Isaac
Years ago

Wortho vs White: Did Wortho cross a line?

Wortho, who you may remember wrote publicly about mental health and life after basketball, is wrapped up in media and Sportsbet for the NBL this year.

Watching the Perth-Illawarra game, he tweeted:

Yeah nah. That's no sprained ankle for Ogilvy. He doesn’t want any part of Perth.
Hawk Kevin White called him on it, showing a picture of Ogilvy's inflamed ankle after the game:
Gets a microphone and decides to be Mark 'homicide' Worthington....don't be someone you're not mate.

Just remember your post on Facebook....July 29 I think it was!

Stay in your lane Mark!

Wortho's response has no apology for AJ:
Sorry mate
Good job for sticking up for your mate.
But this ain't staying in your lane. I remember my post. Thanks for reminding people mental health ain't no joke.
White back:
Sticking up for you mate would be something you would know nothing about.
100% stay in your lane, you commented on a sprained ankle and that photo seems to suggest otherwise!
Wortho:
Ok Kev! Good luck this season champ.

I can appreciate that there's a AJ-wilts-in-Perth storyline, but if your ankle looks like that after 4OT and bad plane seats, and you can't run in a straight line let alone move properly, I think you're right to take a seat.

FWIW, the Melbourne bigs didn't manage much more in a close game against NZ after their 4OT efforts. Neither Pledger or Boone played much more than 18 minutes.

If you're going to make the claim against a fellow player, might be worth walking it back with more sincerity. "Having seen AJ's ankle after the game, I think I might've been wrong. Balloon." Done. Especially in light of revealing the personal battles you've fought.

Topic #44065 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthington penning a story about mental health and then working with a betting company says it all.

Reply #709168 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Why is it a problem when Wortho does it but Homicide is employed by the NBL to do nothing but troll on twitter and the broadcasts.

Reply #709171 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

Why does Kevin White even have an NBL contract? Wortho's worst game would be superior to anything Kevin White has done on an NBL court. Wortho wasn't the only one calling out AJ, who has a history of going missing in games.

Reply #709173 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Obviously Wortho got it wrong, how hard is it to take the fair cop "I got it wrong"

Reply #709175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are both right. AJ does have a badly sprained ankle, and AJ also historically goes missing in Perth (he's never recovered from Prather slamming his balls in his face).

Reply #709176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why does Kevin White even have an NBL contract? Wortho's worst game would be superior to anything Kevin White has done on an NBL court. "

Whats the got to do with anything? Is Wortho always right because he was a better player?

Reply #709177 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wortho the great excuses and its everyone else's fault man!

Next thing it was his "mental health" that made him post it and the people would called him on it are the really "bad" people for calling him out!

Reply #709181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho has always had a big mouth and should have back peddled. While he probably just think it's banter, someone who lives in a glass house probably shouldn't throw stones. I am also sensing perhaps there's a little more to the story too judging by how hard White went in to back AJ...
Also, someone mentioned Kevin White isn't an NBL player.. I don't really see why that's even relevant in this discussion. He's sticking up for his team mate, just because he isn't an All Star it doesn't mean he isn't allowed to show good character. Sheesh.

Reply #709183 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Even if AJ didn't want to sit, his coach would have ordered it anyway since there are way bigger fish for AJ & the Hawks to fry this season than trying to conjure up a 40 point comeback win in impossible circumstances.
Not sure what's so difficult for Wortho about admitting he fucked up.

Reply #709184 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Wortho has a long history of being an unlikable jerk. Mental health issues haven't changed that.

Reply #709188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho's always been a bit of a dick.

Great basketball player, but lacking plenty off the court.

Reply #709190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YOLO makes no sense. This has no relevance to White's on court ability or Worthington's.

Reply #709192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White for Prime Minister. Well Done Kevo, fantastic team mate, super guy and one of the most loyal individuals I know.

Wortho just had a spotlight brain fart. He will learn.

Reply #709195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said when Wortho was announced as a commentator that it was a baffling decision. The NBL choices for TV work are shocking, this further proves how much they are and highlights how dumb Wortho is. For someone who had mental health issues he could be causing some for AJ now.

Reply #709202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if my initial read on the Wortho situation was true - cry about mental health while unemployed to angle for a gig with the NBL he is ill equipped for. Sack him.

Reply #709204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon there was a reason Wortho chopped and changed teams all the time, other than chasing the dollars.

Reply #709212 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Wortho with the really poor 'champ' work there. Really grasping at straws.

Reply #709214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Wortho made any conscious decision to use his mental health issues to get work. Going public about mental health problems is not something that people do easily. Its incredibly difficult, and even when you are brave enough to do so, people will make references to you being weak before of it. See the above post (anon 709204) talking about him "crying" about his mental health. There's a huge stigma attached to it.

