Wendy Byrd
Years ago

Wright: Wiley as a dunker is up there with JC

Coach Wright has said that Wiley reminds him of James Crawford. Huge compliment, do you think he is that good?

---------

"He (Wiley) is up there with the best," Wright said.

"I think if you go back to Crawford, him and Crawford remind me of each other.

"Jacob will end up being like Crawford.

"I saw him (Crawford) dunk in jeans when he was 55.

"I bet you Jacob will be dunking till he's 60.

"Those two are the best I've seen in my time here (in Australia)."

Topic #44675 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiley and "the best" does not go together

Reply #730257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an insult to Crawford and people like Trimmingham

Reply #730258 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Alabama slammer please some respect.

Reply #730259 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A misquote from the OP, Wright was asked how Wiley ranks as a dunker and he provided the above response which is fair enough. Had Wiley played during the NBL's semi pro days he would have been pulling rims down like nobody's business!

Reply #730262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

*By misquote I mean quoted without proper context

Reply #730263 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Wiley has provided some of the best dunking displays so far in less than one season. If he sticks around he'll be in the mix (if he isn't all ready). He's doing it on some pretty big, athletic blokes as well.

Reply #730267 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

A misquote from the OP, Wright was asked how Wiley ranks as a dunker and he provided the above response which is fair enough. Had Wiley played during the NBL's semi pro days he would have been pulling rims down like nobody's business!
Yeah I was gonna say, as an athlete he might be comparable but to suggest he's anywhere near the player Crawford was is an absurdity.

That said, if he'd been playing in the semi-pro days he'd have less time, money, and know-how to put into his body, so he likely wouldn't be the athlete he currently is.

Reply #730270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's more like MC. Michael Carrera.

Reply #730271 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Improved the topic title. If he was as good a player, I think he'd be getting more minutes!

Reply #730285 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's a better dunker than Crawford but obviously not a better player.

Reply #730287 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously on a whole different level but is a similar discussion to who is the GOAT...

It is near impossible to compare players from totally different eras.

If you could put modern day Wiley directly into the era that Crawford played, Wiley would be a far superior player with his athletic ability and skillset.

Players back then didn't have the same level of professionalism in training etc

Reply #730291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how you said it was impossible to compare players of different eras, then made a comparison of players from different eras.

Reply #730293 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

whatever buddy, how about you input to conversation rather than critique posts...

point being there is so much difference in the game now that comparing players is near on impossible.

Reply #730295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a more than very useful player imo as well.

Reply #730298 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I agree it is impossible to compare players across eras. The rules are different enough to impact the way the game is played and how players are developed. So if Wiley played, say during 1995- he wouldn't be that good although he is an excellent athlete.. same goes for Crawford if he played today as he would be dealing with a lot more size and shooting/ ball handling bigs in the modern game.

As a dunker- Crawford definitely has him on this one I believe. I have never seen anyone on these shores who can elevate as quickly or high (at that size). Crawford used to wait until the opposition left the ground and them would be wel above them on their shot release, that’s pretty amazing regardless of any era.

Reply #730301 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I reckon he's going to develop as a player.

As for who he's dunking on it's like comparing Borner to Bogut.

Reply #730303 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

JC's "problem" was that dunking was so effortless for him, and he rarely put any extra mustard on them to make them look more impressive, nor did he have any interest in using them to show up an opponent or to fire himself up. For him they were pretty much just a very-high-percentage FGA.

Reply #730305 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its a pity Crawford isn't playing in the current era. Semi pro era or not i would have enjoyed seeing him elevating and dunking over Bogut

Reply #730306 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Couple of things.

Firstly, I have to agree with Luuuc (Luuuc, you could abreviate your name with a "w" instead of 2 of the "u"'s you use currently. Luuuc could become Lwuc or Luwc!). Crawford was oustanding in the frequency and ease of his dunks. Did it in traffic more often than not from memory. But not flash. Wiley is certainly flash but more opportunistic than "this is what I do (all the time)". More like "look what III can do (sometimes)!". Wiley great to watch, but Crawford in my team over him, that is, if they were both the same age at the same time with same set of skills.

In both cases, please accept that I am allowing for Wiley, playing "then", may not have developed some of the flash he now displays. Similarly, Crawford may have been flashier than he was in his time/environs if he was playing now (right age etc).

Secondly, I love the English language and I am pedantic as hell.
When I read the following, "Had Wiley played during the NBL's semi pro days he would have been pulling rims down like nobody's business!", couldn't help thinking that at that time, Wiley was around 25 to 30 years younger than now. I just don't see toddlers or unborns-yet "pulling rims down like nobody's business!". Can you?

Reply #730318 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yes it's true that Crawford didn’t play as often as ex NBA guys. I do remember him going over and dunking on Winston Crite who was a fringe NBA player and about the closest we had to former NBA guys in those says. And Crite was a great athlete. Later on Branch and McClain came who had those credentials also

Reply #730319 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ooh I missed this earlier.

If you could put modern day Wiley directly into the era that Crawford played, Wiley would be a far superior player with his athletic ability and skillset.

Fkn LOL!!

Reply #730324 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

McClain was what 6 foot 6"? Was he a shot blocker? We now have Bogut, Boone, Long and co.

Reply #730326 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

BBL and co merely step ladders

Reply #730332 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This one is so laughable I'm not sure if I'm being trolled or not.

There are so many ways JC is better than Wiley there just isn't enough time.

