Mike
Years ago

Mornington Big V's Downward Spiral Continues

Rumors from within the club are getting stronger that this will be the last season of Big V at Mornington given how uncompetitive the teams are particularly the women's and with the thrashings they are receiving it would not come as any surprise.
Also I would like to know who the mastermind was responsible for replacing last seasons successful YLW coach with the current one what a winner that's proving to be.

Topic #43184 | Report this topic

thatguyontheend  
Years ago

There is a fair amount Mornington Big V bashing on here

Reply #685753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgruntled coaching staff from last year trying to get people to care.
Let it go.

Reply #685777 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

This is what happens when you have delusional parents running a club for there kids benefit first, club second. Ask a club up bayside area!!

Reply #685780 | Report this post

Frank  
Years ago

Old news now Mike - time to move on.

Reply #685781 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Wouldnt think anyone would be disgruntled i would think they'd be laughing their arses off

Reply #685782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why keep posting on here then.
As Frank said, "Old News"

Reply #685798 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Why keep reading it then

Reply #685822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for a laugh

Reply #685827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminiscent of how centrals junior programme is being run at moment, no basketball people, just some parents looking out for own kids.

Reply #685862 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The results thus far really must be discouraging for the club and in turn the program as a whole. It doesn't appear that there is going to be too much joy for the remainder of the season. Support from within the club will undoubtedly decline as people want success, at the very least see good competitive ball. No one wants to watch a team getting belted by 20-30+ points each week. The spirit from within the team must also be dropping, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few players walk away. In so far as next year, the program is fundamentally stuffed, guaranteed that the women's coach leaves as will the women's YL coach as there is just no light at the end of the tunnel and the frustration week in week out is not sustainable. I for one won't be going to another game, it is too "sad" to watch.

Reply #685919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has their YL men gone so far this year?

Reply #686074 | Report this post

Jan  
Years ago

Righto. Clearly this is NOT old news as the Mornington Club is an absolute laughing stock through the whole basketball fraternity. Open your eyes and look at the PHENOMINAL coaches they lost, especially YLWM. Not only did all those wonder girls move to other clubs (lucky them) but the dregs were left to play women's and get an ABSOLUTE flogging each week. Not old news, it's factual week on week. As for the Operations Manager and the little minions below her, HAPPY DAYS. bunch of ammatures. Embarrassed to have said we were part of MDBA.

Reply #686100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not happy Jan!!!
Get a grip

Reply #686116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are entitled to their opinions whether we agree or dis agree and it appears that this forum is possibly one of the few places where people can have an opinion and put it out there.

Reply #686382 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

AGM time at last what happened to the 28 days notice required ?
Hopefully the club will get a Pesident that shows interest in the club and a committee that is more concerned about the kids than the profit margin or bottom line

Reply #686536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee Jan bit harsh but you've bloody nailed it

Reply #686628 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Wow. That's an interesting comment about the AGM, will give consumer affairs a call on Monday morning.

Reply #686629 | Report this post

A plus  
Years ago

Well said Jan - agree 100%.

Reply #686630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think id be just as concerned with the Steelers and Frankston. Not great times for the Mornington Penisula.

Reply #686685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Sutherland turning things around at Western Port?

Reply #686687 | Report this post

Keith  
Years ago

Westernport is going along very well,new 4 crt stadium underway Steelers looking rosy

Reply #686690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it have happened if the original stadium hadn't burnt to the ground?

Reply #686691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the main thing for any of these smaller clubs is they are providing and opportunity for kids to stay off the streets. There no one at Breakers Steeers etc etc going to be making money from bball. So stop trolling you flogs and Be happy the Peninsula offers our youth these chances.

Reply #686706 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

What does Mornington offer?

Reply #686740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A chance for kids in the area to play basketball.
What a dumb question.

Reply #686741 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Anonymous you obviously haven't got a kid that is playing or was playing at mornington

Reply #686793 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Kids off the street???....last time I looked Mornington was a long long way from the Bronx. Reality is that Mornington is not the club of choice for anyone on the Peninsula. At the minute Southern Pen is flying, looking at quality rather than quantity. western Port will get there, albeit a little slowly as there is a pathway. Mornington don't have a pathway as both women's senior teams are at best very poor and will not be there in 2019, YLM mediocre at best. Problem is that the $$'s are going to dead ends within the club, $80k to any employee at any club is going to have a negative impact. It would be very interesting to see what Mornington are spending off court or in other words how many snouts are in the trough.

Reply #686800 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Jack - $80K to an employee isn't alot of money so not sure why thats a gripe.

Hopefully Mornington can turn it around but the seniors have had issues for a while but perhaps taking a year or two off to rebuild might be the best way forward.

Reply #686850 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

I'd suggest 80k at a smallish basketball club is pretty high...

Reply #686851 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Depends on the work. If its a fulltime job than that salary isn't crazy money.

Reply #686853 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Reality : could you please advise just who are they going to rebuild with ? all the up and coming players have gone there is nothing coming through to fill senior ranks, for the last 3 years the club has lost on average 25 juniors per year.

Reply #686883 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Let alone the juniors, seniors and coaches in the past 4 years. Always interesting when one of the "gun" coaches, they used a few years back, to help change what was in place with coaches,selections & teams in rep has gone south in the past year or so and assorted others have followed. Doesn't that say something. No seniors to mentor the junior - what would you be looking at if you are a parent looking at pathways. Juniors, then nothing an uphill marketing strategy.

Reply #687031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe merge with Frankston, better still their CEO is looking for a new place to destroy

Reply #687405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 2 shithouse clubs merge? Surely a joke.

Reply #687420 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Things take time..They are struggling at the moment but it doesn't take long for clubs to turn it around with some sound management and long term plans building from the juniors.