Having said that, I think its clear Wortho still has some work to do to empathise with others' struggles.

Reply #709215 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I'm lost.
WTF has his mental health issues got to do with AJ's foot?

Reply #709218 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I love the number of people on here gleefully leveling almost exactly the same accusation at Wortho that Wortho leveled against Ogilvy.

Reply #709221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but is that really AJ's ankle in photo and when was photo taken, could be fake news!

Reply #709226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"almost exactly the same accusation at Wortho that Wortho leveled against Ogilvy"

Wortho implied Ogilivy was scared to play against Perth. I don't believe anyone here is coming close to suggesting the same thing about Wortho. They might be saying worse things, but they are not alike.

Reply #709227 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Is this where we trawl through Worthington and White's past teammates and see who they have in common? That white comment about not sticking up for your mates seemed very pointed.

Reply #709235 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Far out that ankle looks bad, no wonder he sat down when its only the first game of the season.

I'm not sure what Wortho was tying to achieve with that post.

At worst, he'd get it wrong and be hated.

At best, he gets to accurately call AJ soft and still be hated for being negative when it's not called for.

But White's reference to Wortho's post about his mental health struggles was also leftfield.

Person A is acting like a knob.
Person B says to Person A 'remember you said you had mental health issues'?

Not a normal flow of conversation.

Reply #709239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wortho implied Ogilivy was scared to play against Perth. I don't believe anyone here is coming close to suggesting the same thing about Wortho. They might be saying worse things, but they are not alike.
No. Wortho said AJ was acting to avoid the blowout. Some here are saying Wortho acted the depression angle to get a sympathy job.

LoveBroker - not the first game of the season. He'd played the 4OT game two days prior, then got the bus to Sydney and flight to Perth. Had 15 points and 21 rebounds in the 4OT game.

White raising the Facebook post is saying "show some empathy and understanding of others; you should know that everyone's fighting their own battle, whether after a career, during a career, etc." I think it's a logical response in that situation.

Reply #709246 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac, that's how I read it too. I thought White handled it well.

Reply #709247 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Well said Isaac. Kev might have strayed a little but he's right in what he's trying to say. As for what White brings to a club, not something I'd question. Watch the other end of the floor and learn something.

Reply #709256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He will learn."

Haha you would think he would learn a lesson eventually but I think there is some wise saying about not repeating the same routine over and over and expecting a different result, and I think the same could be applied to listening again and again to a dimwit and expecting something intelligent.

Reply #709260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coincidence that Wortho announced his woes on LinkedIn (job seeking platform) of all places?

Reply #709262 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Truck come back! Wortho needs another headlock.

Reply #709281 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

Best part of White's first post was the use of "Homicide" as a put down on Wortho. Shows White is a pretty good judge!

Reply #709282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see it as Homicide being a put-down. just that trying to be someone else (regardless of who) is fake and weak.

Reply #709283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Coincidence that Wortho announced his woes on LinkedIn (job seeking platform) of all places?"
Nope. I'm disappointed it worked for him. Another dud commentator, woohoo!

Reply #709308 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I didn't see it as Homicide being a put-down. just that trying to be someone else (regardless of who) is fake and weak.
It's pretty clearly referring to Homicide running off at the mouth with no information.

Reply #709317 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Wortho just trying to stay relevant.

He sounds robotic on the sportsbet ads.

Got no personality should stick to committing the foul like he did his whole career.

Reply #709336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not much of a Homicide fan, but I'd like to think that if pulled up like that, he'd be inclined to empathise a little. "You're right. My bad. That is an UGLY ankle."

Remember that Homicide is trying to make a career for himself in a foreign country away from friends and family. He'd barely have a chance now of standing out if he hadn't been brash his whole career. He'd be looking at the Stephen A Smiths of the US sports scene and figuring that his best chance is to carve out an Australian equivalent. I mute him, but I don't blame him for trying!

Reply #709360 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

My part time job is trolling Homicide on Twitter...

Reply #709373 | Report this post

Laura Norder  
Years ago

Homicide's part time job is clumsily fishing for attention on twitter. Looks like plenty are taking the bait.

Reply #709377 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Remember that Homicide is trying to make a career for himself in a foreign country away from friends and family. He'd barely have a chance now of standing out if he hadn't been brash his whole career. He'd be looking at the Stephen A Smiths of the US sports scene and figuring that his best chance is to carve out an Australian equivalent. I mute him, but I don't blame him for trying!
I'd be happy if they just let him do the fantasy promos, and the pre-game and post-game shows. Let him blather on there and keep him away from the game.

Reply #709382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754