fastpass
Years ago

VJBL Association rep trials

In the wake of recent association rep trials, and some utterly bewildering and ridiculous decisions, it certainly does seem to be a "race to the bottom" by some associations with regard to their selection process and youth development.

I don't want to name and shame on here, but some development directors certainly seem to have employed a "darts to the wall" scattergun approach, based on feedback from families at 4 associations in the South, East and South East.

No wonder then, that some have not had 1's teams in VC past couple of years .....

Topic #44083 | Report this topic

Years ago

X

Reply #709723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol families always a good source for unbiased information. Strange thread in so may ways.

Reply #709737 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree with the initial thread.

Perhaps clubs should consider taking player stats, training attendance, injury records into consideration to make informed decisions. At the moment it does feel random.

Parent coaches should also be eliminated from the selection process.

Parents have seen players play in actual games under all conditions in a long season so um yeah - nuf said.

Reply #710055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder then, that some have not had 1's teams in VC past couple of years .....

Some clubs no matter what will not make VC. I know of teams that have won all grading games and are good enough to move into VC but the pathway does not allow. I understand VJBL VC top 20 who start grading are based on ladders from the previous 2 year rankings. Is that still correct

Reply #710076 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Former coach.

I found that three weeks isn't enough to get it right. You tend to select the kids you know or stand out.

Six weeks for me is a better guide and less errors are made.

My advice to parents with kids who want to play rep ball is to play the long game.

Don't complain, get your kids to work on their game and keep coming back.

By 18's a lot of kids fall away and if your kid is good enough they will get a game.

Reply #710123 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

The selection process is necessarily subjective. Biggest issue is where coaches do not communicate. Got to tell the kids why the have or haven't been selected in a team - if the coach can’t do that, they probably don’t have a basis for the selection. Also, don’t move a kid from one team to another in front of everyone - really uncool way to treat someone, particularly a kid. We want these kids to keep engaged in the sport, and that sort of behaviour is peak in terms of losing a kid.

Reply #715490 | Report this post

Melhoops  
Years ago

As a coach, the first criteria I have employed for 20 years of tryouts is....

Are the parents nutcases who post their issues on basketball forums every time their child experiences a set back?

If so, your child goes to court 6

Reply #727720 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Been a while since I was involved in VJBL, directly anyhow, although I go to watch a game here and there I do enjoy my Friday nights off these days.

Having been a committee member, coach, manager, and parent, I just want to say if you are having a huge whinge but not stepping up to see what it takes to coach and manage yourself you may need to step back, take a breath and start listening more than you are talking.

Parents can make excellent coaches too, many Associations would not exist today without them, of course, it's hard to be objective, but you can still be fair and everyone needs to support one another (rule number one)!

Reply #727752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #753355 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754