Jack Toft
Years ago

GF Series Game 3 Mar 15

Well, it's Friday night, so what else are you going to do except watch these teams get it right? You could be out chasing PYTs (pretty young things), but it's close to midnight and something evil's lurking from the dark, so why not switch on Fox, grab your favourite brew and watch game 3. They say, say, say you need to win, win, win in Perth to get a Championship and although Perth haven’t won in Melbourne this season, they don’t need to. Perth want their 9th flag, but Melbourne are saying to the flag, "I want you back to back"

Both teams have held their serve so far in the series and the winner of this game is likely the winner of the GF. Game 3 is the crunch game of the series. No one wants to be defeated, especially on home court. Billie Jean King was the Queen of the third set and once said “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” Basically, the message is don’t stop until you get enough. Winning championships is not as easy as ABC, it takes teamwork and skill, and a bit of off the wall thinking by coaches.

The coaches can ask their team the big questions, but it’s the man in the mirror that makes the difference. Perth fans are known for being welcoming fans. When I saw a game there with my non-Perth merch on, they told me don't you ever come around here, don't wanna see your face, you better disappear, basically they knew I was bad. People always told me be careful of what you do and that advice is good advice for a dangerous man.

Back to the game. Melbourne I think may have turned the tide a little bit and I think have a slight edge going into this game. I’m tipping Melbourne to get this one and it would make my day if Dean Vickerman moonwalked out of the stadium like a smooth criminal.

Topic #44956 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Hard to predict. Both teams have the skill and firepower to win.

I don't necessarily agree that this is the crunch game. Obviously every game is crucial, but even if Perth hold serve, I won't have any more confidence tipping them to win it all.

I will say this, there a few Perth players who need to step up, or keep walking.
I keep hearing that White is a big game player, well this is his chance to prove it. He's got to shoot better than 20% from outside, so we need a return to his game 1 touch.
Coming off a very low base, Jervis actually improved in game 2. We desperately need him to continue that upward trajectory. Pledge & Boner must be the most immobile duo in the league, bt if we keep playing small-ball they will continue to dominate.
Steindl, The Sniper, is 1 of 9 from outside this series. At that rate he might as well stay home.
Wagstaff is fast becoming the most frustrating player in the league, and he needs to get his shit together.

Perth got murdered on the boards and were hopeless from 3-point range last game. The players above can have a big part to play in turning that around.

Reply #737835 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not sure if this is the crunch game

2008 is still fresh in my mind. Series tied 1-1, I travelled to Sydney and saw Lampley hit the game winner. Tigers lead 2-1.

This so infuriated the Sydney fans that one of them assaulted a Tigers fan in the row in front of me- This not-so-inconspicuous event occurred in the background of a player interview. Live on TV.

I hope J isn't so angered if the Cats lose tomorrow night.

From the perspective of a United fan, I just want to see some fair reffing. Please don’t foul off one of our best players without him laying a finger on an opponent this time!

Anyway, that’s not the end of the story- I celebrated hard that night, only to return home and watch the Tigers drop game 4 (from memory, after having a huge lead). Tigers travelled back to Sydney and won Game 5.

These teams are both battle hardened and capable of winning on the road, just like the Tigers and Kings of 08. For United, McCarron and DJ Kennedy are the ultimate spare parts men- they contribute in many ways, and if they’re both in full flight like they were on Sunday then United should be playing for the championship on Sunday.

Reply #737836 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And, if 2008 and indeed 2018 are anything to go by, then Game 3 could be the close one.

Games 1 and 2 were reasonably one sided by the standards of NBL19. Yes, the refs had an impact but the home team was clearly playing better on both occasions.

After a week more studying their opponents and the keys to victory, I'm tipping we'll get a tight finish down the stretch this time.

Reply #737838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just want to see some fair reffing"

ROFL

This is the crunch game, just watch the Wildcats get crunched by the Refs. They are going down if Larry has to run out and ref the game himself.
Just watch how many fouls Boone and Pledger get away with in the keyway, and how many 3-second violations go un-called.
Meanwhile we can expect Chris Flopping to set a new record for fouls earned by flops.

Reply #737841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Perth Wildcats have come up with a plan to stop Melbourne United star Casper Ware during the rest of the NBL grand final series ... rough him up." Let's see how the refs cope.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/wires/aap/article-6802645/Perth-target-NBL-star-Casper-Ware.html

Reply #737842 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Was very confident on the results of game 1 and 2, but not so sure about this one. Danger game for the Cats, but lots of pressure on United if Cats do get up.

Reply #737845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have defied the odds all season so there is no reason they can't bounce back tomorrow night. A bit of recency bias is creeping in for those thinking Melbourne will get it done tomorrow.

"From the perspective of a United fan, I just want to see some fair reffing.

Translation - if Perth win, you will blame the refs, but ignore any refereeing aspect if Melbourne win.

Reply #737847 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Cotton need's to score more consistently and the three ball. It's his time now.

I'll let you know who win's when the game is finished. Perth a due for a win in Melbourne so it work's both ways.

Reply #737849 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Translation - if Perth win, you will blame the refs, but ignore any refereeing aspect if Melbourne win.]

Fail. Real bad fail there.

