knowledge4all
Years ago

BigV 2018

Its that time of year again!!!

Julie Anderson has stepped down as BigV CEO so interesting to see who takes up the new role...

Obvious news is that Diamond Valley and Melbourne will be playing in SEABL for the 2018 year. Keilor & Blackburn D1M have made the move to go up to SCM with Whittlesea being relegated to D1M and Collingwood being promoted to D1M.

Billie Lucas (Chelsea D1W) & Tanarly Hood (Latrobe City D1W) have made the move to SCW with the Casey Cavaliers.

Would be great to hear of rumored signings and possible player movements.

Topic #42191 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melton Men relegated to Div 2, Ivan Harris has joined Keilor.

Reply #657403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Macabbi back in D2M

Reply #657412 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Casey d2w, not scw. Went the other way from d1

Reply #657441 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Hearing that Coburg D2M have recruited well in the off season.

Partially expecting Bulleen to struggle a bit this season unless they manage to get another strong import or retain Bozeman. Sunderland is probably a bigger loss than most people on here would think.

Seems to have been a quieter offseason than usual. Interested to see what Blackburn's championship men squad will look like.

Reply #657446 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

Casey Womens still D1!

Reply #657451 | Report this post

Dione58  
Years ago

Sunbury SCW seem like they will be keeping their core in O'Relliy, Stevens, Stockill and Burns. But need to find replacement for Duever who is out for the season after doing her ACL at the WNBL level.

Reply #657454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the NBL refs are in Big V for 2018.

Reply #657459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bozeman signed at Waverley hasn't he ??

Reply #657513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn might need one or two additions but if they can retain the same squad from last season I think that will be good enough to be competitive and win 5-7 games in my opinion.

Reply #657544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn will add an import at least, maybe even 2 if they have the budget.

Reply #657556 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The McKinnon Cougars have announced their imports for season 2018.

SCM returning import players Dillon Stith and Dondray Walker along with SCW player Ariel Thomas and new import Megan Kritscher.

Reply #657559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think that Blackburn will be fairly competitive in SCM if they retain the majority of their squad from 2017. Adding an import or two will help them a lot

Reply #657678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Rogers looks like he is rebuilding the Sherbrook program

Reply #657812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea D1 men looking near unbeatable

Reply #657814 | Report this post

Thebear  
Years ago

Must of recruited a number of damn good players.
Who are they

Reply #657827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who else have Chelsea got ??

I have heard Standerfer, Brasser, Jake Martin and John King which is good but certainly not unbeatable....

Reply #657967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jake martin has signed at goldfield in WA.
John king , the guy that emails or calls every club in the country every year but never seems to play?

Reply #657968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be very interesting to see how Sherbrooke go this season under coach Rogers. Known for his recruiting, will he utilize some of their VYCM player and promote them to play D2M? Miraflores is a good signing but one has to question as to why he has been to so many clubs?

The signing of Nikoloff is a good one. He can shoot the ball and given the opportunity he will do well.

Reply #657972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standerfer looking to get citizenship so they can add an import....

Reply #657975 | Report this post

Thebear  
Years ago

So,it's just hot air

Reply #658070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO @ John King

Reply #658072 | Report this post

Thebear  
Years ago

Time for the big fella to come back to the gulls ,vlad tandov

Reply #658087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John King will be a permanent resident soon.

Reply #658099 | Report this post

Thebear  
Years ago

Do all coaches have to hold a working with children's card.?

Reply #658203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John King will tear D1 a apart.. guy can seriously play. Why is he playing D1 at Chelsea? They must be spending $$$$$$$$$

Reply #658243 | Report this post

Z  
Years ago

Chelsea have also added a few others. They obviously are trophy hunting. Should have gone up to SCM like they were told to.

"Fishing in a small lake with a ton of dynamite"

Reply #658245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Thebear, Why do you ask.

Think most would have a WWC card regardless of the rules.

Reply #658259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you basing John king 'tearing' d1 apart on? There is a reason no club picks him up every season. Guy would be a role player if he was a local.
Biggest problem for Chelsea is if they think it's going to be a cake walk because they licked their way into a gf. If bulleen didn't lose martin Chelsea would have finished 4th and been knocked out in week one of finals playing keilor. New season, new teams, everyone starts 0 - 0. The problem chelsea have is that they have to start or first sub is a player who has no impact on the game whatsoever. Depth will be an issue. Corey will still carry them to top 4. God help them if he misses games through injuries.

