Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney vs Perth - Thur 6th Dec - 7:50pm AEDT

Shaping as a humongous game and the 2nd big test for Perf.
They only passed the last one with an injury to Flopking and a bit of home cooking. How will they go in the first big challenge on the road. I really hope Martin is back for this and Brandt plays more minutes cos I really want to see the best go against the best. Excited to watch how Randle goes against the best defensive combo in the league and at the other end see if Bogut can dominate Perf's Small Wall as I think that will decide the game.

Topic #44394 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best isn't going against the best. The best is playing the Sydney Kings.

Reply #720077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit early for game thread.

"Perfs small wall"
Yeah righto buddy because a wall of Brandt, Kay and Jervis is small against Bogut, Kickert and that other import bloke who isn't of NBL standard.

Reply #720079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if David Wear will be suiting up

Reply #720081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bit early for game thread."
Nobody forcing you to be here butthead.

"Yeah righto buddy because a wall of Brandt, Kay and Jervis is small against Bogut,"
Well let me when those players ever appear on the court together ok wheezy.

Reply #720088 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Anons shouldn't do game threads.
Jack Toft is better but he is probably on vacation as the game is 4 days away.

Sydney the best lol.

Reply #720094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth's small wall? Have you seen Angus Brandt up close, the guy is a giant. He dwarfs Bogut.

Reply #720095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Headline: Red Army fan argues Brandt is bigger than Bogut, even though he's not.

Story: Despite being listed as 5cm shorter and 5kgs lighter, Perth Red Army marks still believe Angus Brandt is bigger than Bogut based purely on the fact that he’s a Perth Wildcat.

When asked why they thought this way, they said let’s go wildcats let’s go while listening to 80s hair metal in their 100% polyester polo supplied by their club.

"The Wildcats is the best," said Red Army memeber 186.

“They are 10-1 and have Angus Brandt who makes the biggest dunk shots.

“How many dunk shots as bogut made this season? I wouldn’t know because he’s not from perth.

“Brandt’s also bigger than Homicide so take that too!’

While they are correct that Brandt is indeed bigger than Homicide, the fact it had nothing to do with the conversation did not matter to the Red Army memeber.

“We are so much better than everyone else. 10-1. Let’s go wildcats let’s go.”

Reply #720101 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Best v best?

Are you talking about Perf v Melbourne game?

Sydney with 1 import will struggle against Perf.

Reply #720102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brb starting up the Hawks Aussie Day in Canberra thread

Reply #720104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brb starting up the Hawks Aussie Day in Canberra thread"

Finally... How long were you expecting us to wait patiently

Reply #720105 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

#720101 pretty much nailed it.

Very much looking forward to this game. It's about time we were tested against a good opponent, and we should be back close to full strength so no excuses.

Reply #720106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool article on Bogut and Martin:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/emu-exports-forged-in-fire-junior-teammates-andrew-bogut-and-damian-martin-to-clash-for-the-first-time-ng-b881033556z

Reply #720107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spelling does help too. #noanonymoustopicstarters

Reply #720113 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I agree that this will be a major test for us.
Perhaps "best vs best" would be United vs United, but this is certainly up there.
It's always been my opinion that the addition of Bogut to this league changed the way other teams looked at their front courts, and that effect was cumulative. Although it proved to be more of a swapping frenzy than actually adding much to the league. Be interesting to see whether we start Brandt or Jervis.

Need Martin back for this game.

Reply #720117 | Report this post

Perth easy.

Referees cant let the team they adore and worship lose.

Reply #720127 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dickhead ^.

Reply #720129 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Actually, I love it, because it shows the whole absurdity of the argument.
Refs favour Perth just because they love us. That's the best you can come up with?

Reply #720138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see what the Kings do when Wear inevitably screws up, the crowd starts groaning and Perth wins by double figures. Probably nothing given this new ownership is crap and not interested in winning.

Reply #720154 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Perth win= the Refs love Perf
Sydney win= see Perf are pretenders.

Hoping for a good game.

Anon #720101 where is my team supplied polo? I had to buy mine! Lucky I'm a cashed up bogan living off the mining boom that ended 10 years ago.

Let's go Wildcats, let's go!
(Cheap Trick playing in the background)

Reply #720169 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Just for the record, 80's Hair Metal is reserved for Heritage Round.

PS: The polos used to be Poly~Cotton, but they would shrink in the wash (or inside Challenge Stadium in Summer) giving rise to moobs,
hence the move to 100% Poly.
Now the only Cotton in Perth Arena, is Bryce.

PSS: The Boom is only dead if you let it go.
Or if you live in Baldivis.

Reply #720179 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

You gotta start Jervis, he is playing only 5 minutes a game so let him cop the bad calls by overzealous refs that we get in the first minutes of the game... it's not worth putting all your good players on to start a game.

Really looking forward to this game and seeing how the Americans perform for Sydney, David Wear absolutely sucks so if he doesn't get axed before the game then I'm thinking that he had to "return to America for family reasons" due to how inept he is in this league. I'd put Deng Deng on more than Wear (maybe only for that epic dunk and his athleticism). Lisch had a shocker vs Melbourne so needs to make us forget about how he lost the game for Sydney, but will he step up ?

Reply #720181 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm a bit worried about this game, I think Kings can knock us off at home even if we are at full strength.

Gaze is our x-factor in this one.

Reply #720201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gaze is our x-factor in this one."

In what way?

Reply #720208 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"In what way?"

Deeming his probable incompetence to be the King's downfall if they lose.

Reply #720213 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't know about whether he is their "x-factor".

I'd prefer to use the term "achilles heal".

Reply #720214 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Kings achilles heal, Cats x-factor. Makes sense, he would break the game wide open for the Cats! :P

Reply #720218 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It's a good point about Gaze.
If (and its a big if) the Wildcats can get out to an early lead, and/or get Bogut in trouble, Gaze will fuck up.

I almost agreed with Jervis, problem is I don't want to be sending Bogut to the stripe too much too early. Plus we'd then sit Jervis.
If it were me (which it isn't) I'd start Wagstaff and Hire alongside Kay, and really go the niggle. Cop the early fouls, then tag-team Bogut for the rest of the game with Brandt & Jervis.

I really hope Martin is up for this, cos I want to see Norton relieving at the 2 when Cotton sits. Really put the niggle on Sydney's backcourt

Reply #720222 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Bogut vs Brandt/Jervis
Randle vs Martin
Lisch vs Cotton
Newley vs Terrico

Some very nice match-ups there, the edge might just go to the Cats with Kay vs Wear/Kickert. A couple of former DPoY's in Lisch and Martin both taking on the younger offensive beasts in Cotton and Randle. Bogut who will prob be the current DPoY will most likely dominate Brandt and Jervis. Very interesting game and I'm looking forward to it after a week off.