Refs favoured United on Sunday, I've said that many times on these forums.

But there's plenty of recent history in Perth to draw from. It goes way beyond last Friday.

Reply #737854 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm with LV - I’ll take the win if we get it, but crap reffing makes it a hollow victory. The anticipated calls and what seem to be make-up calls really piss me off and also seem to confuse the hell out of the players.

I want to see the best team win, not the luckiest.

Reply #737855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But there's plenty of recent history in Perth to draw from. It goes way beyond last Friday."

There is even more history of you blaming the refs every time your team loses.

Reply #737856 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[There is even more history of you blaming the refs every time your team loses.]

Not really, I'm a St Kilda fan! We havent played finals since 2011

And I only blame the refs when they get a super crucial call wrong (eg: Casper vs Norton which stopped United from winning in Perth earlier in the season) or when there's multiple bad calls in quick succession or impacting the one player (eg McCarron and Casper last Friday was one example, but this pretty much happens every time United plays in Perth)

The numbers are pretty clear- what were they? From memory last time they were posted, Perth has two thirds as many fouls called on them in Perth compared to away games - 14 fouls per game at home vs 21 away I think it was?

Anyway, enough about the refs. It may happen but hopefully none of United's key players are floored like last Friday

Reply #737857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ You were the one who brought the refs up!

Reply #737860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It may happen but hopefully none of United's key players are floored like last Friday"

They will be floored, its in their nature. That Jervis illegal screen where Ware flopped like a ragdoll was horrendous. You are right to be concerned.

Reply #737862 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

I'm with LV - I'll take the win if we get it, but crap reffing makes it a hollow victory. The anticipated calls and what seem to be make-up calls really piss me off and also seem to confuse the hell out of the players.

IMO, this topic has been best covered by several coaches, to the effect that biased reffing is to be expected, and the critical aspect is letting the calls affect the team's behavior. I think in Melbourne, we saw the Wildcats display frustration, and became stagnant and less aggressive in executing their plays.

Obviously the issue is exacerbated if players can't participate due to foul trouble. That said, players also have to manage the risk in committing to actions which can result in a foul or foul call. Offensive players generally get the benefit of the doubt.

Personally, I think the inconsistency and non calls are more significant than the bad calls. I think their is a fair case to be made for the majority of fouls which are called, though some calls are obviously wrong.

I agree with LV that having several biased calls/non calls in sequence is where it tends to influence the outcome, as in Q3 in game 1.

However, the teams are professionals and need to be able to cope with what everyone knows is part of the game. As fans, I sure would prefer if we could focus more on the behavior of the teams than the refs. The discussion gets old fast.

Reply #737863 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I been expecting 5 games to go with home team.

Reply #737869 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good post Jimjim! I'll stop going on about refs for now

I think the keys to the game have been well discussed by Santamaria and others- rebounding, good decision making/ limiting turnovers, and just hitting shots. And if both teams continue defending the opposition's best scorers so well and if scores remain relatively low, it'll remain a bigger than usual bonus when role players step up and drop some points.

I like the stat that United is 10-0 when Kennedy has 9 rebounds or more. He is one of those players who gets D boards and can push the ball up the court going all the way. He often gets O boards when he's attacking the rim and getting his own misses. And of course the stat is also just an indication of the extent to which bball is a possession game.

Cats have long been a team who generate 2nd chances. If you can beat them at their own game and easily win the boards, it goes a long way towards a win.

Reply #737870 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cheers for suggesting i would punch someone if my team loses, its insulting, based on absolutley no element of truth and frankly tre ding towards defamatory. However if as you suggest there is such a strong correlation between people that bitch about refs in a forum and crowd fights at games, you would think there would be more fights. Also surely you would be in most of them??

Reply #737878 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Also, lv, making that comment paints you as a rather pathetic and immature human being. Violence is not a joke, people suffer to it every day and its often a gateway for other forms of abuse. But don't let that stop you...

Reply #737879 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In 2008, both teams won on the road. Despite the majority of finals games going to the home team its not impossible for the away team to win consecutively to wrap up a series.

Lv, that is all you really needed to say. But you wrote another essay full of your fluffy "analysis"

Reply #737880 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

In 2008, both teams won on the road. Despite the majority of finals games going to the home team its not impossible for the away team to win consecutively to wrap up a series.

Lv, that is all you really needed to say. But you wrote another essay full of your fluffy "analysis"

Reply #737881 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

Good post Jimjim! I'll stop going on about refs for now

Cool, cheers!

I think the keys to the game have been well discussed by Santamaria and others- rebounding, good decision making/ limiting turnovers, and just hitting shots. And if both teams continue defending the opposition's best scorers so well and if scores remain relatively low, it'll remain a bigger than usual bonus when role players step up and drop some points.

I like the stat that United is 10-0 when Kennedy has 9 rebounds or more. He is one of those players who gets D boards and can push the ball up the court going all the way. He often gets O boards when he's attacking the rim and getting his own misses. And of course the stat is also just an indication of the extent to which bball is a possession game.

I think Williams' had valid points on the match-up issues also. IMO, Perth have a poor balance of abilities in their roster (and have had for some time).

