Chewie
Years ago

Humphries signs with Atlanta Hawks

As per NBA.com, first report sounds like it's a 2 way Gleague spot but there weren't exact details. Kind of stunned if this is accurate. Good luck to him though,

Topic #43991 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries hasn't signed a guaranteed contract or a two way contract.

So what exactly does his signing mean?

(Serious question and of course I wish him all the best)

Reply #707139 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Sounds like it's a non-guaranteed training deal?

Reply #707147 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Atlanta signed him so they get his G-League rights

Reply #707148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 ppg in Europe.

Reply #707153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he needs to hit the gym and build strength and conditioning if he wants to improve, seemed slow and weak in NBL.

Reply #707156 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

This is a weird signing.

G-League rights signed up.

Hawks had Jock Landale, who in my opinion has a far higher ceiling, and essentially let him go. Although Landale would probably command more $ in Europe hence why he signed with Partizan. Could not see Landale sticking around to play G-League.

Reply #707161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Underrated imo.
People forget he was born in 98 going up against bigs as much as 5 years older.
Kid is only 20. Landale has 3 years of development on him.

Reply #707163 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I wish him the best of luck.
Hope he makes the most of it.
Wouldn't want him to be yet another highly touted junior who doesn't progess at professional level.

Reply #707166 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Speaking of the Hawks (I really want to talk about this topic but dont want to create a thread)..will Trae Young be a bust?

He looks like a volume, low % shooter with poor shot selection, unable to guard, doesnt have the ability to attack the rim.

A lot of holes in his game.

Reply #707202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB did you just read Steph Curry's scouting report coming out of college?

Reply #707214 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thing is, Curry did had a lot of weaknesses coming out of college. He also happens to be maybe the hardest worker in the league and also maybe the greatest shooter of all time (which is directly tied to hard work). COULD Trae Young be the next Curry? Sure. Is it likely? IMO not at all. Too early to say bust, but I have t really liked what I've seen of him so far, summer league through preseason.

Reply #707230 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

He ain't Doncic, but then Doncic wasn't going to be a Hawk.

Still, in Schlenk we trust.

Reply #707232 | Report this post

Crock  
Years ago

Young only got picked high as teams dream of a Curry v2. Too bad he and basically every other baller on the planet are nowhere near as good a shooter. He's a bust who struggled in the second half of the college season and the Summer League. It's only going to uglier from here.

Reply #707247 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Good luck to Isaac, I mean Atlanta absolutely suck so I hope he can get a look in on an NBA bench and then maybe some minutes and who knows from there

Reply #707255 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Waived.

Reply #707271 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Waived."

Source?

Reply #707279 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - as expected it was a signing to tie up his G League rights.

Reply #707280 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Yep - as expected it was a signing to tie up his G League rights

LC What does this mean exactly?

Reply #707288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money if he becomes good.

Reply #707289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Source: Hawks on Twitter -

We have requested waivers on Isaac Humphries.

Reply #707295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be earning less money than at the kings, but at least there is a chance for him if he comes good, long shot at present but might work out over time.

Reply #707300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's too early to make a call on Humphries or Young.

Humphries is young, but basically hasn't played competitive basketball since he enrolled at Kentucky. I think it's concerning that neither in that environment nor since coming home, has he shown the sort of progress that you would expect from a kid with his tools who really wanted to make it. But the right situation and some capable coaches who believe in him and push him could change things in a hurry.

Young is the sort of draft pick that we will see more of now, teams willing to take a chance on small shooting PGs in case they evolve into Curry. Almost none will, and in a league that is more and more about mid-sized versatility, those who don't will be bench players at best. Exactly where Young lands on the scale will depend how committed Atlanta are to him, how much he works, and how many shots he makes. I don't like his chances, because I think Curry's success was enabled in part by the fact that no one actually expected it.

Reply #707304 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wynyard is in a similar position to Humphries was/is (albeit Wynyard is still playing college ball).

Wynyard's development you feel has really been stunted by a lack of competitive game time at UK.

Reply #707359 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think Jack White at Duke is in a similar situation he won't get more than garbage minutes on a stacked Duke team.

Reply #707369 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Unless they work their butts off to get suitable court time.

I don't expect them to sit back and console themselves with the excuse that others were given better opportunities - it’s in their own hands how they go from here.
If Delly and Jingles could overcome the odds then why not others?

Reply #707371 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Slow, weak, and fat against NBL opposition. No chance of NBA.

Reply #707410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot another three letter word ;)

Reply #707439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only others given superior opportunities were better players. I don't think anyone is excusing Humphries, I was just saying that writing him off is premature.

I think White’s situation is different. He appears to have gone in with his eyes open and is getting a great education while training with future nba all stars. And the way Duke’s 2019 recruiting class is shaping up, he may well play a lot as a senior. With an elite PG to make him look good. And be ready for a euro deal because he’ll have the experience and maturity that Humphries didn’t when he left Kentucky.

Being realistic about your own ability, work ethic and ceiling is pretty important for kids and often the difference between making it or not.

Reply #707483 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The problem is with those bigger programs is that players minutes often decline from year to year (when they should theoretically be increasing) - because each year those big teams just re-load with superstar HS talent.

It's like 'hey I might get my chance next year' - *then Duke bring in the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 15th best HS players in the country*

For a lot of those players, it doesn't matter how hard they work - they will probably always inevitably be overtaken by those incoming superstars (who are often touted for NBA).

If the player can live with that then fine - but if they can't then unfortunately they only really have themselves to blame for choosing a program where they should have been aware that that could/would happen.

Reply #707486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has always been well known why Jack White chose Duke, all you have to do is read some articles to understand why he hasn't transferred or come home!

http://www.espn.com.au/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22115886/aussie-jack-white-living-dream-duke-blue-devils-coach-k

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/09/180926-bluezone-column-atwood

Reply #707505 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I rate both Humphries and White, great kids, now young men who are still developing and both will potentially have big futures ahead of them because they have the ambition to match their skill, ability, talent and attributes.

Isaac may have tried to enter the NBA draft too early, you could blame the Kentucky staff who advised him, or someone else giving him misinformation, you could look at many things and point at them, however he has now taken a different pathway and is still a prospect.

Both of them will have a bright future, too many people get hung up on what 'making it' is and don't get the big picture, settle people!

Reply #707510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754