Let's just take blocked shots. JC is #2 all time behind Dwight. Wiley is currently 14th in the league behind defensive juggernauts like Tai Wesley, Rob Loe, Nanna Egwu and Daniel Johnson.

Reply #730333 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Back in the 48 minute period he played in Crawford would have been on court for a good portion of the game. He also played for 2 decades. Wiley has played a portion of one season and shares the minutes much more in a 40 minute game. He isn't playing much at Center like Crawford did a lot either. Then there's the oposition they play against and the size of those guys. So don't know if blocked shots are a good comparison for the two players.

Reply #730335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crawford was a prolific dunker. Wiley is an excellent dunker for sure and judging by his own reactions after every dunk the quality of each one is outstanding. We should just leave it at that to avoid unnecessary embarrassment to anyone.

Reply #730337 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

48 minute period

Give Wiley a 20% free boost to stats and there is still daylight between those two. Not just any daylight, LV level daylight.

Then there's the oposition they play against and the size of those guys.

JC is only 3cm taller than Wiley and had to contend with the likes of Uthoff, Dorge, Bradtke, and Rees, but also was able to guard smaller quicker forwards like Fisher, Bolden, and Mark Davis as well.

Also JC did not spend all his time at the 5. Jeff Allen was the 5 in their first Champsionship, he also shared the 5 with the likes of Pinder and Kuiper

Reply #730342 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Wiley is not one tenth of the player JC was.

As for dunkers. Man people have short memories. Joe Hurst, Calvin Talford, Trimmingham, Mario Donaldson, Emery Atkinson, Bennett Davison, Leroy Combs, James Ennis. That's without really trying. All better dunkers.

Reply #730353 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

How about Prather's dunk on Ogilvy. I'm pretty sure that dunk broke AJ.

Reply #730358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's still picking Prather's nut hair out of his mouth

Reply #730360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the NBL and their teeny-bopper fans think that doing a wild celebration after a dunk is what its all about. Last year's top ten were generally weak dunks, with chest thumping, and some american knob rhyming "two" with "do" and then "too". Genius!

Reply #730362 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

As for dunkers. Man people have short memories. Joe Hurst, Calvin Talford, Trimmingham, Mario Donaldson, Emery Atkinson, Bennett Davison, Leroy Combs, James Ennis. That's without really trying. All better dunkers.
James Smith.

Reply #730364 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Bret Rainbow.

Reply #730365 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Be nice to see a compilation of these players dunks. Someone want to have a crack? Wiley definately would have some awesome clips in his short career so far.

Reply #730366 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Trimmingham probably has 10 dunks way better than any of Wileys.

Reply #730369 | Report this post

The Oracle  
Years ago

Why's everyone gotta hate?
Who gives a fuck. Let’s embrace every star in their own way.

I want guys like Wiley in the NBL. Couldn’t care less if he dunked like J.C or Trimmingham.

Wiley creates highlights ( hope he has a few tonight ) and gives the NBL exposure.

This forum is full of tossers shooting everything and anyone down.

Here’s a tip for all you haters:
Embrace positivity and positive outcomes will come your way then maybe you wouldn’t be so bitter and shitcan everything.

#lifesnotthatbad

Reply #730370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hating started when someone disrespected an NBL legend.
If some noob says something ignorant they shouldn't cry when they get corrected, they should be thankful for the lesson.

Reply #730376 | Report this post

dribbler  
Years ago

Love Wiley but he's got nothing on JC. Crawfords head was near the rim on every dunk and it was normally off one or two steps!!!

Reply #730391 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Has Wiley really dunked over the top of anyone yet?

Reply #730392 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Pffffttt.... If your talking about dunkers Billy Fikes was your man. Savage...

Reply #730394 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

JC was just a phenomenal athlete. His standing jump was incredible.
People forget that he was only 6'9, but routinely outplayed much taller Centres.
Despite playing till he was almost 40 (not counting his last game for Canberra) he maintained an average of over 22 points. (Albeit in the 48 minute era.)

Reply #730403 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Copeland early exponent of the alley oop. And DiVencenzi, short time only but nasty dunker! Think he flexed a bit, too.

But some of the guards, mentioned above, were outstanding. Loved Smith.

Reply #730415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calvin Talford, highest vertical leap the nbl has ever seen

Reply #730416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I stood next to JC once. He wouldn't have been a lick over 6 7.

Reply #730419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The kite!

Reply #730429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it time that we just stopped taking the great man seriously.

Incredibly self serving and has so far under achieved at the Sixers. Not looking like a championship winner again this year.

Win something great man, then share your wisdom.

Reply #730433 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Didn't Andrew Gaze perform the greatest dunk ever seen in the NBL, over Cecil Exum?

Threw it down so hard it resulted in legal threats years later.

Reply #730459 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Youtube search, Damian Martin dunk. If he did that today, all of Australia would be on their feet!

Reply #730484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Didn't Andrew Gaze perform the greatest dunk ever seen in the NBL, over Cecil Exum?

Threw it down so hard it resulted in legal threats years later."

Get your F**ken facts straight!

Reply #730487 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Surely the most iconic dunk is Gaze over "Insert NBA Players Father Name"

Reply #730492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a big crawford fan and I think Wiley is awesome. Would love him over at the cats next year.

Reply #730517 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

JC significantly shorter than 6'9". -- 6'7" was about right - in shoes.

Reply #730519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiley, in the city where JC did his best work, did not live up to the comparison. Very solid player, but not in JC's class

Reply #730789 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754