Reply #720232 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The biggest X-Factor here is Bryce Cotton's thumb injury.

Reply #720240 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"The biggest X-Factor here is Bryce Cotton's thumb injury."

Yep, game over if he isn't suiting up. :/

Reply #720244 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

If Martin and Cotton are close to 100%, Perth wins.
But how much does a sore (or numb) thumb effect his shooting?

Randle's good, but he can't carry his team against a fully functioning Perth backcourt.

Up front, the question is whether Bogut is good enough to dominate the combination of Brandt/ Kay/ Jervis/ & Wagstaff? He's undoubtedly the best big man in the league, but can he carry the can for 40~45 minutes against the best 4-man frontcourt combo?
He'll get no help from Wear, and old-mate Kickert's laziness & softness will be found out against the Wildcats.

Reply #720289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clint is the Key.

Perth have to win this from outside, and lets face it nobody at Sydney will put up much of a defence. Lisch still their best, and's getting old.

SO they'll need to Clint to make it rain

Reply #720330 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Hard to see where the Kings won't have a hard night against the Wildcats on Thursday...

Even if Damo is 50%, Randle is going to have a really hard time getting all his shots up, so he might have to register a few assists this game, even if by accident...

So someone else is going to have to step up and as AD said, the Kings can't rely on either Kickert or Wear so Bogut will have the pressure on all night with some quality bigs that can hit shots from range... I have a feeling that Bogues fouls out this game and gets stupid frustrated...

There's a good chance Newls continues his solid form and they'll definitely need both him and Lisch to be hitting their shots...

But... Defence, defence, defence... Otherwise it could get ugly at home for the Kings...

Reply #720351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are probably favorites to win, particularly as Jerome Randle isn't sure what night the game is on.

Reply #720383 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Looks like Damo will be playing, Cotton on the plane to Sydney, and Jervis will still be starting over Brandt is the current news coming out. Cotton still not confirmed to play, but good signs if they are flying him over.

Reply #720389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Up front, the question is whether Bogut is good enough to dominate the combination of Brandt/ Kay/ Jervis/ & Wagstaff? He's undoubtedly the best big man in the league, but can he carry the can for 40~45 minutes"

are you predicting multiple overtimes? because Bogut normally plays about 30 minutes

Reply #720432 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yes he does, and that's my point. He can't do it on his own, and who's going to help him?
Kickert is old, lazy, soft, and selfish, and Wear is hopeless>

But yeah, based on close games to date, at least one OT would seem a good bet.

Reply #720515 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sydney with a real opportunity to knock off Perth this game. Despite being unable to knock off their Mel-born opponents, they seem to be getting stronger and stronger.

Perth can't seem to do anything wrong at the moment. They could knock someone off and the cops wouldn't be able to pin it on them. They could even put their onions on top of their sausages and get away with it.

I'm thinking the matchups don't seem to matter much these days, but what does matter is what Santa has in his sack. Will Christmas come early for Sydney? Are there any Christians left in Sydney?

Surely a rested, full strength Sydney could give Perth a lump of coal?

Reply #720566 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

This is a game Sydney need to win if they are genuine about competing with either Perth or Melb in the playoffs.

Reply #720573 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Looks like Damo will be playing, Cotton on the plane to Sydney, and Jervis will still be starting over Brandt is the current news coming out. Cotton still not confirmed to play, but good signs if they are flying him over."

I hope so. Need both Martin and Cotton at close to 100%. If they are, then I'd back our backcourt. If not, Randle and Lisch could get off the leash.

Reply #720575 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Damo confirmed to play, but will have limited minutes.

Reply #720590 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings by 8 or Perth by 14, flip a coin.

Reply #720592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game is a free shot for Sydney.

Perth are due for a loss.

No sweat for perth I'd they lose

Reply #720601 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This all centres around Bryce Cotton's fitness.

No Bryce Cotton then Sydney is a good bet (to me anyway)

Reply #720605 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Martin confirmed to play but with reduced minutes.
I like the idea of him playing in bursts anyway.
Norton 25-28 mins
Martin 12-15 mins.

Reply #720617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game is a free punch for Perth given all the injuries. The pressure is on Sydney for this one.

Reply #720621 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Perth might lose just cos they can can. If they pinch this one without cotton then .....

Reply #720632 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"This all centres around Bryce Cotton's fitness.
No Bryce Cotton then Sydney is a good bet (to me anyway)"

Yep, they're giving him til gameday, which means he's not there yet. Doesn't sound good.
Or they're foxing.

If he's out, it gets very tough for Perth, especially with Martin on reduced minutes.
I'm assuming no Cotton would mean they go with 10 players?

Reply #720634 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

I would personally rest Cotton, no need to rush him back. As long as they stay competitive without him in or out.

Considering some people didn't even pick them to even make the finals they are going good atm.

Still say, they are going with 2 imports, Sydney are tough and want to prove themselves against us. But I look at it IF we make the finals can we beat a Sydney/Melbourne in a series? Not a one off game. Perth get a crack at Sydney next Friday at home and really looking forward to seeing bogut live.

Reply #720640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no inside info at all but i am 100% certain Cotton will play.

Reply #720642 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

As this point Perth are thinking about another ring. They've been lucky the last two times. In 2016 Melbourne crashed out giving them homecourt advantage in the GF. IN 2017, Joey's tanking gave them cairns in the SF, then Adelaide crashed out giving them HCA advantage again.
Short story: They want to finish 1st and retain HCA.

They maybe 10-1, but they've had an easy run so far, and they will want to consolidate their lead before things get tougher.
Plus they have to know that this season it won't be them pulling a Cotton out of their are and storming home

Reply #720653 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

You want to win all the games you can, even when 10-1, but I agree that out of all teams, the Wildcats constantly have the end goal in mind, so they won't be risking players re-injuring themselves just for the sake of a single win... They'll try hard and will expect to get out of Sydney with a win, but they won't take unnecessary risks for the greater good...

Reply #720668 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Perth's sensational start to this season has to be recognised. But, the very obvious question has to be, "peaked too soon?".

The comments through this forum have belted some of the poorer performing teams. Lately, the tone has changed towards acknowledging the improvements some of these teams have made/are making.

Adelaide minus DeLeon and adding Conger, Brisbane Gee for Patterson and looking for new import PG, NZ just have to gel. When their roster starts to produce as a team what they bring as individuals, look out.

The rest of this season should be very interesting as these teams do improve. BTW, I am not hoping Perth suffer (too much!), just looking forward to the challenges ahead. And really, the FIBA break is just like an interval. Coke and pop (neither is an euphanism) and back for the second round.