Reply #658278 | Report this post

Thebear  
Years ago

So,if a coach loses,or has his WWCC taken from him,is he entitled to continue on?
Very interested and concerned.it saddens me how organisations sweep problems under the carpet.
They should come out on the front foot and let everyone know what action(s)have been taken.
This would be in the best interest of the sport and the public in general

Reply #658311 | Report this post

Thebear  
Years ago

So,if a coach loses,or has his WWCC taken from him,is he entitled to continue on?
Very interested and concerned.it saddens me how organisations sweep problems under the carpet.
They should come out on the front foot and let everyone know what action(s)have been taken.
This would be in the best interest of the sport and the public in general

Reply #658312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John king has turned down offers every season as they didn't suit him. This does so he will play.

D1M will be much much weaker next year. Chelsea will be a fair bit stronger, you work it out.

Reply #658321 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Pakenham men and yl will be very very strong again this year.

Reply #658586 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea will have the same team so how will they be stronger? They should of lost to Melbourne Uni in the semi's. They have a superstar in Standerfer but if properly scouted they had nothing else after that. Basically it was showed by Keilor and other teams they lost to last year.

Reply #658615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are people's view on how Collingwood will go in D1M?

One would assume being a inner city club, they won’t have much trouble in recruiting players from all regions of Melbourne.

Reply #658894 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Manny Hendrix is a very good player for Collingwood and already has the experience at the D1 level so he should do fine but they will need to recruit some solid bigs to be really competitive.

Reply #658896 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

If they feel the need to add another import then obviously they don't have faith in the team they had last season.

Reply #659055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DV's big recruitment announcement Meg Crupi

Reply #659060 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^^Did you forget that DV is in SEABL???

Reply #659067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Corio Bay will drop out of SCM, they will probably struggle to win a game if they stay there?

Reply #659086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do BigV clubs hold open tryouts?

Reply #659089 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Whittlesea seemed to.

Reply #659094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does someone join a SCM team?

Reply #659097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep checking league and club websites or facebook pages for Big V open trials.

Reply #659122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Ross is on the look out for a new club after giving Pakenham the news that he will not be returning in 2018.

Reply #659192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, that's funny if you know

Reply #659205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Nick.....

Reply #659206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow...,,

Reply #659207 | Report this post

New Sting  
Years ago

@659086 Corio Bay has a new coach Paul Hutchinson rumor around Geelong of big things happening. I believe they are playing SCM.

Reply #659230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is rubbish, competition teams have been decided a while ago, Geelong are in Div 1 Men and Corio Bay are in SCM where they have been forever...

Reply #659246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he's referring to rumours around Geelong, about Corio which is in Geelong, and playing in SCM

Reply #659247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"New Sting" is probably Hutchy himself

Reply #659248 | Report this post

New Sting  
Years ago

Thanks 247 that is what I meant...CB looking impressive if the rumors are correct.

Reply #659290 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nick ross to hawthorn

Reply #659303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is nick Ross??

Reply #659312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you ask Nick he's a combo guard similar skill set to Kyrie except with a better 3 ball.

Reply #659316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn will surprise teams, very versatile and if Jack Roberts sticks around they'll likely be mid table. Won't be adding imports just not their style or budget, all the blokes have played there for years though so chemistry is top notch compared to a lot of teams that cobble rosters together each season.

Reply #659327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the players Blackburn have picked up over the past couple of seasons from Sherbrooke, Warrandyte etc also played there for years ??

The sides that have to battle and "cobble rosters together" ensure there is a competitive and viable competition.

Who would the likes of Blackburn play against if some of these battling clubs didn't make the effort to "cobble rosters together" ??

These clubs do a very good job from what is usually not an ideal situation !!

Reply #659330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am hearing Hawthorn have signed Nelson Kirksey, interesting if true, hope they have done their homework....

Reply #659331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened with Nelson at Kilsyth?

Reply #659340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't make them better. Good athlete. Got boards. Needed buckets. They needed a 6'3" electric guard that could score from the perimeter. He wasn't that. They had better balance when they played the young shooters. That was my view from the outside.

Could be really good in the right team with the right balance of players around him, especially at Big V.

Reply #659345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay, so what are those rumors about Corio Bay that will make them competitive again in SCM after they could hardly win a game last season? Hutchy is 40+ and will not make any impact on court, he may be a decent coach but he is no Mark leader, so where is the improvement coming from not they lost Reardon and Hicks?

