all reports are he is a good bloke and with an Aussie passport so the club shouldn't have expected any issues.

Its not the clubs fault and they surely can;t ask the question if he has ever visited his country of birth which last time i checked is a no-go zone for immigration/visitors for many countries around the world.

Reply #647310 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

But they don't need to ask if he has visited his country of birth, it's his country of birth, by the act of being born there he has visited it.

Reply #647315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ finally someone gets it :)

Reply #647328 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Haha wow going around in circles.

It was "Reality" who did not understand that there was no need to ask Majok's country of birth.

Reply #647358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok

Reply #647364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It had nothing to do with having visited a "no go zone" it was document related. People should get there facts straight before commenting. Gotta love a forum.

Reply #647486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Old news

Reply #647487 | Report this post

Anono  
Years ago

Fabricated junk

Reply #647739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754