Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Aus vs The World Allstars

Watching NBL Overtime, which is brilliant might I add, and they were talking about whether or not to bring back the Allstar game.

I have a few ideas:

1 North vs South
2 Anzacs vs The World
3 Aus vs The World
4 3 game series - Aust vs NZ vs The World

Thoughts?

The World team would like pretty good:
Randle
Cotton
Ware
Trimble
White
Boone
Patterson
Wiley
Newbill
Long
Conklin
Bowen

ANZACS could be:
Gliddon
Te Rangi
Kay
Brandt
Hodgson
Sobey
McCarron
Johnson
Bogut
Abercrombie
Webster

Who knows where to put Wesley!!!

Topic #44413 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Think they do need to bring this back, like you said, would be awesome to see some of those imports playing together. Could even just use it as another Boomers tune up game playing against an import all-star team. I think it's been gone for long enough that it can be made enjoyable again.

Reply #720569 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Could even have some sort of celebrity or former players game before the main all-star game. Chuck a few of the commentators in too, Heal vs Homicide. If they do it right, they could make it pretty fun.

Reply #720570 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL vs. Perthworld.

Since we're so good and everything is about us.

Reply #720571 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Would Spuddee be in the Australian team?
Or the world team because he's so awesome?

Or maybe the Aussie team could play some games against some third world muppets. Oh wait..

I wouldn't mind seeing an NBL Allstars team (ie mostly imports) play something against a team from the USA. Either an NBA team, or a G-League Allstars team. Not sure when or how.

Maybe the next time we have a "FIBA window" would be a good time to do something with the imports?

Problem is I don't see any rational basis for a game within the NBL. EvW or NvS doesn't really mean anything.
Too many high quality imports now to make that work.

One option, assuming you could make the logistics work, would be to have the Champion team play an exhibition game against the "best of the rest". But would there be any interest in such a post-season game?

Reply #720583 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I would love to see something along these lines come to fruition but I can't see any of the clubs signing off on it unfortunately! A State of Origin concept could be good fun with a round robin based in Melbourne to utilize the MGA, MA and RLA precinct over the FIBA window weekend from Thursday through Monday night with a showcase day (Saturday or Sunday afternoon) consisting of a dunk comp, 3 point shootout, skills challenge, celebrity game etc.

Reply #720588 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Top 20 players, 2 captains who look to be leading MVP race, Cotton and Randle/Bogut? Let them pick out of 18 players left:

Gliddon
Kay
Bogut
Sobey
Ware
Trimble
Newbill
Boone
Long
Wesley
Blanchfield
Kennedy
Johnson
Conklin
Patterson
Terrico
Wiley
Norton

Left out: Cadee (Norton has easily been better than him all year only here for the butt hurt followeres), Goulding (feels like he has to be in there, who do you take out, maybe Terrico), Webster/Richard (both alternate good games, no consistency compared to named players), Conger (prob not enough games to this point), Bairstow (good, but would not replace any other bigs with him).

Could be good for the players to interact with each other and reduce some argey bargey (do like the arge and barge though).

Reply #720589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Froling?

Reply #720593 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Where is Froling?"

He's got better things to do than play in this "I'm not NBA quality" all-star game.

Reply #720596 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I posted the following in the Travis Trice thread but is relenent here.

"The U.S. — with a roster made up of G-League players ", from above. ("above" refers to prev post on TT thread)

1st thought on reading this was that we play our qualifcation matches with avail NBL guys while the USA do same with their G-League. Is it fair to think that our NBL roughly equivelant to G-League? Just mean in playing standards.

Subsequent thought. All Stars NBL v All Stars G-League.

Subsequent thought 2. (do above) when we get to send all of our teams over for their pre-season. That way, all our players are already their etc. Be great to beam that back to Oz. What say you Larry?

Subs th.. 3. Next year would be perfect, Larry. Just months before the big boys play here 'fore the World Champs (couldn't bring myself to call it "the WC"!).

Reply #720600 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

relenent should (obviously) be relevent.

Reply #720602 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I can't take any list here without Moller on it seriously.

The guy should be the first pick in this sort of thing. Easily.

Reply #720604 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Has anyone ever cared about the NBL All-Star game? They've tried to bring it back a couple of times now and it's never gone anywhere. Interest in the NBA All-Star game is at an all-time low. I just don't see the point.

Reply #720606 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Don't like the idea of playing a G League team, half our NBL players would miss out on this event and I'm not interested in seeing guys I have no idea about who are in the G League.

Reply #720610 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth vs. rest of the NBL. Imagine the frenzy on here. I'm self-declaring this matchup idea as the winner. *looks at it again* "That's hot!"

Reply #720613 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Imports v Anzac would be lopsided.
North v South also not that interesting.

Reply #720615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with twenty four, Moller in the 3 or 4, Barlow for mine as well.

Reply #720616 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

State of Origin tournament could be fun.

WA vs SA
QLD vs NSW
NZ vs the rest (NT, Tasmania, ACT)

How would the squads look? Perhaps include imports from the respective clubs in that state. Could maybe even utilise some of the State League players to fill out squads.

Reply #720624 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

SoO only works in NRL becuase its such a huge rivalry, between Only Two teams, and really does contain the all stars.

It nolonger works in AFL

It certainly wouldn't work in Basketball.

"Don't like the idea of playing a G League team, half our NBL players would miss out on this event and I'm not interested in seeing guys I have no idea about who are in the G League."

The problem is that the game has to "mean" something.
Nothing is perfect, but at least playing a foreign team for status and bragging rights would generate some interest.
Plus it would actually be an opportunity for NBL players to showcase themselves.
Putting double the players on court in some randomly assigned teams, just doeesn't do it for me.

Reply #720636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"NBL vs. Perthworld.

Since we're so good and everything is about us.

Perth vs. rest of the NBL. Imagine the frenzy on here."

You joke, but Perth would beat any combination of all-stars the league can throw at them. So would most clubs.

Reply #720679 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing NBL champs participate in a world club championship similar to the old style McDonald's cup.
Doesn't matter if NBA isn't involved it would be good to see how the NBL goes against Euro teams.

Reply #720681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rather than a celebrity match I would like to see an AFL basketball team play. I think that would be pretty entertaining with the level of basketball talent in the AFL. It would be preseason for AFL so could be seen as a good time to do it. Barring the potential for injuries it would create good exposure too.

Reply #720699 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Rather than a celebrity match I would like to see an AFL basketball team play. I think that would be pretty entertaining with the level of basketball talent in the AFL. It would be preseason for AFL so could be seen as a good time to do it. Barring the potential for injuries it would create good exposure too."

Injury is definitely the issue and no AFL club would let their players play in this. I remember when Nic Nat dunked at half time at a Wildcats game, the Eagles were not very happy about that!

Our social team almost had Michael Walters play for us a few weeks ago, pity the Dockers offices sit right above the court looking down, he knew he would've got busted, lol.

Reply #720701 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@ #679 I know. We'd thrash them and the hate would grow even more. Host it in PA to get 14K attendance. Win, win. Get it done LK.

Reply #720735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754