Cotton is the only player who can create for himself off the dribble. White can to an extent, but not consistently, and wastes time late in the shot clock. White also lacks the interior game to rely on if his shots aren't falling, and Cotton lacks the physicality for a reliable driving game. Their role players either need to hit set shots or score from the post, which they haven't achieved consistently.

In contrast, Melbourne have multiple options with sound ball handling and scoring ability.

Reply #737887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get ya hand of it. Perth are easily the better team. Apart from the slump, they have been all year. Survived that and still managed to finish on top.

The reffing was definitely pro-Melbourne in both games 1 and 2. Just look at the different treatment of Jervis, Boone, and Pledger. Jervis just has to breath on somebody and he gets pinged, whereas Pledger particularly mugs anyone that comes into the paint, and rarely gets called. Add in guys like Martin getting called for completely imaginary contact, and it becomes and uphill battle.
The only difference was that in game 1 Perth were still too good, and in game 2 Melbourne didn't need the help.
Unfortunately the trend doesn't look good.

Reply #737894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think jimjim's post was a bit one-sided (spoke about Melbourne’s strengths only) but there is no way you can say Perth were the better team, especially not while suggesting we ignore the slump.

Reply #737898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all about the reffing. Their shot % from 2 point and 3 point range is crucial. If they shoot their free throws at a high clip it’s over.

Reply #737900 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I see what you did there Jack. Very nice.

Reply #737901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth finished on top, ergo they are the better team.

Factor in that awful mid-season slump, and they look even better

Reply #737906 | Report this post

Paulo  
Years ago

Looking forward to this game. History suggests the game 3 winner is in the box seat to win it all. I do believe it will come down to the unsung heroes in this one. The Mollers, The Pledgers, the Hooleys or will it be the Hires, the Wagstaffs or the Steindls who step up and get it done. Folks it will come down to this tomorrow night. The stars will do their thing. We need a point of differentiation here so keep any eye on this. In addition to this keep a close eye on United in the 3rd quarter. Tough playing your 'A'game approaching midnight. A huge advantage for PERTH.

Reply #737907 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

or The Refs

Reply #737908 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

Pledger particularly mugs anyone that comes into the paint, and rarely gets called

That's what I was referring to with inconsistency and non calls. I didn't want to go into it too much.

I think jimjim's post was a bit one-sided (spoke about Melbourne's strengths only) but there is no way you can say Perth were the better team, especially not while suggesting we ignore the slump.

Yes, my statement was one sided. I just meant to comment on one aspect of the match-ups. Didn't intend to go through a complete break down.

If Cotton is contained in this series, I think it is more difficult for the Wildcat's other players to play to their strengths, since United do a good job of defensive rotations. They provide less opportunity to take advantage of over committing to defending Cotton. Boone in particular has good foot speed for an NBL center. If no one else is a consistent threat with dribble penetration, it is much harder to create defensive mismatches or get open looks. I also see Norton as requiring his team mates to be legitimate shooting threats, as he has questionable range, and insufficient size and athleticism to finish in the paint. The defense can get away with collapsing on his drives, resulting in forced decisions.

However, if Brandt can dominate Boone in offense, and on the glass, and Kay, Wagstaff, White, and Steindl can hit shots, or Cotton hits contested threes, the rotations don't matter as much. I just think those things are unlikely without breaking down defenders with dribble penetration, and Cotton is getting worked hard.

I think Cotton has always had the opportunity to draw fouls on the help defense from players like Boone, who often arrive late with too wide a defensive stance. He could run through the illegal defensive stance and draw a foul, but seems to shy away from the contact. He did this once in this series, and got the call, but the opportunity has been there all year. Cotton has been running around the help defenders, allowing plenty of time for rotations to adjust, or making him too late to get open when cutting off the ball to catch and shoot. That could really change the influence of the defensive rotations, provided the refs could be relied on to make the call on illegal defense. Unfortunately, I think that is NBL refs worst weakness.

Reply #737912 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Should Melbourne lose tonight I wonder if any time difference references will be bought up.

Reply #737924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In between blaming the refs, yes.

Reply #737925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is basketball still going?

Reply #737934 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

All this talk about the players body clocks...but what about the fans??

It's been a long week at work. After staying up late to watch this tonight, I'll be knackered tomorrow.

Think of the fans!

Reply #737937 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Glad you spotted it Perthworld

Reply #737953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a Perth fan but even I can concede that the reffing went against them in both games 1 and 2. Some of the non-calls against Melbourne were terrible.
Conspiracy theories aside, the best I can come up with is that the refs have decided to let more things pass in the GF, in recognition that the games will be more intense and more physical. So I can only assume that Melbourne have anticipated and exploited this better.

But that said I really am tired of all the flopping by Goulding and even Ware. I don't understand why it is allowed to continue? Everybody knows that he does it, but the refs just keep rewarding it.

Even the big theatrical neck-grab by Kennedy starts to look suspicious.
At the time I was worried he had actually injured his neck. But 5 minutes later he's back on the court, with no ill effects?? How does that work? Then backs up again on Sunday.

Reply #737963 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm not a Perth fan but even I can concede that the reffing went against them in both games 1 and 2.

Against us in game 1? What the?

Reply #737966 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

What time is tipoff?