Reply #720669 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I for one am grateful that Adelaide tanked in 2017 and choked in semi finals.

Can't wait for this game as a fan you want your team to win but I feel the pressure is on Sydney especially given the congestion on the ladder.

Reply #720670 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Lisch to miss 2 right-handed lay-ups. Wear to miss 5 x 3PG.

Reply #720671 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth's sensational start to this season has to be recognised. But, the very obvious question has to be, "peaked too soon?".

I don't think peaked too soon applies to a team that has been so injury-depleted recently. If anything we're a team that has potential to be better by getting our full team back on the court.
Having said that, those wins while depleted came against some pretty ordinary opponents so as rewarding as they were, I'm not getting too excited about them.

Starting tonight we've got a run of games against some proper opponents so we'll have a better idea of how good the Cats actually are.

Glad to have NBL back after those meh FIBA games!!

Reply #720676 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cotton is not playing tonight (Wildcats just confirmed on twitter)

Reply #720682 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney definitely shouldn't drop this considering Cotton's absence.

Reply #720684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is too good. After Sydney wins the arrogant cats will use Cotton as an excuse for their overhyped team losing and it will keep them complacent so they will lose later on once he is back as well.

Reply #720688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"After Sydney wins the arrogant cats will use Cotton as an excuse for their overhyped team losing"

And? Is it not a decent reason to lose a game, when you are missing your best player?

Reply #720698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has Perth peaked when they probaly never had a full strength lineup all year and still missing a third import. Plenty of room to improve

Reply #720713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Cotton means Perth backcourt will get outscore heavily

Reply #720714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is it not a decent reason to lose a game, when you are missing your best player?"

Thats my point. Yes its a good reason but leaning on that will mask over any other problems.

Reply #720715 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Perth lose meh so what.
7 other teams would happily take a 10-2 record.

Reply #720716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what problems might those be?

Reply #720717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically a free swing for the cats tonight. Win and it's a huge victory for the team, lose and well no one is really expecting too much playing the Kings with no Cotton, and it's a fairly valid excuse especially if its close.

A lot of pressure on Sydney to win this.

Reply #720718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean, a team that is 10-1 and on a five game winning streak while missing multiple starters, and that has been playing its best team ball for a few seasons, probably doesn't have a lot of problems compared to other teams.

Reply #720719 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Cotton's absence is a major issue for the Wildcats. Who knows when he'll be back, and when he'll be able to shoot and pass properly. The fact that they can't even suit him up is alarming.

I'm not interested in making excuses. Saying "we bombed out in year X because of injuries" is pointless. I want to win, but this game just got a whole lot tougher.

The saving grace is that Gaze is truly hopeless. Give him a chance to win this for us and he will. We just have to give him the opportunity.
Th great thing about basketball, is that your saviour can come from anywhere, we just need others to fire in Cotton's place.

I just wish that will all these injuries, we had somebody half-decent sitting on the end of the pine. Makes we wonder why we don't use that DP slot more effectively? I'm loving what Vague has been doing this season, but it would be better if he were doing it as a DP, and we had somebody else in the 11. OR At least if we had somebody better than Cummings.

So I guess the linup for tonight is:
Norton / Martin
White / Stiendl
Hire / Vague
Kay / Wagstaff
TJ / Brandt

If we can just stop Hire & Vague from taking 3-point shots, we could be ok.

Reply #720721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The fact that they can't even suit him up is alarming."

It really isn't. The team can afford to take the loss, and after this season they would have the full confidence they can win anyway. Better to let him recover properly rather than risk further aggravation.

Reply #720722 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Cotton ruled out.

Reply #720723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, thanks for the update LB.

Reply #720724 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"The fact that they can't even suit him up is alarming."

The fact he flew over, the fact he's putting up shots, the fact he didn't need surgery, the fact the Cats haven't started looking for a replacement import are facts enough to know this is not alarming...

Reply #720726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's definitely a lot of words AD.

Reply #720727 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

How are we allowed to play Dech?

Have they changed the rules?
Don't get me wrong, I've always thought the rule was a little uptight, but this is actually what it was supposed to stop, teams effectively keeping a spare on standby.

Reply #720728 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Which is more debilitating to a team?

Cotton's Thumb Injury Vs Andrew Gaze's Coaching.

We will soon find out.

This is not a vote of confidence on Andrew but I think Cotton's thumb is worse.

Reply #720734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why shouldn't they be allowed to play dech???

Reply #720739 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Was injury replacement for damo now for cotton. No free hit, play to win. Just keep shooting, play d and you are always a chance.

First 5 min will be crucial for Perth, King's get going will be tough but hey the ref's love Perth?

76 posts and the game hasn't started yet you can't tell me that perth no one cares about the wildcats!

Reply #720740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the rules say "the NBL General Manager may approve a Player being
used as a replacement Player for the same NBL Club more than once during the
course of an NBL Season for reasons other than the occurrence of a season
ending injury or illness." so again AD why shouldn't they be allowed to play dech?

Reply #720743 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Realistically Sydney should win with our best player and league MVP out. Sydney at home and fresh as daisies.

Simply a BONUS if Trev masterminds a win for the good guys

Reply #720744 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yes,
There is the rule that says we can't have Dech back, except to replace a season-ending injury.
But yes, that can be waived by the GM.

The other problem is signing ANY injury replacement for Cotton. He must be placed on a 21 day waiver.
So either he was Never going to play (already being on a waiver)
or they have waived him now for 3 weeks.

Reply #720745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the rules have changed?

Reply #720746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or maybe the GM just said it was fine for Dech to be used again as an injury replacement. surely that is the simplest explanation.

Reply #720747 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Or Dech is a DP?
Anyone know how old he is?
Only source I could find said he was born in 94, which would make him eligible.

Or yes, the rules have changed. Obviously they're not just trying to sneak him in and hope nobody notices.
I'd just like to know what the rules are.

Reply #720748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or the rules haven't changed and the GM said it was fine for Dech to be used again as an injury replacement

Reply #720749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh great. Shane heal again. Says no one

Reply #720752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F*** me the music at the game is annoying.

Am sitting in another room listening to the game, it's like I’ve got a radio blasting an easy listening channel.

Not exactly to the standards one would expect of a marquee team.

Reply #720756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it a rest AD, nobody cares.

Reply #720757 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Norton racking up fouls is far from ideal

Reply #720759 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Sydney should be killing Perth.. look at the talent level! Having said this, let's wait and see if it happens. Gaze is definitely the Wildcats biggest strength in this game

Reply #720760 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth getting some home cooking here...

Reply #720761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze can't be blamed for lame defence from Bowen or Kicket.

