Years ago

NBL breaks attendance record

Total attendance up by 4%

Average attendance of 6,378.

Pretty impressive average attendance when you consider where it was

Topic #44857 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Figure i'd be interested to know - but in no doubt wouldn't be released, 1) how many paid tickets and 2) Total revenue figure from crowds

Reply #735080 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they're using the same method year by year, the method itself doesn't matter as much.

Reply #735086 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

You would have to think this figure increases again next year with the introduction of SE Melbourne.

I think the next longer term goal should that all clubs are averaging 5,000 to a game. Obviously this isn't possible for Wollongong sadly, not that they look like getting close anyway.

Reply #735090 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Been said many times, but lots of respect for Cairns in particular for continuing to show up and cheer on their bottom-placed Taipans. Good to see healthier looking Hawks crowds too, and an increase in Hawks fans travelling up the Princes Highway when the Kings host the Hawks. Still not as many as in the "good old days", but a noticable improvement from the last couple of years.

Reply #735091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very encouraging for the league, a massive job by LK and his team despite all the negative losers complaining about all things.

Reply #735098 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Great result, especially considering the concerns some of us had about mid afternoon games and the lack of Saturday evening games.

4% indicates an increase of about 250, or a total of about 28,000 additional seats filled at games. How much of that would have been increases in attendances at games involving Sydney? Those games seemed to get some pretty good crowd numbers, from what folks have posted through the season.

Reply #735104 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yeah Hawks and Bullets crowds both marginally increased a bit I believe, much of that can be credited to the two Bogut games. Breakers might have been down slightly due to the regional games, overall good to see no teams' crowds falling off a cliff.

Reply #735105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point about the Saturday afternoon timeslots, which would have been a drag on attendance. I think Perth was down by about 2,000 for each of their Saturday Arvo games? Hopefully more night fixtures next year.

Reply #735106 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Be interesting to break it down and see if there was a clear reason the numbers are up. Boguts arrival ? Sydney & Brisbane's improvement ? Did the regional games hurt the numbers a little ? Would a move back to Saturday nights lift the numbers again next year ?

Reply #735114 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Cairns attract a good crowd because else where in cairns is dangerous. Czirns has crime like you wouldn't believe. A cairns game is a safe haven for 3 hours.

Reply #735115 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, I believe Cairns is ranked just behind Los Cabos and Caracas for 3rd most dangerous city in the world.

Reply #735226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds numbers are ready a meh thing. I can assure you and I have assisted in deciding crowd numbers over the years in various basketball centres including the NBL.

Venue says "4356"

NBL team says "5118" Thats exactly how it works.
So a 4% increase on what really is a fictitious number is a meh thing.
It then becomes the official published figure and then it's true.

Reply #735231 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Is 4% a good result? I honestly don't know.

I'd love to see the breakdown by club. Obviously Perth doesn't have much more room for growth, and may have lost a bit with the crap scheduling.

But surely Sydney, Brisbance, and even Melbourne should all be growing healthily?

Reply #735319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering there is so little main stream media coverage of the nbl, they are doing very nicely. If they got saturation coverage like the football codes, cricket etc who are losing attendance, it's a good achievement.

Reply #735321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754