Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers 18/19 Captain should be DJ

DJ showing leadership on court, steady in the clutch and deserves the reward for The only Australian in NBL first without a Boomers spot.

This man has done his time through the Clarke era and now under Joey and he is a Grown Man as Homicide would say..

Sign him now, gice him the dollars he deserves and crown him captain right now.

He would have to be in for MVP GF if Adelaide win. Pay him his worth and keep him here.

Topic #42973 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If Creek stays in the NBL, I think he's a better captain, regardless of that silly incident last year. Seems more driven. DJ is a strong piece for a team, but I don't know if he's the captain type?

I suspect we could see Creek in the NBA next season though.

Reply #680745 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

I like DJ, but I'd question his leadership. He doesn't seem to be an extroverted person at all. He also never gets fired up / stuck into people when needed.

Besides, in Joey's system, being Captain counts for very little. He's said the same thing about his starting five; its importance is over rated in his opinion.

Reply #680747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think DJ would step up another level if Captain. His aggression and communication has been rapidly improving and he sees the game from the whole court. Creek will be absent more if not permenantly. Its a pride thing as well showing him he is valued. His public speaking in grabs this year have been great. Manning up and completely had Joeys back last week.

Reply #680752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he should be in the Australian team, it's an embarrassment.

Reply #680759 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If it's the difference between DJ coming back or not I'd take it off Teys or if DJ leaves and it's the difference between Creek coming back or not I'd give it back to Creek.

Reply #680761 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Does DJ want to be captain, doesn't strike me as the type.

Creek has shown captain qualities and leadership on court all season.

As much as DJ can annoy me at times, we need to sign him as a priority.

Reply #680777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captain at NBL level is severely overrated. Leadership groups is the age thing.

Reply #680780 | Report this post

He definitely hasn't been leadership material for most of his career. Too quiet and reserved, but he's stepped it up a notch in the last couple of seasons. He's still not at the point where I'd see him as a captain though.

If Creek sticks around he has to be Captain. Even with Teys having the (c) next to his name this season, Creek has been the leader of the club. Without any doubt at all. He's the most vocal, most supportive, and performs every game.

Reply #680782 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Creek isnt officially captain this year but it's pretty obvious he is the leader of the team on the court.

Also I don't think many players make their decision if they are staying with a team whether or not they'll be captain.

Reply #680787 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

DJ must have slept with Lemannis Wife or Daughter or something. It reminds me of Brad Hodge always getting ignored for Australia in the cricket. How Hodgson and Brandt make the Boomers and DJ does not is a travesty.

Reply #680789 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brad Hodge was a complete knob though and unless you're seriously talented you wouldn't put up with that in the locker room from a fringe guy.

Lemanis as has been clear over his career is a pretty stubborn guy and his continued refusal to pick DJ or even AJ Ogilvy in the past doesn't reflect well on him.

Reply #680802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't this a moot point re: rumours DJ signing with Perth? Unless it was BS.

Reply #680807 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Was said to be 90% chance of DJ going to Perth according to an "anon" on this forum lol.
I personally think DJ will stay put.
If Adelaide don't win next week you would think a majority of the team would come back to try again.

Reply #680822 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

There is no question in my mind that DJ has comprehensively matured as a player in his attitude to the game and he is an absolute 100% switched on player this season. No signs of petulance anymore. Should be in the Oz team now.

Creek is still the inspiration for the teams "never give up" ethos, can't see that ever moving while he's there.

Sobey has stepped back up in the last half of the season, may well have been a necessary attitude adjustment,as his fitness and skills showed no decrease, if it was a "head fix" , he's done well also.

When the several crucial playing positions that these three can cover are occupied by very switched on , highly talented, mental "hard nuts' - its going to be a team thats very very fearsome to play against.

i wonder if it was the aggression and success of Randle last year that was a catalyst to at least Sobey and DJ realising there was another few steps that they could take, if they committed to it, and stopped the petulance.

Reply #680827 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Hodge may have been a tool but the guy retired averaging over 50 in tests. Made a double hundred and a 50 in his final 2 test innings.

DJ is not a tool has a way better attitude and can't get a gig for Australia. proves my point even further.

How is Hodgson a Boomer? Can someone tell me?

Reply #680840 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

May I offer an alternative?

The team is winning now, closer than we have been in more than a decade to a championship.

Would it be so bad to let Teys stay Captain? The discussions about make it seem like a foregone conclusion he is going to lose the captaincy.

Reply #680844 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

It really seems ridiculous that kickert and Hodgson get a boomers spot ahead of dj.

Reply #680894 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

LoveBroker I think it is a fore gone conclusion - I'd be surprised if Teys even makes the 10 next season.

Reply #680907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does DJ even want to play for Australia? Has this ever been considered?

Reply #680921 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/the-curious-case-of-daniel-johnson

"One of the key things he needs, which a lot of players do, is to continue to grow with his defensive abilities," Lemanis said.

“Pick-and-roll defence, post defence, being part of defensive schemes - if he continues to grow in that area, and he certainly seems to be doing that, he's real close to selection.”

That’s the reason comments from fans stating Johnson is better than current Boomers Nick Kay, Matt Hodgson and Angus Brandt don’t hold water.

Reply #680927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like the skills he does have (and there is some crossover with the three mentioned, albeit minimal) make him a swap out for Kickert.

Reply #680928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And to add to my last, Lemanis will go with what he knows. They all do.

Reply #680929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis is a dud who is flamimg out fast.

Reply #680931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson stood there in fourth quarter when a rebound bounced in front of him and he did nothing, takes fadeaways and just isn't tough enough and can't guard a tree. And pouts all the time. Will never be captain while Joeys is there

Reply #680933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Smith might be looking for a job, that ball tampering might give us an edge

Reply #680934 | Report this post

Yeah, i can't agree that DJ is 100% switched on this season. I would absolutely concur that he has made huge improvements. But he goes through patches where he resorts back to ball-watching, and being completely passive on offense. Even on Sunday most of the first half he was getting the ball in the post and rather than try to muscle in to the basket he's taking two big steps outside and fading away back near the three point line. Low percentage rubbish play. When he's goth the shits on and starts aggressively bustling right in to the basket on those plays he gets far better reward.

Reply #680994 | Report this post

Trira  
Years ago

Lemanis has no idea what he's looking at. DJ should have been 1st pick for Boomers big man, he has outplayed both the other bigs during the season.

Reply #681068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 am, Sat 11 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754