Reply #720762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J sooking about reffing is like the sun rising in the morning

Reply #720763 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I disagree.. who hold them accountable for their defence? That is the coach's job

Reply #720764 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And David Wear is an absolute fish.

Reply #720766 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nothing wrong sith Sydney's D that half.
33 points ... yikes

Reply #720767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is the coaches job, but he can't defend for them. Some kings players got no defence at all.

Reply #720768 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I believe the 33 points in a half is more down to Perth lacking any real scorers outside of White rather than Sydney playing good defense. As a coach what you emphasise is more important than what you teach, obviously defense gets minimal emphasis

Reply #720770 | Report this post

When do the refs panick and start to give everything to Perth?

It will happen.

Reply #720772 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cotton is someone who is good enough to score even if the D is good.
Plenty of these Cats are capable players. They put up 91 last game without Cotton and with Brandt restricted.
Credit where it's due from me. Kings are defending very well IMO.

Reply #720773 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Travels all getting called one way, can't touch them without getting a foul and all the out of bounds going one way. Way to go refs hand the game to the Kings in one half of basketball.

Reply #720774 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

What's happened to the NBA has real issues haha.

Reply #720775 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

The travels were legitimately travels. Are you suggesting that they don't call them?

Reply #720776 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Steindl one wasn't.

Reply #720777 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes.
If one team travels a lot then it is unfair to call any travels because the calls would be one-sided and good reffing needs even calls. You know it makes sense.

Reply #720778 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Steindl seemed like a travel to me

Reply #720780 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Lol Luuuc.. Kobe I thought Steindl's was as he dragged his pivot

Reply #720781 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Looks like Wear read my posts at the half

Reply #720782 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Then they call a ridiculous foul on lish...

Reply #720783 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

If Sydney aren't careful the wildcats will get back into this

Reply #720784 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perth are the best team in the comp and comfortably I might add.

You just watch them play and how they play defense and run their sets is above and beyond everyone else. A well drilled machine comes to mind as an appropriate phrase.

Teams like Sydney and Melbourne can maybe stay with them for a bit of the game/or pinch a game here or there - but teams like Sydney tend to look less secure and heavily reliant on individual brillance on a specific night;

Reply #720785 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Macdub.. I agree with all you said. Wildcats get an A+ for chemistry and teamwork

Reply #720786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game is primed for a Sydney choke

Reply #720787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game is honestly a bit of a snoozefest 58-49 at 3qt isn't a great look

Reply #720788 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Still waiting for the day a ref finally calls Norton for carrying. It's unbelievable. I've seen worse in Under 8's.

Reply #720789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Syndey v Perth in the GF calling it now. although a full strength Perth could be a worry for Sydney

Reply #720790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone can choke this game.

It's adelaide

Reply #720791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope the nba scouts aren't watching, Bowen has spuded it.

Reply #720792 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Especially tough watch if you watched the Lakers-Spurs game on ESPN today. Not quite the same as watching Lebron in the 4th hitting 36-footers!

Reply #720793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol yeah the kings don't seem to be the same old chokers we all knew and loved

Reply #720794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only seen bits and pieces of the 2nd half but Perth seem to have missed a fair few easy buckets, pretty costly

Reply #720795 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Those of you calling for a Sydney choke might be on the money

Reply #720796 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

2nd flop, second reward.

Reply #720797 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

2nd flop, second reward.

Reply #720798 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kings looking crumblish.

Reply #720799 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

2 possession game with 88 seconds left.. kings should take away the 3 ball and if they score again it should be over.

Reply #720800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an epic battle of the greatest NBL analysts in the country.
In the red corner it is J - the board's biggest one eyed whinger - convinced that every reffing decision ever made in a cats game went against Perth
In the blue corner it is Whats Happened to the NBA - also the board's biggest one eyed whinger - convinced that every reffing decision ever made in a cats game favoured Perth
Both make compelling cases backed by facts, logic and astute observations.

Reply #720801 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So randle doesn't need to play the ball? Two hand shove in the chest...

Reply #720802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf was that...

Reply #720803 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow Kings really trying to lose.

Reply #720804 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Lucky perth hasn't received any of the soft calls sydney has had all game. I would be worried if i was sydney.

Reply #720805 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Haha.. ok I'll say it, kings played good defense that last possession

Reply #720806 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bogut vs. Gleeson!

Reply #720807 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Haha.. Bogut in Wildcat huddle.

Reply #720808 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Excellent trolling by Bogut. Trev responds the best way he knows how - by being a flog.

Reply #720809 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Gleeson should've been Teed up for pushing Bogut

Reply #720810 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Coach shoves player no call... surely terrico fouled on the 3??

Reply #720811 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Well done Kings...think Cotton is worth 5 points.

Reply #720812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the replay again. Gleeson just put his hand on Bogut's chest, nothing major and I’m pretty sure he’s entitled to tell a player to fuck off from his huddle. Bogut yanks his arm away so Gleeson pushes him back. Bogut is a fuckstick.

Reply #720813 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

No Cotton No Wildcats simple

Reply #720814 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Ridicolous by Gleeson. Smart by Bogut.

You can't expect to not call a timeout and yet have all the benefits of a timeout. Bogut is entitled to be there if its a meeting on the floor and not a TO.

I don't actually even know why the refs allow those types of meetings during stoppages; they should be killed off - teams should have to use a TO if that want to chat or if they don't have any then tough luck.

Reply #720815 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I love you bogut, don't ever change.

Reply #720816 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Bogut gonna have a good laugh tonight.

Could have been a match winning play if Gleeson got the T. It would have been the correct call, but I think the refs saw Bogut's ploy for the shit stir that it was.

Reply #720817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No Cotton No Wildcats simple"

Yet they only lost by 2 can we stop with this 1 player injured means a team loses bullshit same for any bloody team

Reply #720818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Gleeson has the right to put a hand on Boguts chest, initially nothing in it, just a back of. Then Bogut grabbed his arm which is kind of prompted more from Gleeson.

It was just Bogut trolling, I mean what reaction did he expect, it's not like Gleeson would welcome him in. All in all nothing in it, a stupid (yet funny) incident started by Bogut.

Reply #720819 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I'm pretty sure he’s entitled to tell a player to ____ off from his huddle."

Says who? It wasn't a TO. The meeting was actually on the Court.

What is preventing Bogut from being there?

Sure it may not be in the spirit of the game; but if your the Wildcats you have to live with that if you're trying to get the benefits of a TO without calling a TO. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Reply #720820 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Watch the replay again. Gleeson just put his hand on Bogut's chest, nothing major and I'm pretty sure he’s entitled to tell a player to fuck off from his huddle.
No, Gleeson has no right to touch opposition players in any way, nor to be on the playing floor. He was doing both.