Reply #659501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingrays will be competitive but I don't think they will challenge the top teams. Hard to replace a stud like Hicks who dominated Champ Men and doing well back in SEABL. Stingrays should have dropped a division in my opinion. Talk is only one import which will make things even harder for the "RAYS"

Reply #659522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has gone 'wrong' within the Stringrays camp over the last year to cause all this? Firstly, losing Reardon to Waverley and then Hicks to Geelong SEABL.

Is there some underlining factor that has caused this?

O'Leary only coached them for a season and appears not to have retained the top job, although he may have just been care taking.

Why this fall from grace?

Reply #659546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was always not very sustainable model. Once key guys would leave/retire they were going to struggle.

Reply #659552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any practice games lined up before Christmas?

Reply #659565 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Every team needs some years to redevelop and improve. Thats why I don't agree with the relegation system the BigV applies. I'm pretty sure Eltham finished last a few times and they were never relegated.......Give Corio some time to fix things. Players change teams all the time albeit the Reardon situation but remember they entered the Comp in 2012 and made finals in its first year. Won in 2013, lost in the Granny 2014, winning in 2015, lost in the Granny in 2016 and struggled mightily in 2017.

So I think they can have a few years to develop so local youth and Hutchy will be a good coach for them.

Reply #659579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any practice games results so far?

Reply #659823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big question is who can knock of Ringwood... very consistent and with a floor general in Snowball I just don't see them not making the grand final series for another year. Waverley will be around the mark but who else.

Reply #659917 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood are only getting older. Depending on what imports they get this year will be key to them being successful. How old is Snowball now? But he still super effective! Young players take notes.

Reply #660345 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

the league is getting weaker so if Ringwood's imports are solid they'll go close again as the locals they have are experienced and know the league well.

Reply #660347 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that the league is definitely getting a lot weaker! Not enough fringe NBL players coming back to play in the state leagues anymore besides SEABL. Wouldn't surprise me if Keilor go close to the title next year.

Reply #660349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keilor will finish middle of the road at best. They will not compete with the top sides. Not enough local talent to do anything in state champ.

Reply #660356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that Eric Gaff will play Stingrays next season so Corio Bay will get a quality big to fill the 5 spot who is as good if not better than anyone else in BigV next year.

Reply #660385 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Gaff will help limit the pain on defence but he does score enough they'll need some scoring punch otherwise they are still gonna get smacked!

Reply #660435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey will look good next year. Will compete at the top of state champ men and also Div 1 women

Reply #660582 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Packy youth league looking scary good! Looked well coached and demolished Keysy last night 98-70

Keysy had some of there D1 men players play

I'm not from either club just went down for a look and was impressed

Reply #660637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any NBL players expected to land in Big V? If so who? For what team?

Reply #662072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Thoseby and Hodgson returning to the Raiders?

Reply #662080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand how thoseby was even able to get a nbl contract. A "shooter" that can’t shoot. He can’t defend and looks horrible when he dribbles.

Reply #662086 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Agree with Anon but Gaze liked him after the tour of China where he paid his own way to go on that tour as an extra body.

Its speaks volumes for Gaze & Co when you look at the roster who they've picked up to fill out the bench hence when injuries came they showed no where near go enough to even hold there own.

Reply #662098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they give out sympathy contracts in the nbl?

Reply #662109 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

These are off the top of my head

Kings: Adam Thoseby - Amritpal Singh
United: Tohi Smith Milner
36ers: Adam Doyle - (Tey perhaps)
Cairns: Ash Constable
Hawks: Cody Ellis - Indiana Faithful
NZ: James Hunter

It was Melb Tiger culture back in the day to fill the end of the bench with "mates" or "boys" of the main players as training bait rather than a competitive bench to challenge the rotation players for minutes. The issue is when you ve injuries you get stuck playing these guys who simply aren;t up to it and will never develop into NBL level players.

Reply #662112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoseby paid his own way on the China trip ? Lmao. If true no wonder Kings are in deep shit.

Reply #662115 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^Exactly^^^^^^^^

I say it all the time, their are plenty guys out there that would be better than the guys they are giving opportunities too. While the NBL has made leaps in bounds in being noticed on a international level some teams bench guys are not up to scratch at all!!! The second unit is almost just as important as the first unit....

