Isaac
Years ago

With Kings deal, Bogut retires from NBA, to get 10% stake

Wow. Didn't expect this. Fully expected NBA outs and a partial season as he picked up an NBA deal along the way.

Roy Ward:

Andrew Bogut says his #NBL deal retires him from the #NBA- two year deal with no NBA or Euro outs.

LOL:

Editing to add:

Topic #43193 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Bogut is telling it how it is which is awesome.

Always valued his honesty which we don't see alot of in AFL/NRL players.

Hope it goes well for him and Gaze this year.

Reply #685928 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow! Massive negotiation coup. I'm slightly flabbergasted by all the unexpected development. Didn't expect how passionate he is about the Kings.

I recall a little joke by Wookiee about purple-tinted glasses... he is strong in the force this one...

Reply #685930 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Wonder if he's taking less salary for the ownership stake or if thats just an incentive for signing?

Reply #685931 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

10% ownership stake? ROFL

Did he get a slice of the Harbour Bridge as well???

Reply #685933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bogut is telling it how it is which is awesome.

Always valued his honesty which we don't see alot of in AFL/NRL players."

He quit the NBA because his Grandad died?
Yeah, "telling it how it is"

Reply #685935 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

The two year deal with no outs at all is amazing and tbh, was the most shocking part of the whole thing for me... It removes any doubt of his commitment to making this work and really sells me on it... You could tell from what he was saying that he has really bought in (pretty much literally, once his playing career is finished) and sees this as a way to grow his personal brand as well as that of the Kings and the NBL...

A big thing to come out was the reinforcement that it wasn't just about the money, but he was straight up that he obviously wants to be financially compensated for his effort and knows that if he puts the work in, it will pay off for everyone... Passing up a Chinese deal for what, $2mil (can't remember exactly?) tax free just goes to show that he's not about the money and is really impressive...

Obviously lots of factors played into him coming here, his relationship with Kevin(?) and especially Newls brought some chuckles and seems to be key as well...

Speaking of having that ownership stake waiting for him and the option to buy in with his own cash up to 50% as well highlights his keenness to do well and actually grow the team and the league...

I hate to say it, as I'm usually a glass half empty guy, but it's actually got me a bit excited to see what happens now...

Reply #685937 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The NBL is now officially a league with no salary cap, once outside deals are allowed like this it's confirmed.

Get ready for years "the haves vs the have nots", where the power teams are up the top and the rest are just surviving to provide opposition for those teams, just like Europe.

Reply #685940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully for his future financial wellbeing he also has the option to decrease his ownership stake from 10% to 0%

Reply #685941 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He knows how expensive it is to rent a place in Sydney right? ;)

Reply #685942 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The lack of a salary cap is necessary for the growth of the league and if equalisation payments can be sorted out then it will be great. Obviously these payments are under a cloud at the moment by Illawarra and Cairns have still been relatively competitive.

Reply #685943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL is now officially a league with no salary cap, once outside deals are allowed like this it's confirmed."

Third party deals have always been allowed. The best example was Penney's deal during the Breakers dynasty.

Reply #685947 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

No negatives from me, hope he goes well, just not to well against the Wildcats :).

Just think a few years ago everyone in the media was talking of the NBL demise, yet here we are the league is still going and seems to be attracting better quality players and names that joe public who normally doesn't follow NBL has heard of, can only be a good thing, because we all post here because we love the game and hope it keeps going.

Reply #685948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut got hoodwinked by the 10% stake. As the Kings have zero equity 10% of zero is $0. But a good move for the league.

Reply #685956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought it was an amazing press conference tbh. Loved his attitude and how highly he spoke of the league.

No NBA out in his contract is huge, bit of a surprise, but great to see he's committed.

The 10% ownership is interesting. I was thinking he'd be smart to join a team he owned a stake in so assumed he'd maybe go to Brisbane that's for sale or a new franchise. Feels a bit like when Oprah joined weight watchers and bought shares herself and there value immediately increased significantly. With him on board you'd think the Kings value would have inreased now.

Massive for the league to have him, hope it turns out well.

Reply #685958 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Sydney is the biggest city in Australia (doh).
I don't know much about their venues, but if they could finally start to pull some massive crowds and fill a big venue, they might actually achieve a level at which they could throttle back and become sustainable.

If Bogut helps them achieve that, then great.

I don't see the 10% ownership as any big deal, its effectively worthless. I just hope he is smart enough NOT to get suckered into putting his own money in.
Yes, i imagine he's socked away a few million, but an NBL franchise could empty that rather quickly.

Is there much money in Australia in endorsements for Ballers? He might be able to supplement his income that way.