I don't actually even know why the refs allow those types of meetings during stoppages; they should be killed off - teams should have to use a TO if that want to chat or if they don't have any then tough luck.
How can you reasonably stop it?

Reply #720821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson shoved Bogut in the chest, Bogut is entitled to be there, it was not a time out, should've been tech on Gleeson. Gleeson is a good coach, no doubt but is a flog.

Reply #720822 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Lol Benno. Apparently the Kings are the team to beat, but at home against a team without its MVP and best defensive player on limited minutes still only got the job done by 5.

Reply #720823 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yet they only lost by 2
Oh boy.

I think Gleeson has the right to put a hand on Boguts chest,
Why?

It was just Bogut trolling, I mean what reaction did he expect
To deprive Perth of a free timeout, presumably.

Reply #720824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What is preventing Bogut from being there?"

The same thing that prevents opponents walking into on-court huddles during breaks in play. Its a dick move and designed to aggravate....with Bogut then following up with yanking Gleeson's arm away.

Reply #720825 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The same thing that prevents opponents walking into on-court huddles during breaks in play.
So nothing.

Reply #720826 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

The Wildcat huddle was not a "legal huddle" in a duly designated break in the game (time out or such) but an informal gathering in an attempt to give last minute instructions without using a time out.

As such the “huddle” doesn't have the status to be protected from an intruder, and Bogut had no obligation to be in his team’s “huddle”. He had just as much right to be there as if he were wearing a red uniform.

Cheeky. Stirring. Attempting to goad a T from the wildcats. Almost worked.

Reply #720827 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Well done Kings...think Cotton is worth 5 points."

On the injury announcement the line moved by 4 points so the bookies agreee.

Reply #720828 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I think it was well handled by the refs to be honest, Bogut trying to annoy and Gleeson reacted. If they had T'd up Gleeson every player will try to do the same thing at every huddle trying to draw a reaction. Refs dont want it and league would get annoyed at all the scuffles that would result.

Reply #720829 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"The same thing that prevents opponents walking into on-court huddles during breaks in play. Its a dick move and designed to aggravate....with Bogut then following up with yanking Gleeson's arm away."

So you're basically conceding that there is no rule preventing Bogut from being there - because you intimating that the only thing preventing Bogut from doing that is that its not in the spirit of the game (which I agree with) - but then again is trying to have a TO when you don't call a TO in the spirit of the game either?

Reply #720830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So nothing."

Is MACDUB said, not in the spirit of the game. Illegal huddle or not, all Gleeson did was put his hand on Bogut's chest. Not really a surprising reaction. Bogut was the one who overreacted.

Reply #720831 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wildcats demonstrated their ability to hang around and keep things interesting, and so did Bogut.

Reply #720832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why?"

An opposition player standing in on your huddle, I reckon you have the right to put a hand up and tell them to go away. There was nothing in it initially.

"To deprive Perth of a free timeout, presumably."

Yeah it's obvious why he did it, but its not like he would have expected them to just ignore him.

Reply #720833 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Anyone else surprised the whistle happy refs didn't T anyone up for the huddle incident? Oh wait Gleeson was the shover. Carry on.

Reply #720834 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

An opposition player standing in on your huddle in a spot on the court he's legally allowed to occupy
FTFY.

Reply #720835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So you're basically conceding that there is no rule preventing Bogut from being there"

When have I ever implied that there is a rule stating otherwise? There is no rule that says you can't clap your hands in someone’s face all night but if you do it, you’re going to get pushed away as a first reaction. That’s all Trevor did.

You said it yourself - it’s against the spirit of the game. Bogut knew that, he knew what would happen, so he yanked the coaches arm away.

Its amazing how people have been complaining for years about the niggle that Perth does and the reactions that it causes, but when someone niggles Perth, its their fault for reacting.

Reply #720836 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"The same thing that prevents opponents walking into on-court huddles during breaks in play."

He only walked to the edge of the huddle, not into it or into anyone. Sort of “hi guys. What are we talking about?”

Gleeson should have been more composed, and should know not to touch an opposition player (especially when he has illegally entered the court).

Bogut 1 Gleeson 0.

Reply #720837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson can expect a please explain from the league

Reply #720838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So koberulz, your only response is going to be, because Bogut had a legal right to be there, anything that happened to him from then on is everyone else's fault? That’s quite a bad argument.

Reply #720839 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Gleeson contacted Bogut first, maybe even with two touches to the chest, before Bogut took Gleeson's arm away.

God... wanker Wildcats. Such pricks man

Reply #720840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"FTFY."

I never said it was illegal for him to be there, it was a huddle not a time out. He didnt fo anything wrong by the rule book, all I'm saying is what reaction do people expect from Gleeson/Perth. People in other sports have tried the same thing and it usually ends in a shove to go away.

Reply #720841 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Damo is the only Wildcat I can cop

Reply #720842 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Agreed 100% with MacDub and Kobe on the Bogut/ Gleeson scenario. There is no rule against Bogut standing there, it wasn't a timeout.

Now.. if Bogut took a dive when Gleeson shoves him would he have been called for a flop? Lol

Reply #720843 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A loss that was always going to happen.
Cairns are next and that will be a cruisy win for Perth.

Reply #720844 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So koberulz, your only response is going to be, because Bogut had a legal right to be there, anything that happened to him from then on is everyone else's fault?
...yes? Gleeson shouldn't have been on the court, and shouldn't have touched him. It's not rocket science.

all I'm saying is what reaction do people expect from Gleeson/Perth.
Literally the only available action: ignore him.

Gleeson should have copped a tech at a minimum and be fronting the tribunal tomorrow.

Reply #720845 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"all I'm saying is what reaction do people expect from Gleeson/Perth. "

Either one of the following reasonable reactions would have sufficed perfectly mate:

(A) Actually call a timeout so he can't be there;

(B) Don't have player meetings on the Court outside of a TO; or

(C) Have player meetings on the Court but suck it up if a player wants to stand on the Court too and listen in if he wishes - and accept that as the quid pro quo of the potential benefit of such meetings.

It's not very hard.

Reply #720846 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I think Bogut may well have started a trend here.. I'm sure we will see more of it from here onwards. The refs probably didn’t know what to do or were otherwise engaged. I’m sure the league will direct them to T up anyone who does what Gleeson did in the future. A coach cannot touch an opposition player on the floor intentionally period.

Reply #720847 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Huddlegate:

My instinctive thought was that Bogut was trying to score a T to ice the game, hence why he reacted to Gleeson's touch. )Could Gleeson really affect Bogut physically with a touch or shove?)

