Luuuc
Years ago

2019 WNBA Season

2019 WNBA season tips off on May 24.

Probably worth a general thread after a couple of bits of news today:

The New York Liberty have finally been sold by (MSG & Knicks owner) James Dolan. The buyer is Alibaba co-founder, Brooklyn Nets part owner, and general all around mega rich dude Joseph Tsai.
Hopefully this means their days of playing out of the tiny old shithole in northern Woop Woop are numbered.
AP sources: Nets minority owner agrees to buy WNBA's Liberty

Second piece of news is that draft day has been announced: April 10

Current draft order (first two rounds only):
1. Las Vegas
2. New York
3. Indiana
4. Chicago
5. Dallas
6. Minnesota
7. Los Angeles
8. Phoenix
9. Connecticut
10. Washington
11. Atlanta
12. Seattle
-----------
13. Phoenix
14. New York
15. Chicago
16. Minnesota
17. Dallas
18. Minnesota
19. Los Angeles
20. Minnesota
21. Connecticut
22. Dallas
23. Atlanta
24. Seattle

Topic #44667 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

surely a chance that Brondello doesnt let Smith slip through their fingers at #8

Reply #729952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't it look bad if sandy chooses smith and magbegor...

Reply #729954 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing if Liz returns to the Wings for the new season.

Reply #730034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard somewhere Minnesota could pick smith at 6.
I think magbegor will go to Mercury at 13.

Reply #730039 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

Alanna Smith really impressed me in the green and gold. She's got a lot of maturity for a young player

Reply #730042 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Interesting news that Liz looks like returning to the W, but requesting a trade to possibly LA.

https://twitter.com/RachGall/status/1087809593420394496
Quote:
BREAKING: Multiple sources have confirmed that Liz Cambage has requested a trade from the Dallas Wings. #WNBAinsidr

In a way she always wanted the lifestyle and glitz of the big city, just a shame one can't see if new Wings coach Agler can improve her attitude and game even further.

Reply #730081 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Right from the start she always said she wanted to play in LA, and she seems to be pretty good friends with Candace Parker, but this took me by surprise. She seemed to be much happier in Dallas than in Tulsa. Dallas' coach was pretty bad but a lot of players seemed to like him a lot as a person so getting rid of him might have been the final straw for Liz.

Reply #730083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parker is friends with Cambage? They seem so different.

Reply #730109 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wont matter who her coach is or who she plays for, her disgraceful attitude will always rise to the top, maturity has not changed it, in fact shes probably a lot worse, its good to have confidence as a player but arrogance...think that should be left at home.

Reply #730110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

attitude or not anyone who can score 50+ is going to get plenty of interest

Reply #730120 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anonymous
A couple of hours ago

attitude or not anyone who can score 50+ is going to get plenty of interest

and their in lies the problem!! her woeful behaviour is permitted because she can score...what does that message send out to kids

Reply #730138 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I guess the message is that if you are really good at what you do then people will pay you money to do it for them?

Between Liz's Opals commitments and her standard WNBA unreliability, combined with the WNBA CBA being renegotiated this year, it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.
Lots of talk of Maya Moore possibly wanting out of Minnesota as well.

Reply #730143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Griffin be signing anywhere this year now she is healthy?

Reply #730159 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Connecticut signed her to training camp last year but yeah, her injury put her aside for that.

Depends if she puts her hand up, I'd say there would be a fair bit of interest from teams but whether she wants to 'risk' her body since by the looks of it Tokyo is her main aim.

Reply #730242 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A recent mock draft shows that the Americans have definitely woken up to Smith now:

1. Katie Lou Samuelson, 6'3 G/F, Connecticut
2. Asia Durr, 5’10 G, Louisville
3. Teaira McCowan, 6’7 C, Mississippi State
4. Arike Ogunbowale, 5’8 G, Notre Dame
5. Kalani Brown, 6’7 C, Baylor
6. Jessica Shepard, 6’4 F, Notre Dame
7. Napheesa Collier, 6’1 F, Connecticut
8. Alanna Smith, 6’4 F, Stanford
9. Ezi Magbegor, 6’4 F/C, Australia
10. Anriel Howard, 5’11 F, Mississippi State
11. Kristine Anigwe, 6’4 F, California
12. Sophie Cunningham, 6’1 G/F, Missouri

WNBA Mock Draft Big Board 3.0

Reply #731582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magbegor should no longer be top 10. Maybe in the top 20.
Mangakahia listed on a few mocks at around 25 if she foregoes her senior season.