Reply #737977 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

7.35 local

Reply #737981 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I said it to my family as I took my seat last week for game 1, 'the cats need to play at 90% to win but United can get it done at 75% and that has played out so far.

Perth were switched on in game 1 but backed it off in game 2 when Melbourne ramped it up... 28 point turn around.

Steindle, Jesse, Kay and Norton need to bring it tonight, I think United are going up 2-1 unfortunately.

Reply #737982 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Was a weird game last Sunday, fatigue not a factor other than Goulding coming off the bench how is united deeper?

Barlow has played elite this season and for me is the difference in United. Clutch shot over and over.

Reply #737984 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Stop giving them open shots. Goulding had a couple, Barlow a couple, Ware a deep 3 but come on that's NBA 3 and he is NBA quality so you can't stay off him even that far out. Need to scout better and execute.

Reply #737987 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

IT'S TIME!

Reply #737988 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Aylen, Mayberry and Reid.

The creme de la creme.

Reply #737989 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Impossible not to love watching McCarron on the glass.

Reply #737990 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Gotta give bubbles some credit

He didn't fall over when he got booed coming into the court

Reply #737991 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Perthworld already making excuses?

Reply #737992 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Perthworld already making excuses?

Reply #737993 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I swear Cotton puts himself off with all the flailing on his threes

Reply #737994 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

But to be fair... The contact was only emotional... Instead of imaginary like usual

Reply #737995 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Manu tell us more about your prophecy of a Brisbane-Sydney Grand Final series.

Reply #737996 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Clint finding some form...

Will destroy melbs d if he is on tonight

Reply #737997 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahaha I can tell you're on edge tonight. Hang in there mate

Reply #737998 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

6 and 1

6- the number of fouls Mccarrons been called for in Perth

1- how many of those were actually fouls

That foul on Pledger- nothing in it

Ref difference Melbourne vs Perth showing already- neither of the Mccarron/White or Pledger/Jervis would result in free throws if this game was at Melbourne Arena

Reply #737999 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm super chilled out reading back on all the bullet train posts.

Reply #738000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton accentuates the contact but he won't be called out.

Reply #738001 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

LV your thoughts on the fouls called so far.

They have all been there. Despite the numbers not looking good for melb.

Haven't seen many missed calls. Doesn't seem uneven. Just bad d from melb

Reply #738002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turn overs 4 to 1 Melbourne, hurting them again.

Reply #738003 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha that was fun indeed. Had you on the hook for a while.

But I don't know, if there were an NRL game on atm I'd be flicking back and forth. The basketball has encroached on the footy and the latter takes precedence. Maybe there would be more hype if Buzz Train or Snake Train featured. Hard to say

Reply #738004 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth knocking Melbourne out of almost all their halfcourt sets and denying their actions, not a good sign early.

Reply #738005 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Still early Angus. They will def address that at half time.

But they are looking frazzled ATM, nothing is working for them in their front court. Everything is difficult due to good d

Reply #738006 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good thing Barlow is playing like he's 23 years old again.

Reply #738007 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Funnily enough. Cats O has been pretty poor despite poor d from melb. They are keeping melb in the game when they could have almost shut them out already due to melbs mistakes

Reply #738008 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Trev looking more homeless by the game

Reply #738009 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Trev not shaving until Cotton gets at least one 4 point play on a leg flail this series.

Reply #738010 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Wouldn't be the first time we have sent a great coach packing his bags due to disagreements with management

Reply #738011 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Angus. Our team doesn't shave in playoffs.

Haven't for about a decade

Reply #738012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish they would turn off Gleeson's microphone - he does not stop complaining.

Reply #738013 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Between that and the muttering to himself, he's all but homeless

Reply #738014 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Did you not watch vickerman in game 2?

Because EVERYONE heard him... Allllll game

Reply #738015 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Manu agreeD - the FIBA window destroyed the momentum of the season.

Reply #738018 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

How Moller didn't cop a call there is beyond me

Reply #738019 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Feels like Moller is shooting about 0/300 this series.

Reply #738020 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Because he is?

Reply #738021 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hard, tight battle here

2nd half in Perth key as usual! Hope the body clocks are set!

Ref diff still there. Morec subtle than gm 1 so far. But refs called every foul they could find on United in the early part of Q2, but lots of contact on Perth going uncalled in the 2nd half of Q2- most notably Kay clumsily smashing into Moller and sending him flying

Reply #738022 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Garlepp and Barlow are pretty much the same guy

Reply #738023 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Both stiff as a board

Reply #738024 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

LV. You are the self appointed expert of illegal screens on this server.

Explain how moller's screen on Kay was legal

Reply #738025 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Genuine question: why is the Perth Arena colour scheme blue?

Reply #738026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller can't hit 3 but 2 points are ok, his defence is great, just got shoot the three. Melbourne 3 point shooting woeful plus turnovers. Win the next 1/4 by either side probably sets up GF win. Money time.

Reply #738027 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's like they wanted to make it look like an indoor aquatic centre. Woeful choice.

Reply #738028 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's as if they*

Reply #738029 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Rac's main colour is blue. But the arena wasn't designed or built for the wildcats.. or for rac.