You say all the juniors left well kids and parents will be attracted to clubs that are well run and organised, i don't know the employees but i'm just stating it doesn't take long to turn it around as other clubs around Melbourne have shown in the past.

Reply #687440 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Reality you are indeed living a fantasy world where the prince rescues the damsel in distress and they all live happily ever after.
you are right when you say they are struggling, however they have been struggling for three years under this current committee/management.
you mention sound management and long term plans will turn the club around at present we do not have any competent people capable of making such plans.

Reply #687462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Franga's recovered well.

Reply #687463 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

If the people need to change so be it but its been done before.

Many clubs can get it together quickly as all organisations have ups & downs.

Reply #687476 | Report this post

Reality: Mornington doesn't have ups its all downs the biggest problem there is they actually believe they are doing a sensational job when in fact they have destroyed it.
A good example is the senior program loss of the men's team and the women well what a debacle and no stock to rebuild with as the club has gone from 14 girls teams to 7 in couple of years but on the bright side they now have a coffee card problem is the kiosk is hardly open an when it is the girl is never in there she's in the office talking to the doorkeeper

Reply #687560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we start a new thread about the Mornington Kiosk as this is about their big v program

Reply #687565 | Report this post

go for it anonymous

Reply #687568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality's real name is Fantasy.

Reply #687569 | Report this post

Anon:  
Years ago

Watched YLW's game last night all I can say is MY GOD

Reply #687619 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Would rather watch paint dry, luckily Pakky took the opportunity to share some minutes around otherwise it would have been a lot worse, I think that is the third around 50 point loss in a row. Big V program is over at Mornington and should be given the last rites. All the talk of rebuilding and a 5 year strategic plan is just nonsensical propaganda from people "running" the club who have absolutely no idea. Any Builder will tell you that you can't build without solid foundations, just forget it.

Reply #687637 | Report this post

Fair comment Jack out of curiosity where do you think the problem lies

Reply #687644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you going out of your way to watch these games?
Just to hang shit on the girls who are trying their best?
Get a life.

Reply #687645 | Report this post

Bevan  
Years ago

There's clearly some extremely knowledgeable people around all things YLW, Big V, basketball development and running associations within this forum post. I hope to see these people putting their hands up at the AGM to put that expertise into good use. I’m sure any 'struggling’ Association would be glad to have you.

By the way, I was also at the game last night. Despite the score, I saw a group of girls who were giving their absolute best and enjoying their basketball. There are certainly facets of their game that need some work but you can’t fault their endeavour. And with participation for female sport on the decline, is the result the most important consideration???

Reply #687650 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

Bevan
Within the hour

There's clearly some extremely knowledgeable people around all things YLW, Big V, basketball development and running associations within this forum post. I hope to see these people putting their hands up at the AGM to put that expertise into good use. I'm sure any 'struggling’ Association would be glad to have you.

By the way, I was also at the game last night. Despite the score, I saw a group of girls who were giving their absolute best and enjoying their basketball. There are certainly facets of their game that need some work but you can’t fault their endeavour. And with participation for female sport on the decline, is the result the most important consideration???

So you were at a Domestic U23 Girls game then Bevan?

Reply #687654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keith
Westernport womens program is a joke.
Just look at the results so far. YL team only had 3 wins. So perhaps things aren't that great there either.

Reply #687655 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Bevan
You are quite correct there are a lot of knowlegable people who would love to get on board and save the club but the current committee have manipulated and made it impossible for those people to get on board

Reply #687656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel. You need to get a life.
Bevan made more sense in one post than half the flags commenting on here.
YL programs are about development not recruiiting to win. Keep going Breakers things will turn.

Reply #687657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westernport ylw are in their second season with 3 or 4 wins from 7 games mornington are in their 4th season with no wins from 7 games.
2 seasons ago mornington ylw played in a preliminary final.
Not hard to figure whoose in a better place

Reply #687658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous you make comment yl programs are about development and not recruiting just to win and you are 100% right.
why then does mornington only have 3 home grown players in the entire senior womens program

Reply #687659 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is questioning the endeavor of the players, unfortunately the skill level yes. The teams have been let down by the club, YLW was developing really well until changes were made by the club. With the amount of $'s it costs to have Big V teams it is about being competitive at the very least, which they aren't. Mornington cannot develop from within, there is just not the caliber available. Bevan, if you want "fun ball" go watch domestic.

Reply #687680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately Western Port put all their cash into their mens program (that is doing very very well I may add)

Its so sad to see Mornington in its current shape! They where once such an exciting club on the rise.

Reply #687695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it's so unfortunate when money gets put into men's sports.

Reply #687696 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Maybe if Mornington had put a bit into their men's program instead of spending it all on salaries and wages they'd still have a men's team.

Reply #687702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think any different t going into wp men's as their women's programs and not a lot going into either.

Reply #687706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westernport YLW haven't won 4 games , they've won 2 games, and their Senior Womens Team nil.

Yep the Steelers are on fire.

Reply #688558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word out of Morno is they have a few things in the works and will have a senior mens team back on floor next year

Reply #688751 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

And who are they going to get to play for them in a seniors team, the committee & ex committee members kids. That's what seems to be running around at the moment in Youth and they were going to be in mens seniors originally. With the coach they put in place for this year for mens and now running the Youth team who gets tech's so frequently (and disqualified out of a stadium) as he has so far this year, how is that going to attract any caliber of player to play and or mentor the little ones next year.

Reply #688756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing disturbing stories about youth men's coach altercation with a player? Ugly to say the least!

Reply #694087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us.

Reply #694105 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Gonna tell us?

Reply #694107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant be that disturbing then

Reply #694129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/43545-coach-and-player-punch-up/

Reply #694132 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754