Reply #731585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interestingly froling is a last round sleeper.

Reply #731586 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

a year or two ago Seekamp was in discussions as a third round pick. Given her continued rise in form - would she be in the mix still ?

Reply #731591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, she would not be in the mix.
She's turning 27 in a few months.

Many, many better pgs in the U.S and in Europe.

Reply #731600 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh wow, Smith at #5 in Mechelle Voepel's latest mock draft.
Magbegor at #8, Mangakahia at #32

WNBA mock draft 2019: Predicting all three rounds

Reply #731765 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Getting three more players on WNBA teams would be great, though would Mangakahia be called onto the main roster straight away? Imagine Smith would be, and whoever to draft Ezi might like to "stash" her in the WNBL for at least another season before any decision on a call up.

Reply #731797 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think Ezi could play straight away if the right team got her (a team that already has plenty of firepower and could just leave her with clean-up duties offensively)
It's rare for a 3rd round pick to end up on a team though. On average about 21 of the 36 players drafted will play that year.

Reply #731811 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Maya Moore just announced that she will be sitting out the 2019 WNBA season

I will not be playing professional basketball this year.

My focus in 2019 will not be on professional basketball, but will instead be on the people in my family, as well as on investing my time in some ministry dreams that have been stirring in my heart for many years.

Reply #732781 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

Nicole Seekamp has just signed with the Dallas Wings. Good to see the Aussie connection there still strong with Cayla George and Assistant Coach, Erin Phillips.

No news on Liz's trade demands, or whether she might remain in Dallas.

Reply #735673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure Seekamp will suite the wnba, hopefully I'm proven wrong.

Reply #735676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

such a solid player other than that awful 'jump shot' it's a pity that never got fixed during college

Reply #735678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarty and Seekamp running the show for Dallas.
Diggins out this Season?

Reply #735679 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

Seekamp was close to a second / third round pick in a previous draft after college. So well done.

Reply #735684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Griffin be signing anywhere this year now she is healthy?

Yes

Reply #735858 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In good form. Gonna be good to watch.

Reply #735910 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Griffin signs with the Minnesota Lynx

Link

Reply #735992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell, Seekamp, Whitcomb, Allen, Griffin, George so far.
Cambage maybe...

Reply #735998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, forgot about Talbot.

Reply #735999 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Alicia Froling got a mention in the latest High Post Hoops mock draft:
WNBA Mock Draft Big Board 5.0: Filling out rounds two and three

Reply #736106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frolings worst season. Don't think so...

Reply #736108 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

WNBA.com have made a page to link all of the latest mock drafts

What They're Saying: 2019 WNBA Draft

Because Syracuse have been knocked out of the tournament, Mangakahia now has 3 days to decide whether or not to nominate for this year's draft.

Reply #739696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think they need to reverse Magbegor and Smith, Smith should be 4 Magbegor 11

certainly dont think its because Syracuse was knocked out of the tournament . Ezi didnt even play in it, shes still first round pick

Reply #739701 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ahead of the WNBA draft, some cherry-picked thoughts from media conference calls:

Q. I'd like to hear from Bill and from Derek about what their thoughts are on Alanna Smith from Stanford, and also Ezi Magbegor, who's been playing in the WNBL all year in Australia.

BILL LAIMBEER:
Smith, shooter. I pick No. 1, so she's not on our radar. I don't anticipate her going that far down to be in the mix of looking at her. As for the Australian kid, same thing. I don't have any [other] picks. All I have is the No. 1 overall pick, so I really haven't paid that much attention to her.