My big concern is this:
This decision by the Kings, and the hoopla surrounding it, smacks of the same misinformed crap that caused them to sign and persist with Gaze.
Signing "the NBL's Greatest ever Player" as your Head-Coach (despite his inability to coach a fart out of his arse), is exactly the type of thing you'd expect from a rich American who knows nothing about Australia, the league, or Gaze.
Similarly, signing "our greatest ever basket-baller and NBA STAR" with the idea that he will magically double attendance, smells of the same crap.

Reply #685959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would assume Bogut will be asked for capital injections just as all the other owners are.

Reply #685963 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Playing a few years for a % of ownership didn't work too well for Jordan at the Wizards.

Reply #685969 | Report this post

Jimny  
Years ago

What is his salary?

Reply #685975 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Bogut being in the nba for so long can bring more than his game. He could really help the kings out in other areas and get the crowds coming

Reply #685984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut back to the NBL is great... but the NBL really does need to just come out and tell truth and say there is no salary cap.

That way every team can just go out and spend as much as they like

Reply #685987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i wonder if the kings
can get jock landale or mangok mathiang as backup to bogut. Both players would learn so much from bogut on and off the court

Reply #685988 | Report this post

Fingers crossed that Melbourne United can sign Liz Cambage now. Let's get a bit of oomph in that Kings/United rivalry.

Reply #685994 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

AD: There's a difference between bringing in Bogut at the tail end of his NBA playing career to PLAY in the NBL and bringing in the NBL G.O.A.T to coach. Apart from a crap run as a SEABL head coach, Gaze had ZERO experience in actually coaching and it was a huge publicity stunt that actually paid off to start with, but could have achieved as much as if he was made general manager or something as high profile...

Reply #686014 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The 10% ownership aspect of it does raise interesting questions around remuneration.

Can Bogut and the Kings argue that this 10% stake is not within the remuneration package of this tenure at Sydney? A bit like Terrence Fergson's Under Armor payments.

If not and the 10% is considered part of the remuneration, how will the value of that 10% be considered? The Kings aren't listed so may have to rely on Assets less Liabilities to determine value.

Reply #686036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have no equity. They bleed money so they have no equity basically. In reality the 10% stake is worth around $0.

Reply #686038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His wife has a high risk pregnancy meaning no plane travel. He will want to return to the NBA in the 18/19'season

Reply #686092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His wife has a high risk pregnancy meaning no plane travel. He will want to return to the NBA in the 18/19'season"

Except he doesn't have an NBA out clause in his contract, he's here to stay

Reply #686094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No NBA team wants him

Reply #686095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except, you know, the two that wanted him

Reply #686117 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"There's a difference between bringing in Bogut at the tail end of his NBA playing career to PLAY in the NBL and bringing in the NBL G.O.A.T to coach."

Depends on what they are trying to achieve, which is what concerns me.
He'll be good on the court no doubt, and may even win them a few games. But at what cost? If Sydney are expecting their investment in Bogut to reap huge dividends in ticket sales, then I worry.
Winning games will definitely help, I just don't think Bogut himself is going to galvanise attendance the way they hope.

What's their target demographic?
The minuscule number of people who have any clue who Bogut is, but don't currently attend Kings games, and will be inspired to change that on a long-term basis merely by his presence?
The few non-basketball fans who don't actually gag when enticed by their "Ex-NBA STAR"?

Don't get me wrong, back in the day Longley said that he would like to finish his career playing for the Wildcats (before he got injured again and left the NBA with an injury payout that prevented him playing)
At the time when I read that, I may actually have jitzed a little.
But then I only knew who Longley was, and what that would mean for the Cats, because I was already a diehard fan.

Too Many fans on this forum are far too myopic. They look at everything from an existing fans' perspective, when what we need to be doing is expand the appeal beyond that.

At the end of the day, Bogut will be good for the Kings and the League, its just a question of how long the owners are happy to keep pouring in the millions.

Reply #686129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best part in all of this is that Bogut has has only 1 year under Gaze.

Reply #686134 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anyone know how NBL will treat the deferred ownership under the salary cap rules. If Melbourne franchise is worth $10 million (that's what Kestleman wants for it), Sydney's worth say half of that? So $500,000 value for a two year contract? Does it count as part of the salary cap's scope?

Reply #686162 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

There are salary cap rules?

Reply #686165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn there is no equity in NBL clubs so effectively the stake is worth near $0.

Reply #686180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly heard that the Kings ownership group were losing a lot of money and contemplating moving on. The huge cost opening their stadium every game alone would be enough to already send some clubs broke.
Bogut's 10% share in it might keep the Ogden people interested for a while longer.

Reply #686194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Only $160,000 of this deal will count on the Kings' salary cap, which is part of the NBL’s local marquee signing set-up."