So it's just a design thing that it's blue. My sis was meant to be the junior architect on the project. But missed that role due to politics that I have no intention of discussing.

I bring that up only because. She would have been able to answer that question for me. But as it stands. I don't know

Reply #738030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Gleeson going to complain about Martin just flopping?

Reply #738031 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ask her. It is a baffling choice.

Reply #738032 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

How had united nit committed a foul this quarter!!!

Reply #738033 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I can't ask her. But she wasn't on the project.

I'd get the same answer if I asked you or myself

Reply #738034 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I could ask her*

Reply #738035 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah ask her. She may know someone who knows someone who knows something

Reply #738036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson can coach but boy he carries on. Refs calling one end.

Reply #738037 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah up to you

Reply #738038 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah don't know about that call there.

Reply #738039 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I meant more in terms of her professional opinion re: why the F they woukd go with that.

Reply #738040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game over.

Reply #738041 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Especially don't like the call considering DJ's drive goes unwhistled.

Reply #738042 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Kennedy falling over hoping for a gift call.

LV will no doubt point out how screwed over he got by prioritising the flop over trying to put a shot up against a stationary defender

Reply #738043 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kennedy just got fouled twice - first Kay and then Jervis. Based on this series reffing

No calls

This is why United has 12 free throw attempts per game in Melb and 23 in Perth

Reply #738044 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Do Utd not realise that the Hutchy footy dude flew all the way over to watch them.

Reply #738045 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

That was a terrible no call on Kennedy

Reply #738046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron what a chump

Reply #738047 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Did McCarron actually touch his opponent on either of those fouls?

Hes now got 4 again

Replay of last week

What a joke.

Reply #738048 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

There is so much ugly blue wall and weird 8bit shape things.

Also, it feels like so long since the bottom four teams played. Like at least 2 months ago that Adelaide played

Reply #738049 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Huge disparity in calls on contact inside.

Reply #738050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! What is it with the 3rd quarter and these rubbish calls for Perth? United getting nothing and then White goes to the line for that.

Reply #738051 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Btw. I'll MSG my sis tommoz. She wasn't on the project. But has done jobs since then. She may know someone who has an answer. Maybe.

I'll see. But I really cant promise much.

Reply #738052 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The arena on the exterior is even uglier. #Perthworld

Reply #738053 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Please excuse me asking, are Melbourne 1/18 on threes tonight?

Reply #738054 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Finally bubbles arrives

Reply #738056 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goulding slips and it's a foul? LV no doubt won't be bringing that one up.

Reply #738057 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Really, Gleeson going to complain about that call given how this Q has gone.

Reply #738058 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay fouled Goulding on the wrist anyway.

Reply #738059 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahahaha jayzus. Perth have been robbed on all the calls tonight

Reply #738060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got the Goulding one wrong but there's been many more in Perth’s favour. Gleeson is a flog!

Reply #738061 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Trev's face fouls me every time he's on screen

Reply #738062 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Imo. We have been gifted a few more this QTR. But it's all part of the script.

They want to award the cup to the best team in game 4. It's been scripted and called all postseason.

Everyone just chose the wrong team

Reply #738063 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding call wasn't wrong. He slipped over but Kay slapped him on the wrist as he was falling anyway.

Reply #738064 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Ah C'mon Angus....

That's a load of wank to call that a foul and you know it

Reply #738066 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A slap on the wrist? It's probably more than McCarron did on the fast break that he got whistled for.

Reply #738067 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The bullet train prophecy was wrong.

And now the Game 4 conspiracy theory is about to be wrong.

#wrong

Reply #738068 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

There are plenty of other calls this QTR that are disputable aswell, sure.

But that was a bad call. Gifted to the league's biggest flopper

Reply #738069 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kay didn't foul CG

But McCarron has AGAIN been unfairly sent to the bench.

Again.

United's best +/- player

Reply #738070 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure how you can consider it a bad call when Kay actually committed a foul - don't remember who it was actually assigned to. Agree that there have been lots of other crap calls though.

Reply #738071 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LV's whining. It's just wrong.

Reply #738072 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In fact he's the nbls best + -

Boone and Kennedy getting smashed inside but then they keep calling McCarron for fresh airies

Much same as first 2 games- home team has been better, but exacerbated by advantageous reffing

Reply #738073 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Might be time for the NBL to roll the dice on a couple of referees who aren't Aylen or Mayberry.

Reply #738074 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Let's all just relax and have a nice tall glass of whine, namely you, LV

Reply #738075 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Terrico 4pt play. LOL

Reply #738076 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah I probably overstepped in my comments aswell. He didn't flop. He lost his feet.. on his own

And in the he process of that. DID draw contact. I don't argue that. But the whistle had gone as if he fell due to contact. Not because he lost his footing for no reason

Reply #738077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No foul there. Bull shit refs

Reply #738078 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That Terrico 4 point play is another for the Aylen/Mayberry scrapbook.

Reply #738079 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Whiteo, I'm out. See you Sunday

Reply #738080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I read somewhere that they went blue for the Hopman cup.

Reply #738081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is with the crap calls on McCarron? I'm sick of watching this rubber show in Perth.

Reply #738082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not good even neutrals see it.

