Booker 99
Years ago

Female refs in NBL?

Thoughts on why there aren't more women whistle blowing at elite levels?

Are women more interested in reffing WNBL or is there culture problems afoot? It can't be a capability thing (male refs vs. female), because clearly even midgets like Caldwell can pass the athletic requirements.

Be interested to know if anyone has any insider info on what's happening in the development space, have heard the NBL talk about Butler's ERP (Elite Ref Program) but nothing specifically about trying to create diversity in the up and coming recruits.

As a female, it'd be awesome to see more women involved in the officiating of the big boys.

Topic #42238 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"create diversity" is where you lost me.

Gender is irrelevant. If a referee is capable they will reach NBL level. There is no need to create diversity. As has been commented on in numerous posts here, the NBL needs elite, professional referees who are the very best in this Country.

Gender is irrelevant.

Reply #658787 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

That's right. Why hire a female just because she is a female?

It should be the best referees getting the job.

Reply #658789 | Report this post

Booker 99  
Years ago

An interesting stance Anon, but as a woman gender representation isn't irrelevant to me - and I'm surely not the only fan who feels that way. My OP is about looking for discussion on why there aren't more female refs :) not to debate whether diversity matters.

I feel we do need to recognise that sometimes there are outdated systems in place which prevent the involvement of women (be it the premise women "aren't as good" as men, or even just that women are enticed by other more perceived feminine sports).

Basketball, like all professional sports, can only benefit from diversity in their ranks. I hope they are looking for ways to develop female refs - I just find it interesting that the WNBL seems to retain a far higher percentage of female to male officials.

Reply #658792 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Booker, I would say new refs on the NBL panel are picked on performance at WNBL, SEABL and state league level etc to see if they are capable of stepping up. Would be interested to know from people who follow those comps closely if there are any women who really standout at that level.

Reply #658793 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

So if it's based on ability why do we have the one that's there? A token appointment if I've ever seen one

Reply #658794 | Report this post

Booker 99  
Years ago

Good point Paul - I did see something about Michelle Cosier being trialled at the blitz this year, possibly will be a knock on effect, the more good female refs fed into those leagues, the more choice for the NBL in terms of development.

Reply #658798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.refereebasketball.net.au/national-referees.html
there are quite a few on the national panel covers, wnbl and seabl and nbl. so pathway certainly is there for them. follow the link above and then link to panel

Reply #658800 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Hopefully Michelle is genuinely capable of refereeing at that level: she has been unjustifiably fast-tracked the past few years.

She really struggled at U18 Nationals in 2016, yet was allocated to a gold medal game. Next thing I hear she's refereeing WNBL, and now trialing for NBL.

Reply #658802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Caldwell has reffed for about ten years now in NBL.

Whereas in the last few seasons leagues like AFL, NFL etc. kept bleating on about how they finally appointed female officials. *yawn*

We already have a female, and before most other pro leagues yet now the complain is basically "more!"

As the original anon said it is on merit not gender.

Reply #658803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michelle Cosier did not trial at the NBL pre-season blitz. She is a member of the NBL ERP program but was not invited to attend the NBL blitz this year.

Reply #658804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Females should not be picked because they are female. But if 100% of our refs are male there is clearly a limiting factor as to why females are no reaching the senior levels, I don't pretend to know what that reason is.

I often wonder why the female members of the media team are limited to the sideline calls when on many occasions speak much better than their male counterparts.

Reply #658817 | Report this post

"She really struggled at U18 Nationals in 2016, yet was allocated to a gold medal game."

Watched her over-ref a game there (blew 75% of fouls) and thought "If she reffed herself, she would be fouled off in 5 mins."
I saw her play.

Reply #658822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Toni Caldwell ruined it for everyone

Reply #658825 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes, let's shoehorn minorities and women into everything just because.

I am more worried about people getting the calls right as opposed to what genitals they have.

Reply #658835 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

The main difference I see between the male refs and the one female ref I have seen is that she doesn't have the male tendency to anticipate calls like the men do. Knee jerking guess calls seem to be in the male province. The blondish lady, I think from Qld is one of the NBL's better referees. Doesn't seem to let insecurities affect her either. IMHO. Some of the men seem to suffer from a few!

Reply #658838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^ haha yes that blonde from QLD is Toni Caldwell. Sure she knows how to make calls, quite a good ref for sure in that regard, just don't say anything to her or you will never get another call for your career lol

Reply #658839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The blonde female ref that does the Cairns games usually stands out for being a poor ref.

Reply #658850 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Just need to make sure the pathway and encouragement is there for female refs at the jr level and the rest will take care of itself.

Reply #658853 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We already have a female, and before most other pro leagues yet now the complain is basically "more!"
Must be reading another topic because in this one, a single person carefully asked about the state of female refs in the NBL. If you read that OP as a complaint, I don't know what to say.

Reply #658859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why Caldwell is getting so much stick, pretty sure we can all agree that the current state of refereeing in the NBL is poor, ruining games poor, with a complete lack of consistency. The young bloke who called the 2 unsportsmanlike fouls on United on Sunday should be busted back to D grade mens on a Sunday night, for example.

Reply #658866 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Toni hasn't been on her game this year. There was one play in Cairns v Adelaide where she missed Shorter stepping back onto the half way line right in front of her, missed the fact he didn't plant both feet when coming in from out of bounds and then got the following out of bounds call wrong. I think that was the worst I've ever seen a ref both a single series of plays.

Reply #658868 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

On the original question, I wonder if female refs see the NBL as less attractive than WNBL. The two leagues both represent the pinnacle for domestic refs and a pathweay to international representation.

However, NBL refs seem to cop more abuse and vilification, usually coming from emotionally overwrought and very large people. Does that make NBL a less rewarding and more intimidating experience for refs than WNBL? Are (the current crop of) female refs less inclined to put themselves in that environment?

Is this likely or have I underestimated the crap WNBL refs get hurled at them?

Reply #658915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ yeah Paul she 'missed' it. Either that or She remembered a comment he made in January 2011 that needed punishing...

Reply #659024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He being Fearne sorry. I don't normally weigh in but when I saw this topic I couldn't help myself. As someone who played QBL for 12 years trust me she is vindictive to the point of thoroughly unprofessional...

Reply #659025 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I've noticed that Perth Arena has never had Toni Caldwell refereeing any games yet so I'd like to see her in person before making that call but I enjoy her on the games she does on Tv.

I don't know exactly what the OP is trying to get at but I'd like to believe that if there is a referee out there good enough that the NBL try and lure them to do their games, it seems strange if they don't.

Watched an NBA game the other day and former Indiana Pacer Hayward Workman is now reffing NBA games and it makes me wonder why more NBL and WNBL players aren't transitioning into refereeing once their playing career comes to an end (for whatever reasons that may be injuries/opportunity etc). With the poorer wages a WNBL player will receive you'd imagine that becoming a referee would be an attractive pathway post playing....

Do we know of any former players that are making a name for themselves as refs?

Reply #659036 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754