Some here think he was just trying to stop tactical discussions.

Sydney were looking shaky. Some poor turnovers in bringing the ball up when Randle was pressed. Score the T. Seal the win. Almost worked.

Reply #720848 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Happy to get the W in an ugly game. As usual we did all we could to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Boguts huddle trolling is almost as old as basketball itself. I thought it was hilarious.

I wonder if Gaze noticed that White likes to pull up from the elbow, too. Didn't seem to be any attempt to take it away from him.

Reply #720849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Bogut for providing the only interesting moment in 2 hours

Reply #720850 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I was coaching years ago and had an opposition player do the same to me, I spoke the names of the plays only in a language that my team would understand and the opponent wouldn't. Then I wished the opposition good luck with understanding that.
As a coach you cannot touch a player on the floor

Reply #720851 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

FFS do we really care about Gleeson or Bogut?

That was a rather ordinary game. Wildcats spudded it in the 2nd, and Kings tried to keep em in it. Just rather ordinary allround. Sure only 5 points but I don't think either team can take a lot of pride from that.
Although, that said, in an 8 point game, Sydney came away with the win.

Really not impressed with White again tonight. Throws up too many bricks, and definitely not a clutch shooter.
Wagstaff just looking old.

Stiendl continues to impress, and Hire was useful.

Reply #720852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"(C) Have player meetings on the Court but suck it up if a player wants to stand on the Court too and listen in if he wishes - and accept that as the quid pro quo of the potential benefit of such meetings."

A Perth player still would have probably told him go away probably push him away.

There was nothing in the first bit of contact by Gleeson. It only escalated after Bogut grabbed his arm.

I thought it was funny (and smart by bogut) until it started to escalate a bit and people got critical of it. I don't think either deserved any punishment and thought the refs handled it well.

Reply #720853 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Huddlegate:

Gleeson might still be cited. A fine reduced (halved?) for early guilty plea. Bogut should offer evidence that he wasn't hurt by Gleeson.

What if Gleeson was coaching women or juniors? Coaches cannot step on the court and touch opposition players, aside from pre or post game handshakes.

Reply #720854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone stop talking about Bogut & Gleeson. The discussion king has spoken!!!!!

Reply #720855 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Tribunal for Gleeson? Really? What would that achieve except for a suspension that would make Perth stronger

Reply #720856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least UseTaHoop has provided a real reason for Bogut to be there - he wanted to stir the pot. Its a much more valid reason than "he can stand where he wants." I'm pretty sure that argument is straight out of the Simpsons.

Reply #720857 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

The Gleeson/ Bogut thing did bring some excitement to a game that was as boring as bat excrement. Interesting Bogut said in the interview at the end that their defense was lacking at times.

Reply #720858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure trev should have been t'd up but bogut is a shit stirrer and a little full of himself on how he looks at the league

Reply #720859 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Of course Bogut was trolling or stirring. He's been around long enough to know that the Kings were getting wobbly. It almost worked.

Gleeson needs some sanction so the NBL can show that they aren’t condoning it.

Junior coaches should tell their players not to "do a bogut" in coming weeks. Sportsmanship not gamesmanship for juniors.

Reply #720860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"yes? Gleeson shouldn't have been on the court, and shouldn't have touched him. It's not rocket science.".

That isn't relevant to the question I asked.

Reply #720861 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

No, no, by all means, lets just keep rehashing the same two sentences over and over again. After all, that's far more interesting than talking about the game.
I'm surprised nobody has thought to mention Gleeson's moobs? Surely they factor in?
Does Bogut have moobs? Did Gleeson touch them?

Reply #720862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Of course Bogut was trolling or stirring"

Exactly, he got a reaction, then decided he didn't like the reaction. That is the dick move. Don’t go looking for a reaction then complain when you get one.

Reply #720863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not naming any names because this could apply to anyone, but if you have nothing but crap to post there is a second option available that some people aren't aware of:
don't post

Reply #720864 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"yes? Gleeson shouldn't have been on the court, and shouldn't have touched him. It's not rocket science.".

That isn't relevant to the question I asked.
Of course it's relevant! It's the only thing that's relevant. Bogut was doing nothing wrong, if someone want to shove him that's absolutely on the person doing the shoving.

Exactly, he got a reaction, then decided he didn't like the reaction. That is the dick move. Don't go looking for a reaction then complain when you get one.
Assuming he was looking for a reaction, rather than merely attempting to disrupt the huddle, he would have been hoping for the reaction to result in a technical. Which won't happen if he doesn't react.

Reply #720865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok Rain Man, keep saying "Bogut didn't break the rules" as if that is the only valid point here. Do you want to wrap this up before Judge Warner comes on?

Reply #720866 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It is the only valid point.

Gleeson walked onto the court and put his hands on an opposition player in a confrontational manner. That's all that's relevant here.

Reply #720867 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Piss poor from a nba championship player. Can do it, if the role was reversed how would have he reacted?

Reply #720868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson walked onto the court and put his hands on an opposition player in a confrontational manner."

Now you're being ridiculous.

Reply #720869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Of course it's relevant! It's the only thing that's relevant. Bogut was doing nothing wrong, if someone want to shove him that's absolutely on the person doing the shoving."

IMO: Perth having a huddle, nothing wrong. Bogut going over to troll/disrupt, nothing wrong. Gleeson pushing him (let's be honest there was no force in it, was more of a back off) and telling him to go away (even though Bogut is legally able to be there), nothing wrong. Bogut grabbing Gleesons arm, wrong. Gleeson reacting by shoving more, wrong.

I don't really have a problem with any of it up until the point Bogut grabs him. If you really want to then I guess tech Bogut for the hold and then tech Gleeson for his reaction to the hold, but i don't think Gleeson should cop it for his initial tiny push.

If Bogut walked up, tried to get in the huddle, Gleeson gave him a push and said go away, Bogut walked off with a smirk and said "well, I tried", we would all be talking about how funny it was. Instead Bogut grabbed his arm and things escalated.

Reply #720870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly.

Reply #720871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. Bogut has every right to try to remove a hand that Gleeson had no right to put on him.

Reply #720872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't touch an opponent. It's pretty simple.

Reply #720873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't antagonise an opponent then complain when you get the expected reaction.

Reply #720874 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

What KR says is correct, the point he makes is the only relevant point. Why Bogut was there is totally irrelevant. That is why they have rules.

When you get a speeding fine, the cops don't ask why you were speeding do they? You were speeding so you were in the wrong.

Reply #720875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha yes they do, they ask every time and they write it on your ticket, and they do it for a specific reason. Terrible attempt an analogy there, JR.

