Anonymous
Years ago

Will more female players swap to AFLW ?

More teams,more money,will bigger name players make the exodus?

Topic #42181 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No big names, the big name players are all professional and play year round.

AFL W play for 3 months of the year and then have a day job for the other 9 months. Even the best player, Erin Phillips coaches in the WNBA for her full time job.

Will only attract fringe basketball talent. Their growth will come from young girls playing at an early age.

Reply #657133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good answer.Maybe not see the effects until future years with possible talent to make basketball second priority behind AFL

Reply #657134 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Agree, it'll be more fringe players swapping over, or even players in the twilight of their sporting careers like Phillips and Jess Bibby. IMO it may dilute future talent pools in around 5+ years though if young girls are choosing to play AFL over basketball from a young age.

Reply #657137 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The AFLW will grow as the AFL wants it to grow.

Salaries will increase each season and I would expect initially the AFL will fund this through general revenue until the competition can attract more sponsors, or the AFL make it a condition of competing in the men's league that a women's team must compete.

At grass root level women's football is very small so until that grows to rival other women's sport the top level will continue to rely on getting women from other sports to fill the top spots.

At the moment, the league is basically an "exhibition league" full of promises getting propped up by external sources.

Reply #657145 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Now is not the issue as they can play both, it's in 5 years time when the women's AFL has expanded and played alongside the men's, and all the current 12-16 year old girls who are choosing AFL right now stop playing their second sport.

Reply #657159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't even know there was junior aussie rules for girls... lol.

Reply #657173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for Hannah Mouncey's debut.

Reply #657319 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

One of Australia's junior reps, Monique Conti was drafted last month to play AFLW. She intends to play both for the moment.

Reply #657325 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Junior girls leagues are growing rapidly. Each club around SA pushing girls sides into the comp.

Junior girls are starting to move into AFL as well, this is both a great thing (cross skilling juniors has always been the best for kids) and a worry for the sport of basketball. Both codes games clash in winter (fri night games mainly for under 17's and down).

My daughter is playing div 1 basketball currently but seriously considering giving up bball in winter for footy as she loves the freedom football gives, more kids on the field less pressure to not make mistakes and in her mind, more fun.

Reply #657380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My daughter is playing div 1 basketball currently but seriously considering giving up bball in winter for footy as she loves the freedom football gives, more kids on the field less pressure to not make mistakes and in her mind, more fun."

I was actually the opposite as a kid. I played Footy from around ages 6-12 then switched to basketball at 12 after enjoying it at school. I was alright at footy but not above average or anything. I did like it and love watching it now still, but i found basketball more fun to actually play.

Footy can at times be really boring with so many people on the field. If your team is getting flogged and you're in the forwardline you might not see the ball in ages, or if your teams winning easily and your in the backline you can go ages without being involved. It used to get a bit boring at times when some games you might only get a few touches while others you might have a heap. There can be patches where you just don't feel that involved in the game.

With basketball though you feel like you're involved in the play constantly. Even if you're having a bad game and not doing much, you're still always just involved with the game.

Reply #657407 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Many of my daughters basketball mates who are involved at the top level in their age group (12 - 15 year olds) are picking up footy and with their fitness, strength and agility they are shining in footy.

I do think the marketing machines and money going into AFLW will see girls identified in the footy stream talent pathways and we will lose girls to the sport.

Reply #657642 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:36 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754