Reply #738083 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Nicely done manu

Reply #738084 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Because the NBL want the series to go all the way to a Game 5. #newconspiracy

Reply #738085 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

At the end of the day, when Casper and CG are 3/20 United will lose

But it's frustrating when the refs are making this much more of a blow out than it needs to be

Reply #738086 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

So let me get this right Perth have 14 fouls, United 16 and are shooting 9% from the 3 pt line, but it's only the refs who are influencing this game.

Reply #738088 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

It will be 3-1 PW

The "expert" commentators are never wrong

Reply #738089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the referees get assessed? Surely they need to realise that McCarron in particular has been dudded on MULTIPLE foul calls in Perth. It's a joke.

Reply #738090 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No, Melb are playing like shit. But any hope of Melbourne playing themselves back into the game that Q were demolished by some terrible refereeing - both with the calls the crew made, and those they didn't.

Reply #738091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It continues - should have been a block on Jervis, instead a charge on Boone

Reply #738092 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The refs may be horrible but Utd are gutless.

Reply #738093 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Onya Mayberry, nice make up call.

Reply #738094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm switching off - I see better refereeing at low level social games.

Reply #738095 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Vickerman should just throw the bench on here.

Reply #738096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White. Game over.

Reply #738097 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I do agree Angus. But it's been home town reffing all series.

There is no surprise. There is no favour. Just home town advantage combined with bad no-calls both ways.

But in this game especially. If we ignore that. Melbs d has been HORRIBLE...

They have given the advantage to Perth with that. You can argue calls have helped that sure. But that have been pretty shit tonight

Reply #738098 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Where's the foul for running through Goulding on that loose ball!!!!???

Bit like Damo running through DJ last week!

Reply #738099 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Carey is not enjoying this

Reply #738100 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bedtime LV. Off you go.

Reply #738101 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Me neither to be honest. At least I'm getting some work emails done.

Reply #738102 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Terrico ON FIAHHHHH

Reply #738103 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

It's extraordinary how different the teams are on their home court. So much for a tight series.

Reply #738104 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I for one am looking forward to LV's detailed analysis of all the calls that didn't go melbs way. As if it was only one way traffic.

Just like how he pointed out all the calls that went against the cats in game 2. We all appreciated how unbiased he was by going against his own team and noting the BS reffing in game 2.

So naturally we can expect him to back it up with another "unbiased" opinion of the calls in detail

Reply #738105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flop from Norton (again!!!)

Reply #738106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So flop warning, do you think the calls in this game haven't favoured Perth?

Reply #738107 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Lol anon...

Melb don't get any right to call out other teams floppers

Reply #738108 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

T White 7/10 3PT FG. Dayum.

Reply #738109 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

IMO the quality of refereeing has deteriorated each game. Game 1 I don't think the refs had a real impact one way or the other, game 2 I thought Melb got the better of the calls, and tonight the lion share has gone Perth's way. I have no doubt it will swing back to Melbourne's way on Sunday.

Reply #738110 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I've already said several times that they have.

I can do a detailed analysis of the calls if ppl want.

Nobody seems to care much about my opinion on individual calls.

But I'll do it if ppl want

Reply #738111 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Can smell that 9th championship already.

Reply #738112 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Save you all some time: Melbourne by 15 on Sunday, Perth by 20 game 5.

What a dull finish to an otherwise excellent season.

Reply #738113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen more flops from perth’s Players tonight than Melbourne. Elaborate on the flops from Melbourne tonight.

Reply #738114 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In every game:

- The home team has played much better

- The home team has been helped by the refs

Boone and Kennedy getting fouled, no calls or wrong calls, Perth getting away with contact tonight.

Meanwhile McCarrons been called for 9 fouls in about 40 minutes of time in Perth, and maybe 2 of them were there

Reply #738115 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I also agree Angus. Game 1 wasn't too bad.

2 and 3... Yeah

Has been too many home calls for comfort.

Reply #738116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without doubt this is the worst finals series I have ever seen in 30+ years of watching the NBL.

Reply #738119 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

LV

No offence. But you are way to biased to be taken as a credible source.

On McCarron. You are wrong. More than half of those fouls are there.

You can use as much slowmo footage as you want.

But in both games here he has been overage aggressive and has put himself in a position to be called.

You ignore obvious calls for the cats. But keep barking about how he is being screwed. I'd argue that 5or6/9 are definitely fouls.

Reply #738120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This grand final series has been a real let down so far. Last year's was a lot more entertaining.

Reply #738121 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Overly*

I don't know what overage aggressive is

Reply #738122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The McCarron fouls are very soft if they are there but at other end you get hammered and no call.

Reply #738126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the spectators calling what is a hard foul or a soft foul is. Last time I reff'd they were either fouls or unsportsmanlike.

Reply #738128 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Wanna stake your name to your opinion. Choose a user name. Back it up with evidence.

At least LV does that. And sticks to his guns.

An anon on here with an opinion is irrelevant. (I learnt that this season)

I'm more than willing to back my opinion up with evidence. If you wanna be taken seriously

Btw this is directed entirely at the anon above.

Then grow some balls. And sign up

Reply #738129 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Anon 2 posts up*

Reply #738130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few howlers both ways, but i thought it was probably the best reffed of the 3 games so far

Reply #738131 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

United shot 4/27 from 3, perth 14/29. But it was all the refs and the late game time.