Reply #662116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox would be fools to bring back thoseby who finished big v 2017 averaging 5 ppg in last games of season. And hodegson who didn't play the entire last month.

Reply #662135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody have any idea how both Keilor teams are shaping up after their promotion to State Championship?

I'd imagine the women would add an import. On the men’s side they seem to have a good group of core players

Reply #662232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keilor have added Ivan Harris from Melton. One wonders how that lineup will go.

Reply #662241 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Keilor will have 2 imports plus 2 naturalized imports in their starting 5

*Import tba
Chuck Hayes
Ivan Harris
Jordan Coleman
Liam Norton

Reply #662249 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Ivan Harris is not naturalized so will be an Import.

They have Chuck Long from last year, Liam Norton (thats news), Jordan Coleman? and all the regular locals from last year including Jason Todorov as well from Melton I believe.

Reply #662254 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Harris is about to become Aussie

Reply #662255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not many bench minutes for the Keilor role players... Hopefully Jordan Coleman can crack it for a starting gig in the first half of the season this year....

Reply #662270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That group mentioned above won't compete at top end of state champ. Chuck shot barley 30% last year. Ivan is streaky scorer at best. They both got a year older and slower

Reply #662275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who were the best champ & div 1 imports last year? Are any returning?

Reply #662278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood have brought back Jacob Gibson and signed newcomer Scottie Stone.

Reply #662279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Kaba returning for Knox.

Dillion Stith and Dondray Walker returning for McKinnon.

Brandon Polk and Raheem Lemons returning for Casey.

Apparently stated above Ringwood have Jacob Gibson returning

Reply #662280 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

SCM is not much different than Div1...Those days of it being a step above is not the case anymore...Keilor will be fine. Chuck Long, Ivan Harris and Jordan Coleman with a few others will be able to compete and get wins against those teams in SCM....Who were some of SCM best players last year compared to D1M.
SCM
Chris Kaba(import), Dillon Stith(import), Brandon Polk(import), Matthew Hodgson, Jeremy Smith(import), Lee Jeka, Matthew Snowball, Ben Waldren, Chris Arkell, Desmond Simmons(import), Michael McCahey(import), Cam Baker(import), Ben Louis, Brad Kelleher, Mike Rose(import), Alex Bogart King, Justin Aver etc......

D1M
Corey Standerfer(import), Justin Patton(import), Xavier Blount(import), Damon Bozeman(import), Deondre McWhorter(import), Liam Norton, Alex Gynes, Calvin Inge, Javari Williams(import), Nick Masunda, Kourtlin Jackson(import), Tim Gainey, Brenden Trewella etc.....

Reply #662308 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Dylan Travis has signed to play in the BigV. Not sure what team but here are his highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qil4sXTmJTo

Reply #662309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 308 so you think those D1 guys could compete in Champ? Have any champ teams picked up some of the better D1 imports?

Reply #662312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Louis? This the same guy that averaged 6 turnovers per guy last year?

Reply #662316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dylan Travis has signed for western port.

Reply #662317 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Big V isn;t what it used to be particularly SCM.

Reply #662322 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Dante Exum's brother playing for Whittlesea.

Reply #662324 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I agree ^^^

Reply #662325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big v isn't as good as it once was. Because players that average 6 turnovers are being classed as good players in the league

Reply #662327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could any of those imports from SCM or D1 play SEABL?

Reply #662329 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The way Dante is going he'll be back there in a few years so good be a good combo!

Reply #662330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seabl over hyped. Seabl teams lose to SCM all the time in preseason games.

A lot of those imports played Seabl previously.

Reply #662331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because the SEABL teams don't care about betting Big V teams in the pre-season. It's like big brother beating up on little brother.

Reply #662332 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^Excuses...They just don't want to be seen losing to BigV teams because they will lose credibility.....There are heaps of players from the BigV Level that have went on to play NBL...

Reply #662333 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 312

Absolutely, and like someone already mentioned most of those guys have played SEABL AND SCM and averaged good numbers in those leagues.

Reply #662334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge excuse!

Frankston and Melbourne wouldn't beat the top 5 teams of state champ from last season.

Reply #662335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you back and see how teams have gone when stepping up, most have been fine. They add a few pieces etc and do well with their core.
McKinnon made a gf within two years of going up with core pieces from their d1 team. Made finals in first season.

