Anonymous
Years ago

'I couldn't pay my mortgage': Cambage pushed to the limit

'I couldn't pay my mortgage': How Liz Cambage was pushed to the limit

Australian basketball star Liz Cambage has revealed her battle to make ends meet after pushing her body past breaking point for club and country last year.
In a sobering insight into the vulnerability of even Australia's top women athletes, Cambage revealed she had not earned a cent since September and could not meet her mortgage repayments after an Achilles injury prevented her from playing a lucrative season of professional basketball in China over the summer.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/i-couldn-t-pay-my-mortgage-how-liz-cambage-was-pushed-to-the-limit-20190307-p512gu.html

Topic #44935 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

*cue rational responses*

Reply #737047 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In June 2012, Cambage signed with Zheijang Chouzhou basketball club in China, reportedly for a salary of $400,000 (Australian dollars). This made her one of the highest-paid female basketballers in the world.

Where did all the moeny go? Are turntables that expensive?

Reply #737048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She didn't say she was broke, she said she couldn't pay her mortgage.

Reply #737049 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

*cue defensive people*

Reply #737051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it defensive to point out that you completely misinterpreted her quote? You're really not very smart, Perthworld.

Reply #737054 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What?

She was on a ridiculous salary in a soft league and now cries about repayments. Also skipped WNBA seasons. Someone was on cruise mode and went on interest only instead of building up equity. Oops.

Time to sell the house and downsize or rent. Not cry to the media about it.

/thread

Reply #737056 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Who are you to question her desire to earn an income?

At the moment, all sides are in a holding pattern following Cambage's decision to ask for a trade from the Dallas Wings
Cambage has, so far, refused to consider any destination other than Los Angeles.

uhh... nevermind...

WNBA agent Allison Galer now representing Liz Cambage

Reply #737057 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Cambage has made more than enough money, forget the stupid gender debate, how you manage your money is the issue. Go and watch the espn documentary "Broke".

Reply #737058 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Crying victim when you have earnt more in a contract then many will in 5 years, unlikely to receive a heap of sympathy

Reply #737061 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

POOR stuff from Cambage. If you can't make ends meet on $400k then you are not managing your finances properly.

Reply #737075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why even have a mortgage?

Reply #737077 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

So Liz went to the Antoine Walker / Shawn Kemp school of Wealth Management then?

Reply #737085 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Not much sympathy from me but this quote may suggest she recognizes the world doesn't owe anyone a living: "I haven't made any money since September, which has been interesting. It's made me value the dollar a whole lot more. Everything's a learning lesson. The universe works in mysterious ways and she's taught me a big lesson."

And this suggests Basketball Australia is helping out: "When an athlete is competing in a FIBA tournament, the insurance is provided by FIBA ... and Basketball Australia are preparing a submission to FIBA to address Liz's situation."

Reply #737093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the penny has dropped but from previous experience i doubt it. Welcome to the real world!!!

Reply #737098 | Report this post

Gazeeee  
Years ago

Yet on her Instagram she spent most of last year at resorts in Bali and Thailand , must be hard to not pay a mortgage but spends so much on holidays ?

Reply #737115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

past 6 years.

China-2012/2013
Wnba-2013
China-2013/2014
China-2015/2016
Wnbl-2017/2018
Wnba-2018
China-2018/2019

Reply #737117 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Everything's BIG about Liz, including her spending.

Does she have an entourage of groupies who need a bit of financial support too?

Reply #737119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#sob

Reply #737120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*cue the music*

Reply #737121 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yet on her Instagram she spent most of last year at resorts in Bali and Thailand , must be hard to not pay a mortgage but spends so much on holidays ?

Sell the house. Continue to live at resorts. Problem solved.

Reply #737130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt she just comment she now pays people to make her a sandwich when they make smug remarks to her on social media? (

she is a living example of why pill testing should be legal!

Reply #737132 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

In the interview her quotes show how out of touch she is. She is quoted as "only" playing in Australia and USA with contracts of $100,000. So she earns more money in 2 seasons than most earn over a couple of years. Spend,Spend, Spend. This girl will end up with a government job when she is finished. Spend what you get and then take others money to spend even more.
She mentions how tough it is for her to play and push her body to the limits. (uh duh, she plays sport). Can someone please elaborate if Cambage has only ever played basketball? Has she ever had a real job? I'm glad life is now starting to teach her some lessons. Maybe she may even get a hint as to what an amateur player goes through, as they push their body to the limit, playing with injury, while working full-time, while having to pay for medical treatment and everything. She is a real champion of the people not. Why would she would not have her own income insurance? It's not like she wasn't able to afford fortnightly payments. Shed some tears for her everyone. Poor Liz.

Reply #737267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's another Gen Y / Millenial. What do you expect?
Doesn't matter how much they earn, they still think the world owes them. They don't save a cent, then cry poverty.
The only thing that changes with Cabbage is the scale.
I worked with so many of these during the mining boom. Kids straight out of Uni were on 6 figures, and doubling that within a couple of years, yet didn't save a cent. Spent it all on clothing, travel, dining out, and cosmetics, or in the case of boys on overpriced toys. Downturn hit and they all ran crying home to mummy.

Reply #737339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is stories like this why the banking royal commission was a sham. People need to take their own responsibility to look after their finances, not to blame the banks

Reply #737353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 completely separate issues. RC was mos def not a sham.

Reply #737364 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Overspends getting them eyebrows done I reckon.

Reply #737376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #737638 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Wow, I'm a middle aged white male, I get the feeling she really hates me!

Reply #737654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is a complete joke playing the victim game.

Any regular person would love to earn $400,000, they are just smarter about managing their money and once they spend it all, they wouldn't cry to the media.

She is trash.

Reply #737666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So she paid tax? What a whiney bitch.

Reply #737670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says she loves Australia, but all she does is pour shit on us.

Just goes to show. Her genetics have given her a career, and she's not unattractive, but for all her money and success she's still an obnoxious loud-mouth.

As for all the whinges about overt racism, I tend to think she is grossly exaggerating. People like her love to latch on to the way things were 60 years ago, or even when I was a kid, but there is no way she grew up in White-Washed Australia.

Reply #737840 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ode to Liz:-
I carry your heart.
I am never without it anywhere I go, you go.
No fate-you are mu fate. No world-you are my world.
It's the wonder that's keeping the stars apart.
I carry your heart with me. I carry it in my heart.

Reply #737866 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

I don't suppose anybody wants to start a 'Fund Me' page to help the poor girl out?
What a Crock

Reply #737899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754