Reply #738132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this Perth commentator talking about Hire being the standout for Perth?

Reply #738133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's harder to hit shots when fouls aren’t being called J. I’m not talking about the 3 point shooting though.

Reply #738134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What difference does it make whether you're anon or using a name which doesn’t identify you anyway? I’ll sign in as Flop Warning 2.

Reply #738135 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I agree anon, perth had the same problem in game 2. Having said that perth really dictated the shots united was taking and who was taking them.

Also pretty sure cotton got smashed multiple fouls, yet they only give him the call when he did his best goulding impression on the layup...

Reply #738137 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I don't care what name you choose.

There are just too many anons who seem to think their opinion matters.

It's not hard to sign up. If your opinion is valid. A username goes a long way to show that you stand by what you say.

Especially when it's based on ref calls. Because that's all we seem to get from anons. "OMG my team got screwed... The refs caused my team to lose by 29 points"

Reply #738138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see Melbourne over coming this smashing, Goulding and Ware can’t chuck it in the ocean.

Reply #738140 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Without doubt this is the worst finals series I have ever seen in 30+ years of watching the NBL.

I have to agree with this - it doesn't even feel like a GF series. Where is the intensity? The SF sucked too.

Reply #738141 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I can't help but feel that those who think this is the worst GF series... Haven't watched many.

Even during the cats vs breakers recent history, there were some bad series. Combined with some great games sure. But many of them were less than exciting. From a spectator perspective.

Bad reffing has been an issue for a fkn LONG time.

Reply #738144 | Report this post

For some reason I didn't enjoy 2017 Cats v Hawks GF but I'm probs wrong

Reply #738146 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2013 was worse, but this is more of a letdown considering the season that led up to it and both GF teams being full strength.

Regarding the colour scheme, the venue was designed around the Hopman Cup, the colours match those of a tennis court.

Reply #738147 | Report this post

Also I think going back to best of 3 is best

There is no need for a best of 5 really

Reply #738148 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[On McCarron. You are wrong. More than half of those fouls are there.]

If they were reffing Perth the same way, Damien Martin would've been fouled off both games too.

If Perth's defensive efforts in the key were reffed like McCarron, United would've had another 10 trips to the free throw line.

Kennedy goes to the hoop, Kay impedes his path. No call. That exact same play was a foul at least 10 times across the first 2 games.

Goulding gets front position to a loose ball. Someone (Kay?) Knocks him over. No call.

Boone gets hit under the hoop. No call.

Later, Boone gets a charge. Replay showed Jervis still moving across after Boone got into the air. Very similar to Casper/Norton in overtime earlier in season.

Again, to be clear. United did not deserve to win. Nowhere near it.

But again, home town reffing. The NBL does need to get better at this. It's frustrating to watch.

Reply #738151 | Report this post

"There are just too many anons who seem to think their opinion matters."

There are just to many people that have some wanky Nicks that have an opinion that are equally worthless.
You have a wanky nick and the bullies will target you.
Its a forum ffs. I know exactly who LV is and I have met her ;) Equally I know a few others here. But who really gives a shit about whether you have a nick or not.
Go to Bunnings, buy some wood, build a bridge and fuck off if you dont like it

Reply #738152 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

29 point annihilation where a random from the crowd hit more threes in 30 seconds than United managed in the entire game, and the thread is all about reffing. Never change, Hoops!

Reply #738154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a surprise. LV bitching about the refs after a loss.

Reply #738156 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Seems I made some "friends" tonight.

On the back of totally valid comments

Reply #738157 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Nah just over it

It really sucks watching your team get destroyed, ref bashing is a good way of letting off steam :-)

Seriously though, I can't remember a player getting done over by the refs in two games in quick succession like McCarron has been in Games 1 and 3.

1st foul- white jumpshot 305 1st. Didn't touch him.

2nd foul- Cotton fast break. Soft. Same call wasn't made on Perth tonight.

3rd foul- white drive 518 3rd. Replay wasnt shown. Looked all ball but hard to be sure.

4th foul- White fast break. Didn't touch him.

After last week, he surely can't believe his luck.

Reply #738160 | Report this post

Home cooking wins the GF

Melbs have 0 chance

Reply #738161 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In other words, McCarron had 4 fouls tonight.

1 was for very minor body Contact as Cotton went past him.

Another for taking a swipe on White's drive. Got ball. Did he get arm too? Looked all ball on replay and judging by reactions of McCarron, Boone and Vickerman I'm thinking he got only ball.

Then two other fouls on White where he didn't touch him.

It's actually astonishing that he's been screwed two weeks in a row.

United really needs to shoot better though. Yes they were both defended well but Casper and CG shot terribly, and both got some decent looks.

Perth got 12 O boards, which is less than their average I'd guess. United had 10 turnovers, despite a couple of bad ones early. Those are decent numbers.

But you can't shoot 4 from 27 from 3 and expect to win a playoff game.

I'm tipping this Jekyll and Hyde series continues. Bring on Sunday.

Reply #738162 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I'm over this season it has dragged on long enough it would be great if Perth just get the next win and finish the season.