It's mainly about signin good imports and the club being committed long term. Whittlesea won d1 a few years ago to get promoted but one year after the coach leaves and they have been relegated.

Reply #662336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Made finals their first season in State Champ last season...

Reply #662337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and sooo many of those Big V players have had NBL careers similar to those of Redhage and Kelly. The simple fact that players like Luke Egan (lovely bloke but he is in his 40's) can put up 40 points in a SCM game and ave close to 18ppg is an indication of the level of Big V.

Heck Sobey went back to Warnambool (Div 1) in 2016 when he hardly played for the 36ers and nearly averaged 40 ppg. Big V has and always will be trash.

Reply #662340 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ coming from an anonymous post....the last few posts have been facts so no need to get butthurt...The simple thing is SEABL is not as elite as people think but neither is BigV...Talent across the board is down but Individual talent is there...

Reply #662341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see a stud like Thoseby who averaged a healthy 18 ppg in Big V SCM tearing it up in the NBL at 1.3 ppg.

I'm not the butthurt anonymous poster throwing insults lol

Reply #662343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really the discussion is that SEABL has greater depth in its league than any other 2nd tier competition in country.

The top 3 or 4 teams in QBL could easily compete and make finals in SEABL without question, then their quality drops away quickly the more you go down the ladder.

The rest of the other state league competitions are bordering on rubbish. Big V, Waratah and the SA premier league are not good leagues top to bottom. Premier league improved in 2017 after they removed some import restrictions.

Every league has some individual talent but anyone who says Big V is even close to SEABL across the board, top to bottom is seriously deluded.

Reply #662345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best teams from the WA SBL would compete in QBL/SEABL also. But like the BigV the depth drops away FAST after the top 2 or 3 teams.

Reply #662357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be the best teams this season in Big V SCM? Big V D1M? Big V SCW? Big V D1W?

Reply #662358 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Those top WA SBL teams could compete particular with the a few Wildcats players and imports in the mix. but it drops away as well after the top 2/3 teams.

Reply #662385 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It would be great to see the top two or so QBL, WA and other Sate league teams in SEABL, that is how it should be.

As for the BigV, I think it is probably the top State league in Australia, probably has the biggest depth of all leagues.

Reply #662399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear you might see something similar before you know.

Reply #662405 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Big V used to be legit but last 5 years it really fallen away.

Still better than CABL/Waratah thou

Reply #662406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Premier League in SA would be close to Big V champ & ahead of Div 1 Big V

Have there been imports or others who have played in both leagues recently? How was Starling in Big V?

Reply #662407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is SA Premier League stronger than Big V Div 1.

Reply #662417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville's mvp from 2 seasons ago went to Kilsyth in SEABL and got sacked pretty quick last yeah

Reply #662418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling was ok when played for Warrnambool D1M. One of their best players but a lot of players and imports in D1M were better.

Reply #662423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many of the imports shooting percentages from SA Premier League wouldn't be tolerated at Big V level, some of them are horrendous, particularly from the foul line.

Reply #662449 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So Bear, why "should it be" that the top couple of teams from those other states compete in SEABL?

The SEABL is an over-funded cash drain, that produces very little. That is not to say it is a bad competition, it is not, but I as I have said many times here before, it actually doesn't achieve much, relative to the cost of competing and staging.

Reply #662467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you're saying the better Big V D1 imports would compete in Premier League/SBL type leagues?

Reply #662477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easily.

Reply #662481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys like Corey Standerfer, Justin Patton, Xavier Blount, Damon Bozeman, Deondre McWhorter - how good are they? Could any play NBL? Be effective SEABL imports? Or be ok in other state leagues QBL/SBL/ PL?

Reply #662485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talks of Jorden page and possibly an NBL player going to Casey.

Reply #662504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay announce team list:

"2018 State Championship Men's team, lead by Coach Paul Hutchison, looks to be another great year for our Stingrays Family.

We are excited to announce our team, including both returning and new players;
Michael Rebula, Joel McFall, Griffin Errey, Chris Eichler, Cohen Blythe, Steven Wiasak, Jackson Bentley and Phil Renteria

The Squad Members include;
Dane Bowe, Ethan McIntyre, Mitchell Stoop, Michael Todorovic, Chris Hill

Our Stingrays Family continues to grow and we look forward to the 'Singlet Presentation' in the new year."

Reply #662515 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

HO, how are you mate, long time...........?

