Anonymous
Years ago

Reason for playing in Canberra?

Was it financial incentive? i.e. contribution by the Government? (I would be surprised if the Government was interested in bringing NBL games to Canberra) or was it a marketing exercise with an eye on expansion (again, I would be surprised if this were the case since Canberra is somewhat of a graveyard for sporting franchises).

Or are crowds that bad in Illawarra that this is better financially in terms of ticket sales? Seemed to be a decent crowd/atmosphere in there.

Topic #44694 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

$125K initiative according to ACT government. Clinics etc. included.

Reply #730947 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Very handy payday. Well worth it

Reply #730957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully use it to get a decent replacement for Jackson next year. Conklin too

Reply #730984 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

You'd only get like for like for that amount...

Or maybe minor upgrades.

Reply #731006 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Here's a Gide to NBL average salaries:

" The average NBL salary is now $AUD152,000, a league
spokesperson told foxsports.com.au; with an average of $AUD122,000 for local players." - Fox Sports, 20 October 2018

Those numbers point to an average import salary around $220,000.

Reply #731011 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

More like imports $300k & Top Aussies $150k rest $80-90k.

Reply #731017 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Interesting Peter John. Do you have the link to the full article handy?

Reply #731122 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PeterJohn

The sample sizes (for imports especially) are too small to be interpreted and dissected with any great confidence. There are some outliers (Cotton, Randle, Patterson, Boone, Ware) who would be on really good coin, as well as outliers (Jett, Deleon, Conklin, A Moore, Turner) on minimal coin. Australian outliers (Goulding, Bogut, Bairstow, Kay, Sobey?) and (Doyle, Teys, White, Majok) would also skew both ends of the averages. There would also be surprise pay packets both ways ("he's not worth half that", and “great value for that price”). Also, what price Bogut with his share deal?

If you knew a few individual salaries over a range of both imports and locals, you could probably extrapolate salary ranges for categories such as:
stud import, solid import, budget third import; and
elite local/ marquee local, top 6 local, role playing local, young future development local (but not an official DP), benchi local (5 min or less court time barring injuries or blowouts).
Obviously, some players would be on contracts that don’t reflect their current range (eg a veteran on a multi-year deal whose contributions have declined faster than expected, and players who just go to another level in a season.

Personally I’m against naming individual’s salaries, but I’d appreciate it if the NBL would publish that sort of guide to salary ranges. I think we’d work out that some teams really overachieve considering their players’ likely salary ranges.

Reply #731155 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754