Reply #738163 | Report this post

Oh we will ;)

Reply #738164 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Not over yet but very close, every team get's those calls at home. Perth go to Melbourne knowing they are playing for chip!

Reply #738167 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"There is no need for a best of 5 really"

There's a question. Is there any reason other than commercial for a best of 5 GF series in the NBL? How often has the team leading the series after 3 games gone on to lose in 5? Would be interesting to know.

I’ve never been a fan of best of 5+. It always feels like it’s being dragged out. It’s a bit like when the last 2 minutes of a fast and exciting game gets slowed down and dragged out with multiple time outs, fouls and video replays. It tends to suck the excitement out of the ending, for me.

Reply #738179 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

That Perth hype man running the sidelines behind the score bench is certainly something...

Reply #738186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The have to to be closer together in best five, it's dragged out to long. Friday, Sunday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday.
The refereeing has been atrocious, some of the calls are horrendous both ways but at Perth it’s even worse. The nbl have to stop the coaches getting at the refs, Gleeson in Perth refs the game, calls every play a foul on his side, Wright is the same, it’s got to stop.

Reply #738191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth has 12/13 players score including 2 DP's. Only player not to score was Greg Hire and he had a few chances in junk time. I wonder if any team has had 12 (or 13) scorers before?

Reply #738192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne want Kennedy crashing the boards, but that's leaving White open on the three, White has to be marked a lot closer.

Reply #738194 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The level of defence we played last night ... I didn't think we had it in us anymore to do that over a sustained period.
First half was intense, but United couldn't keep it going after half time. Give a home team a sniff of blood and it can blow out in a hurry. So pretty much a mirror image of game 2.
Cotton still being very well contained but he's walking the line pretty well in terms of staying aggressive without forcing it too hard, and knowing that there's help elsewhere on the floor.
Greg Hire mentioned on his podcast this week the way that home court seems to be of particular benefit to the bench guys and role players and that was evident last night. I rate Melbourne's bench highly but it barely fired a shot in this game. Jervis, Wagstaff, Steindl & Norton were all important contributors for us.
I wonder what Damo's 3P% is at home vs on the road. Pretty handy when he can go 2/2 while CW+CG combine for 2/15. Going into last night's game I thought one of those two was going to get loose, and am happy to have been wrong about it.

I don't think either of these teams carry scars from big losses though, so a 50 point turnaround wouldn't surprise me at all.

Reply #738195 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nice to see so many points on my wish-list getting ticked.
White came back with a vengeance. (He was good in game 2, but 3 point shooting let him down.) Last night drained 7.
Jervis I thought stepped up, and I think played better than the stats indicate. I would have sworn he got more than 1 board?
Wagstaff didn't do a lot offensively, but grabbed 5 boards.
Steindl opened with that big three then went quiet, but showed a lot of defensive intensity.

Perth's perimeter defence was outstanding, but does that alone explain 14% shooting from Melbourne?

Reply #738197 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tom didn't rake in boards but he still more than held his own at the 5 spot while he was out there. Set good screens & got to the right spots, played proactively, defended well, all while avoiding too many of his trademark pointless fouls and general moments of unco. Any time he draws more fouls than he commits that's a win, and I thought last night was a classic case of the stats not reflecting his full value in the result.
He has been mostly underwhelming for 3 seasons so it was a timely game to step back up.

Reply #738201 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

LV there is no way Kay knocked over Goulding. That guy hits the deck faster Christiano Ronaldo.

You can only complain about the refs if one of your best 5 gets ejected after being head butted twice with video erasing technology that magically can't see those headbutts during the game. Oh whoops, we are not allowed to complain about that either.

Since the start of United the focus from fans across the league has been about United in name, not united in nature. That was 5 players against 1 team last night. Hence they got blown off the court.

Reply #738213 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That Perth hype man running the sidelines behind the score bench is certainly something...

He also does the same role for my other team the Wolves in SBL. I honestly don't know what to make of the guy.

Reply #738223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and judging by reactions of McCarron, Boone and Vickerman I'm thinking he got only ball. "

Oh I see. If a player protests the right way, then it means he didn't commit the foul! Such brilliant logic!

Of all the dumb LV comments in the past week or so, this one takes the cake.

Reply #738226 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Semis sweeps, home blowout GFs. Only thing that would make it more disappointing is if we don't ever get the tension that goes with a game 5 GF decider.

Reply #738229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sacking of Trist never helped either, he was a liability on D, but Jois has been more bad, has no understanding of game plan can't play D, but is highly athletic, has a hype machine behind him but that doesn’t make him basketballer. His dunk last night got huge commentary rap but any one in the league his height would’ve dunked it. Team harmony matters.

Reply #738233 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Melbourne never in it. Almost from the tip off. McCarron not aggressive enough. Casper and Goulding tried to carry the load and it came off badly, poor shot after poor shot. Series over for mine even if Perth have to go to 5. Perth bigs jump and double Casper and effectively take him out of the offense. McCarron is key for Melbourne. He is the only one Casper aside to create a shot or pass.

Reply #738242 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Bookmakers have Melbourne winning game 4 by 9pts. Thoughts?

They have Wildcats as hot favourites to win the championship though.

Reply #738258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754