We can debate the financial benefits or lack there of for any sports and probably come up with an interesting pro-com list I reckon. Maybe you are looking at it the wrong way or too subjectively, but that's just my opinion, you have your own views which is fine of course.

I see SEABL as having the potential to be our winter season second tier-NBL competition, it just needs more support. I also see that if we could have a winter and summer national competition it could improve the promotion of the game and keep players in it at a higher level, create more pathways and generate more passion for the sport in general.

Those are just some of my reasons, off the top of my head that is.

It would be a good debate for us to have, discussing the value of the SEABL or a similar league, maybe a new thread even, :)...?

By the way mate, have a great Xmas and safe NY!!

Reply #662516 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

BTW I meant pro-con list.........sorry!

Reply #662517 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just to clear something up, I am not saying SEABL isn't already our second tier national competition, I am suggesting it can improve and expand by taking on the best one or two teams from each State league as a good start...

Begin the debate my friend.......

Reply #662518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey wanted Adam Doyle, but now injured.
Jordan Page a definite option.

Reply #662547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey sticking to their locals quota well

Reply #662551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Corio Bay by my calculations still has 4 spots to announce. Congrats to Rays on Bentley, Waisak great get from Supercats and Renteria from Hume. So who are imports anyone heard anything.

Reply #662552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it that when we compare these leagues, it's always done through the prism of the Men's league?

SEABL Women is easily the second best women's league in Australia. Easily. No question.

With regard to the Men's SEABL - there is a discussion to be had but again IMO, SEABL is stronger across the board. Put the two together and it's not even close.

Reply #662556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hear Casey coach recruiting DKD now.

Reply #662560 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Believe Corio Bay were chasing Gaff, so wait for that call to be made official...

Reply #662802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Bear, is Gaff considered an import as I understood he was applying to be Aust Citizen.

Reply #662846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaff classed as import. That's the reason Geelong seabl releases him. Didn’t want him to take up their second import spot. Wanted him as citizen but his citizenship fell through.

Reply #662856 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Bear, the SEABL probably already is our second tier competition to the NBL. But there are still lots of questions to be asked about it.

It doesn't serve as a development league, if only that in a practical sense it doesn't operate at the same time as the NBL. Lots of people tout it as a devel league, but it just doesn't achieve much in that regard. NBL teams are recruiting Australians out of College now generally, not out of SEABL, so it isn't fit for purpose - as someone pointed out earlier this may be different for the women.

If we accept that as a basis, why do we need a costly interstate league as our second tier? Why not kill the ridiculous travel, and simply stage it as a 10 or 12 team Vic based league, where no air travel is required? That would also allow better scheduling, more relevant rivalries etc. Mid week games could be staged where venues allow (school holidays maybe).

Let Mt Gambier play in SA Premier and make that comp better. Force Tassie to go their own way. Force Canberra into Waratah, ask AW to change their name to WA and let them stay in Vic.

Why is BA even running it? It is at odds with BA's core membership as I have said here a few times as well.

Reply #663186 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

HO, I will agree wholeheartedly that SEABL in its current situation is not serving its potential and purpose, that's obvious.

I guess we agree that it either expands and is developed into what it's potential should be and to that end I would support my theory, however if it is left statistical quo then yes, it could be scrapped in order to improve each State league.

The issue I would have then is that the result would likely be a very, very strong Victorian State league, compared to some less than average leagues in comparison.

It has to be decided, but who would decide it...?

Reply #663189 | Report this post

Hmmmm  
Years ago

I don't believe SEABL has ever wanted to be a developmental league. So why do people try to pin it as one? There are not enough teams nor talent in the WNBL or NBL to support a D League anyway.

Reply #663230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think people are saying SEABL would be a D league, but the fact that guys like Adnam, Moller, Sobey and alike are being recognised at that level suggests that maybe it can serve as a stepping stone for some. I think people are just saying SEABL could be a winter league at National level if it expanded but it needs to go one way or the other. I think if it stays as it is the cost of travel will always be a problem. Makes it an expensive league for only a few teams not in Vic.