Reply #720876 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good point made re: Gleeson standing illegally on the court when no timeout was called. These refs are horrendous. Also stupid reaction by Gleeson which probably should've given the Kings free throws and possession. Dumb behaviour by coach but bailed out by dumber refs. So Gleeson avoided two techs - floor violation plus later making contact with Bogut. They may be our team but at least kr and I et al. can be impartial.

Reply #720877 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You missed out Gleeson being on the floor when no timeout was called.

Reply #720878 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

You cop the fine irrespective of what you may answer.. so no not a terrible analogy. Bogut was entitled to be there, why he was there is not an issue.

Reply #720880 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And I have never heard a speed camera ask why

Reply #720881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You just said they dont ask why you were speeding in an attempt to say that why Bogut was there was irrelevant. That was your analogy. I'm not sure you understand the point being made.

Reply #720883 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Anyway enough said I'm done here

Reply #720884 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Funnily enough I got pulled over once and the cop asked me "why speeding?" I reply with "late for work" (the truth) and he let me go. Win.

Reply #720885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so now you're pretending you meant speed cameras....gotcha.

Reply #720886 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Re: Bogut/Gleeson.

I'm kinda glad the refs didn’t blow it out of proportion. It was hardly going to escalate beyond a couple of drongos playing silly buggers. This isn’t Manila. Although, maybe if a Perth assistant coach had been involved...

I guess it was a rather non-descript game so these silly things become important. Sydney still don’t convince me. Their lack of outside shooting against Perth’s zone is something I’d worry about if I were Gaze and I had a brain that hadn’t exploded.

A quick thought, is Wild Kyle Beach Bum Adnam the consistent version of Shane Heal’s fave player Jason STUDEE Cadee?

Reply #720888 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

What i miss?

Reply #720889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats happened to Whats happened to the NBA ?
He is nowhere to be seen just like the refs carrying Perth to victory was nowhere to be seen.

Reply #720890 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

212 posts and counting! Is it just me or is it just Perth games get everyone hyped?

Reply #720892 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shayno - stoppage with last 0:29 left of the game is when all the action starts.

Reply #720894 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

2 Techs to Gleeson. One for being on court. Two for squeezing manboobs.

Reply #720895 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"212 posts and counting! Is it just me or is it just Perth games get everyone hyped?"

It's because we are the centre of the universe. #RedArmy

Reply #720896 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Gleeson walked onto the court and put his hands on an opposition player in a confrontational manner."

Now you're being ridiculous
That's exactly what happened.

Gleeson pushing him (let's be honest there was no force in it, was more of a back off) and telling him to go away (even though Bogut is legally able to be there), nothing wrong.
Bullshit.

Don't antagonise an opponent then complain when you get the expected reaction.
He wasn't antagonising anyone. He was standing there. Nothing more.

Reply #720897 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Nearly snatch defeat from the Jaws of Victory. Very ugly. Unconvincing against a team without Cotton.

Reply #720898 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

218 to be exact

Reply #720899 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In the majority of games when there is a review both coaches step on the edge of the court and have a free timeout, happens in the nba too. For all the rule sticklers how can you penalise it this time when you have allowed it all the time. There is clearly an acceptance that teams can huddle with the coach at this time. Bogut was trolling, ffs get over it, as he said they were reminiscing about the olympics. Get over it. My ref rants are a better read then this back and forth... and that's a scary thought.

Reply #720901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut should have flopped. That would have made my year

Reply #720903 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

For all the rule sticklers how can you penalise it this time when you have allowed it all the time.
Who penalised it?

Reply #720904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were missing a closer down the stretch had cotton played that was a win

Reply #720905 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What timestamp do I need to look up for all the good stuff?

Reply #720915 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Honestly, only highlights were Randle's last shot of the 1st half and the last minute of the 4th Q.

TBH I don't care about Gleeson on the court, or the little grabby stuff with Bogut. Glad nothing was called. Bogut was trolling, and Gleeson should've let one of his players go for Bogut, but eh, would've been a shame to have a whistle blown. It was never going to escalate beyond that.

Reply #720918 | Report this post

Hoopla  
Years ago

Just shows that Bogut is bigger than his coach in terms of status because while Gaze was writing a play up for the King's Bogut was no where in sight.

Reply #720919 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Pretty sure Bogut is familiar with the "guys next possession lets run 3 ineffective dribble hand offs followed by an iso drive by Lisch or contested Newley 3" play.

Reply #720920 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not a convincing win for Sydney but a win nonetheless.
Hope Cotton is back for rematch next Friday.

Reply #720922 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Just shows that Bogut is bigger than his coach in terms of status because while Gaze was writing a play up for the King's Bogut was no where in sight.

Given the options of trolling the Perth huddle or listening to instructions from Gaze, I can't say with any conviction that Bogut made a poor choice.

Reply #720923 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems they get on pretty good (bogut gleeson) bitta byplay ...neither worried about it...pretty good to watch at the time...

Reply #720924 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

At least it woke everyone up after what was, let's be honest, not the most entertaining or inspiring game of basketball.

Reply #720926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damien Martin pretty much owned Randel all night but to Randels credit he hit a huge shot to steal Perth's momentum. Perth seriously need to move in on a third import. They need a swing man type pronto.

Reply #720930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth seriously need to move in on a third import. They need a swing man type pronto."

Why? They are 10-2, have been missing multiple starters for most of those games, and the players who would lose minutes to this third import have been playing very well.

Reply #720931 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Musta missed something!

How come no-one seems to have missed Cadee in this one?

Guess that made up for Cotton's absence!

Reply #720935 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

That was so gold he got Gleeson to bite, should have been a tech.

Reply #720937 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's worth mentioning again that the Wildcats have been pretty lucky with the scheduling during their injuries. A double-header versus Melbourne in the last couple of weeks instead of NZ and the conversation re: a 3rd import would be heating up most likely.

Reply #720939 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A third import is not necessary for Perth. They're 10-2 despite having 4 regulars missing games with injuries.
If Perth do grab third import imagine the saltiness from non Perth fans saying they're buying a championship lol.

Reply #720940 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The 10 wins for Perth:

Adelaide: 1
Illawarra: 2
Brisbane: 2
Melbourne: 1
NZ: 3
Cairns: 1

Melbourne game could have (should have) been a loss, and NZ are a mess but still should have taken 1 of those games. Otherwise it's feasting on Brisbane and Illawarra with a side serving of Cairns, which is not overly impressive. 10-2 is great and all, but I just don't think it's as dominant as it looks given the opponents, or that it means Perth shouldn't look at a 3rd import. I mean, I *hope* they don't, don't get me wrong...

Reply #720942 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So they've only beaten six of the seven opposition teams in the NBL despite being without key starters?