Peter John who cares what Kestleman wants for United or Brisbane. You suggest that the Kings franchise is only worth $5mill.
LK values the Bullets at $5mill. Your valuation is crap sorry.

Reply #686241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also shows that Kestleman will do anything and make his own rules to get someone like a Bogut.

Reply #686243 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair I think just about everyone would be willing to turn a blind eye to the 'rules' to see Bogut back home in the NBL.

It's not just about the team he's playing for it's a massive boost to the league and to have him playing in the biggest market with a big stadium to fill for a crap Kings team that needs him badly is huge.

Not to mention the spin offs of possibly getting the NBL a good FTA TV deal and of course increased attendances everywhere around the country when the Kings play in your city.

Reply #686249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL wasn't doing what they could to get Bogut here then they wouldn't be doing their job properly.

Reply #686253 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

"It also shows that Kestleman will do anything and make his own rules to get someone like a Bogut."

Yes, you are right. I can only imagine the support and accolades Kestelman would get if he prevented Bogut from playing in the league because of important rules that need to be followed!!

Reply #686256 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

With the sorta cattle gaze has got , let them loose... i could coach them...

Reply #686257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Bogut's in the team you might be able to coach them as could I. However for all the money that Gaze is getting paid to coach he can't. He was shithouse in the SEABL too make no mistake. So next season IF the Kings win a lot more than they have since Gaze was appointed he will be COTY.
Fo those that let Kestleman do what he want great. "Let's turn the blind eye" Oh good, that works well in business.
Getting Bogut here isn't about "doing the job properly" Do you seriously think the NBL has been doing that? #deluded.
Cairns will fold and Illawarra wil fold but we have Bogut.

Reply #686262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly from this article JVG couldn't seal the deal.
Lister did. First positive thing I have head about Lister and the Kings.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/the-sales-pitch-that-helped-sydney-kings-heavyweight-secure-andrew-boguts-signature/news-story/6eb726ba2751423bd9fa2d8ad231a0bb
I also love the fact that the NBL claim a "crowd record" (Vs Razorbacks) of 17,803 when that was on the back of the Globetrotters playing there.

Reply #686263 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wasn't there a stand-alone NBL game (or possibly NBL double header) that got a fairly similar attendance? Or am I completely misremembering?

Reply #686267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, a Razorbacks and Kings double header. When the stadium opened in 1999.

Reply #686278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong again KB.

Reply #686286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he acknowledged he might be wrong. But we'll done for swooping in and putting him down. You're a hero.

Reply #686289 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Camel31

Would cattle follow a camel?

Bovines leading dromedaries?

Reply #686413 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm gonna let them loose

Reply #686468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't there a stand-alone NBL game (or possibly NBL double header) that got a fairly similar attendance? Or am I completely misremembering?

Yes, a Razorbacks and Kings double header. When the stadium opened in 1999.

Here it is:

Round 1 double header played on 2 October 1999:

17,000 Razorbacks v Bullets
17,143 Kings vs. Cannons

Reply #686474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also love the fact that the NBL claim a "crowd record" (Vs Razorbacks) of 17,803 when that was on the back of the Globetrotters playing there.

Wow, you are so wrong and off the mark it's not even funny. The game you are thinking about only drew 14,805 - in Nov 2004 - which was a Kings vs. Razorbacks/Globetrotters double header.

We are talking about the NBL record which was 17K in 1999 with two NBL double headers - no Globetrotters at all. Keep up.

Reply #686476 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Here it is:

Round 1 double header played on 2 October 1999:

17,000 Razorbacks v Bullets
17,143 Kings vs. Cannons
You got a source for that? The only number I can find record of is the 17,800 at the Kings-Razorbacks game.

Reply #686518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's either 17K or 17.8K. It seems like they had trouble counting, perhaps due to some single game tickets being purchased? I'll try to find source. Either way there were no Globetrotters involved.

Reply #686526 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Back to Bogut

It will be interesting to see the crowd figures for Kings' games next year, both home and away.

You couldn’t compare crowd figures with last season though, as they would have been down because Kings were stinking it up. Late season crowds should have been up (winning games, excitement of Randle).

Away games crowds will show if he’s a boost for the whole league. I remember when George Best played in the NSL in 1983. He was well past his best then, but there was some kind of deal done to split gate takings from his team’s away games. Crowds were up to see him play.

Not suggesting that Nogut is the equivalent of George Best, but we might see a similar effect for a tv deal.

Will Bogut get involved in tweeting (or tv work) with Homicide??? Could be fun.

Reply #686544 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Sorry, Bogut. Stupid iPad.

Reply #686545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, best if Bogut stays away from tweeting.

Reply #686559 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754