Reply #663237 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Sobey played QBL and Big V

Reply #663248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Ballarat Miners

Reply #663251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL at Ballarat

Reply #663252 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

SEABL plays a very important part in Australian basketball. It is clearly a notch up from State Leagues. Higher quality imports and generally better Australians. Gives a pathway to NBL and an opportunity for young or fringe NBL players to improve their games in off season. Australian Basketball is very strong and with only 7 Australian NBL teams there is a need for a higher level second tier comp. (every other serious basketball country has one or more ) Yes NBL does recruit from college but very few college players go directly to NBL. A number of very good Australians also don't go to college. Very few NBL players returning to Big V most to SEABL. The players know its a higher level comp. BTW if the Melbourne Clubs didn't want to invest in it they don't have to. They do because its a great competition. Yes it could be better.

Reply #663256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seabl also gives opportunity for imports like Evans junior at Cairns. It is an excellent comp for the winter months when no Nbl and catures for more players. Hopefully one or two seabl teams can soon get Nbl teams as well, Hobart and possibly Geelong.

Reply #663261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has page from dandenong signed with Casey?

Reply #663291 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Question...

if you were a player turning 17 next year ... what would be a better step..... 18/1 s with a possible VC club or a DP with a YL2 side?

Reply #663403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

southern Joe ... 18/1 s with a possible VC club any day

Reply #663408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Joe would you not do both like most other DP !!

Reply #663420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can be at two different clubs.
Play VC at one and then Big V at another.

Reply #663476 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Thanks for the replies thus far ... the plan was to do both ... but the junior option didn't pan out. Long story short.

Reply #663498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More details Joe

Reply #663510 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Not wanting to get into details .. but maybe I should have worded what I wanted an opinion on better.

What should be harder to make .....an 18/1s team with a good chance of making VC or a YL2?

Reply #663577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange question on this thread. VJBL going into phase 2 of grading so your son has not made an U18 side for this season. Other option may be new club and VJBL U21 as this has not started. DP players train only and then sit on the bench so your son may be better playing Friday nights, no rush to make YL.

Reply #663580 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the latest around the league? BigV are slow with news? 2018 Draw etc...

Reply #667072 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Western Port D1M & D1W have new imports

Dylan Travis & Attirah Munir

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2018&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=01&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5393&cHash=7ade914d66d593c9687b4ce1cc2ef083

Reply #667073 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Jorden Page & Matt Donlan to Casey Cavaliers SCM

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2018&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=01&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5392&cHash=f03dacf2413c3608eb3cbaf21f76e84b

Reply #667074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predictions on teams that make playoffs in each division?

Reply #668963 | Report this post

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

Any teams in pre-season games already or outstanding results from these. Can't read too much into them I guess but always keen to hear who is running hot in pre-season.

Reply #671169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latrobe City lost to pakenham 90-88 in preseason match few weeks ago.

Reply #673990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latrobe minus their imports ?
Who did they have running around ?

Reply #673992 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Keilor SCM beat Waverly SCM the other weekend as well. Not sure what players were missing.

Reply #673999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LAtrobe had both imports in the loss.

Reply #674022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^anon

Hawthorn SCM beat Keilor SCM.

Reply #674025 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Travis Julien

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2018&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=02&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5403&cHash=fb267a7e6237def644da1a745531d193

Reply #674562 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

New Import D1W - Alyssa Bennett (Werribee)

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2018&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=02&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=5404&cHash=8db27b484e23996eb37a55ffdf41dfb4

Reply #674563 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

What's happening in BigV Land....

State Champ Men & Women have been really quiet as of yet....

Is the standard down on talent???

Reply #686551 | Report this post

VB  
Years ago

In the women's competition the standard is way up. A few teams running around that could push for a mid to top ladder position in SEABL, particularly Waverley.

Sunbury won it all last year, have added an ex-Opal in Elyse Penaluna and another import, and kept the core of their group together, and they are sitting with three losses way down the ladder. Speaks to the strength of the comp.

Reply #686554 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Appreciate the update ^^^

Definitely sounds like the Women's Comp needs more attention...

Reply #686561 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Womens is pretty strong this year for sure with teams recruiting well and very good on paper.

Mens on the other hand has fallen away again, watched a couple of games now and its down on last year let alone a few years back.

Reply #686575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SCM is still a very good comp!

Obviously SEABL adding Melbourne and DV the last few years has diluted the available talent a little. But all in all still very good.

Big V need to be careful they dont lose any more teams to SEABL as that will impact the standard.

Reply #686600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V is yawn! Terrible Terrible league, poorly run talentless boring shit.

Reply #686634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any thoughts or ideas on who will make up the all star 5 in each division?

Any clear MVP picks?

Reply #696955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754