DEREK FISHER:
Yes, Alanna Smith is a really talented player. She's really versatile, which I think will be great for her transition into the WNBA, regardless of where she's drafted. She has a skill set that I think will fit in on any roster basically.
And Ezi Magbegor, who's a little bit younger and still developing as a player, but at 6-3, 6-4, she plays big. She has long arms and plays the game with a high activity level that I think also will work well for her as she transitions.

Q. Cheryl, you played Ezi Magbegor at the World Cup as part of USA Basketball. What did you make of her World Cup performances, and how did it affect her draft stock?

CHERYL REEVE: She's a player that's definitely younger. She didn't earn minutes in terms of the quality part of the game, if you will. It was more when her team was up by a lot. So that's hard to tell in terms of what is she capable of doing. I think Alanna Smith was really, really good, and that was a player that was playing in front of her. It's a young player that certainly has some upside. If she was not injured over in the Australian league, it probably would have helped her a little bit more in terms of raising her stock. But I think that people have a handle for her, and I think she'd be a value pick outside of the first round, and I think that's probably where you'll see her go.

Q. This is a question for Coach Fisher and maybe Coach Laimbeer if you want to weigh in. There is a lot of chatter that Liz Cambage wants to go to Los Angeles but also that Las Vegas wanted to trade for her. Obviously we don't know how that all stands right now, but from both of your standpoints, has the uncertainty about where she might play or if she's going to play this season impacted what you guys do with your draft?

DEREK FISHER:
I'll go first since I'm the younger and way less experienced guy here, and then Bill can follow up. For me, it's easy because of [this being] my first year and being the head coach only and not really having the responsibilities in terms of roster, draft, trade conversations, et cetera. Bill will be talking more to Penny [Toler], and Penny will be talking more to [the] Dallas [Wings], et cetera. So for me, I'm more focused on the players we do have and preparing our season in that regard. In terms of planning for Liz playing or not, yes, because if she's in Dallas, you have to plan accordingly to play against her. In terms of her possibly being on our roster at some point, I can't really comment on -- it's more of, like I said, Bill may have more insight because of his role there in Las Vegas and being involved in those conversations.

BILL LAIMBEER:
This is interesting. Lots of rumors. We got thrown in the rumor mix about Liz. The media likes to pump up big stories. There are a million rumors that are out there, from tampering to all kinds of stuff. It's a weird scenario going on right now that I don't think anybody really has a handle on what the final outcome is going to be.

Q. I was going to ask about a couple of Bay Area players, Cal's Kristine Anigwe and Stanford's Alanna Smith. LaChina, I know you spent some time with Cal. What were your impressions of Kristine? And Kara, if you don't mind talking about Alanna Smith.

KARA LAWSON: Smith is a perfect fit for the pro style game. She's somebody that has good height. She's somebody that can really shoot it. A lot of times we talk about post players shooting it, and it's a small part of their game. She's made over 80 threes this year. That's incredible. Shooting it at a 40 percent clip. She can rebound at a high level. She can block shots. She can handle the ball. So I think she's very well-suited for the next level.
I would be surprised if she didn't go in the first round because of what she brings. She brings great toughness. I think she's going to fit because she's comfortable in any spot on the floor. She's comfortable on the perimeter. When I say any spot, I mean placement of spot, not necessarily any position with the ball in her hands, and she can hurt you with the ball in her hands in different positions. The other thing I think that she does well is she can blend with different types of players. That should make her attractive to any style because she can fit with most teams' styles in this league. I like her a lot. I think she made a good jump this year having to be a go-to player and really thriving in that role.

Reply #740295 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #742280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows where Cambage is going...

Reply #742283 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Rhymes with los angeles ...on the weekly...

Reply #742291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if she said she was going to LA and had signed a contract with LA and had tickets to LA booked and had her suitcases were packed and she was in a taxi to the airport there is still no guarantee that she would actually go to LA

Reply #742293 | Report this post

Marty  
Years ago

With the 2019 season just around the corner, does anyone know what team Liz would be playing for?
Initially all the noise was about LA, but that door looked closed. Could a return to Dallas be on the cards, or a no-show at all?

Reply #743309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say a no show since she hasn't been in camp for 2 days in Dallas.