Reply #720947 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's worth mentioning again that the Wildcats have been pretty lucky with the scheduling during their injuries. A double-header versus Melbourne in the last couple of weeks instead of NZ and the conversation re: a 3rd import would be heating up most likely.

It might be, but it wouldn't change the fact that when healthy the Cats are a more than decent team. And as long as injuries are not season-ending then it's fair to assume that we will still be a more than decent team come playoff time, so there's no reason to make any moves before the playoffs qualification cutoff date. In fact I think it would be counterproductive to do so because it would only restrict what we could do if we did then lose a player.

Plus - rendering the above considerations moot - we can't afford another import anyway right?. Or at least not one that is remotely good. The salary rules don't allow stacking your bench with stars. If we're limited to bringing in a cheap scrub what's the point?

Reply #720948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a good shooting night. A little out hustled on transition & panicky at the end. Defense was good (limiting to 77 with Newley and lisch firing is good). Brandt and Martin on minutes restrictions and not fully match fit. No Cotton and a better team than NZ. I can't help see some positives. I kept thinking they could still get it until the final minute.
And still 1 game clear of Melbourne who have their tennis trip coming up as well.

Reply #720949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its absolutely moronic to say that a team is 10-2 while missing multiple starters "isn't overly impressive." Sure, they got lucky with the easier match-ups but they still won games they could have lost, including a massive come from behind win against the Breakers. Its actually more impressive that they showed the resilience to win, when they could have easily lost at least a couple of those games.

Reply #720952 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm not worried, almost stole another game if it wasn't for some poor shooting and bad decisions at the end. I'd be more worried if I was a Kings supporter and was impressed by that win.

Reply #720959 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Melbourne and Adelaide wins were (I believe - memory might be failing me) while healthy?

Not taking away from what they've done, especially the NZ games with the injuries they have, just saying that they have had a lucky schedule re: timing with the injuries.

And agree that Kings fans should definitely not be impressed with that game... Certainly the Kings fans in our section of the arena weren't. It belies belief that a team with the talent we have can make it so hard on themselves to generate offense.

Reply #720978 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The biggest thing that stood out to me was they kept guarding Terrico with Randle or Adnam?! The size difference was huge, if Terrico was hitting his shots and Wildcats abused this matchup more often it could've been a Cats blowout.

Lisch and Newley saved the Kings by scoring precisely when they needed it.

Reply #720985 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Whilst I dont think Cats need a third import I do think that they can/should be getting someone better than White. He is too passive on the court and extremely hot and cold with his shooting... I cant stand the mid range jump shot in basketball and he seems to take too many of those instead of putting pressure on the D and driving to the hoop.

Gleeson v Bogut - who cares, give Gleeson a fine which he deserves and admit that Bogut is a douche... that isnt exactly breaking news, he has acted like a turd the whole time he has been in the league.

The minutes were an even spread for Perth last night too, maybe keeping some in the reserve tank for Cairns on Sunday? with exceptions to White and Kay I think nobody else played much more than half a game?

Reply #721025 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Also remember Norton got injured in the Boomers game so only played limited minutes too.

Reply #721031 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Also remember Norton got injured in the Boomers game so only played limited minutes too.

Reply #721032 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"getting someone better than White. He is too passive on the court and extremely hot and cold with his shooting... I cant stand the mid range jump shot in basketball and he seems to take too many of those instead of putting pressure on the D and driving to the hoop"

Recently watched some footage from when he was with Detroit and he was throwing down Vince Carter like reverse 360 between the legs dunks, but that was circa 2011 and then he broke his foot, so obviously the injury and being an ageing vet he has had to adjust his game hence the barrage of mid rage jumpers. I think he he is well suited to the Cats and his personality fits well too. We'd be singing his praises if he had hit a higher percentage of his shots. I'd rather have him taking shots than Steindl constantly thinking he needs to shoot unbalanced turn around fadeaways from the 3pt line...

Reply #721034 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Senator - I think you might be right if Cotton is playing (can be more passive and let Cotton be the aggressor). But with Cotton out he needs to step up and play aggressive basketball. Analytics show that the mid range jump shot is the worst shot to take, rather him shoot the 3 ball than a mid range 2. And if his broken foot / age is the reason behind it, then lets sign someone who hasnt broken his foot and isnt his age haha.

My wanting a better import goes well beyond his last game in Sydney, I have been thinking it most of the season. I think he is an upgrade on Tokoto but think given we are settling with 2 imports, we could have found someone better? Maybe im being too greedy I dont know.

Reply #721046 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Rightly or wrongly Perth went for somebody with supposedly more of an outside game. Personally, watching games unfold, I think they went the wrong way (although in a perfect world you'd have both.)
And unfortunately White just isn't that good. He looks good when he attacks the basket, but doesn't do it anywhere near enough for a SF. And otherwise his shooting is shit. People look at his points tally and applaud, without considering how expensive he is. Plus, he doesn't step up when needed, and he's unreliable when the game is on the line.

It's all very well to joke about his passive demeanour, but sometimes you need somebody to get fired up and apply some pressure.

Given how ell they have started, and what they have invested in this season, I can't see the Wildcats being content.

I don't see a 3rd import happening unless somebody cops a serious import. In retrospect I would love to have seen Vague playing as the DP, and a 3rd import into the mix, but that horse has bolted. Even if they retired somebody, they'd only be able to get a cheap import, and that's not going to fix the White issue.

Reply #721052 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Exactly right AD, that is why id much rather see them replace White with a better fit (shooting is still a must for the Cats).

Reply #721056 | Report this post

Qrious  
Years ago

"People look at his points tally and applaud, without considering how expensive he is."

Most people probably don't know how expensive he is so they can't consider it. Me included.
How expensive is he?

Reply #721059 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I see the negative points about White, I've thought them myself at times too. Sometimes I think, "tokoto would have contested that shot" etc. As long as Cotton is around I'm happy, his peripheral stats aren't great, but we wanted a scorer and that's what we needed as the other players do the other stuff, so don't see the point stressing about that. Tokoto did all that stuff, but couldn't score when we needed it. White has done that for us a number of times now, and yes the mid range is not high % but if he's not hitting the 3 ball then I'm happy with him creating siace to get that shit.

Reply #721067 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

*shot

Reply #721068 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

You were right the first time.

I guess really my gripe with White is that he is unreliable.
On average, he's good. Scores well and at a decent clip.
But when he's off, he's shit. And worse he keeps shooting the same shit

Reply #721077 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I read "expensive" to refer to his stats. This game he was 7 of 24 @ 29% from the field incl 2 of 11 from 3, in 37 mins. Like you, I have no idea how many $$$'s that is.

Reply #721098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754