Anonymous
Years ago

ARC vs St Clair / The Lights

Not so long ago the Arc redevelopment was supposed to give Norwood the preeminent stadium in the city. But compared the St Clair and the upcoming Lights venue it's already looking shoddy. The debacle of 3 of its courts being too small makes it look amateur. Haven't seen the Mt Barker stadium but the Arc is already behind the above mentioned as well as Starplex. Heaven forbid Wayville and Pasadena get air conditioning, then they will just be above Port Adelaide and Marion. Another black eye for the struggling flames, may have heaps of teams but how many are going to defect to North with their juniors run so poorly.

Topic #44477 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best of luck next year Anontard repeating reception. Council built the ARC, best finger paint your concerns to them.

Increasing participation is THE barometer of success for a sport and Norwood have achieved great numbers with zero help from a dysfunctional governing body.

Reply #723097 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

OP it's very easy to work out who you are. Give it a rest.

Reply #723112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port Adelaide has one full size court but is only slightly worse than Wayville? Are you okay?

Reply #723122 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

It's great that basketball is getting community engagement - investment in jobs, community infrastructure, profile, growth, sporting / active kids / community hub is all a great recipe. Just cause one is different doesn't mean too much - they could always redo the non FIBA sized courts and put one correct size or two correct size in rather than 3. Just hope the clubs push for some nationals with these new stadiums - they offer gyms, pools + other things ideal for what any team needs. Can't only give huge support and praise to the people that have made these stadiums happen.

Reply #723203 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

sorry should read -
Can only give huge support and praise to the people that have made these stadiums happen. didn't proof read

Reply #723204 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hear hear. Positive comment.recognition to those involved. Sport growth stadium growth. Positive outcomes.

Reply #723214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know myself and many others still prefer to play on Wayville vs St Clair, all well and good to build a nice stadium but the floor is horrible. Is it that hard to put in a sprung floor? Hopefully the same floor is not being put in at Port Adelaide.

Reply #723222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with above^ floor is way too solid and slippery as anything

Reply #723227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please tell me they haven't skimped on the floor at St.Clair.

Reply #723231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the only thing they skimped on

Reply #723238 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

The St Michaels stadium being used by Eastern is brilliant. Clearly the best basketball setup to date. Not sure on the arrangements they have but really enjoyed playing there.

Reply #723240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The floors are a FIBA international standard floorboard, Gared hoops at St Clair, not sure how you skimp out on anything in a $21m facility.
St Michael's stadium used by Eastern? St Francis maybe?

Reply #723272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you looked around the place? Plenty skimped in a terribly rushed job.

Reply #723303 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Omg. 20 million dollars plus and the facilities are still not finished and someone is complaining. So you prefer the previous venue. Morons. Totally negative ungrateful useless comment. Facility is up and running massive upgrade on previous. Allows for further growth of sport engagement of youth and community centre. Get a reality check.

Reply #723373 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I had look over. No granite no marble no slate no huon pine no teak no crystal. No gold taps... seems mostly modern building materials. But what would I know.....

Reply #723377 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Yep, correction. St Francis it is.

Reply #723386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Craig, good to have you back mate.

Reply #723389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#272 FIBA standard are floors straight on concrete then?

Reply #723411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think the floors are that bad. I appreciate that with the air con on it becomes a bit more slippery but they learnt from the arc.
The arc is unusable and unsafe when the air con is on.
If people want to complain about brand new stadiums after the government put in millions for new stadiums then Adelaide doesn't deserve new stadiums. A stadium will never be perfect for everyone but getting to know the stadium is what creates a home court advantage.

Reply #724126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great there are new stadiums, but my original point is surely the research and planning should have been done to foresee problems that could occur, skimping on floors and not having correctly sized courts in million dollar facilities is amateur hour. Reminds me of The Games TV show where the Olympic 100 metre track was only 93 metres or something because they wanted an extra row of seating. Plenty of world records were going to be broken. Wouldn't be the 100 metres race but the nearly 100 metres race. Beauracrats seemed to think it was fine.

Reply #724127 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

#127 you do know the reason for the three smaller courts at the ARC right? It was not an oversight or a mistake, it was the only way it was allowed to be built. The ARC is also being run as a three court stadium on Friday night too. There are three full size courts.

You do also know that these stadiums are not being built by clubs? If you're disappointed with St Clair, that has nothing to do with Woodville. They are a tenant. If you are renting a house and one of the bedrooms is a bit small or the carpets are not to your liking, is that your fault as the tenant? Of course not.

Reply #724154 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Wait until after the Xmas break.
Port Adelaide 'Bearcats' Stadium floors will be first class, seating great, atmosphere fantastic- who needs a new stadium to call home- If only West we’re allowed to train there regularly.

Reply #724291 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

New tyres don't make an old car new. But it's a great venue nevertheless. Easily best basketball venue. As mentioned has limitations. Pity not 6 courts.

Reply #724405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hanging Round West train there more than any other club gets to train in their home stadium.

Trainings don't make money, games do. Grow a brain mate, stadiums are a business not a charity and West are just a hirer.

Reply #724415 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Thanks Anon 415
Never thought of that. Doh!
I was referring to Premier League not training at Port.
West have teams train at Port on Sunday because BSA couldn't arrange netball games in those time slots. And pay well for the privilege

Reply #724471 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Thanks Anon 415
Never thought of that. Doh!
I was referring to Premier League not training at Port.
West have teams train at Port on Sunday because BSA couldn't arrange netball games in those time slots. And pay well for the privilege

Reply #724472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754