Reply #743310 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Handy first pre-season game for Alanna Smith this morning. Shots weren't dropping but the rest of her numbers look good:
25 min, 5 pts (1/6 2P, 1/4 3P), 7 reb, 5 ast, 3 stl, 3 blk, 1 t/o.

Reply #743699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other rookie played good too. Cunningham.

Reply #743701 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Las Vegas Aces Trade For All-Star Center Liz Cambage

https://www.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-aces-trade-for-all-star-center-liz-cambage/

Reply #744298 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Phoenix have traded Steph Talbot to Minnesota for a 2nd round draft pick.
Dallas have cut Cayla George & Nicole Seekamp

Reply #744823 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Erin Phillips is still there but it almost looks as though Dallas have had a gutfull of Aussies.

Reply #745026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George and Seekamp are not wnba level so no surprise.

Reply #745028 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell was the final cut from Phoenix today to finalise their roster.
Her & Talbot were purely victims of the salary cap, and I'd be very surprised if Leilani wasn't snapped up quickly off the waiver wire.

I don't think the door is closed on Seekamp's WNBA career.

Reply #745067 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The 2019 WNBA season is upon us, and it's an Australian who has created the biggest storyline of the off-season. Flipping the league on its head was Liz Cambage who was granted a trade away from the Dallas Wings, heading to Las Vegas and instantly turning the Aces into a championship contender.

Aussies In The WNBA: 2019 Season Preview

Reply #745089 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Hey all first round is on us so good to have the women back.

Just wondering who all the players are with WNBL/Aus connections that were on a team this year and made a list, anyone care to double-check and see who've I've missed?
https://www.slamonline.com/wnba/wnba-opening-night-rosters-set-2019-season/

Atlanta Dream
Nia Coffey (Adelaide '19)

Chicago Sky
none

Connecticut Sun
Courtney Williams (Perth '18)
Rachel Banham (Bendigo '18)

Dallas Wings
waived - Nicole Seekamp* (Adelaide '19)
waived - Cayla George* (Townsville/Melbourne '19)

Indiana Fever
Betnijah Laney (Bendigo/Dandenong '19)
waived - Asia Taylor (Sydney/Perth '19)
waived - Kayla Alexander (Adelaide '19)

Los Angeles Sparks
Sydney Wiese (Townsville '18)

Los Vegas Aces
Liz Cambage* (Melbourne '18)
LTI - Lindsay Allen (Melbourne '18)
waived - Ruth Hamblin (Adelaide '19)

Minnesota Lynx
Stephanie Talbot* (Melbourne '19)
LTI - Kelsey Griffin* (Bendigo/Canberra '19)

New York Liberty
Rebecca Allen* (Melbourne/SEQ '16)
Kia Nurse (Canberra '19)
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe (Bendigo '17)

Phoenix Mercury
Alanna Smith* (College '19)
Brianna Turner (Adelaide '20)
waived - Leilani Mitchell* (Sydney/Canberra '19)

Seattle Storm
Sami Whitcomb* (Perth '18)

Washington Mystics
Ariel Atkins (Perth '20)

Reply #745273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does wiese keep making the team?

Reply #745274 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Waves2Lynx - there's also:
- Alana Beard (LA) played a season for the Capitals
- Natasha Cloud (Washington) - Fire
- Carolyn Swords (Vegas) - Flames

Reply #745356 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Thanks Luuuc! I remember Cloud, thought her name was familiar. Hadn't heard of Swords and Beard was long before my WNBL time, that t'was a coup if even just an injury replacement.

Reply #745490 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not related to the 2019 season but a fun throwback

Reply #745638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith needs a ball handling coach when she gets home. Needs to spend alot of time with burnette or someone.
Without significant improvement in that area of her game, she'll struggle in the wnba.

Reply #745939 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Needs to stop reaching for every hint of a potential block or steal she can see, too. Got away with it a lot in college but her opponents are much bigger, faster and better now.

Reply #745940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True luuuuc, a couple of early avoidable fouls.

