Isaac
Years ago

Roy Ward picks 36ers as season favs, Cats to miss

Roy Ward has written up each NBL team as we draw close to the season start. Might be controversial, but he's picked the 36ers as favourites. I've saved you a click if you're especially short of time, but it's worth a read for the detail:

36ers
United
Breakers
Kings
Wildcats
Hawks
Taipans
Bullets

Full article

Topic #43993 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmation that Roy Ward is a mug.

Reply #707190 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

froling mcveigh mite be alright in a coupla years
deleon about same standard as shorter
wiley almost creek
moore sobey very good
hope a bit more from drmic deng

Reply #707194 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

As much as I want to believe the Sixers are the front runners or favourites, I can't help but think this article is just full of useless hyperbole.

The rationale for the Sixers being first seed is they run and gun and are hungry, ummmm, isn't that every year that the Sixers run and gun and are hungry?

Roy hasn't addressed the loss of Creek.

Hasn't addressed how Wiley is a 'perfect fit'.

Hasn't addressed if the Sixers have improved on theirsub-average shooting last year.

Reply #707198 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

There is every chance Perth could miss but after last years Cooke Jr situation hopefully Perth have learnt to pull trigger if required.
That 3rd import is a nice ace to hold up the sleeve.

I'm not sold on White I have a feeling he might be gone soon.

Reply #707200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are favourites but need no injuries, weak bench or not experienced. Have to kerb the every one is against us BS as well, get on and play.

Reply #707207 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I think a few might be under-selling the 36ERS' bench, particularly Froling and McVeigh.

Froling, who has shown more than McVeigh to this stage, is genuinely big for this league, seems afraid of nothing/no-one and can put the ball on the floor.

McVeigh is taking longer to settle in than Froling but is not as small as he looks and has shown glimpses that would suggest he has some great attributes and very nice moves we can expect to see more of quite quickly.

Be interesting to see how they look in six or eight weeks.

Reply #707210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roy Ward the new Boti ;)

Reply #707212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ouch. You can disagree with him but no need for low blows like that.

Reply #707219 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

If Sydney Crash and Burn, then Sixers should make the 4.
That's about it.

And realistically, there's no way Perth miss the finals. They've spent big to bolster their ageing Aussie core, and lock in the League MVP.
Wait and See on White, but if he doesn't perform, he'll be gone.

Reply #707221 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think the idea of Perth finishing 5th this season is far-fetched at all.
Perfectly reasonable prediction IMO.
Right now before a game has been played I've got faith that the Cats will once again find a way to keep the streak intact, but "spending big" doesn't guarantee shit.

Reply #707235 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I *don't* think the idea ...

Reply #707236 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The cat is with the pigeons

Reply #707239 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I prefer seeing everyone tip Adelaide each to finish near the bottom and miss the finals. It's always nice to see them finish in the top 2 after that.

Reply #707242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think the idea of Perth finishing 5th this season is far-fetched at all."

Yes, but naming Adelaide as the best side after losing Creek is laughable, especially in the context of Sydney and Melbourne's rosters.

Reply #707253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does it matter what Roy Ward thinks in any case? He's a journo, not a tipping expert, isn't he? Journos should stick to the facts, rather than trot out opinions.

Reply #707254 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, speculation about the upcoming season in the media is undesirable. The last thing the league needs right now is articles and discussions about the season that's about to start. Hopefully the public don't see this one.

Reply #707258 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

2 years ago many of us were tipping 36ers to finish near the bottom, then they won the minor premiership

Deng has genuine upside.

Wiley is young and limited pro experience, but looks like he could be quality

Deleon looks a significant downgrade on Shorter. It may be this team is one good guard short of being a contender

But they brought in Randle and Childress mid season. Maybe it'll happen again.

Reply #707263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're going to be sorry when the sixers make the 4 AD. Simple minded fool still counting out the sixers. Haven't watched much NBL have we champ. It's okay, you'll get some big boy hairs eventually.

Reply #707420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV so being on the Brooklyn Nets roster and playing NBA games counts as limited pro experience?!

Lol...

Reply #707423 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754