yeet
Years ago

NBL game length and amount played

Games are very short, and not many are played in comparison to other leagues- NBA play 81. thoughts?

Topic #44340 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

OK.

Reply #717973 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

game time was reduced from 12 to 10 min quarters for TV if that is what you are asking

Reply #717977 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It's 82 games champ.
Are you referring to the NBL's 28 games because almost any other league outside NBA or G League is similar.

40 min games are common around the world too.

Reply #717978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games are small compared to other leagues. NBA has attendance of 18-20,000. thoughts?

Reply #717979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we really care? Thoughts!

Reply #717980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back the jump ball!!

Reply #717985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salaries are very short, and not many are paid in comparison to other leagues- NBA pay Harden $228 million. thoughts?

Reply #717992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The shift to 10 minutes was the worst change in australian basketball history. It was also done for the refs who would complain every season in big v about game length. Trying to give 12 guys minutes in a 40 minute game is impossible.

Reply #718009 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Not sure the 'change to 10 minutes' is the worst change made to the sport. This claim obviously references game duration, but basketball has 'always' been a 40 minute game - in my lifetime, at least - with the move to 48 mins the departure from the norm/international standard.

If you're looking for changes with adverse impacts on the game, try changing from halves to quarters. Yes, once it was a [40 minute] game of halves.

Try eliminating jump balls.

Try inventing a 'flop' call. [OK, that's out of sequence.]

Try bringing in a three-point line.

Actually, given the grizzles about the lack of post play & the NBA game at least becoming a 'game of three pointers', I wonder if the three point line might not disappear before long. Sincerely hope so.

I'm sure there are plenty of other contenders for the 'worst change ever' award but those are a few from my list.

Reply #718010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly, a 48-minute game would work well, seeing the pregame is pretty boring and repetitive

Reply #718026 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

NRL, AFL and cricket have all found ways to minimise the monotonous momemts in their respective sports. Of course the NBA wants as many breaks as possible and they can afford to do that for many reasons. I think the NBL needs to do the same as these sports so theres as few stoppages as possible and they are as short as possible.

Reply #718040 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, credit where it's due, Channel 9 did a superb job of removing the monotonous aspects of cricket from its broadcast ;)

Reply #718042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thoughts?

Reply #718044 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Im talking about T20 and the speed at which overs need to be bowled, how soon batsmen need to take crease etc. Test cricket will always be monotonous to some.

Reply #718046 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Lets just play 162 games per season like MLB Baseball ;)

Reply #718049 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Anyone have an idea of what the fixtures will be for next season? Are going to have an extra 2 home and away games? Or will they go and play each team 3 time's? Seeing that they don't do the split against each team for ladder positions?

Reply #718051 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I think 4 games against each team works well.
Assuming next season we go to 32 games, I think that will be fine, I don't mind a couple of extra games.

Any more than that, I think we start to run into problems with venues being unavailable due to Tennis, and we'd have to see more midweek games, of which I'm not a fan

Reply #718054 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

If you want games to go faster, how about enforcing the 5 second rule for free throws instead of screwing around for 20 seconds while the player bounces the ball up and down 57 times to ensure it's reasonably inflated or whatever? Rule is 5 seconds to shoot the damn thing once you get it from the ref. So shoot it.

Reply #718059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it GG

Reply #718061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the issue being referenced is there is not much playing time throughout the season, due to short games and few games. I think the biggest issue with this relates to developing young Australian players. It takes some time to acquire suitable professional experience.

However, I think NBL is pretty much stuck in this situation. Game time is influenced by broadcast concerns, and FIBA compatibility. I think the number of games is probably most influenced by the number of teams, in turn influenced by the popularity and commercial viability of the sport as an entertainment service.

I think it's something to be aware of, but nothing to be changed. Young players will just have to do what they can outside of NBL game time.

Reply #718062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I rather they enforce the the three seconds in the key, and even follow the nba re defensive three seconds.
Two more teams at start next season would be nice, go back to ten man roster, two imports and one no college and done guy.

Reply #718071 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

of course they have a team meeting before that as well gordong....

Reply #718077 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I rather they enforce the the three seconds in the key, and even follow the nba re defensive three seconds.
Yeah, let's get rid of defence, that change has been so popular in the NBA of late.

Actually, given the grizzles about the lack of post play & the NBA game at least becoming a 'game of three pointers', I wonder if the three point line might not disappear before long. Sincerely hope so.
There is less than zero change of this, and it would utterly ruin the game if it did. People aren't going to unlearn the analytics, so nobody will ever take a shot outside the paint. No player will ever be further than ten feet from the rim at any time in any possession. It'd be a horrible, unwatchable mess.

There was good spacing back in the 70s/early 80s because people still thought three-point-range two-point jump shots were good shots. They don't anymore.

Reply #718086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An open 2 point shot from the 3 point arc by a good perimeter shooter is still a much better shot than a nine footer with 2 defenders contesting it

Reply #718091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The play would adapt to whatever changes are made. The trick is predicting whether the adaptations would make the game more or less popular. These days it seems that everyone wants higher scoring so I agree there's no way the 3 point line will go. If anything they would add a 4 point line even further out.

Reply #718094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, let's get rid of defence, that change has been so popular in the NBA of late.

No let's play real defence, one one one instead clogging the key up with bodies. Let talented players play.

Reply #718097 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

USA is a much bigger place with far more teams both at a junior and professional level and more fans hence the more games.

Reply #718099 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

longer games please

Reply #718190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754