Reply #745941 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Very sad to see picked in Opals in front of Kelsey Griffin

Reply #745955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin is injured and Whitcomb is needed more.
Cole, Garrick and kunek are aiming for 3x3 in Tokyo hence why they are not on the list.

Reply #745957 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice Bec Allen video interview:
(the full length one is about halfway down the page)

'There's Not Enough Teams’: Rebecca Allen On State Of WNBA & New York Liberty

Reply #746582 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

https://www.wnba.com/video/leilani-mitchell-with-22-points-vs-los-angeles-sparks/

Reply #748348 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz Cambage today revived the tradition of Australia's best player trying to pull out the hair of an LA Sparks centre. Liz needs to improve her technique though because (1) no hair was successfully removed, and (2) she was busted and copped a flagrant foul for the attempt.

Reply #748607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No control over her emotions, very scary type of a person.

Reply #748608 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Meanwhile Leilani with 18 points (incl. 4/4 3PT), 11 assists & 5 boards tonight. And some people here think she's past being able to play for the Opals??
Not so good from an aussie perspective is Smith not even seeing the court until garbage time. It's been a steep learning curve for her this season.

Reply #748660 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They've both appeared in the pages of SLAM before—dating back to when they were teenagers. Since then, they’ve gone from prodigies to two of the most dominant forces in women’s basketball. Now, they’re about to become just the third and fourth women to grace the cover of SLAM. Cambage and Wilson are not taking the moment for granted.

Cover Story

Video

Reply #750904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc, you think opals will be?

Mitchell / Ebzery
Talbot / Nicholson / Wallace
Allen / Ohea
George / Smith / Magbegor
Cambage / Tolo

Reserves
PG-Lavey or Mangakahia
SG-Whitcomb* or Seekamp
SF-Blicavs
PF-Griffin* or Aokuso
C-Bunton

Maybe Cole they fail to qualify 3x3.

Reply #751027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good season for Blicavs could push out one of smith or magbegor, same with Aokuso.

Whitcomb and Talbot having pretty good battle atm.

Reply #751029 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

35 minutes for Sami - 5 triples and 8 assists. No Stewie, no Bird, no Loyd, and they still get a road win. Howard playing like an MVP.

Talbot is having a pretty good month. Just needs to slightly dial back on some of the shots/moves she attempts but being a starter is agreeing with her.

Reply #751039 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Luuuc, you think opals will be?

Mitchell / Ebzery
Talbot / Nicholson / Wallace
Allen / Ohea
George / Smith / Magbegor
Cambage / Tolo

Reserves
PG-Lavey or Mangakahia
SG-Whitcomb* or Seekamp
SF-Blicavs
PF-Griffin* or Aokuso
C-Bunton

Maybe Cole they fail to qualify 3x3.

This is probably best for a different thread, but anyway...
I don't think Wallace can be considered until she has some high level basketball under her belt, but otherwise that looks like a pretty reasonable starting point to me.

It's great to have players like Mangakahia, Seekamp, Nicholson & Aokuso pushing hard for spots over some of the 2018 World Cup players. Plus of course Tolo now being healthy. At most positions it's tough to pick who to leave out, which is ideal. The 4 spot is my main worry - that is still wide open IMO, so I'd have to include Abby Bishop as a chance there too.
I don't know that George is a great fit as a 4 in the Asia region, but on the other hand I suspect Sandy will always give preference to someone who has been there before.

Reply #751041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No matter what happens with 3x3 Cole is very doubtful to make any Opals team, as Sandy cut her after the first camp.

Reply #751104 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Career high for Bec Allen today with 21 points in 17 minutes off the bench, along with 4 assists & 4 blocks (a couple of big ones among them)

Reply #754812 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bec Allen again on fire.
She just had a 20 point 2nd quarter to drag NY back into the game v Minnesota.

Reply #755799 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #764378 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Congrats to the Washington Mystics - 2019 WNBA champs with a 3-2 series win over the Connecticut Sun

Emma Meesseman named Finals MVP, and fully deserved it. So clutch.

Now Ariel Atkins needs to get her butt down here ASAP so she can start tearing this league up.

Reply #767224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they did it with 2 mobile forwards with no legit centre.

Reply #767225 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754